Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NFL owners elect Goodell as new commissioner
TalkBulls Forums > Special Interests > Shoot The Bull
greasywheels121
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2543783

NFL owners elect Goodell as new commissioner
ESPN.com news services

NORTHBROOK, Ill. -- Roger Goodell was chosen as the NFL's next commissioner Tuesday, succeeding the man who groomed him for the job, Paul Tagliabue.

The 47-year-old Goodell worked his way from a public relations intern to perhaps the most powerful job in sports. He was elected on the fifth ballot among the league's 32 owners.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli reports he was voted in unanimously on the fifth ballot. At that point, the last remaining contender was Gregg Levy, who serves as the league's outside counsel.

The son of former U.S. Sen. Charles Goodell of New York, he has been Tagliabue's top assistant, particularly on expansion and stadium construction. In 2001, he became the NFL's chief operating officer.

Goodell becomes the league's fourth commissioner since 1946.

"We've had the two greatest sports commissioners in the history of professional sports, Paul Tagliabue and Pete Rozelle, and I was fortunate to work for both of them," Goodell said. "I look forward to the challenge and thank them again for their confidence."

Tagliabue served 17 years, and during that time the league's revenues have skyrocketed. The NFL will collect about $10 billion in TV rights fees during the next six years, and enjoys labor peace with the players' association.

"Replacing Paul was not easy, and I think we've done a great job in selecting Roger," said Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder. "The NFL is a complex business. Finding the right person to keep it on course was critical, and we did it."

Goodell beat four other finalists: Levy; lawyer Frederick Nance; Fidelity Investments vice chairman Robert Reynolds; and Constellation Energy chairman Mayo Shattuck III.

Goodell wasn't certain when he will assume office, although Tagliabue planned to leave the job this month.

"I believe in continuity," said Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay. "It's a lot like with head coaches, and that's what Roger brings us."
Chisoxfn
Did anyone see Bryant Gumbel ripping to shreds the NFL Players Association guru. He really had some classless comments on his show on HBO and it appears that the NFL and Goodell are going to sit down and talk to Gumbel about it.

My guess is that he just cost himself a job as one of the members of the NFL Network broadcasting crew (he was going to be a part of the crew for 8 of the NFL Networks late season games).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.