> Trade Speculation, Carmelo Anthony, Elton Brand, Emeka Okafor
SoxFan1
post May 24 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

QUOTE (Daily Herald)
If the Bulls are thinking blockbuster, a good place to start would be Denver's Carmelo Anthony, the league's fourth-leading scorer at 25.7 points.

Anthony's agent, Calvin Andrews, told both Denver papers Wednesday that his client is not being shopped. But the Nuggets need some sort of makeover. Despite the league's third-highest payroll, Denver barely made the postseason and is 4-20 in playoff games since Anthony arrived in 2003.

Maybe acquiring Hinrich and Luol Deng in a sign-and-trade would help the Nuggets establish some semblance of a defensive identity. Another player such as center Stephen Hunter would have to go to the Bulls to make the salaries add up.

Anthony would be an interesting addition for the Bulls because he's a top-notch scorer who gets to the foul line and can play inside.

If that doesn't work, what about Hinrich and Drew Gooden to the Clippers for Elton Brand? The Clippers could lose Brand next year in free agency, so they might want something now in return. The bad news is the former Bulls' No. 1 pick played just eight games last season because of a torn Achilles.

Another power forward who may be available is Charlotte's Emeka Okafor, a restricted free agent. The Bobcats don't have a great need for more guards, however. Hinrich could conceivably go to Seattle for his college roommate, Nick Collison, plus project center Johan Petro.

Hopefully Kirk Hinrich has better trade value than we all assume.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dasox24
post May 24 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #2

Starter

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 84

This is intriguing. Any of those players would definitely help the team. Obviously, Brand would be great b/c he's that true low-post scorer we need and he has been here before. For one, I'm not too worried about his injury b/c he relies on talent, not athleticism to be effective.

And then 'Melo would be great b/c he's 'Melo. 'Nuff Said. People like to point out his 4-20 record in the playoffs, but he led Syracuse to a National Championship as a Freshman, so I'm not too worried about the leadership side of things with him. Regardless, I'm not sure he'd be my first option. I'd rather have Brand and keep Deng.

Okafor would be pretty good too. He would be a big upgrade down low on both ends of the floor, that's for sure. He would provide a true low-post presence for us to stick next to Noah as well as give us a bigger frontcourt than we've had since the Curry/Chandler years. One thing that worried me a little is that other than this past season, he was injured in parts of his 1st 3 seasons. Though, since he started and played in all 82 games this season, I'd have to imagine his injury problems were more just bad luck.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post May 24 2008, 01:28 AM
Post #3

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

I'd take Melo but I highly doubt Denver would even consider trading him for what the Bulls have to offer.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post May 24 2008, 09:59 AM
Post #4

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 24 2008, 01:44 AM) *
This is intriguing. Any of those players would definitely help the team. Obviously, Brand would be great b/c he's that true low-post scorer we need and he has been here before. For one, I'm not too worried about his injury b/c he relies on talent, not athleticism to be effective.

And then 'Melo would be great b/c he's 'Melo. 'Nuff Said. People like to point out his 4-20 record in the playoffs, but he led Syracuse to a National Championship as a Freshman, so I'm not too worried about the leadership side of things with him. Regardless, I'm not sure he'd be my first option. I'd rather have Brand and keep Deng.

Okafor would be pretty good too. He would be a big upgrade down low on both ends of the floor, that's for sure. He would provide a true low-post presence for us to stick next to Noah as well as give us a bigger frontcourt than we've had since the Curry/Chandler years. One thing that worried me a little is that other than this past season, he was injured in parts of his 1st 3 seasons. Though, since he started and played in all 82 games this season, I'd have to imagine his injury problems were more just bad luck.

I'm really torn on whether I'd want Brand or Okafor. I really like Okafor and I think in the right system he'd put up better numbers than he has in Charlotte. He's never really played with a PF for any consistent period of time. I think him and Deng/Noah/Okafor could be the best defensive frontcourt in all of baskteball. And Rose/Thabo could be the best defensive backcourt eventually (if Thabo ever improves enough offensively to become an everyday starter). We would be a sick defensive team capable of running the floor with our PG wing players and Noah.

I also like Okafor b/c he's only turning 26. Brand on the other hand just turned 29. If Rose takes 2-3 years to develop into a superstar PG then that means Brand will be 31-32 and the window with which he can lead us to a title would be short. While Brand doesn't necessarily rely on athleticism to dominate he will need to retain what little athleticism he has into his 30's. I'm not sure that will happen especially if he goes through any more injury rehabs.

The one are I really like Brand more than Okafor is with the FT shooting. Okafor is a liability at the line and we need a player that can knock down free throws in the playoffs especially when you consider that Rose struggled from the line at times. I personally think Rose will bring his FT% up to the 80% mark in the NBA but you never know.

Okafor is more of a center than Brand which is also a plus. I think Noah still needs to get a lot stronger to maximize his potential at center. I think he could be a very effective 4 playing next to Okafor (much like Tyson was next to Curry).

Either way, we need to get some help for Noah. I like Gooden but I'd like to see us get a great PF like Brand that demands a double team and frees Noah up to grab more offensive boards or a very good C like Okafor who allows Noah to guard the smaller 4's and also improves our chances of grabbing every rebound.

+Quote Post
heirdog
post May 27 2008, 08:31 AM
Post #5

Rookie

Member No.: 171

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=8841

Quote:
An informed source confided last week that if Chicago really wanted Carmelo Anthony, it would take Luol Deng, Tyrus Thomas, Chris Duhon and the number 1 pick this year, and a future number 1 in the next two years.

Apparently, that is the asking price for Anthony. Thanks...but no thanks.

+Quote Post
rangercal
post May 27 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #6

Bench

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (heirdog @ May 27 2008, 03:40 PM) *
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=8841

Quote:
An informed source confided last week that if Chicago really wanted Carmelo Anthony, it would take Luol Deng, Tyrus Thomas, Chris Duhon and the number 1 pick this year, and a future number 1 in the next two years.

Apparently, that is the asking price for Anthony. Thanks...but no thanks.

Replace all the picks with Gordon/Hinrich and then you may have something that works. even then, that seems like it's pretty steep.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 27 2008, 10:06 AM
Post #7

Superstar

Member No.: 23

There are 4 players in the league I would swap the #1 pick for. James, Paul, Bryant, and Wade. And then I'd only be willing to add enough guys to account for the cap space, and I'd expect a nice bit back in return. So they're asking for anything involving this year's #1, HA.

+Quote Post
cars
post May 27 2008, 10:48 AM
Post #8

Rookie

Member No.: 210

Dwayne Wade = Too ouchy to give up the number one pick. Games played per year:

1- 61
2- 77
3- 75
4- 51
5- 51

I'm starting to fear that with all his injuries, Wade is going to end up going the Penny Hardaway route.

+Quote Post
rangercal
post May 27 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #9

Bench

Member No.: 7

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 27 2008, 05:15 PM) *
There are 4 players in the league I would swap the #1 pick for. James, Paul, Bryant, and Wade. And then I'd only be willing to add enough guys to account for the cap space, and I'd expect a nice bit back in return. So they're asking for anything involving this year's #1, HA.

Howard

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post May 27 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #10

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (rangercal @ May 27 2008, 10:11 AM) *
Howard

I'm not sure if I'd give it up for him, honestly.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 27 2008, 11:20 AM
Post #11

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 27 2008, 12:18 PM) *
I'm not sure if I'd give it up for him, honestly.

You're freaking insane and completely wrong.

Thank God you are not my GM!

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post May 27 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #12

Superstar

Member No.: 73

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 27 2008, 11:15 AM) *

I wouldn't do it for Wade. He's already been injured waaay too much for my liking and its not like its going to change, he plays one way and one way only. I'd rather just wait and pry him over here when his contract runs up.

+Quote Post
RME JICO
post May 27 2008, 11:57 AM
Post #13

Bench

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 27 2008, 11:15 AM) *

I would take Wade off the list, and add Stoudemire, Deron Williams, and Dwight Howard.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post May 27 2008, 03:46 PM
Post #14

All-Star

Member No.: 43

Regardless of who's on your list, Carmelo clearly isn't (especially not with plenty more added). But just for fun, I'll add Chris Bosh. tongue.gif That's an iffier one though, you know you're getting a very good big man but he's not quite as dominant as Howard.

+Quote Post
cars
post May 27 2008, 04:26 PM
Post #15

Rookie

Member No.: 210

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 27 2008, 04:55 PM) *
Regardless of who's on your list, Carmelo clearly isn't (especially not with plenty more added). But just for fun, I'll add Chris Bosh. tongue.gif That's an iffier one though, you know you're getting a very good big man but he's not quite as dominant as Howard.

I think Howard is a guy you can build around. Bosh is a supplemental guy who can be a piece of the puzzle, but not the center piece. He doesn't rebound or block shots well enough for me to be the guy for the number one pick.

But a guy like him makes Deng much better, and Gordon makes Bosh better.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:27 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home