> Suntimes:Bulls after Wilcox???
JOHN
post Jul 7 2006, 05:43 AM
Post #1

NBDL

Group: Members
Member No.: 172

http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bull07.html

Bulls operations chief John Paxson met the media Thursday for the first since landing free agent Ben Wallace and trading Tyson Chandler, but he still isn't allowed to talk about either move.

Even though the NBA's free-agent period began July 1, league rules stipulate that contracts can't be signed and other moves can't become official until the salary-cap figure is firmly established next Wednesday. Until then, Paxson must remain mum on his two coups.

Paxson, though, is allowed to talk about his future plans and confirmed that he might not be finished dealing.

''Be patient, but I think down the road maybe we'll be able to make another move that helps us out even more,'' Paxson said following the team's first summer-league practice at the Berto Center. ''There are some things that we can do, and I'm not opposed to doing something else.

''At this time, we're going to get through the events of the 12th. But I'm not in any hurry.''

With Wallace and 6-11 P.J. Brown (who will come over from the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets in the Chandler trade), the Bulls are better in the front-court but still could use another big body.
According to team sources, the next name on Paxson's wish list is restricted free agent Chris Wilcox, a 6-10 power forward.
With Wallace and 6-11 P.J. Brown (who will come over from the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets in the Chandler trade), the Bulls are better in the front-court but still could use another big body. According to team sources, the next name on Paxson's wish list is restricted free agent Chris Wilcox, a 6-10 power forward.

Since the Wallace signing will eat up most of the Bulls' $16 million of cap space, their best chance of landing Wilcox will be through a sign-and-trade deal with his current team, the Seattle SuperSonics. That's always a tricky situation when the current team wants to retain the player, but the Bulls could benefit from the Sonics' shaky financial outlook.

Wilcox, who will turn 24 in September, is looking for a multiyear deal at roughly $10 million a year. Although the Sonics were delighted with his play after he was acquired in February from the Los Angeles Clippers -- he averaged 14.1 points and 8.2 rebounds in 29 games with Seattle -- they don't want to commit that kind of money to an essentially unproven player.

It's doubtful the Bulls would be willing to pay that kind of money as well, but they are in a better position to meet Wilcox's salary demands. The Bulls also have the kind of young talent to entice Seattle into making a deal.

J.R. Smith, a 6-6 guard who is also part of the Chandler deal, is very attractive because of his youth (he turns 21 in September), and Malik Allen and Viktor Khryapa are other players who could be included in a trade.

Even if they don't acquire Wilcox, a trade seems likely because the Bulls have too many players worthy of playing time.

Wilcox is still unproven but fits the Paxson/Skiles criteria by 3/4. (Young,Athletic,Lengthy/Young,Athletic,Lengthy,Motivated)

Surely Paxson won't pay him 10 million but if he is willing to get 48 million for 6 years I'm not against it.

It will make us even more athletic on the frontcourt and give us that big man that can play in the post.

Out of all the three newspapers only the Suntimes knew first that Paxson was going for Ben Wallace. McGraw and Marlen Garcia were saying "Przybilla and that's all".

According to the Suntimes, Wallace was plan A.If that failed we would've targeted Al Harrington and Chris Wilcox.

There certainly seems to be interest from the Bulls part on Wilcox.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JOHN
post Jul 7 2006, 05:50 AM
Post #2

NBDL

Of course we will have to get into talks with the Sonics also because only by a sign&trade we will be able to acquire him.

On the other hand, you should certainly expect another deal by Paxson...not necessarily for KG,.This team is stacked and many useful palyers will be playing limited minutes.

Othella Harrington's contract is guaranteed until July 15 with the Bulls having the option to cut it off their books. This contract can seem useful for a team looking to cut costs.

Malik Allen,Viktor Kyryhapa, Mike Sweetney are all on one year deals. JR Smith should be a valuable commodity.

Yes a trade will happen. Paxson brought in Sefolosha and I really don't know where JR will find /get minutes with Duhon also here.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 7 2006, 06:45 AM
Post #3

Leading Scorer

Member No.: 193

QUOTE (JOHN @ Jul 7 2006, 05:43 AM)
Of course we will have to get into talks with the Sonics also because only by a sign&trade we will be able to acquire him.

On the other hand, you should certainly expect another deal by Paxson...not necessarily for KG,.This team is stacked and many useful palyers will be playing limited minutes.

Othella Harrington's contract is guaranteed until July 15 with the Bulls having the option to cut it off their books. This contract can seem useful for a team looking to cut costs.

Malik Allen,Viktor Kyryhapa, Mike Sweetney are all on one year deals. JR Smith should be a valuable commodity.

Yes a trade will happen. Paxson brought in Sefolosha and I really don't know where JR will find /get minutes with Duhon also here.

Man. You said it almost like I have been saying it all along. The whole JR thing has thrown me off though. Do the Bulls keep him if he has his mind right. The guy is better and bigger then any of their shooting guards (except Gordon) and you could put him in a big backcourt with Sefolosha off the bench because I hear Sefolosha is an excellent ball handler.

Maybe Duhon is the odd man out here. He is make slightly more than $3 million I believe and that is almost $2 million more than J.R. (which the site below says he makes $1,067,400, with an option the following year for $1,641,661).

Either way I don't think Othella returns at roughly $3.8 million. Maybe throw him in with Duhon, and Khyrapa ($1,172,000) and the Bulls can get the deal done.

(that is Duhon and Khyrapa two good reserves for one player who is good but hasn't proved he is worth $8 million+ a year to Seattle.)

Or you throw someone else in there and get Luke Ridnour too (I like that kid but doubt Seattle would trade him)

The salary cap in 2004-2005 was $46 and was $49.5 million last year. If it goes up by the same amount it will be $53 million next year.

The Bulls have to get rid of Khyrapa unless he can play multiple positions because Deng and Nocioni need to play lots of minutes.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_orleans.htm
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/chicago.htm
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries.htm

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 7 2006, 07:11 AM
Post #4

Leading Scorer

It just hit me. Maybe the Bulls trade Ben Gordon, Khryapa, Sweetney, Harrington and Chris Duhon (3.8, 3, 2.7, and 3.8 = $13.3 million) for Wilcox, Luke Ridnour, and Collison (Wilcox $8 million sign and trade + $2.45 million, $2.5 = 12.90 million) and maybe a late first or second round pick.

I think all their off-season moves have been leaning toward getting bigger at the shooting guard position.

Think about it (I love Gordon but does this make you a better team?)

C- Wallace/Wilcox/Allen/Brown/Collison/Schenscher
F- Wilcox/P.J. Brown/Collison/Thomas/Allen
SF- Nocioni/Deng/Thomas
SG Sefolosha/J.R. Smith/Deng/Hinrich
G Hinrich/Ridnour/Sefolosha

under this scenario you bring Thomas along slowly. You could even run Ridnour and Hinrich in the same backcourt (a weaker version of stockton, hornicek). Collison and P.J. Brown will also become valuable trading pieces around the trading deadline just in case the Bulls have an injury and they need to pick up some pieces for their Championship run.

You are still deep at both PF and SF and you get deeper at Center because Wilcox can play center and Collison can go against the smaller centers in the league. You sign Wilcox for six years and you avoid having to give Ben Gordon a big contract in the future because he will be demanding one. I believe he was always planned as the odd man out.

I wonder who is the other odd man out or can they manage to keep all three(Hinrich, Deng, or Nocioni). I don't think it is Hinrich so it has to be either Deng or Nocioni.

I personally complained in the past with all the "white guys" but these are quality white guys that can play. (other then Schensher. But he is tall an may get better) (I don't mean that to sound racist because I am not but the truth is there are no larry birds anymore if you know what I mean.)

+Quote Post
JOHN
post Jul 7 2006, 07:14 AM
Post #5

NBDL

Of course,just like in all S&T deals, all depends on where Wilcox wants to go.

The Bulls will probably have 3.5 million left to spend. Combine that with Othella's salary and perhaps Sweetney and Allen and plus a future first round pick(2008) and maybe Seattle gets a deal.

Of course the Sonics could hold out for someone like Luol Deng and then there might be some trouble.

The interesting part is that Wilcox did not like the 6 year 42 million offer by the Sonics which IMO is a very generous offer. I beleive Paxson will not go above
48 milliion.

+Quote Post
JOHN
post Jul 7 2006, 07:17 AM
Post #6

NBDL

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 7 2006, 07:04 AM)
It just hit me. Maybe the Bulls trade Ben Gordon, Khryapa, Sweetney, Harrington and Chris Duhon (3.8, 3, 2.7, and 3.8 = $13.3 million) for Wilcox, Luke Ridnour, and Collison (Wilcox $8 million sign and trade + $2.45 million, $2.5 = 12.90 million) and maybe a late first or second round pick.

I think all their off-season moves have been leaning toward getting bigger at the shooting guard position.

Think about it (I love Gordon but does this make you a better team?)

C- Wallace/Wilcox/Allen/Brown/Collison/Schenscher
F- Wilcox/P.J. Brown/Collison/Thomas/Allen
SF- Nocioni/Deng/Thomas
SG Sefolosha/J.R. Smith/Deng/Hinrich
G Hinrich/Ridnour/Sefolosha

under this scenario you bring Thomas along slowly. You could even run Ridnour and Hinrich in the same backcourt (a weaker version of stockton, hornicek). Collison and P.J. Brown will also become valuable trading pieces around the trading deadline just in case the Bulls have an injury and they need to pick up some pieces for their Championship run.

You are still deep at both PF and SF and you get deeper at Center because Wilcox can play center and Collison can go against the smaller centers in the league. You sign Wilcox for six years and you avoid having to give Ben Gordon a big contract in the future because he will be demanding one. I believe he was always planned as the odd man out.

I wonder who is the other odd man out or can they manage to keep all three(Hinrich, Deng, or Nocioni). I don't think it is Hinrich so it has to be either Deng or Nocioni.

I personally complained in the past with all the "white guys" but these are quality white guys that can play. (other then Schensher. But he is tall an may get better) (I don't mean that to sound racist because I am not but the truth is there are no larry birds anymore if you know what I mean.)

Kirk,Ben,Luol and Nocioni according to Paxson are off limits. (unless a KG trade happens) biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 7 2006, 07:41 AM
Post #7

All-Star

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 21

It would be nice if the Bulls and Sonics could match up on something that didn't really affect the Bulls core too much. If we could find a way to deal from the SFs/SGs it would be great.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 7 2006, 07:51 AM
Post #8

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (JOHN @ Jul 7 2006, 07:10 AM)
Kirk,Ben,Luol and Nocioni according to Paxson are off limits. (unless a KG trade happens)  biggrin.gif

Paxon also said that he would do whatever he could to make the team better.

Maybe it won't be Gordon in the deal but come on that guy is the odd man out just like Jamal Crawford was a few years ago.

The Bulls won't offer him the big contract when it comes time and Skiles would really rather he not be in the starting lineup. But who knows. I just think that if this Wilcox deal goes down it will be for multiple players. And I don't think Deng, Hinrich, or Nocioni will be one of them.

I think Gordon and Khryapa will be involved as well as at least one of their forwards.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 7 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #9

Leading Scorer

Chris Wilcox was not happy with the Sonics' initial offer to him and the team is reportedly trying to work out a sign-and-trade deal for the power forward.
"The longer it drags on, we will come to the point of no return where Chris will not look back and will no longer want to be in Seattle," said his agent Jeff Fried. "Since it appears that the Sonics are unwilling to give Chris his fair-market value, we're looking at other options." According to one NBA source, as many as nine teams have contacted the Sonics about Wilcox. He was hoping for an offer of six years and $42 million from Seattle, but they came in under that figure.

(this came off the other Wilcox post)

If the 6 year $42 million is really what he wanted Paxson will have no problem giving it to him. I think Paxson goes up to 6 years $48 but he would prefer to stay around $45.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 7 2006, 08:03 AM
Post #10

All-Star

According to one NBA source, as many as nine teams have contacted the Sonics about Wilcox.

That's the part that makes me doubt this will get done. I am going to bet there are teams that are a much better fit for what Seattle is looking to do.

+Quote Post
JOHN
post Jul 7 2006, 08:06 AM
Post #11

NBDL

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7 2006, 07:56 AM)
That's the part that makes me doubt this will get done. I am going to bet there are teams that are a much better fit for what Seattle is looking to do.

Don't worry.That is just "agent talk"

When Crawford hit free agency hia agent said there were 10 teams interested in Crawford.

In reality there were only two. The Timberwolves were offering Wally Szcerbiak but Paxson didn't want his contract.

Instead he offered Jamal a 36 million 5 year deal and waited for Isaiah to bite.

We all know what happened afterwards smile.gif

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 7 2006, 08:12 AM
Post #12

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7 2006, 07:56 AM)

Who is better suited then the Bulls. Who has younger talent as well as expiring contracts? Don't forget that Wilcox will have say in this as well. Why wouldn't he want to come and be the post presence for the Bulls alongside Ben Wallace.

You are always going to get as many 9 teams interested anytime there is a 24 year old player of Wilcox's potential. Of those 9 maybe only 3 are really serious. Of those 3 at least one is a horrible situation for Wilcox and the other is not as good as the Bulls or doesn't have the talent to offer like the Bulls do. If Paxson wants him he will be wearing a Bulls uniform next year.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 7 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #13

Leading Scorer

I told my friend that maybe they traded Chandler for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith as part of another deal. I doubted that Seattle wanted Chandler. The could have easily have paid Wilcox that much money and kept their own guy.

I think the Bulls pulled that trade off to lead to this trade. Paxson is the smartest GM ever.

+Quote Post
madisonsmadhouse
post Jul 7 2006, 08:17 AM
Post #14

All-Star

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 7 2006, 08:05 AM)
Who is better suited then the Bulls. Who has younger talent as well as expiring contracts? Don't forget that Wilcox will have say in this as well. Why wouldn't he want to come and be the post presence for the Bulls alongside Ben Wallace.

You are always going to get as many 9 teams interested anytime there is a 24 year old player of Wilcox's potential. Of those 9 maybe only 3 are really serious. Of those 3 at least one is a horrible situation for Wilcox and the other is not as good as the Bulls or doesn't have the talent to offer like the Bulls do. If Paxson wants him he will be wearing a Bulls uniform next year.

The Bulls only have one desirable expiring contract and that is PJ Brown. I think they want to keep that for their own purposes, plus they need another big man, and trading Brown still leaves them a big body short on the front line. Other than that we have a bunch of smaller contracts, but not very good players, and nothing that a Seattle will be interested in for an up and coming star.

+Quote Post
eddog2
post Jul 7 2006, 08:24 AM
Post #15

Leading Scorer

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 7 2006, 08:10 AM)
The Bulls only have one desirable expiring contract and that is PJ Brown. I think they want to keep that for their own purposes, plus they need another big man, and trading Brown still leaves them a big body short on the front line. Other than that we have a bunch of smaller contracts, but not very good players, and nothing that a Seattle will be interested in for an up and coming star.

Am I missing something. Is Wilcox 6-2? How many big guys do you need? Wallace and Wilcox is something to the effect of Shaq and Haslem except that Wilcox will be better than Haslem.

You pull this trade off you have your starting power forward for the next 6 years. I think he is about as good as Horace Grant and could develop to be better. It give Tyrus a few years to mature and then you can play Wilcox at center and Tyrus at PF after Shaq retires.

If the trade goes through like I think it will you also get someone like Collison and Ridnour and you ship out Gordon. So you then have Collison, Wallace, Wilcox, Thomas and don't forget Nocioni can play the PF spot as well. You technically could use Wallace, Wilcox at center anytime you play Shaq as well as throw Malik Allen in there to use his 6 fouls (if he is not traded).

You don't need more bigs then that.

Wallace/Wilcox reminds me of Wallace/Wallace except that Wilcox may never be that good. But you never know!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:22 AM
Home | Home | Home | Home | Home