Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hakeem Olajuwon vs Tim Duncan
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
eddog2
Why nobody ever talks about Hakeem, I have no clue. People fail to list him when listing the best players of all-time yet alone the best centers of all time. Is it b/c his english wasn't that great?

Anyway, I have seen a lot of basketball and there is no center since I have been alive that is or was a better all around center then the Dream.

They call Tim Duncan the big fundamental but nobody had the smoothness of Hakeem.

Hakeem holds career (yes career) averages of

21.8 points, 11.1 reb, 2.5 asts, 3.09 blks, 1.75 stls while shooting 51.2% fg, and 71.2% from the line.

He is the best shot blocker in the history of the game. 1.75 steals as a center is also damn good.

And those career numbers include 5 years that Hakeem played on the decline (w/ knee problems). He had a stretch of 12 straight seasons where he averaged at least 20.6 points and 10.8 rebounds.

Probably his best season was 1989-90 when he averaged 24.3 points, 14 boards, and 4.59 blocks (yes. 4.59 blocks)(Tim Duncan has never even scratched 3 per game and he has never averaged more then 12.9 boards). Hakeem also averaged 27+ points for two seasons and almost 3 straight seasons during his prime (26.9 the third). It already appears that Duncan is starting to decline so I doubt we will ever see him even average 25 points.

When you take a look at overall numbers, David Robinson is a closer comparison. Both were the 1st overall pick of their respective drafts (Robinson 1987 and Hakeem 1984. Yes before Michael). However, Robinson only played 14 seasons compared to Hakeem's 18 (thus distorting some of the numbers). In terms of blocking shots and defense, Robinson was better than Duncan, but not as good as Hakeem. Robinson suffered an injury in 96-97 and never really returned to his pre-injury form. Had he not been injured he might have gone down as the best center ever. (or one of the top 3)

Hakeem won 2 titles the years that Michael left. He never really had much help until Clyde came along or else he might have won a few more titles.

The only center that has been more dominant then Hakeem on the offensive end is Shaq and we all know why Shaq is more dominant.

Even Shaq at the end of this clip says Hakeem is a great player and that he is not sure if anyone could stick him one on one. He made Shaq look silly in the finals. He wasn't afraid of Shaq and he even blocked a few of Shaq's shots (albiet not Ben Wallace style). I don't think we will ever see a center with the kind of grace and footwork that Hakeem had. He was a more fearless version of Kevin Garnett.

For all of you who are too young to remember I suggest you look at as many of Hakeem's highlights as you can. Then tell me he isn't the greatest ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmLR_VgbqAA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1sS_wiIfL4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakeem_Olajuwon

This article goes through the career of Hakeem. If you read the section titled the Championship years it does a good job of describing the man that was Hakeem. (Below is a sample)

Olajuwon was at the pinnacle of his career. In that year, he became the only player in NBA history to win MVP, Finals MVP and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season. Olajuwon's fame was well-deserved, as the Rockets team was probably one of the most lightly-loaded championship teams of all time. Neither the other starters (Robert Horry, Otis Thorpe, Vernon Maxwell and Kenny Smith) nor sixth man Sam Cassell were considered stars at the time, documented by the fact that Hakeem was the only Rockets All-Star player that year

The Rockets repeated as champions in 1995, led again by the stellar play of Olajuwon who averaged 27.8 ppg, 10.8 rpg, and 3.4 bpg in the regular season. Olajuwon displayed perhaps the most impressive moments of his career when the Rockets faced the San Antonio Spurs in the Conference Finals. Recently crowned league MVP Robinson was outplayed by Olajuwon, 35-24 PPG. Even his teammate Dennis Rodman a former defensive player of the year award winner could not help the Spurs stop Olajuwon. Robinson told LIFE magazine: "Hakeem? You don't solve Hakeem." [4]. The Rockets won every road game that series. In the NBA Finals, the Rockets swept the Orlando Magic, who were led by a young Shaquille O'Neal. The whole basketball world had waited for the matchup of the two great centers, and it was Olajuwon who outscored O'Neal 33-28 PPG. Hakeem scored 30+ points in every game, raising his own regular-season PPG rate by a full 5 points whereas O'Neal's production dropped by one [5] as Olajuwon was again named Finals MVP. As a side note, Hakeem was again the only All-Star Rockets player.[6]

Over the course of two seasons Olajuwon had cemented his place in history by outplaying and leading his team to victory in playoff series against three centers who are members of the 50 Greatest Players in NBA History team. This is made even more impressive by the fact that none of these players was considered on the downside of their playing careers during this period. In addition Olajuwon did not have an all-star teammate to aide him during this period.

Olajuwon was still recognized as one of the league's elite centers despite his strict observance (e.g., fasting during daylight hours) of Ramadan, which occurred during the NBA season during virtually all of his career and is usually a handicap for Muslim athletes. While he had an excuse accepted by the Koran for being able to replenish fluids during pre-sunset games, he still refrained from drinking water during games before sundown.

Olajuwon is also in the top ten in blocks, scoring, rebounding, and steals. He is the only player in NBA history placed in the top ten for all four categories.

Olajuwon ranks all-time 7th in steals and is by far the highest ranked center.

All-time leader in blocked shots, well past second-placed Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Only player in NBA history to have won MVP, Finals MVP and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season
HAKEEM was simply the greatest center to ever play the game
ZoomSlowik
Hakeem was great, and certainly belongs in the dicussion. However, I'd put at least Kareem and Wilt ahead of him, and possibly Bill Russell as well. The first two were much more dominant offensive players than Hakeem, and Russell was arguably the best defensive post player of all time. Career stats for those first three (outside of rebounds Russell's numbers don't offer much of an argument. Blocks and steals were not kept, and on the teams he played for he didn't need to score that much):

Chamberlain: 30.1 points, 22.9 rebounds, 4.4 assists, .54 FG%, .511 FT% (steals and blocks were not kept in his playing days).

Plus his scoring average would have been a lot higher if he could actually shoot FT's, and he didn't shoot anywhere near as often in LA when he teamed with West.

Abdul-Jabbar: 24.6 points, 11.2 rebounds, 3.6 assists, .559 FG, .721 FT%, .94 SPG, .257 BPG (note: steals and blocks were not kept during his first 4 seasons).

Those totals also include 3 years on the end after where he probably should have retired, maybe more. Early in his career (as in his first 7 years) he was good for about 28-30 points, 15-16 rebounds, 3-4 blocks, and 4-5 assists. Even for another 5 years after that he put up about 25 points, 10-12 rebounds depending on the year, 3 blocks, and 4 assists. His numbers didn't really start sliding until after that stretch, when Magic and Worthy joined the team. Even then, he still averaged over 20 points, 7-8 rebounds, and 2 blocks for a while.

Olajuwon: 21.8 points, 11.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists, .512 FG%, .712 FT%, 1.75 steals, 3.09 blocks

Another thing to consider: Jabbar has 6 MVP's, Russell 5, and Chamberlain 4, compared to Hakeem's one. Before you say Michael robbed him of a few, Russell and Chamberlain had to go head-to-head most years, and Kareem played largely in the same era as Magic and Bird.

Hakeem was very good, but I can't put him at #1. His scoring average is actually fairly low, especially considering he was always the undisputed top option on his team for virtually his entire career. I will agree that he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. He was a fabulous defender, a solid scorer, and was clutch in the playoffs.
Chi-town23-33
Hakeem is definately one of the greatest centers ever, and he is on my top-10 all-time list as well. However, I would have to put Jabbar, Russell, and Chamberlain ahead of him.

My Top-5 Centers

1) Wilt Chamberlain (the most dominate player in history)
2) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (longevity, MVPs, chapionships)
3) Bill Russell (greatest winner ever, dominant defender)
4) Hakeem Olajuwon (offense defense, less success than others, but playing against tough competition)
5) Shaquille O'Neal (Probably the second most-dominant center)

And its no question: Hakeem > Duncan
eddog2
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 26 2006, 02:48 PM) *
Hakeem was great, and certainly belongs in the dicussion. However, I'd put at least Kareem and Wilt ahead of him, and possibly Bill Russell as well. The first two were much more dominant offensive players than Hakeem, and Russell was arguably the best defensive post player of all time. Career stats for those first three (outside of rebounds Russell's numbers don't offer much of an argument. Blocks and steals were not kept, and on the teams he played for he didn't need to score that much):

Chamberlain: 30.1 points, 22.9 rebounds, 4.4 assists, .54 FG%, .511 FT% (steals and blocks were not kept in his playing days).

Plus his scoring average would have been a lot higher if he could actually shoot FT's, and he didn't shoot anywhere near as often in LA when he teamed with West.

Abdul-Jabbar: 24.6 points, 11.2 rebounds, 3.6 assists, .559 FG, .721 FT%, .94 SPG, .257 BPG (note: steals and blocks were not kept during his first 4 seasons).

Those totals also include 3 years on the end after where he probably should have retired, maybe more. Early in his career (as in his first 7 years) he was good for about 28-30 points, 15-16 rebounds, 3-4 blocks, and 4-5 assists. Even for another 5 years after that he put up about 25 points, 10-12 rebounds depending on the year, 3 blocks, and 4 assists. His numbers didn't really start sliding until after that stretch, when Magic and Worthy joined the team. Even then, he still averaged over 20 points, 7-8 rebounds, and 2 blocks for a while.

Olajuwon: 21.8 points, 11.1 rebounds, 2.5 assists, .512 FG%, .712 FT%, 1.75 steals, 3.09 blocks
Another thing to consider: Jabbar has 6 MVP's, Russell 5, and Chamberlain 4, compared to Hakeem's one. Before you say Michael robbed him of a few, Russell and Chamberlain had to go head-to-head most years, and Kareem played largely in the same era as Magic and Bird.
Hakeem was very good, but I can't put him at #1. His scoring average is actually fairly low, especially considering he was always the undisputed top option on his team for virtually his entire career. I will agree that he doesn't get as much credit as he deserves. He was a fabulous defender, a solid scorer, and was clutch in the playoffs.

I just want to start off by saying that an argument could be made for the guys you mentioned. However, playing in the 50's, 60's and 70's just can't be compared to today. Kareem by virtue of playing into the 80's is probably the most comparable. But if you look at how Hakeem played (with very little supporting cast) you can see how dominate he was. He dominated all the great centers of his era (Robinson, Ewing, O'neal, & also Karl Malone). In head to head matchups in the playoffs he almost always posted better numbers then they did. He had the quickness of a wing player and the body of a center. He simply dominated on both ends of the floor and it wasn't b/c he was the biggest player out there. Kareem had his sky hook (probably one of the best shots in history) but Hakeem had the entire package. The hook, the 20 ft jumper, the dream fade, the inside game. Hakeem was a beast and he could have scored more if he wanted but he was a team player.

Wilt, Bill, and Kareem played at a time where the game was still developing and where there weren't many strong big men. Hakeem played against some of the strongest and toughest big's in the history of the game.

He also fasted during much of the season so to be as effective as he was was a miracle.

And MVP's don't mean everything. Hakeem probably never would have won an MVP if Michael didn't retire. But he should have one 2. The year that Robinson won the MVP it should have gone to Hakeem. Anyway, people usually win MVP's b/c they are on a top seeded playoff team. Unfortunately, Hakeem didn't always have the supporting cast to win the MVP. However, he was the first to be an MVP, Finals MVP, and Defensive Player of the Year in the same season.

Hakeem was also better defensively. With that cat like quickness and leaping ability he often blocked shots that no other center could (like the time he block Ewings fade away)(he also blocked Shaq's shot several times). Nobody could guard Hakeem. Not Ewing, not Shaq, not Robinson. And Robinson was probably the most mobile of all the centers in the league at the time. If matched against Kareem, Hakeem would dominate. I also think he would cause Kareem a lot of problems with the sky hook.

Just look at the clips and how he manhandled Robinson and Ewing and you will see that when he wanted to really step up, he couldn't be stopped.

Anyway, he dominated in an error where there were already dominate centers. Wilt and Russell played in a day where the talent level wasn't as high. Also the three point line wasn't around back then so players played under the rim. More rebounds (tip ins ect.) As for Kareem having 3 years in there where he wasn't "Kareem" anymore, the same can be said about Hakeem. Hakeem even said in an interview that he was only playing out his contract and that had he not been under contract he would have retired. If you remember his second to last season he had a bad case of asthma which sidelined him for the final month of the season.

Anyway, had Clyde and Hakeem been together throughout their playing days, I am sure things would have been much different and the whole world would recognize Hakeem for the player he was (the greateset center of all time.) Scoring average isn't everything. If it was, Duncan wouldn't be considered as one
of the greatest either. Anyway, you try and score 26 points while fasting. It's not as easy as you think.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/history/Hakeem_...s-91094-34.html
madisonsmadhouse
The dream was probably the second most incredible player I ever got to see in person. It amazed me that a guy who didn't pick up a basketball until he was 14 could be as smooth and talented as he was. I would take the Phi Slamma Jamma over Duncan in a heartbeat.
Jordan4life_2007
Duncan vs Dream? LMAO! Hakeem was a considerably better player at his peak than Duncan has ever been. Did Hakeem have a flaw? I can't really think of one.
eddog2
QUOTE (Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 28 2006, 12:23 AM) *
Duncan vs Dream? LMAO! Hakeem was a considerably better player at his peak than Duncan has ever been. Did Hakeem have a flaw? I can't really think of one.

His only flaw was not living in a era where Bill Russell, Kareem, and Wilt played. There he could have dominated those players and proved that he was the greatest center of all time.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 28 2006, 08:01 AM) *
His only flaw was not living in a era where Bill Russell, Kareem, and Wilt played. There he could have dominated those players and proved that he was the greatest center of all time.

Good point. The only real other center he had to compete with at his prime was David Robinson, and it really wasn't even close. Hakeem played in the era of the guards, and was really overlooked. I was lucky enough to live in Houston when he was finishing college and starting his career with the Rockets, and I will never forget the kid. So silky smooth.
SleepyWhiteSox
The Dream Shake!
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 28 2006, 08:01 AM) *

Russell wouldn't be a center by today's standards, but I don't really think either Kareem or Wilt would have any problem playing now. Both were huge (both were over 7 feet tall and weighed about 270) and mobile, and Kareem was arguably the most skilled big man ever. Wilt would at least be like Shaq in his prime, and there isn't really a strong comparison for Kareem (maybe Hakeem, but Kareem was stronger).

Hakeem's numbers would probably be a bit better back then, but I still have a hard time seeing him consistently putting up scoring numbers as good as those two had in their prime. Even playing with other Hall of Famers on the roster, those two scored more than Hakeem did, and he was a one-man-show most of his career.

It's not like the 70's and 80's were totally devoid of good post players either, you had multiple Hall of Famers like Moses Malone, Artis Gilmore, Elvin Hayes, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish, Bob Lanier, Bob McAdoo, and Bill Walton, plus Ralph Sampson was damn good for a while, and you still had guys like Ewing and Olajuwon getting started too.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 28 2006, 02:21 PM) *
Russell wouldn't be a center by today's standards, but I don't really think either Kareem or Wilt would have any problem playing now. Both were huge (both were over 7 feet tall and weighed about 270) and mobile, and Kareem was arguably the most skilled big man ever. Wilt would at least be like Shaq in his prime, and there isn't really a strong comparison for Kareem (maybe Hakeem, but Kareem was stronger).

Hakeem's numbers would probably be a bit better back then, but I still have a hard time seeing him consistently putting up scoring numbers as good as those two had in their prime. Even playing with other Hall of Famers on the roster, those two scored more than Hakeem did, and he was a one-man-show most of his career.

I really believe Hakeem's numbers would have been HUGE back in that era. Thinking back at how athletic, and smooth Olajuwon was, and remember the pace of games back in the earlier eras, coupled with the footwork and touch he had, I think he is a 30 PPG guy in the 70's, easy.
eddog2
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28 2006, 09:04 AM) *
Good point. The only real other center he had to compete with at his prime was David Robinson, and it really wasn't even close. Hakeem played in the era of the guards, and was really overlooked. I was lucky enough to live in Houston when he was finishing college and starting his career with the Rockets, and I will never forget the kid. So silky smooth.

He played against some pretty good centers. 3 of the 13 listed in the top 50 players in NBA History. And he dominated all 3. I just wish he would have been able to play Russell, Wilt, and Jabar in their prime.

Below is a list of some of the centers he played against

Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, Shaq (his early years), Brad Daugherty (before the injuries), Mutumbo, Divac, Rik Smits, Rony Seikaly, Arvydas Sabonis, Manut Bol, Mark Eaton,

He also played during parts of Jabar's, Moses Malone, and the middle of Robert Parrish's career.

He actually played against a better group of centers then any other person that everyone wants to put in the top five centers of all time. Any of the centers listed above would have dominated in the 50's, 60's, 70's.

I just started to realize how blessed the game was to have some many good centers at one time. If you look at todays NBA, it is a disgrace how bad centes are. In 1996, Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, and Dikembe Mutombo averaged double-doubles. With the exception of Shaq there really is no legitimate second center that is a great scorer and good defender. It's pretty sad. Who knows if we will ever experiece that era again. Hopefully, Oden will be as good as everyone expects and he can revive the NBA's pathetic group of centers.

However, today we are blessed with one of the greatest groups of PF's/SF's to ever play the game. During Hakeems error the quality of the PF position was high but it has never been higher then it is today. (Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, J. O'neal, Gasol, Elton Brand, Bosh, Rasheed Wallace, & Weber.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 28 2006, 02:21 PM) *

I think it is easier to average 30 year after year while shooting 50%+ on a team with a legit second player. Just ask Michael
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Sep 28 2006, 02:32 PM) *
He played against some pretty good centers. 3 of the 13 listed in the top 50 players in NBA History. And he dominated all 3. I just wish he would have been able to play Russell, Wilt, and Jabar in their prime.
Below is a list of some of the centers he played against

Robinson, Ewing, Mourning, Shaq (his early years), Brad Daugherty (before the injuries), Mutumbo, Divac, Rik Smits, Rony Seikaly, Arvydas Sabonis, Manut Bol, Mark Eaton,

He also played during parts of Jabar's, Moses Malone, and the middle of Robert Parrish's career.

He actually played against a better group of centers then any other person that everyone wants to put in the top five centers of all time. Any of the centers listed above would have dominated in the 50's, 60's, 70's.
I just started to realize how blessed the game was to have some many good centers at one time. If you look at todays NBA, it is a disgrace how bad centes are. In 1996, Shaq, Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Mourning, and Dikembe Mutombo averaged double-doubles. With the exception of Shaq there really is no legitimate second center that is a great scorer and good defender. It's pretty sad. Who knows if we will ever experiece that era again. Hopefully, Oden will be as good as everyone expects and he can revive the NBA's pathetic group of centers.

However, today we are blessed with one of the greatest groups of PF's/SF's to ever play the game. During Hakeems error the quality of the PF position was high but it has never been higher then it is today. (Duncan, Garnett, Dirk, J. O'neal, Gasol, Elton Brand, Bosh, Rasheed Wallace, & Weber.
I think it is easier to average 30 year after year while shooting 50%+ on a team with a legit second player. Just ask Michael

Take a look at the list of guys Kareem played against that I added. Not exactly a bunch of slouches. They would have destroyed those last 6 guys you listed, and Moses and Kareem were shadows of their former selves by then. There are definitely more big men out there now than when Chamberlain played, but it's about a draw with Kareem. Plus Wilt still faced Russell and Walt Bellamy an awful lot.

I definitely disagree with the last part. Michaels' best scoring years were early in his career when it was a one-man show. He's an exception anyways. Look at how much Kobe's average has gone up without Shaq, or how Iverson puts up a ton with no one around him, or how T-Mac scored more when he was still in Orlando. Put Tim Duncan on the Atlanta Hawks and I bet you he averages at least 25 a game. Someone has to take the shots. Also, notice how Kareem and Wilt's numbers went down noticeably when their teams got better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 28 2006, 02:27 PM) *
I really believe Hakeem's numbers would have been HUGE back in that era. Thinking back at how athletic, and smooth Olajuwon was, and remember the pace of games back in the earlier eras, coupled with the footwork and touch he had, I think he is a 30 PPG guy in the 70's, easy.

In the 50's and 60's quite possibly, he'd have been able to physically dominate people. Wilt still had to take an awful lot of shots to get there though, something Hakeem didn't do very often. I don't really think so in the 70's and 80's (unless he played for the Nuggets or someone like that), the quality of post players isn't really that different. The guards also played a huge role in that era, he might not have gotten as many touches.

Hakeem was very good and I'd probably put him 3rd, I just don't think he was quite as dominant as the other two.
eddog2
Hakeem wasn't a selfish player. That is why he didn't put up 30 shots a night. Could he? Sure. He just didn't want to be a selfish player.

Anyway, its obvious I am not going to convince anyone of Hakeem's greatness. I just hope all of you check out the video for yourself. Check out the way he performed when it mattered most. And evaluate the quality of his teammates at the time he won the championship. What other champion can you list that didn't have a dominating 2nd or 3rd option?

In 1993-94 they beat the Knicks. Their best 2nd option was Otis Thorpe who averaged 14 points. They also had Kenny Smith and Vernon Maxwell. But this team had by far the weakest 1-2-3 punch of any champion that I can remember (at least recently). They had Sam Cassell and Horry but both players were young and far from reaching their prime. Olajuwon carried that team to the finals and won it all even though nobody expected it.

They were the first team to ever win the championship as a 6th seed in 1994-1995. They beat two 60 win teams and a 59 win team in the playoffs. (the first team to ever beat two 60 win teams in the playoffs) And they did it with Clyde Drexler. Although good Drexler was definately on the downside of his career (no modern day Kobe or Wade).

Anyway, Hakeem proved that he could carry a team on his shoulders and win it all. It says a lot about the player he was. You don't have to score 30 points a game and take 30+ shots to be the best player on the floor or the best center ever. You just have to be capable of doing those things. And Hakeem was definately capable of doing whatever he had to do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.