Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pau Gasol revisited
madisonsmadhouse
post May 1 2007, 05:20 AM
Post #1

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

Thinking back the deal was Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, and the Knicks first round pick for Pau Gasol. If we made that deal, do we still beat the Heat?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eddog2
post May 1 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #2

Leading Scorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 193

ADMIN EDIT

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post May 1 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #3

6th Man

Member No.: 214

Looking at that trade now, we would have gotten hammered by Miami if we did that. That trade would have destroyed the future of this team.

Portions of this post have been edited by an Admin.

+Quote Post
RME JICO
post May 1 2007, 11:56 AM
Post #4

Bench

Member No.: 14

QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ May 1 2007, 05:13 AM) *
Thinking back the deal was Ben Gordon, Luol Deng, and the Knicks first round pick for Pau Gasol. If we made that deal, do we still beat the Heat?

No way we beat Miami. That would have been a horrible trade. I thought it was just Gordon or just Deng and not both.

Portions of this post edited by an Admin.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post May 1 2007, 12:25 PM
Post #5

All-Star

Member No.: 43

We were always trying to push Gordon or Deng in the trade, but all indications were they wanted both. There was no way we were going to do that, it would have been absolutely ridiculous...

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post May 1 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #6

Superstar

Member No.: 12

I've cleaned up the thread, so don't ask why your posts have been edited. Someone went a bit over the line.

And in hindsight, I am glad we didn't make the deal. I still think if we could somehow have dealt Gordon for Gasol, it would make this team twice as dangerous.

It would improve our defense as we could insert Thabo at he 2, and then Gasol's presence would draw double teams and leave Deng open often for the mid-range jumper.

Kirk - Thabo - Deng - Gasol - Wallace

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post May 1 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #7

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ May 1 2007, 01:33 PM) *
I've cleaned up the thread, so don't ask why your posts have been edited. Someone went a bit over the line.

And in hindsight, I am glad we didn't make the deal. I still think if we could somehow have dealt Gordon for Gasol, it would make this team twice as dangerous.

It would improve our defense as we could insert Thabo at he 2, and then Gasol's presence would draw double teams and leave Deng open often for the mid-range jumper.

Kirk - Thabo - Deng - Gasol - Wallace

But dealing Gordon more than likely would have included Tyrus and the Knicks pick or multiple 2nds... no thanks.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post May 1 2007, 01:20 PM
Post #8

All-Star

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1 2007, 01:18 PM) *
We were always trying to push Gordon or Deng in the trade, but all indications were they wanted both. There was no way we were going to do that, it would have been absolutely ridiculous...

Everything I ever read said that Memphis wouldn't budge off of both Deng/Gordon plus the #1 pick. I think if could have left Deng out of the deal, it would have happened.

+Quote Post
soxfan101
post May 1 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #9

Bench

Member No.: 56

From what I heard, the Grizzlies at first wanted both Deng/Gordon, but than at the end they layed off of Gordon and only wanted Deng as the center piece of the trade.

+Quote Post
BobDylan
post May 1 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #10

Rookie

Member No.: 399

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 1 2007, 01:18 PM) *

I never wanted to give up either, let alone both. Pax probably would've lost his job if he gave up both. The team would be in a pile of dung if they'd gave both. Gasol has no clue what defense is. Skiles would've lost the rest of his hair.

The line-up would be something like...

Kirk, Duhon, Noc, Gasol, Wallace

That's actually not that bad, but they lose a lot of defensive ability in Deng, lose a lot of scoring punch in Gordon/Deng and lose even more depth off the bench.

+Quote Post
soxfan101
post May 2 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #11

Bench

Member No.: 56

QUOTE (BobDylan @ May 1 2007, 07:42 PM) *
I never wanted to give up either, let alone both. Pax probably would've lost his job if he gave up both. The team would be in a pile of dung if they'd gave both. Gasol has no clue what defense is. Skiles would've lost the rest of his hair.

The line-up would be something like...

Kirk, Duhon, Noc, Gasol, Wallace

That's actually not that bad, but they lose a lot of defensive ability in Deng, lose a lot of scoring punch in Gordon/Deng and lose even more depth off the bench.

In the deal that would of sent both Deng/Gordon we would of got Hakim Warrick in return.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post May 2 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #12

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

I'm pretty happy with this team and where it is going.... but lets not get crazy. Just because the path we are on looks to be going good doesn't mean the other route wasn't as good or better.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post May 2 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #13

Superstar

Member No.: 73

Wait, since when was the trade Deng and Gordon plus a first round pick? Did Pax leak something out or is it just me??

Anyways, just because we advanced in the playoffs doesn't mean we still don't need a low post scorer. Deng has alot of talent and I can't be mad at paxson for not going through with the trade even though I was initially. The way things look now, he made a good move because Luol is tearing it up in the playoffs.

We have alot of options this summer, esecially if we get a top 3-5 pick biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
eddog2
post May 2 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 2 2007, 09:56 PM) *
Wait, since when was the trade Deng and Gordon plus a first round pick? Did Pax leak something out or is it just me??

Anyways, just because we advanced in the playoffs doesn't mean we still don't need a low post scorer. Deng has alot of talent and I can't be mad at paxson for not going through with the trade even though I was initially. The way things look now, he made a good move because Luol is tearing it up in the playoffs.

We have alot of options this summer, esecially if we get a top 3-5 pick biggrin.gif

We can't get a 3-5 pick. We could get the 3 but it is not possible to get the 4th or 5th. We could end up with 1-3, otherwise the picks are set by record after that which would mean a pick somewhere around 9-11.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post May 2 2007, 10:23 PM
Post #15

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 2 2007, 08:56 PM) *

Basically every outlet was reporting that was the asking price. The only debate is whether it dropped or not towards the end. A couple of links (I'm sure there are a few better sources, but I'm lazy):

NBA Unplugged

NBA Rumor Mill

Basically it's all speculation in these situations, but it sounds like the BEST we could have gotten away with was probably Deng, Thomas, Brown, and the pick. Some people suggested less, but it seems iffy to me because the Grizzlies certainly didn't sound like they were trying to be reasonable.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 10:58 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home