> Gasol on the block
Balta1701-B
post Feb 4 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #91

Superstar

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 23

From the LA Times
Insiders say Memphis keeps dropping its asking price for Pau Gasol, suggesting owner Michael Heisley has told Jerry West to forget fair value and slash the payroll.

The Grizzlies reportedly asked Chicago for Ben Gordon, Luol Deng and the Knicks' No. 1 pick, which the Bulls own. Now Memphis is down to Deng or Gordon plus another young player such as Thabo Sefolosha, P.J. Brown's expiring contract and a 2009 first-rounder.

Insiders say a few losses may bring the Bulls around. They just eked out a win in Seattle to go 1-1 on this seven-game West Coast trip, so stay tuned.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MB33
post Feb 4 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #92

6th Man

Group: Members
Member No.: 477

They are asking too much for him i wouldnt give up deng or gordon whatsoever!Keep the core!

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Feb 4 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #93

6th Man

Member No.: 10

Yes agreed MB33, id give up one of our young rookies, any picks they want (as long as its reasonable), and pj brown. I would NOT break up the core

+Quote Post
72-10
post Feb 4 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #94

Rookie

Member No.: 160

His market value will continue to drop and others wont be too hot for him, i dont believe. I think if we hold out a bit more we wont have to give up any young core players and we can get him. I also wanted to say a while ago that I do not think his addition would have a very big effect unless we keep an outside threat like Gordon to add/ take the pressure off Pau's off nights.

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Feb 4 2007, 09:36 PM
Post #95

6th Man

I also wanted to say a while ago that I do not think his addition would have a very big effect unless we keep an outside threat like Gordon to add/ take the pressure off Pau's off nights.

Yup, Agreed

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Feb 4 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #96

All-Star

Member No.: 43

QUOTE (72-10 @ Feb 4 2007, 07:16 PM) *
His market value will continue to drop and others wont be too hot for him, i dont believe. I think if we hold out a bit more we wont have to give up any young core players and we can get him. I also wanted to say a while ago that I do not think his addition would have a very big effect unless we keep an outside threat like Gordon to add/ take the pressure off Pau's off nights.

There is absolutely no way that deal would work for a player of Gasol's caliber. Teams don't just give away All-star caliber players that are only 26, especially big men. At a bare minimum it would be Noc, Tyrus/Thabo, Brown, and at least one pick, and that still might not work. It's kind of moot to discuss possibilities that don't involve on of our key 4 guys, that deal simply won't happen.

Gasol is a very good player that would add an entirely new dimension to this team that would greatly improve their balance. Plus they'd still have at least two strong perimeter threats left.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Feb 5 2007, 09:19 AM
Post #97

I'm fresh.

Member No.: 131

People say "let his value continue to drop." At some point, we're going to miss out on Gasol because another smart team that wants a primed, 26 year old PF with All-Star potential will pay the price.

At this point, you deal Gordon, Thabo, PJ, and the first (to get Gasol plus Atkins), and thank Christ you were given such a long time to get it done. With Captain Kirk and Duhon remembering how to play of late, I believe Gordon and Thabo are highly expendable considering what we'd get back.

This would make us instant favorites in the East, imo.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Feb 5 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #98

All-Star

Member No.: 21

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 4 2007, 04:14 PM) *
From the LA Times

Now we are in the range where we can talk...

+Quote Post
CryptViLL
post Feb 5 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #99

6th Man

hm, getting interesting, i really wouldnt wanna deal gordon... or deng... but getting gasol would deffinitly make us instant favorites

+Quote Post
soxfan3530
post Feb 5 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #100

Bench

Member No.: 392

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Feb 4 2007, 10:35 PM) *
There is absolutely no way that deal would work for a player of Gasol's caliber. Teams don't just give away All-star caliber players that are only 26, especially big men. At a bare minimum it would be Noc, Tyrus/Thabo, Brown, and at least one pick, and that still might not work. It's kind of moot to discuss possibilities that don't involve on of our key 4 guys, that deal simply won't happen.

Gasol is a very good player that would add an entirely new dimension to this team that would greatly improve their balance. Plus they'd still have at least two strong perimeter threats left.

absoluetly correct. there is no way they are trading gasol withot getting one of the four core guys. However, if it does go down and can see them trading for deng or gordon, Brown and the pick without having to give up Thabo or Tyrus. I would opt to trade Deng. I love Deng as much as the next guy but we have Noc and Tyrus waiting in the wings plus as a previous poster said, we need gordon to spread the court out and prevent teams from doubling down on gasol. If we could pull that deal off, we would be a force to reckon with.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Feb 5 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #101

I'm fresh.

You just have to make a deal for Gasol. This team is obviously not as good as everyone thought going into the season, we're stuck in mediocrity struggling against the Supersonics and Blazers to get wins.

Gasol would open up the offense so much, bc teams would actually have to play defense down low. Right now, we're struggling to get open shots because of the perimeter passing and chucking.

Gotta do it!

+Quote Post
Balta1701-B
post Feb 5 2007, 11:58 AM
Post #102

Superstar

Member No.: 23

QUOTE (steve9347 @ Feb 5 2007, 07:12 AM) *
People say "let his value continue to drop." At some point, we're going to miss out on Gasol because another smart team that wants a primed, 26 year old PF with All-Star potential will pay the price.

At this point, you deal Gordon, Thabo, PJ, and the first (to get Gasol plus Atkins), and thank Christ you were given such a long time to get it done. With Captain Kirk and Duhon remembering how to play of late, I believe Gordon and Thabo are highly expendable considering what we'd get back.

This would make us instant favorites in the East, imo.

You say that at some point, we're going to miss out on Gasol because another team will pay the price...2 points in reply;

1. Given what the Bulls have to offer without breaking up the core of this team, if another team beats what the Bulls can offer, then let the other team be that stupid. We don't have to sacrifice the next 5 years to make a run this year.

2. I for one can't see any sane team that could or would be smart to offer anything of greater value than the Knicks pick, PJ Brown, Noc, and maybe someone else thrown in. As far as I can tell, no other team has anywhere near the combination of a large expiring contract, cap room, a top 10 draft pick this year, and a couple of young players. If someone else beats that deal, then well, they're absolutely insane for givign up that much.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Feb 5 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #103

All-Star

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 5 2007, 11:51 AM) *
You say that at some point, we're going to miss out on Gasol because another team will pay the price...2 points in reply;

1. Given what the Bulls have to offer without breaking up the core of this team, if another team beats what the Bulls can offer, then let the other team be that stupid. We don't have to sacrifice the next 5 years to make a run this year.

2. I for one can't see any sane team that could or would be smart to offer anything of greater value than the Knicks pick, PJ Brown, Noc, and maybe someone else thrown in. As far as I can tell, no other team has anywhere near the combination of a large expiring contract, cap room, a top 10 draft pick this year, and a couple of young players. If someone else beats that deal, then well, they're absolutely insane for givign up that much.

1) How are you sacrificing the next 5 years for this year? Gasol is only 26, he's still got plenty of tread left on the tire. He's only about 6 months older than Hinrich and is about 8 months younger than Nocioni. It's not like he's some aging veteran that is on his last legs.

2) Yes, for a 26 year old All-star caliber post player teams will give up at least comparable value. Off the top of my head Boston could very easily give Gerald Green or Al Jefferson (maybe even both if they go a little nuts) and their pick along with Theo Ratliff's contract, in fact that deal has been mentioned. If they give up Jefferson that's probably even a better package, since they'd be getting a solid young post player and a higher pick to go along with the cap relief. Atlanta could also probably come up with a good deal. They have a lot of solid youngsters and a high pick, though the contract can be an issue. I'm sure there are other teams that I am missing that could also come up with decent packages. You're assuming that all the GM's out there are sane, that clearly isn't the case.

The Bulls have the best potential package, but if they're going to be stead-fast in not including Deng or Gordon, other teams will come into the conversation.

+Quote Post
Steve9347
post Feb 5 2007, 12:52 PM
Post #104

I'm fresh.

QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Feb 5 2007, 11:51 AM) *

1. Bro... Gasol is 26. This kid is going to be a premiere player in this league soon, if he's not already. He's averaging 20.8 ppg and 8.3 rpg, and 2.9 apg (numbers that should rise given a team that could help him.) Gasol is currently not even playing at the level we all know he can, and will be a star in this league for another 6 years. You're not throwing away the future by getting one of the best young big men in the game.

2. I've heard Al Jefferson talk, and this kid is a monster... a great young player. I think that would interest the Grizz. I just don't think there's any need to sleep on this. If you can deal Noc, awesome, but if they demand Deng or Gordon, that's not too high a price to pay for Gasol imo.

+Quote Post
ZoomSlowik
post Feb 5 2007, 12:56 PM
Post #105

All-Star

Good to see I've mastered the Jedi-mind trick. Thanks Steve. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 01:25 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home