IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Curry trade 2 years removed, what would you rather have?
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 2 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Superstar

Group: Members
Member No.: 73

Basically the Curry trade came down to, Chicago giving away Eddy for Thomas and Noah. Im asking you, was it now worthit? Would you rather have these two in comparison to Curry? I myself probably would rather have Curry because he's that one guy we need who can score lol. I don't know what that would have done for Tyson's sake but Curry IMO is better than Tyrus and Noah. Whats your take?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SoxFan1
post Jul 2 2007, 03:16 PM
Post #2

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 12

I'm going to have to agree. This is part of the reason I didn't like the Noah and Tyrus picks. We traded a very good low post scorers for 2 athletic players who can't score.

Right now, give me Curry over Ty and Noah and we have a pretty looking team.

+Quote Post
Wanne
post Jul 2 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #3

6th Man

Member No.: 61

I think I'm going to disagree. With Curry we didn't really know what we were going to get. His conditioning, his health, his attitude, etc... I love the upside of Tyrus and the energy he brings to the court. With Eddie...I never really saw the energy...or the boards. So it comes down to the O of Eddie...or his lack of rebounding...or at times lack of commitment.. So who was the PF that was going to make up for the D rebounds if we kept Eddie?

With Noah...although I'm still not crazy about the pick...I'm hoping Pax can parlay it into something.

+Quote Post
BG7
post Jul 2 2007, 04:00 PM
Post #4

10 Day Contract

Member No.: 129

What we're all forgetting here is that the Eddy Curry trade can't be looked at from a raw perspective. To the common eye, it appears we gained Tyrus and Joakim for Eddy Curry.

In actuality, we cleared major salary space with the Eddy Curry trade to get a temporary low post assistance from Antonio Davis, a veteran. When we traded away Tyson Chandler, we dumped even more salary cap space. Then what did Paxson do? Wrote a big fat check to lure Ben Wallace to Chicago. So the Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler trades not only yielded Joakim and Tyrus, but cleared the way to be able to afford Ben Wallace while still keeping enough salary space available to possibly trade our accumulation of young players for a superstar.

Like countless media has already said, the Bulls have all the pieces to make a blockbuster trade. It all depends on Paxson's poker face now.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 2 2007, 06:01 PM
Post #5

All-Star

Member No.: 43

It is interesting that Curry fills our biggest need quite nicely. However, he wasn't going to stay, there's just no way. Between refusing to to take that test to constantly getting on Skiles' nerves he wasn't too likely to be around for the long term.

+Quote Post
Chisoxfn
post Jul 2 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #6

All-Star

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2 2007, 02:09 PM) *
I'm going to have to agree. This is part of the reason I didn't like the Noah and Tyrus picks. We traded a very good low post scorers for 2 athletic players who can't score.

Right now, give me Curry over Ty and Noah and we have a pretty looking team.

Had we known what we do now (That Curry would be healthy) there is absolutely no way I'd make that trade. However, I understand the logic of the deal at the time and think the move was a very shrewd one by Paxson.

However, Eddy Curry would have been the absolute answer to this teams low post concerns.

+Quote Post
TeaLeafReaderII
post Jul 2 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #7

Skills Competitor

Group: Forum Moderator

Member No.: 52

QUOTE (BG7 @ Jul 2 2007, 04:53 PM) *
What we're all forgetting here is that the Eddy Curry trade can't be looked at from a raw perspective. To the common eye, it appears we gained Tyrus and Joakim for Eddy Curry.

In actuality, we cleared major salary space with the Eddy Curry trade to get a temporary low post assistance from Antonio Davis, a veteran. When we traded away Tyson Chandler, we dumped even more salary cap space. Then what did Paxson do? Wrote a big fat check to lure Ben Wallace to Chicago. So the Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler trades not only yielded Joakim and Tyrus, but cleared the way to be able to afford Ben Wallace while still keeping enough salary space available to possibly trade our accumulation of young players for a superstar.

Like countless media has already said, the Bulls have all the pieces to make a blockbuster trade. It all depends on Paxson's poker face now.

I think you have a fuzzy memory. The Curry deal also sent Antonio Davis away. It was something like Curry and Davis for Tim Thomas, Mike Sweetney, one first rounder, and the right to swap another first rounder.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 2 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #8

Superstar

The deal came down to draft picks, is what we got in return and those picks turned out to be Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah and IMO Eddy Curry > TT and Noah. Also I might as well throw in Chandler + Curry > Tyrus + Wallace.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 2 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #9

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 2 2007, 04:41 PM) *
So who was the PF that was going to make up for the D rebounds if we kept Eddy?

I think we had a guy like that. His name was Tyson Chandler. I really think this team would have been 10 times better of had they kept Tyson and Eddie. I really think we'd be a championship team if we had done that.

I know it's to late to think what if, but I seriously think the 2 of them only needed a couple more seasons together before the team was really going to take off. However, Paxson wanted this team to be his creation and thus sent the Krause experiment packing. For all the bad picks Krause made, he got it right when he picked Curry and Tyson. (however, not for Elton Brand). You can't look at Tyson and blame him b/c he was the reason Brand was traded.

Curry
Tyson/Nocioni
Deng/Nocioni
Gordon/Sefolosha (possibly)
Hinrich/Duhon

Curry $8.947, Tyson $10.5, Gordon $4.8, Hinrich $11, Deng $3.2, Duhon $3.2, Nocioni ($6 million), Sefolosha $1.8

= $48.47 miillion (not including the raise that Gordon and Deng are going to get next year). So that means we'd have roughly $17 million for the remaining 7 roster spots plus the increases to Deng and Gordon. Assuming we could fill 7 roster spots at $800K each that is $5.6 million. We'd have $11.4 million to split b/t Deng and Gordon. Give $4.2 to Gordon and he's making $9 million a year. Give the other $7.2 to Deng and he's making $10.4 million. Either way this works out better than what we currently have going on with Wallace's rediculous contract.

Not to mention that Tyson would have never been offered more than $10 million if Eddy didn't leave and the Bulls weren't in the corner.

I think that Paxson ruined something great when he let them go. I thought it then and I still think it now. Hopefully, everything works out and we still become a great team that wins multiple titles. But if we don't I know where I'm going to be pointing my finger.

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 2 2007, 07:28 PM
Post #10

Superstar

It was basically rebuilding all over again. Tyson and Eddy were just becoming great players until they got traded. We just started that whole process over with Tyrus and Noah. I realize Paxson has his own plan but my god, Curry and Chandler were towers together, one was a defensive player and the other was an offensive juggernaught (sp?). I don't know about championship because I don't know if Tyson or Eddy would have put the numbers they did this year up with the current Bulls team but they'd be in much better shape to win it all.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 2 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #11

All-Star

The what-if game isn't all that simple though, because AT LEAST one of Curry, Chandler, Hinrich, Gordon, and Deng would almost certainly gone by now. Curry and Chandler both got major deals (Curry got 6-60, Tyson got 6-64), obviously Hinrich signed a sizeable extension as well, and Deng and Gordon are going to get pretty big ones as well. Even if it weren't for the heart thing I'm not entirely sure we would have re-signed Curry for that kind of deal...

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 2 2007, 07:47 PM
Post #12

All-Star

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 2 2007, 07:21 PM) *
It was basically rebuilding all over again. Tyson and Eddy were just becoming great players until they got traded. We just started that whole process over with Tyrus and Noah. I realize Paxson has his own plan but my god, Curry and Chandler were towers together, one was a defensive player and the other was an offensive juggernaught (sp?). I don't know about championship because I don't know if Tyson or Eddy would have put the numbers they did this year up with the current Bulls team but they'd be in much better shape to win it all.

Um, I think you're revising history a bit. Eddy was averaging 16 a game, but missed 19 regular season games and the playoffs, as well as giving you only 5.3 rebounds and lackluster defense, and Chandler was coming off a year where he averaged 5.3 points and 9.1 rebounds while fouling at a high rate. It sure didn't look like they were both worth $10 mil a year at that point. Hell, Tyson was a downright liability most of the time, and Curry was often MIA in the 4th because Skiles was afraid of his D in close games. Heck, even LAST year on the Knicks Curry wasn't worth it. I can't really fault the logic at all, except that I'd have liked to see us get more for Chandler.

It's not like we dealt them IMMEDIATELY either, Curry had 4 years on the Bulls, and Chandler had 5. They were given numerous chances to put it all together for us, and they just didn't. I don't think they would have been as successful as they were this year had they still been on the Bulls. Besides the chemistry issues with the coach, both have also been playing pissed off of late, which I doubt would have happened with us. Both were often in Skiles' doghouse, and with their contracts I just think their departure was probably inevitable.

I don't really miss Tyson, we've replaced him pretty well with Wallace, Tyrus, and Noah. Curry is another story. If we knew he'd be healthy and that Skiles wouldn't drive him off the team, he'd be a damn good fit. Neither was the case though...

+Quote Post
Chicago Bulls Fr...
post Jul 2 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #13

Superstar

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2 2007, 08:40 PM) *
Um, I think you're revising history a bit. Eddy was averaging 16 a game, but missed 19 regular season games and the playoffs, as well as giving you only 5.3 rebounds and lackluster defense, and Chandler was coming off a year where he averaged 5.3 points and 9.1 rebounds while fouling at a high rate. It sure didn't look like they were both worth $10 mil a year at that point. Hell, Tyson was a downright liability most of the time, and Curry was often MIA in the 4th because Skiles was afraid of his D in close games. Heck, even LAST year on the Knicks Curry wasn't worth it. I can't really fault the logic at all, except that I'd have liked to see us get more for Chandler.

It's not like we dealt them IMMEDIATELY either, Curry had 4 years on the Bulls, and Chandler had 5. They were given numerous chances to put it all together for us, and they just didn't. I don't think they would have been as successful as they were this year had they still been on the Bulls. Besides the chemistry issues with the coach, both have also been playing pissed off of late, which I doubt would have happened with us. Both were often in Skiles' doghouse, and with their contracts I just think their departure was probably inevitable.

I don't really miss Tyson, we've replaced him pretty well with Wallace, Tyrus, and Noah. Curry is another story. If we knew he'd be healthy and that Skiles wouldn't drive him off the team, he'd be a damn good fit. Neither was the case though...

Ya I know but they both came right out of highschool, what are they now like 24-25 years old? Curry and Chandler worked well together because Tyson didn't need to focus on his offense because Curry handled the down low scoring, Tyson handled the defense pretty well that last year they were together I think he almost averaged 10 rebounds a game. They were best friends together I just wished they could have stayed together longer and kept the chemistry going.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Jul 2 2007, 08:19 PM
Post #14

All-Star

QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 2 2007, 08:02 PM) *
Ya I know but they both came right out of highschool, what are they now like 24-25 years old? Curry and Chandler worked well together because Tyson didn't need to focus on his offense because Curry handled the down low scoring, Tyson handled the defense pretty well that last year they were together I think he almost averaged 10 rebounds a game. They were best friends together I just wished they could have stayed together longer and kept the chemistry going.

They're both around that age. Basically every high schooler but O'Neal (didn't really get a shot in Portland) established their career arc by then though. That's the way the contracts work out, they got you for 4 years before they have to decide whether to pay you the big money or not.

Chandler averaged 8 points and 9.7 boards the last year with Curry. That was part of the problem, he actually regressed a bit the next year, probably expediated his departure a bit. Would things have been different if Curry had stayed? Maybe, it's always a bit easier when there's another big guy there to take up space. He looked totally lost a lot of the time the next year though, having Curry there wouldn't have stopped him from making stupid fouls...

I think a big factor in things could have been the result of the Wizards series that year. If Curry and Deng had been healthy there's a good chance we knock off Washington that series, which probably makes it more likely that we would have kept Curry and Chandler. That didn't happen though, and that combined with the whole DNA test/contract scenario with Curry put things over the top.

+Quote Post
Serbbojo
post Jul 2 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #15

12th Man

Member No.: 124

we got more than just Noah and Thomas from that deal. We got a load of cap space, some second rounders, Ben Wallace signing would never have happened if the Curry deal didnt occur. We would prolly be unable to sign Gordon, Deng, nocioni, and Hinrich if the Curry deal didnt happen. If Curry stayed we wouldve had to pay both Curry and Chandler big deals along with Hinrich and the rest of em. Either way someone had to leave.

Its not like it matters, it would be one thing if we trade Curry and then sucked for the next 4 years, but we got better even with him gone, so i dont really mind the trade. I like the way our team is heading.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:09 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home