Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kirk's Pay Day...
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
hinrich fan
October 31st will be here before you know it. The Bulls will waste no time showing the league their for real when the take on the Champion Heat. However, it's worth noting Kirk Hinrich still has no contract extension...we all know Pax is going to give him one...thus the question...anybody care to shout out how much $$$ over how many years K-Rich gets???

http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_18652.shtml
Bullies4Life
i think Kirk will be getting around 6 years, around 50 Mil... maybe a little bit higher than that...
bulls91
i think that he will not ask for that much money he wants a good team and that is the olny way to keep that team together so i think that he will ask for about 5-7 mil not eight.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Sep 18 2006, 11:02 PM) *
i think that he will not ask for that much money he wants a good team and that is the olny way to keep that team together so i think that he will ask for about 5-7 mil not eight.

Don't kid yourself. The guy will be looking for his payday. To be honest if Kirk asks for anything less than $10 million a year for at least 5 years, he is an idiot.
Steve9347
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Sep 18 2006, 11:02 PM) *

yeah. i know that's what I'd do
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 19 2006, 06:47 AM) *
Don't kid yourself. The guy will be looking for his payday. To be honest if Kirk asks for anything less than $10 million a year for at least 5 years, he is an idiot.

I think that's what he'll probably ask for...it's what he should ask for...and it's what the Bulls should be open to paying...but the Bulls shouldn't necessarily pay it.

What the Bulls should do is exactly what they did with Chandler. If Hinrich won't re-up at something that saves the team a little, say 5 years and $8 mil a year...let him hit the market, make it abundantly clear that they're going to match any offer Hinrich receives, and then try to iron out something that makes both sides happy. Even if he's given a max contract offer by someone, we can still match it.
eddog2
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Sep 19 2006, 02:55 PM) *
I think that's what he'll probably ask for...it's what he should ask for...and it's what the Bulls should be open to paying...but the Bulls shouldn't necessarily pay it.

What the Bulls should do is exactly what they did with Chandler. If Hinrich won't re-up at something that saves the team a little, say 5 years and $8 mil a year...let him hit the market, make it abundantly clear that they're going to match any offer Hinrich receives, and then try to iron out something that makes both sides happy. Even if he's given a max contract offer by someone, we can still match it.

Not sure if I agree with your idea. I think that the Bulls would be smart to try and give him the 5 year $40 million dollar contract before he even has a chance to hit free agency. Maybe with a nice chunk as a signing bonus. I think if you let him hit free agency, there will be some team out there like Toronto, Minnesota or some other team that want/needs a good point guard that would be willing to pay him the big money. (maybe even L.A.). I don't think that is a good route because it could cause the Bulls to significantly overpay.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 22 2006, 10:39 AM) *
Not sure if I agree with your idea. I think that the Bulls would be smart to try and give him the 5 year $40 million dollar contract before he even has a chance to hit free agency. Maybe with a nice chunk as a signing bonus. I think if you let him hit free agency, there will be some team out there like Toronto, Minnesota or some other team that want/needs a good point guard that would be willing to pay him the big money. (maybe even L.A.). I don't think that is a good route because it could cause the Bulls to significantly overpay.

And I have no doubt that they will try to give him a deal like that, but he would be a fool to sign the contract. This is most likely going to be the biggest contract that Kirk has a chance to get, and to settle for $8 million a year is not a smart move on his part. All you have to do look at this list of 2005-6 salaries and tell me what Kirk should be looking for. IMO $10 million is a solid offer, and a good number for Kirk, if he is going to give the Bulls a hometown discount. With the defense that the guy plays, and the leadership he brings, the fact he plays every game...someone will throw a bunch of money at the kid.

Players earning $7 million or more
1. Shaquille O'Neal (Mia) ....... $20,000,000
2. Allan Houston (NY) ........... $19,125,000 [retired 10/17]
2. Chris Webber (Phi) ........... $19,125,000
4. Kevin Garnett (Min) .......... $18,000,000
5. Allen Iverson (Phi) .......... $16,453,125
5. Stephon Marbury (NY) ......... $16,453,125
7. Jason Kidd (NJ) .............. $16,440,000
7. Jermaine O'Neal (Ind) ........ $16,440,000
9. Kobe Bryant (LAL) ............ $15,946,875
10. Michael Finley (Dal) ......... $15,937,500 [released 8/15]
11. Tim Duncan (SA) .............. $15,845,156
12. Anfernee Hardaway (NY) ....... $15,750,000
13. Grant Hill (Orl) ............. $15,694,250
13. Tracy McGrady (Hou) .......... $15,694,250
13. Jalen Rose (Tor) ............. $15,694,250
13. Keith Van Horn (Dal) ......... $15,694,250
17. Eddie Jones (Mem) ............ $14,576,250
18. Brian Grant (LAL) ............ $14,336,220 [released 8/10]
19. Tim Thomas (Chi) ............. $13,975,000
20. Antonio Davis (NY) ........... $13,925,000
21. Vince Carter (NJ) ............ $13,843,156
21. Antawn Jamison (Was) ......... $13,843,156
21. Dirk Nowitzki (Dal) .......... $13,843,156
21. Paul Pierce (Bos) ............ $13,843,156
25. Baron Davis (GS) ............. $13,700,000
25. Steve Francis (Orl) .......... $13,700,000
25. Shawn Marion (Pho) ........... $13,700,000
28. Ray Allen (Sea) .............. $13,223,140
29. Elton Brand (LAC) ............ $13,152,000
30. Joe Johnson (Atl) ............ $12,000,000
30. Michael Redd (Mil) ........... $12,000,000
32. Theo Ratliff (Por) ........... $11,666,666
33. Carlos Boozer (Uta) .......... $11,593,816
34. Mike Bibby (Sac) ............. $11,500,000
35. Lamar Odom (LAL) ............. $11,465,333
36. Pau Gasol (Mem) .............. $10,993,000
37. Andrei Kirilenko (Uta) ....... $10,983,000
38. Rasheed Wallace (Det) ........ $10,860,000
39. Zach Randolph (Por) .......... $10,666,667
40. Kenyon Martin (Den) .......... $10,636,364
41. Raef LaFrentz (Bos) .......... $10,623,288
42. Larry Hughes (Cle) ........... $10,344,900
43. Gilbert Arenas (Was) ......... $10,243,200
44. Richard Jefferson (NJ) ....... $10,200,000
45. Jamal Mashburn (Phi) ......... $10,075,000
46. Wally Szczerbiak (Min) ....... $10,000,000
47. Steve Nash (Pho) ............. $9,625,000
48. Marcus Camby (Den) ........... $9,150,000
49. Maurice Taylor (NY) .......... $9,100,000
50. Derek Anderson (Por) ......... $9,093,000 [released 8/3]
51. Tyson Chandler (Chi) ......... $9,000,000
52. Jason Richardson (GS) ........ $8,888,888
53. Brad Miller (Sac) ............ $8,750,000
54. Zydrunas Ilgauskas (Cle) ..... $8,740,000
55. Erick Dampier (Dal) .......... $8,662,500
56. Kelvin Cato (Orl) ............ $8,640,000
57. Richard Hamilton (Det) ....... $8,625,000
58. Rashard Lewis (Sea) .......... $8,571,429
59. Jamaal Magloire (Mil) ........ $8,533,333
60. Samuel Dalembert (Phi) ....... $8,470,000
61. Tony Parker (SA) ............. $8,400,000
62. Jerry Stackhouse (Dal) ....... $8,367,187
63. Mehmet Okur (Uta) ............ $8,250,000
64. Doug Christie (Orl) .......... $8,200,000 [released 8/11]
65. Andre Miller (Den) ........... $8,100,000
66. P.J. Brown (NO) .............. $8,000,000
66. Bobby Simmons (Mil) .......... $8,000,000
66. Bonzi Wells (Sac) ............ $8,000,000
69. Shandon Anderson (NY) ........ $7,900,000 [released 11/10/04]
69. Austin Croshere (Ind) ........ $7,900,000
71. Lorenzen Wright (Mem) ........ $7,700,000
72. Jason Williams (Mia) ......... $7,562,500
73. Kwame Brown (LAL) ............ $7,500,000
73. Peja Stojakovic (Sac) ........ $7,500,000
73. Ben Wallace (Det) ............ $7,500,000
76. Manu Ginobili (SA) ........... $7,428,937
77. Eddy Curry (NY) .............. $7,390,000
78. Troy Murphy (GS) ............. $7,365,079
79. Desmond Mason (NO) ........... $7,333,333
80. Adonal Foyle (GS) ............ $7,312,500
81. Darius Miles (Por) ........... $7,250,000
82. Cuttino Mobley (LAC) ......... $7,200,000
83. Jonathan Bender (Ind) ........ $7,175,000
84. Corey Maggette (LAC) ......... $7,000,000
eddog2
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 22 2006, 12:02 PM) *
And I have no doubt that they will try to give him a deal like that, but he would be a fool to sign the contract. This is most likely going to be the biggest contract that Kirk has a chance to get, and to settle for $8 million a year is not a smart move on his part. All you have to do look at this list of 2005-6 salaries and tell me what Kirk should be looking for. IMO $10 million is a solid offer, and a good number for Kirk, if he is going to give the Bulls a hometown discount. With the defense that the guy plays, and the leadership he brings, the fact he plays every game...someone will throw a bunch of money at the kid.

I see one point guard on that list that didn't even get $10 million per year. Steve Nash. Is Hinrich better than Nash? NO!! Maybe he will be but he isn't. To give him $10+ million will significantly jeopardize are chances of retaining all of our core pieces in the future (especially since we overpaid for Wallace).

If Kirk doesn't what to sign for 5 years he can do what Lebron did and sign a 3 year deal and then hit the market in his prime. Probably after he has made the all-star team. That is when he would have the biggest contract of his life. 3 years $24 million is a good contract and I think he would be stupid not to take it. Then he could hit free agency in three years and sign the "huge" contract you think he deserves.

Anyway, there are a lot of players (several all-stars) that have less than $10 million contracts. Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Andre Miller. These are all quality PG's. The Bulls need to make Hinrich a reasonable offer, and let him know that they want him to stay a Bull for his career. But they should also sell it from the standpoint that they want to win championships and that they want him to be their leader. I think he already knows that is the case and I hope that he buys into the team concept. I think Nocioni and Gordon will buy into it and accept around $7-8 million so I think Hinrich should too.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 22 2006, 03:49 PM) *
I see one point guard on that list that didn't even get $10 million per year. Steve Nash. Is Hinrich better than Nash? NO!! Maybe he will be but he isn't. To give him $10+ million will significantly jeopardize are chances of retaining all of our core pieces in the future (especially since we overpaid for Wallace).

If Kirk doesn't what to sign for 5 years he can do what Lebron did and sign a 3 year deal and then hit the market in his prime. Probably after he has made the all-star team. That is when he would have the biggest contract of his life. 3 years $24 million is a good contract and I think he would be stupid not to take it. Then he could hit free agency in three years and sign the "huge" contract you think he deserves.

Anyway, there are a lot of players (several all-stars) that have less than $10 million contracts. Steve Nash, Tony Parker, Andre Miller. These are all quality PG's. The Bulls need to make Hinrich a reasonable offer, and let him know that they want him to stay a Bull for his career. But they should also sell it from the standpoint that they want to win championships and that they want him to be their leader. I think he already knows that is the case and I hope that he buys into the team concept. I think Nocioni and Gordon will buy into it and accept around $7-8 million so I think Hinrich should too.

That's not a very good line of argument. Just because someone better is making less or someone worse is making more doesn't really mean anything. Timing has a lot to do with how much these guys are making. Most of the monster deals are from before the collective bargaining argeement, which means there was no limit on contracts. Also, your performance when your contract is up is a major factor. Nash was a good point guard when he got that deal, but he didn't get to be this good until after he signed it. The same can be said about Parker, and Miller wasn't playing very well when he got his. The point is that Hinrich would be likely to get that much if he hit the free agent market right now, which is really all that matters. Unless they take major steps forward, none of our other guys are in line to make anywhere near that much money.

QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 22 2006, 10:39 AM) *

You're not really risking all that much because the Bulls can offer more money than any of those teams under the collective bargaining agreement. Hinrich is a key player, so they're highly likely to match whatever anyone else is going to offer. Unless he gets $12 mil or more (which is unlikely), that's not too insane.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 22 2006, 03:49 PM) *

An agent doesn't go into negotiations and site who didn't get the big bucks, they come in with a list of comperable or worse guys who got a ton of money, and use that as their basis for their salary demands. Sure the Bulls can counter with the guys who make less, but believe me the particular situations of why a deal got signed will be brought up. The Bulls know Kirk is a cornerstone of what they are trying to do, as does the rest of the NBA. Kirk is going to get his payday. Trust me on that one.
eddog2
He probably will get his money but I don't think he should get more than $10 million. At what point does Paxson have to cut the line and think about the future of the Bulls. Will it be worth it to pay Hinrich $12 million and jeopardize not being able to keep Nocioni, Gordon, Deng down the road. Unless Paxson plans on trading one of those three down the road, he really is going to have to get everyone to accept less then what the market is willing to pay. That is why he needs to sign them to new deals before they even hit free agency and some team like the Knicks offers them big time money.

I'll be the first to say that I want them to keep all 4 of their core players. But at what price does any one of the 4 simply put Paxson in a position that he doesn't want to be in or won't accept being in?
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 25 2006, 09:49 AM) *
He probably will get his money but I don't think he should get more than $10 million. At what point does Paxson have to cut the line and think about the future of the Bulls. Will it be worth it to pay Hinrich $12 million and jeopardize not being able to keep Nocioni, Gordon, Deng down the road. Unless Paxson plans on trading one of those three down the road, he really is going to have to get everyone to accept less then what the market is willing to pay. That is why he needs to sign them to new deals before they even hit free agency and some team like the Knicks offers them big time money.

I'll be the first to say that I want them to keep all 4 of their core players. But at what price does any one of the 4 simply put Paxson in a position that he doesn't want to be in or won't accept being in?

Of the Core players, right now Kirk is probably the least replacable, unless Deng really blows up this year. Luol without a doubt has the highest ceiling IMO, and really the big thing for him is his outside game. If he gets a steady jumper from 20-25 feet, he will be a 20 PPG guy. Gordon to me is the most replacable as he is only a scorer, and isn't much on the defensive end, on top of being undersized.
eddog2

This article suggests that Hinrich based on production deserves about $6.5 million but that based on market value he likely will command something like 5 years $55 million. The article says that Paxson likely want to sign Hinrich for something in the $8-9 million range and that is what has kept Hinrich from being signed thus far. The article compares Hinrich to Tony Parker and Joe Johnson. I can see the Parker comparison (although Hinrich is not as quick as Parker) but I don't see how he compares to Joe Johnson. Johnson is definately a better player. (no insult to Hinrich)

Anyway, I hope that Hinrich does end up signing something in the $8-9 area. You also have to remember that he plays in Chicago and that he can make substantially more advertising in Chicago then more then half of the basketball markets. If he becomes an all-star, he will be able to add several million dollars to his value.
madisonsmadhouse
5 years 50-55 million sounds like the value he could get through the open market.
Balta1701-B
Linkity.

Choosing security over stubbornness, Kirk Hinrich has accepted the Bulls' final offer on a long-term contract extension, according to league sources.

With the deadline for the negotiating window expiring at 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, Hinrich decided to sign the five-year deal rather than become a restricted free agent next off-season.

League sources said the deal is worth $47.5 million and starts in the 2007-08 season at roughly $7.8 million. The deal will pay Hinrich approximately $11.42 million during its final season in 2011-2012.

The final numbers fall far short of Hinrich's initial goal of seeking to be compensated like Tony Parker, who averages more than $11 million per season in his five-year deal with San Antonio.

But in a recent interview, Hinrich perhaps tipped his hand that he'd eventually take what he described in another more casual conversation as "more money than I'll ever need in my lifetime."

"I'm comfortable financially right now," he said. "I don't spend a lot. ... And when you're talking numbers like we're talking, it's almost surreal."

The Bulls are believed to have raised their final offer from a starting point of $43 million.
madisonsmadhouse
The Bulls got off cheap. Glad to see Kirk really was serious about sticking around.
madisonsmadhouse
Bump. Looks like 5 years $50 million was a good meeting point afterall... (settling at 5 years $47 mil) now the interesting thing is does this take away from anyone elses extensions?
ZoomSlowik
That was a pretty fair price, nothing too ridiculous there. As of right now I don't think it really hurts us down the road, thus far Deng, Nocioni, and Gordon haven't done anything close to warranting a massive deal. That could change though, you never know. One plus is that unless I missed something, Noc's contract should be up after this season, which helps us out timing-wise. It would be difficult to justify him getting a ton unless he breaks out this year.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Reinsdorf has gone well over the cap in the past to keep Michael and Scottie together, I don't see this being much different.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (hinrich fan @ Sep 10 2006, 04:25 PM) *
October 31st will be here before you know it. The Bulls will waste no time showing the league their for real when the take on the Champion Heat. However, it's worth noting Kirk Hinrich still has no contract extension...we all know Pax is going to give him one...thus the question...anybody care to shout out how much $$$ over how many years K-Rich gets???

The beauty is the man has now signed a very affordable deal that as he says gives him more money than he'll ever need and one that may allow the Bulls to keep the entire core together for a long long time.

God I'm excited one of my very favorite players in the NBA inked a deal that will keep him in Chicago for a lot lot longer.
sport1016
thank god!!!!!!

next season milwaukee or someone would have gone nuts and offered him 10+ and we'd have been in serious trouble

the money we save now goes a long way toward resigning our other guys in the future

also, it helps set a benchmark to maybe have them all take slightly less then they could get in the open market to keep it together and give the team the flexibility to be able to make a significant addition down the road if need be
Chisoxfn
Absolutely beautiful. One of the top young point guards in the league will be a Bull for a lot longer. Better yet the price of the deal (which was very very fair) may allow the Bulls to keep the entire core together.
AbeFroman
good news indeed...

The timing was obviously intentional. Right before a season we are all hyped for anyway.
Steve9347
very very good to see
Pippen Aint Easy
HINRICH EXTENSION

WAY TO GO, KIRK! Thanks for not being greedy!!!
SoxFan1
Fantastic news. I'm glad Captain Kirk will be back and the deal doesn't necessarily rip up the payroll.
CryptViLL
so that commericial of him saying he wanted to play for the bulls when he was in skool is true!
hinrich fan
Was there ever a doubt??? Kirk is here to stay...I'm gonna look for that Maserti in Deerfield buddy!
hinrich fan
Kirk will be 31 when the deal is maxed out...wonder if Pax or Skiles will groom him for their jobs??? Pops is a coach Kirk...and you know all 'bout running the floor.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Good job Bulls!
hinrich fan
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Oct 31 2006, 11:14 AM) *
The beauty is the man has now signed a very affordable deal that as he says gives him more money than he'll ever need and one that may allow the Bulls to keep the entire core together for a long long time.

God I'm excited one of my very favorite players in the NBA inked a deal that will keep him in Chicago for a lot lot longer.

Me too Chisoxfn...easier for me to come watch him play in Chi-town...I can see it now #12 is gonna be hanging from the raftors in the UC someday!
spencer958
Plus as I said in another post I'm tired of buying Bulls jerseys and having the player traded.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (hinrich fan @ Oct 31 2006, 03:48 PM) *
Me too Chisoxfn...easier for me to come watch him play in Chi-town...I can see it now #12 is gonna be hanging from the raftors in the UC someday!

I sure hope so. Sometime in the next season I may buy my 2nd Bulls jersey (the other being a Black Jordan jersey).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.