IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> This guy intrigues me more than those 2 stiffs, Hawes and Noah...
Wanne
post Jun 12 2007, 02:29 PM
Post #1

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 61

Who I'd probably puke if Pax took either one of them.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Colorado State's Jason Smith might not own the predraft pedigree that Florida's Joakim Noah or China's Yi Jianlian possess.

Even Washington freshman Spencer Hawes, with two fewer seasons of experience than Smith, ranks higher on most draft lists.

But that doesn't mean Smith, the center-power forward who measured 6 feet 11 1/2 inches at the NBA predraft camp in Orlando, hasn't caught the Bulls' attention.

From stellar physical testing in Orlando—he surpassed Noah and Hawes in strength, agility and jumping—to Monday's workout at the Berto Center, Smith has impressed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 12 2007, 04:08 PM
Post #2

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 43

He is an interesting option. He's pretty athletic and can score. He can hit jumpers even as far out as the NBA 3-point line (though more effective from top of the key in), and though not quite as deadly inside as Hawes he can score in there. He'd probably be at least on par with Hawes if he had faced better competition in college.

Strength is his major drawback though, he'll likely struggle early inside in the NBA. He'll likely be more of a Euro-style big man for a while: a jump-shooting big with suspect D and rebounding. As of right now he'd also probably be a bit of a reach. He could be a pretty solid fit though, and I'm sure the Bulls will consider him.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 12 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #3

Superstar

Member No.: 23

The mock drafts around seem to have him mostly going somewhere between 15-20. Just on paper, if we were to get him, I'd prefer it was done in the "Trade down" type mode, because it looks like there's no way he should crack the top 10. I could still see someone (atlanta?) moving up a few spots to take a crack at Conley if he falls.

+Quote Post
Iguana
post Jun 12 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #4

Rookie

Member No.: 91

Interesting. how bout a scouting report on him? anyone?

+Quote Post
bulls91
post Jun 12 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 70

QUOTE (Iguana @ Jun 12 2007, 08:40 PM) *
Interesting. how bout a scouting report on him? anyone?

NBA Comparison: Brian Cook
Strengths: 7-footer who shows solid mobility, able to run the court with no problems … Active player who constantly works the blocks to get open … Has developed into an above average rebounder … Underrated post passer who does a good job of recognizing double teams and reacting to them … Fundamentally sound player with few bad habits … Does a good job of keeping the ball high and not putting it on the floor after receiving the ball … For his size Smith is an adequate ball handler … Once Smith gets position in the post he makes his body wide giving his guards a bigger target … Great post footwork, and moves with good fluidity … Offensively he has range out to 18 feet when facing the basket … Excels at taking advantage of size mismatches … Back to the basket skills are still developing but have improved greatly … Owns a nice turnaround jumper in the post … Mobility allows him to be a sufficient help defender … Shows good touch around the basket where he is a solid finisher … Better athlete than he's given credit for as he is more than capable of getting off the floor quickly … Does a great job of creating contact and getting to the free throw line …

Weaknesses: Back to the basket moves have greatly improved but are still very much a work in progress … Needs to continue to add more upper body strength … Struggles to establish position against physical defenders as he can easily get pushed off the blocks … Rebounding has improved greatly this year but he needs to focus on boxing out better … Doesn’t always finish strong after absorbing contact … Above average shot blocker in college but likely will not be as fortunate in the NBA … Will need to upgrade his foot speed while adding weight, which could be a challenge … Athletic opponents tend to frustrate him defensively on the perimeter … Needs to take care of the ball better when making offesnive moves … Doesn’t shy away from contact but certainly does not seek it out … Lacks the killer instinct to consistently dominate games …

This is from nbadraft.net

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jun 12 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #6

Superstar

Member No.: 12

Brian Cook, while one of my favorites at UofI, doesn't have much of a post game.

+Quote Post
sport1016
post Jun 13 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #7

Starter

Group: Global Moderators

Member No.: 98

between him and mcroberts......

I am getting the feeling we could be trading down in the draft

maybe trading our pick and duhon (everyone says he's on the block) etc for a vet and a lower pick?

who's picking between 10-20 who might give us a veteran big?

sacto at 10-rahim?
charlotte at 22-brezec?
phx at 24-marion/amare?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...what am i missing here.......some sort of whirlwind scenario with Portland?

if we can get a vet who scores some and still have a pick, i'm down

+Quote Post
FromWayDowntown
post Jun 13 2007, 06:47 AM
Post #8

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 54

The more I'm thinking about it, the more I feel that a big man will be traded to Chicago and we can then afford to draft BPA, or that Tyrus Thomas' game will improve by leaps and bounds.

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 13 2007, 01:51 PM
Post #9

Superstar

Wow, this guy may well be a fast-riser. SI just put out a mock draft with him going 8th.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 13 2007, 02:07 PM
Post #10

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 13 2007, 02:44 PM) *
Wow, this guy may well be a fast-riser. SI just put out a mock draft with him going 8th.

Um, that link goes to a mock that has him going 19th. blink.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if he shot up though, athletic big guys typically move up, especially if they're not as well known as some of the other players where teams have had more of a chance to analyze their flaws (not sure why it works that way, it just seems to).

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Jun 13 2007, 03:49 PM
Post #11

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 13 2007, 01:00 PM) *
Um, that link goes to a mock that has him going 19th. blink.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if he shot up though, athletic big guys typically move up, especially if they're not as well known as some of the other players where teams have had more of a chance to analyze their flaws (not sure why it works that way, it just seems to).

OK, yeah, ignore my post. Yeesh was i asleep this morning.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jun 13 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #12

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

http://youtube.com/watch?v=C7g95JFkIVI

He looks pretty athletic in this clip. I definately like what I see in the video. Definately looks like he has upside. However, I'm worried whether or not he'll be big enough to play PF in the NBA. Everyone in the clip looked smaller but he didn't look that big either. Maybe he'll grow into his body in a few years. I really don't know much about him so it would be hard to tell how good he is defensively.

I'd like to see how he does against Spencer Hawes 1 on 1. If he outperforms him I'd definately be okay with the Bulls taking him over Hawes and possibly taking him at 9 or moving down a couple spots. However, if Yi's there I want the Bulls to take Yi over either player.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jun 14 2007, 11:31 AM
Post #13

All-Star

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jun 13 2007, 11:11 PM) *
http://youtube.com/watch?v=C7g95JFkIVI

He looks pretty athletic in this clip. I definately like what I see in the video. Definately looks like he has upside. However, I'm worried whether or not he'll be big enough to play PF in the NBA. Everyone in the clip looked smaller but he didn't look that big either. Maybe he'll grow into his body in a few years. I really don't know much about him so it would be hard to tell how good he is defensively.

I'd like to see how he does against Spencer Hawes 1 on 1. If he outperforms him I'd definately be okay with the Bulls taking him over Hawes and possibly taking him at 9 or moving down a couple spots. However, if Yi's there I want the Bulls to take Yi over either player.

Yi at 9 is starting to look REALLY solid over these other guys, he appears to be the far better prospect. I have my doubts that he'd be there (though there are rumors of the Bulls trading up to get him).

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jun 14 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #14

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 14 2007, 12:24 PM) *
Yi at 9 is starting to look REALLY solid over these other guys, he appears to be the far better prospect. I have my doubts that he'd be there (though there are rumors of the Bulls trading up to get him).

For sure. If Yi's there, I don't think there's any way Paxson could or should pass on him. But never say never with the Bulls.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:11 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home