Group: Members
Member No.: 392

here are some tidbits from today's chicago tribune:

Gordon wants a low-post scorer
He says offense puts too much of a load on guards

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

February 19, 2007, 10:44 PM CST

Ben Gordon's answer wasn't exactly a plea to management, especially because it came in response to a question as part of his required duty to speak to reporters.

And, well, because the Bulls getting what he wants might mean he goes.

But Gordon's answer when asked if adding a low-post scorer before Thursday's trade deadline would help was telling as the Bulls prepare to make their stretch run.

"Just the way this team is set up, the load is on the guards," Gordon said. "We rely so much on our draw-and-kick game. It's tough sometimes when we can't go down [to the post] consistently. We have guys who can score, who can pick-and-pop. But we don't have anybody who can go down there five, six times in a row and get something.

"Adding a low-post scorer makes us that much better. It makes the game easier for our perimeter guys and for Ben Wallace to get on the boards. It would do nothing but help us."

Little has changed since media night in October, when general manager John Paxson openly acknowledged the team lacked size and interior scoring.

It's why Paxson continues to work the phones in case Memphis doesn't drastically lower its price for Pau Gasol by Thursday. With expiring contracts and draft picks, Paxson has the resources to make a deal for a second-tier big man. The question, of course, is whether it's the right deal.

Barring a dramatic change, Gordon appears safe.

"I always just try to focus on the game even more when I hear [rumors]," Gordon said. "I try to prove my worth on the court. That's all you can do as a player."

Walking wounded

Fresh off a fishing trip near his agent's house in Little Rock, Ark., Andres Nocioni took shots and rode a stationary bicycle but didn't practice Monday. Coach Scott Skiles called him "doubtful" for Tuesday's game.

But Nocioni, battling plantar fasciitis in his right foot, sounded more optimistic.

"I feel much better," he said. "I feel my leg is rested. My foot is much better. The problem is it's a little tight. But the doctor said if it's tight with no pain, that's fine.

"If it's the same as [Monday], I think I can play. I don't know if I can play at a high level, maybe 10-15 minutes to help the team."

The Bulls are 1-5 since Nocioni went down. The forward is trying for the glass-half-full approach.

"Maybe this is better for my body because I was playing with the [Argentine] national team all summer," he said.

Layups

The Bulls still own draft rights to Mario Austin, a second-round pick in 2003. Austin is averaging 17.9 points and 6.8 rebounds in 27.9 minutes for Hapoel Jerusalem in the Israeli Premier League but has yet to play an NBA game. … Gordon on Scottie Pippen's desire to return to the NBA: "It's interesting. I don't know how his body would hold up, though. He's been off so long. He's probably just been playing golf."

kcjohnson@tribune.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Serbbojo
post Feb 20 2007, 11:15 AM
Post #2

12th Man

Member No.: 124

i never understood why the Bulls never brought in Mario Austin, he always played good for us in the summer league, and hes been doing good in all the leagues hes been in outside the US

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post Feb 20 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #3

6th Man

Member No.: 214

Gordons comments about the need for a big man are obvious...

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Feb 20 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #4

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

The only problem is that getting that big man might cost us all our guards

+Quote Post
DrunkBomber
post Feb 20 2007, 02:13 PM
Post #5

6th Man

Member No.: 214

Well our core is considered to be 2 guards and 2 forwards. If you were gonna give up 2 it would have to be one of each. I think thats too much though.

+Quote Post
GreatScott82
post Feb 20 2007, 02:17 PM
Post #6

Bench

Member No.: 163

That is the only reason why this team is 29-25 and not 35-19. If we have that low post presence like they had w/ Curry in the 2004-2005 season when they strung together like 12 consecutive victories and won the 4th seed in the East. Its a shame that Curry had that heart issue because the team they had that year if kept together with Chandler, Curry, Gordon, Deng, and Hinrich good have been very good.
But I regress, we have Ben Wallace who replaces Chandler and then some but still have nobody who replaces Curry.
As more and more time goes by, it appears as if a Gasol trade will not happen. And I hate to say this but this team as assembled probably won't get passed the 1st round AGAIN! We need that low post to beat the best teams in the league.

+Quote Post
The Dude Abides
post Feb 20 2007, 05:21 PM
Post #7

6th Man

Member No.: 65

If we can add Gasol or a 2nd tier big man, Gordon will ascend to a true all star level. His open looks will increase dramatically. Imagine the kick outs to BG7, pick and rolls, double teams, etc. I would like Gasol, but dont want to give up the farm to get him...adding a 2nd tier big man would improve Gordon's game, as well as Wallace's.

+Quote Post
MB33
post Feb 20 2007, 07:14 PM
Post #8

6th Man

Member No.: 477

keep the core and lets get a decent post player!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 03:19 PM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home