Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are we still undersized?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Serbbojo
yea we added Ben Wallace but if you think about its hes only 6-9. the only real size upgrade we got was with thabo. Tyrus is still small and needs to add muscle, and we lost chandler in order to get pj brown so we didnt really get any bigger

do you still think we will have problems next season becuz of our size?
Balta1701-B
The one thing we don't really have right now is an obvious inside scoring threat. We don't have a guy who we can feed the ball who will get 15-20 points every game in the lane. That is a potential weakness. Why? Because a guy like that creates matchup problems...you have to double team him sometimes, he creates open shots for your guys outside, and so on.

But, there are reasons for hope. First and foremost, Ben Wallace has never really been an offensive option. He wanted to do more in Detroit with the offense than he had the opportunity to do. Here, he will have more of that option. If he can play a little more on the offense, and score some points in the post, that will lessen that weakness.

Secondly, we still don't know exactly what TT can give us. If he can come off the bench and provide some low-post scoring power, that gives us a real advantage, especially if we can team it with BWall. It doesn't matter if you're short 2 inches if you have real talent.

Third, we do have PJ Brown, who can at least play off of Bwall. That gives us more than we had last year, where we had Chandler and nothing, and still made the playoffs. Last year, we had Tyson Chandler, who sucks at offense, as our big low-post offensive threat. BWall is better defensively than Chandler already, and may be able to be better offensively than him, but the combination of TT and PJ are going to be better than anything we had last year at Power Forward, especially playing off of BWall.

The ideal situation would be for us to have another big scoring man to play alongside BWall. Right now, we don't. But we have 2 possibles. Tyrus Thomas could develop into the strong low-post scorer we need within a year or two. Or, we have that sweet draft pick in 07. Both of those could fill that need if they come out right.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
ya
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Sep 4 2006, 02:53 AM) *
But, there are reasons for hope. First and foremost, Ben Wallace has never really been an offensive option. He wanted to do more in Detroit with the offense than he had the opportunity to do. Here, he will have more of that option. If he can play a little more on the offense, and score some points in the post, that will lessen that weakness.

Secondly, we still don't know exactly what TT can give us. If he can come off the bench and provide some low-post scoring power, that gives us a real advantage, especially if we can team it with BWall. It doesn't matter if you're short 2 inches if you have real talent.

I wouldn't count on either of those happening this year. Wallace is basically Tyson Chandler offensively, only he can catch. Thomas is simply not a post player, and he's not going to be able to shove your average PF around. He needs a lot of work, and he thinks he's a SF. Those guys will score if they get wide open dunks, but they'll rarely create their own shots.

I think we are still a little undersized, but the lack of post scoring is a bigger issue. Wallace really plays bigger than he is. However, the lack of post scoring will keep us from getting farther than the conference semi-finals IMO, unless of course we get a nice draw in the 2nd round.
Chisoxfn
We are definately still a very undersized team down in the low block. In fact we may have actually gotten smaller, especially since we lost Chandler's height and while he wasn't big muscle wise, he was one of the few legit guys we had that actually had some height.

That said Wallace has proven that his lack of size has no effect on his ability to defend bigs (even the tallest of them). However we still lack big time in the low post area and I'm sure we'll see a good chunk of Noc at the 4 which is a sign of our lack of size (not that I don't like Noc at the 4, but I think we all know he's undersized for that position).

However, I think we added size on the permiter and we've obviously became a more athletic team as well.
Bullseye
yes.
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 4 2006, 01:31 PM) *
We are definately still a very undersized team down in the low block. In fact we may have actually gotten smaller, especially since we lost Chandler's height and while he wasn't big muscle wise, he was one of the few legit guys we had that actually had some height.

Strong big man >>>>>> tall big man

But yeah, we lack offensive post presence. It'll be interesting to see what P.J. Brown has left.
Bullies4Life
On paper yes, but size doesnt matter in some cases. Its all about getting the job, and we all know that Ben Wallace can get the job done.

I still think the Bulls could use some size... You can never go wrong w/ size. Thats why i kinda wanted Aldrige over Thomas. But o well, I dont think the Bulls need to relly on size againsts any team in the NBA, except maybe Miami for right now.

As far as the future goes, the Bulls will need some size to go up against some towers they have in Orlando... Dwight, and Darko. Hopefully we will adress our size issue in this coming up draft. And oh yeah, our biggest concern right now is getting a guy that can consistently score in the paint for the Bulls.
Wanne
Don't the Bulls still hold the rights to Mario Austin?....and if so...are they inviting him to camp?
BuLLzDoMaIn
No we arent that under sized.. Just cause we dont have a 7 footer who can take over....

WAllace,Sweetney,PJ,Deng"deng has some size" allen and im sure theres about 2 other big guys we have....
madisonsmadhouse
We are definately still smallish on the frontline. I think the Bulls are looking more towards next year and the trade markets in that respect. Plus we know we still have the Knicks 07 pick in our backpockets unless something crazy happens.
hammerhead johnson
Ben Wallace is the strongest man in the NBA, hands down. He is also one of the top five help defenders in the history of the game. I think we're good to go. biggrin.gif
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 7 2006, 08:35 AM) *
Ben Wallace is the strongest man in the NBA, hands down. He is also one of the top five help defenders in the history of the game. I think we're good to go. biggrin.gif

Well, the question about size right now to my eyes isn't a defensive question as much, because BWall can clog up a lane and everyone knows it. Anyone you put in alongside BWall is going to look good. PJ Brown, Tyrus Thomas, Deng/Noc, that guy we got from Cleveland, etc. The question is whether we need more size so that teams can't just focus on shutting down our offense on the perimeter. We have a ton of outside scoring strength...but we don't have a guy like a DWade who can penetrate, draw double teams, and create shots for other people. Unless Hinrich or Gordon learn to be that guy this year.

So what we would be left with is trying to play the inside/outside game...feed the ball down low, and then up high, and in the process of moving try to generate open shots. We may need a little more size on offense down low for that to work. But that's why I brought up earlier the fact that BWall hasn't really had the chance to be an offensive focal point, so right now it's unknown whether he can bring anything more to us than he brought to Detroit on that end.
punkalexa
Yeah we may have Ben Wallace, but aside from him? Sometimes we get those tall guys but aren't that mascular! dry.gif Ben Wallace is a definitive plus!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.