Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Deng's Mega-Contract?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Pippen Aint Easy
http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/loca...f_41million.php

This article came out today. Found it on BenMaller.com

Is this correct?
SoxFan1
Still nothing on the official site or on any other reliable sites.
DrunkBomber
Wow, that seems a little extreme
WHarris1
Impossible. Can't be extended until next summer.
madisonsmadhouse
I searched on Google news and the only stories about this are all British. Not one American news source has picked up this story

http://news.google.com/news?tab=wn&ie=...ct&filter=0
eddog2
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26 2006, 08:56 AM) *
I searched on Google news and the only stories about this are all British. Not one American news source has picked up this story

http://news.google.com/news?tab=wn&ie=...ct&filter=0

It is probably not accurate but it looks like a fair contract doesn't it? Hopefully the Bulls lock him up next summer and he stays a Bull for life.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 26 2006, 09:17 AM) *
It is probably not accurate but it looks like a fair contract doesn't it? Hopefully the Bulls lock him up next summer and he stays a Bull for life.

Guys don't forget that the article is quoting salaries in British Pounds, with the conversion rate, that contract is for just under 80 million dollars for 5 years or $16 million A YEAR.
eddog2
Like I said. Pretty fair right?
Kalapse
Six-feet nine-inches tall Luol, who grew up in Stanger Road, is already a massive star in the US but is less well known here.

Yeah, that sounds about right. So when exactly did Deng reach Lebron/Wade status?
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 26 2006, 09:58 AM) *
Like I said. Pretty fair right?

He has got to be putting up 20-8 or 20-6-6 before I could justify that kind of money for Lu. Heck I don't think he would even get anywhere close to that on the open market yet.
ZoomSlowik
That can't be right, at his current performance level he'd be getting overpaid at like $9 mil much less $16 mil. No way a guy that averaged about 13 points and 6 rebounds gets that.
eddog2
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 26 2006, 10:30 AM) *
He has got to be putting up 20-8 or 20-6-6 before I could justify that kind of money for Lu. Heck I don't think he would even get anywhere close to that on the open market yet.

I was joking. Anyway, for him to get that kind of money he would have to join the likes of Lebron and Wade. It won't happen by the time he gets an extension (if ever). Although he is pretty good for a 21 year old. (Melo's 22, Wade's 24 going on 25, Lebron's turning 22 in December)

I think Deng has tons of potential. He's younger then all three players mentioned above but they all were significantly better then Deng when they came out of high school/college. I think Deng could end up putting up Joe Johnson type numbers this season (or even better) but I don't think he is going to get a Joe Johnson like contract. (but then again, Johnson did sign the huge contract at about the same age as Deng and with less production then what Deng has showed)

For some reason, I really don't think the Bulls utilize all of Deng's strengths. Not only do they not play him enough (b/c they have Nocioni) but they don't give him enough credit either. I hope Skiles draws up a few more plays for Deng this year. Deng is out SF of the future (not Nocioni) and they need to start treating him like it.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 26 2006, 11:01 AM) *
That can't be right, at his current performance level he'd be getting overpaid at like $9 mil much less $16 mil. No way a guy that averaged about 13 points and 6 rebounds gets that.

He definately isn't going to get that much (but do you remember a guy named Joe Johnson). I believe he was 5 years $70 million. ($14 million) At the time he was averaging 17 points and 5.1 rebounds. By the time Deng hits free agency he will be averaging more than that.

Anyway, I remember Johnson being drafted by the Celtics and how the Celtics had high hopes for him. Then in a very stupid move, they traded him to Pheonix for Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers. I bet they wish they would have kept him. Johnson and Paul Pierce would make a good combination.
ChitownMan
Considering the source is from England, I would imagine that this is a tabloid rag that just put things out there without verifing sources and checking the accuracy. Until things are completed by the Bulls and are officially stated by Paxson, there is no way to prove any extensions to contracts.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 26 2006, 11:35 AM) *
Anyway, I remember Johnson being drafted by the Celtics and how the Celtics had high hopes for him. Then in a very stupid move, they traded him to Pheonix for Tony Delk and Rodney Rogers. I bet they wish they would have kept him. Johnson and Paul Pierce would make a good combination.

The guy's work ethic was nonexistant, and he was one of the most immature players in the league. That's why they tossed him aside as if he were trash.

He came to play in his contract year, though. That should tell you where his head is at, although he is not quite stupid enough to crack my Top 20 of bad seeds. biggrin.gif

He'll be surrounded by an actual NBA cast this year though, so we'll see what he's all about. The Big Ben signing reigns supreme, but people better not sleep on the Speedy Claxton signing. That will enable Johnson to step in at SG on a full-time basis, and the Hawks will finally have a real point guard. When is the last time that happened? I can't remember.

And Deng? He gone.
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Sep 30 2006, 08:40 AM) *
The guy's work ethic was nonexistant, and he was one of the most immature players in the league. That's why they tossed him aside as if he were trash.

He came to play in his contract year, though. That should tell you where his head is at, although he is not quite stupid enough to crack my Top 20 of bad seeds. biggrin.gif

He'll be surrounded by an actual NBA cast this year though, so we'll see what he's all about. The Big Ben signing reigns supreme, but people better not sleep on the Speedy Claxton signing. That will enable Johnson to step in at SG on a full-time basis, and the Hawks will finally have a real point guard. When is the last time that happened? I can't remember.

And Deng? He gone.

Hopefully the broken foot doesn't affect claxton during the season.

And joe johnson is good.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 1 2006, 01:30 AM) *
Hopefully the broken foot doesn't affect claxton during the season.

And joe johnson is good.

Yeah, Johnson's actual physical ability was never in question. I just don't know if he's all there, mentally.
eddog2
I don't agree w/ the Deng "he gone" comment. The Bulls would be very stupid to let Deng go unless it is part of a trade that brings the Bulls a legit superstar. Deng is very young as is far from hitting his ceiling as a basketball player.

He may not be as athletic as Johnson but I think he is close. He also has a good work ethic and good attitude toward the game which is something an NBA player needs. Deng will continue to get better b/c he wants to be a better player and is willing to work at it.

I don't think the Bulls should overpay Deng like Johnson was but they definately should make every effort to keep him.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Oct 2 2006, 09:32 AM) *
I don't agree w/ the Deng "he gone" comment. The Bulls would be very stupid to let Deng go unless it is part of a trade that brings the Bulls a legit superstar. Deng is very young as is far from hitting his ceiling as a basketball player.

I hear you, but if he is intent on getting 10+ million per year, then forget about it. Thank God that we have Tyrus Thomas in the fold.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Oct 2 2006, 09:32 AM) *

He may not be as athletic as Johnson but I think he is close. He also has a good work ethic and good attitude toward the game which is something an NBA player needs. Deng will continue to get better b/c he wants to be a better player and is willing to work at it.

I don't think the Bulls should overpay Deng like Johnson was but they definately should make every effort to keep him.

Sometimes it isn't as simple as that. Sometimes your choice is to either overpay, or let someone walk away for less than you really wanted. Sure Deng is great, but he sure as hell isn't $16 million/year great, at least not yet. If the kid works hard on his outside shot, and adds that to his game, then maybe we can talk.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.