Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Big O versus Magic...
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
ZoomSlowik
Since everyone else is doing these, I might as well. Edogg already took my other guy that doesn't get enough credit (Hakeem), so here is my other: Oscar Robertson. A comparison with Magic Johnson:

Robertson:

stats: 25.7 points, 7.5 rebounds, 9.5 assists, .485 FG, .838FT (steals were not kept, no 3-pointers)

awards: 1964 MVP, 9-time All-NBA 1st team, 2 time All-NBA 2nd team, 12-time All-Star.

Johnson:

stats: 19.5 points, 7.2 rebounds, 11.2 assists, .52 FG, .848 FT, .303 3PT, 1.90 steals

awards: 3-time MVP, 9-time All-NBA 1st team, 1-time All-NBA 2nd team, 12-time All-star.

I would take Robertson. He was a solid scorer, rebounder, passer, and defender. He was the only player to ever average a triple-double over the course of a full season. He'd probably be at or near the top of the steals list if they had kept that stat when he played. Johnson was a better playmaker, but Robertson gives you the complete package.

I personally consider those two to be the best two PG's ever, with West (more of a combo guard), Thomas, Cousy, and Stockton being in the next group. I'd personally rank those guys: West, Thomas, Stockton, and then Cousy. I honestly don't know where Kidd and Nash would fit right now, I need to look at that once their careers are over. I'll go into more detail on that if the discussion gets going...
Chi-town23-33
It's very close between these two, but the I will have to take Magic Johnson. The stats tell you to take Oscar Robertson, and I'm not saying he was not phenominal, but I believe he played at a time where he was just so far ahead of everyone else athletically. He could do it all, but there were very few guys walking around the court like a Magic or an MJ or a 'Nique or players along those lines. You had great players like a Havlicek or a Cousy, but the crop just was not the same. That's also another reason why Russell and Chamberlain dominated the way they did, because of their size and athleticism. Can he hold his own against them? Yes, but it is all relative to the players they played against as well.

Magic Johnson is just a truly unique player. He has the size advantage and is the probably the best passer to ever grace the hardwood. Rebounding would also be Johnson's edge due once again to his size and he can give you 20 points a game or more. Not quite the scorer that The Big O was but still far above the average player. Magic also gives you two steals a game and I'm sure the Big O can match that as well. Its a shame the Big O (and Chamberlain and Russell for that matter) did not play against players more on there skill level that came later. None the less that does not make them any less great, but it pushes my choice more towards Magic.

So my final word:

1) Magic
2) Oscar
3) Jerry (I consider him a shooting guard)
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chi-town23-33 @ Sep 28 2006, 10:06 PM) *
It's very close between these two, but the I will have to take Magic Johnson. The stats tell you to take Oscar Robertson, and I'm not saying he was not phenominal, but I believe he played at a time where he was just so far ahead of everyone else athletically. He could do it all, but there were very few guys walking around the court like a Magic or an MJ or a 'Nique or players along those lines. You had great players like a Havlicek or a Cousy, but the crop just was not the same. That's also another reason why Russell and Chamberlain dominated the way they did, because of their size and athleticism. Can he hold his own against them? Yes, but it is all relative to the players they played against as well.

Magic Johnson is just a truly unique player. He has the size advantage and is the probably the best passer to ever grace the hardwood. Rebounding would also be Johnson's edge due once again to his size and he can give you 20 points a game or more. Not quite the scorer that The Big O was but still far above the average player. Magic also gives you two steals a game and I'm sure the Big O can match that as well. Its a shame the Big O (and Chamberlain and Russell for that matter) did not play against players more on there skill level that came later. None the less that does not make them any less great, but it pushes my choice more towards Magic.

So my final word:

1) Magic
2) Oscar
3) Jerry (I consider him a shooting guard)

I'd buy the first argument a little more for big men than guards. Size is one thing, but quickness and skill are bigger factors for guards. The guys were still pretty quick back then (especially considering how often he ran into Bob Cousy, Jon Havlicek and Hal Grier during his career), though they didn't have the vertical aspect of their game. Big O easily would have hit that steal mark (at least from all accounts), he was considered an elite defender.

Obviously I have nothing against Magic. He was a transcendent talent at the position, a solid athlete and a great passer. I'm just not quite as sold on his scoring and defense.
madisonsmadhouse
Its hard to compare guys, when I have never seen one of the guys play, except on film. You really miss out on the flow of the game, and the feeling of how in control and dominant some guys are. From his numbers Roberston looks like one of the greatest all around players in history, as was Magic. Who knows.
eddog2
I'd take Hakeem as well. Oh sorry this is not the right post.

Anyway, I would probably have to agree with Zoom on this one. I loved Magic but everyone acted then and still acts like he was the best thing to ever come along. He was probably the best passer ever for someone his size but I think "O" was a faster and more dangerous player on both ends of the court.

Averaging a triple double is an outstanding feat. I think Magic would have been able to do it back then as well but I still think "O" was a better defender. That gives him my vote. That is also the edge that got Hakeem my vote.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 29 2006, 08:18 AM) *
Its hard to compare guys, when I have never seen one of the guys play, except on film. You really miss out on the flow of the game, and the feeling of how in control and dominant some guys are. From his numbers Roberston looks like one of the greatest all around players in history, as was Magic. Who knows.

You're right, that's very difficult. I only really saw Magic toward the end of his playing days too, which makes it even harder. I'll make sure the next one I come up with is two more recent guys.

I just noticed that I didn't change the title after I dropped West from the comparison. That would have doubled the post length roughly tongue.gif . Oh well, I can fix that...
Chi-town23-33
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Sep 28 2006, 11:33 PM) *
I'd buy the first argument a little more for big men than guards. Size is one thing, but quickness and skill are bigger factors for guards. The guys were still pretty quick back then (especially considering how often he ran into Bob Cousy, Jon Havlicek and Hal Grier during his career), though they didn't have the vertical aspect of their game. Big O easily would have hit that steal mark (at least from all accounts), he was considered an elite defender.

Obviously I have nothing against Magic. He was a transcendent talent at the position, a solid athlete and a great passer. I'm just not quite as sold on his scoring and defense.

I agree that the argument applies to big men a little more that the guards, but still the level of athleticism amongs the entire league was not near the level during Magic's time. I think the Big O had the athleticism of an MJ, but did not get the chance to showcase his talents against more people like him. In fact I think the players of that era we remember, for the most part, fit into this category as well (like Elgin Baylor).

This is a very hard pick to make because I there is so much less material available on Oscar Robertson than Magic Johnson. Therefore, it is easier for me to pick Magic over the Big O. I just want to say everyone has had a valid argument. Once you get into that upper-tier of players (top-10) it becomes very tough to choose between them.

My Comparison:

Stats: About even, but Oscar is the better offensive player and probably defensive (though I'm less certain on that)
Awards: Even, it is eerie how similar those lines are in the original post
Championships: Magic (he has more, I know he had Kareem, but the fact is he has more)
Legacy: Magic (A great ambassador for the game, like Oscar, but he is credited with revolutionizing it and brining it to what we know today plus all the community service).

Maybe if I had seen Oscar in-person my opinion would change, but for now ,as I said before, I'll take Johnson.

Edit - Did some more researching and saw a quote from Red Auerbach saying that Oscar was ahead of his time. This can be found in his player biography on NBA's History page. It also credits Robertson with being the first "big guard" at 6-5 and 210 pounds. From this it would appear that he was dominant not only due to skill, but do to physical attributes.
Rowand44
Oscar's stats are still mind boggling to me.
Chi-town23-33
QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 29 2006, 04:38 PM) *
Oscar's stats are still mind boggling to me.

They truly are. Players have come close (Magic, MJ, Kidd) but no one will ever average that triple-double over an entire season again. EVER.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.