Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tyson chandler article
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
DutheDoduhon21
did anyone else read it?
i just wanted to say i thought it was a good story and i hope tyson can be great w/ the hornets like he wants to be. hes got a mohawk going on too, taking after chad johnson it looks like. tongue.gif
hinrich fan
Yeah, I read it...a nice write up...and I really hope Tys has success with the Hornets. Every time I hear Chandler's name I think....damn...we couldv'e had Elton Brand. But no turning back time...the Bulls are ready for the East...and here's hoping Tyson gets it together...maybe a change of scenary is what he needs.
Wanne
QUOTE (hinrich fan @ Sep 29 2006, 05:09 PM) *
Yeah, I read it...a nice write up...and I really hope Tys has success with the Hornets. Every time I hear Chandler's name I think....damn...we couldv'e had Elton Brand. But no turning back time...the Bulls are ready for the East...and here's hoping Tyson gets it together...maybe a change of scenary is what he needs.

I like Tyson too....nothin' but good thoughts for him down the road.
Jordan4life_2007
I'll always be a Tyson fan. Nobody could ever question his work ethic and desire. However, with Tyrus Thomas on board, I think will quickly forget Tyson was ever here.
hammerhead johnson
Link?

Don't make me invest in anything produced by ESPN, please. biggrin.gif
DutheDoduhon21
i would give you a link but its in a magazine and if you were to go on the site its in insider
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Sep 30 2006, 11:32 AM) *
i would give you a link but its in a magazine and if you were to go on the site its in insider

sad.gif

If I purchase the magazine, will I respect myself in the morning?

I would just as soon flush my money down the toilet.
creations
tom discussed this in the unmoderated topic forum yesterday... rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif hehe
Jo Jo English
Shhh...

-------------------------------

"Nearly two dozen relatives had gathered in Chicago to celebrate last New Year's Eve. There was mingling, and there was music. There was also an absent host. Tyson Chandler was in no mood to entertain. He'd just spent 14 minutes over the previous couple of hours scoring two points, committing three fouls and snaring zero rebounds in a loss to the Suns. What was there to party about?

Besides, the conversations had become pretty predictable. Everyone had an opinion about how to fix his game. The coaching staff, the talk radio junkies, even well-meaning family members. So rather than subject himself to any more Monday-morning quarterbacking, Chandler decided it best to sit this one out in his bedroom and mope.

Then the one man who had always refused to meddle in Chandler's on-court affairs, his stepdad of 15 years, entered the room. "What's wrong with you?" asked William Brown, as only an ex-Marine can. "Why are you shooting free throws like that? Why aren't you running the floor? Why are you dropping passes?" He didn't wait for answers. He just said his piece and left.

"I was like, Wow," Chandler says. "He just went off on me. That was my low point."

How could he even make that distinction? Last season was pretty much one long bottom-scraper for Chandler. Fresh off signing a six-year, $63 million deal with the Bulls, what was supposed to be the best of times was instead the most disastrous. Five points a game, nine rebounds, just half his free throws made. It was embarrassing, frustrating and depressing, and it got him off-loaded to the New Orleans/Oklahoma City Hornets during the off-season.

That misery is an ancient memory now. On a Tuesday in September, a smiling Chandler works out with three Hornets rookies and second-year forward Brandon Bass at Southern Nazarene University, just outside Oklahoma City. The way the seven-footer explodes off the floor in a dunking drill makes you look for the concealed trampoline. "He looks like a dang video game," says one observer. But that's only part of what makes you stare. Chandler certainly looks out of place in his purple practice gear, but that's not it either.

His hair. It's doing strange things. The curls are gone, the waves hard to find. The fade is awfully high. Wait, is that a ...

Yup, he's sporting a li'l Mohawk.

"My mind-set this summer was to get down and dirty, so I had to get something grimy," Chandler says after the three-and-a-half-hour session. "I thought about throwing on war paint, too."

The man means business. His mediocre five-year career has left a bad taste. He's had enough of watching cats who used to look up to him -- guys not worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as he was back in high school -- blow up while he's called a buster. So to all those waiting to see how the former man-child will blow it this time, he just wants to say: Hope you're not in any rush.

His back is fine, his head is clear and his aspirations are sky-high. Chandler is thinking something on the order of 15-plus points, 12 boards and two blocks a night. He's so confident, he's literally putting his money where his mouth is.

"What are you going to play in this season?" someone asks Chandler as he unlaces his black-and-gray Nike Huarache 2K4s in the kitchen of his plush new digs in the OKC.

"I don't know," he says. "I'm not talking to any shoe companies now."

Why not? "Because I ain't Tyson Chandler, I'm this other dude everybody has been talking about. When I become Tyson Chandler again, when I become the All-Star I know I can be, then I'll talk."

The warrior's cut was just the first step. Starting in June, Chandler worked out five days a week with his personal coach, Jerry DeGregorio, at the Santa Monica Boys & Girls Club, where he lifted, ran and shot for four and a half hours a day. He worked on jump hooks and sky hooks with both hands, and a turnaround J. He honed off-the-dribble moves, eliminated a nasty hitch in his jumper that had been there since a back injury two years ago, and stuck it out until he made at least 75 of 100 free throws every night. He hired a nutritionist and even slept in a room separate from his wife, Kim, and 5-month-old daughter, Sacha-Marie, so he'd be assured of a good night's sleep. "He worked as hard as any player I've ever seen," says DeGregorio, a former Clippers executive and assistant coach.

That's a beat Chris Paul can dance to. The Hornets' precocious star has long been a fan. In 1997, Paul was a ball boy for his older brother's AAU team at the national championships in Orlando. Chandler was a 14-year-old beast on an opposing team. "They ran one play the whole time," Paul says. "Somebody would set a back screen, then they'd throw Tyson an alley-oop. He was just catching alleys and dunking on everybody. I was amazed." So Paul literally jumped for joy when Hornets coach Byron Scott called him after midnight to say the team had traded P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith for Chandler.

"All I could think of was those alley-oops," he says.

If anyone knows how to mesh a pass-first point with a high-wire big, it's Scott. It wasn't too long ago that he rode Jason Kidd and Kenyon Martin to back-to-back Finals with the Nets. Is it so far-fetched to see Paul and Chandler as a younger version of that pair? Paul's knack for finding big men for easy hoops has Scott's head filled with visions of Chandler hovering above the rim. And then there's the buckets he'll get off the glass and on the break now that the Hornets are planning to rev it up even more.

"I look at him like a Marcus Camby," Scott says, confirming savvy fantasy players' wildest dreams. "A guy who can change the game on the defensive end, knock down the occasional open shot, run the floor and protect the paint. I don't see any reason why he shouldn't average a double-double this season."

But not everyone thinks talking about a major transformation will make it so. How could they, after what little has come before? While no one doubts that Chandler, who had the fourth-most offensive rebounds last season, will hit the boards and defend, many wonder if he can thrive as a leading big man. Even the scouts who like him think he's much better off playing alongside a physical center like Eddy Curry; from that vantage, he can avoid the heavy banging and swoop in to shake things up from the weak side. As for any promise of more offense, well, they'll believe the box scores.

"I've seen nothing to suggest he's capable of being a serious threat," one Western Conference scout says. "I'll be more than happy to let him try to beat us with faceup 15-to-17-footers."

Chandler understands where the doubters are coming from, but he also knows he used to stroke college-distance threes in high school. He says he began to feel like his old self again after DeGregorio fixed his shot, and he's sure he'll capitalize on slack D when opportunity knocks.

And it will knock often in Scott's Princeton set.

The new Hornet's first glimpse of his future at Southern Nazarene is eye-opening. "You mean when I catch it here, I can do whatever I want?" Chandler asks as he stands at the foul line.

"Yeah, you can pass to a cutter, take a jumper if your man sags or take him off the dribble," his new coach says. Chandler, who guesses he had five plays called for him last season, doesn't quite know what to make of this information. When Scott puts him on the low block and tells him that once the cutters go through he'll have one-on-one coverage about 90% of the time, the big man looks like he will break into a cheer.

"I'm so happy," Chandler says later, leaving SNU in his black Range Rover. "It's crazy how things have fallen into place."

On the passenger's seat is Beyoncé's new CD, B'Day. Chandler will have a B'Day of his own soon. He turns 24 on Oct. 2. If his family descends on his home to celebrate, it'll be a different scene than the one last winter. This time around, Chandler won't be the sulking killjoy off by himself.

He'll be the life of the party."

----------------------------

Yeah, I'll miss Tyson somewhat like most of you. I still believe he will end up being a pretty good role player in the NBA who is capable of altering games in some very significant ways. Other times though, he will be a ghost on the court... a player you barely notice is there.

Regardless, good like Tyson... except when you play Chicago.
hammerhead johnson
Thanks, Jo Jo. cheers.gif

That $180 that I just dished out for the NBA package will turn out to be some of the best money that I have ever spent.
madisonsmadhouse
I get the feeling the trade is the final motivating factor needed for a Tyson Chandler breakout year.
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (Jo Jo English @ Oct 1 2006, 06:05 PM) *
"Chandler is thinking something on the order of 15-plus points, 12 boards and two blocks a night. He's so confident, he's literally putting his money where his mouth is."

I'd take that bet easy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 3 2006, 09:48 AM) *
I get the feeling the trade is the final motivating factor needed for a Tyson Chandler breakout year.

Apparently 10+ million a year wasn't motivation enough.

With the bar raised so low for him now, and playing on a young, bad team with Chris Paul to feed him, it's probably easier for him to exceed expectations than underachive...
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 3 2006, 10:07 AM) *
With the bar raised so low for him now, and playing on a young, bad team with Chris Paul to feed him, it's probably easier for him to exceed expectations than underachive...

I disagree. I think that the New Orleans Hornets will win at least 45 games.

PG: Chris Paul, Bobby Jackson
SG: Desmond Mason, Rasual Butler
SF: Peja Stoyakovic
PF: David West, Cedric Simmons
C: Tyson Chandler, Hilton Armstrong

Desmond Mason is one of the most underrated players in the league. I have him down as a Top 15 perimiter defender. He is about as slept-on as they come.

Bobby Jackson is the best back-up PG in the NBA, and one hell of a 6th man.

While Peja ain't exactly one of my guys, he is a deadly shooter from the outside. He fills gaps.

I am excited to see how Armstrong and Simmons will perform in their rookie years. That is the primary question mark IMO.

I'd rather see David West in a 6th man role, so hopefully, one of Simmons/Armstrong will step up and claim a starting gig.

There are no cancers on this team. JR Smith is gone with the wind, and I'm sure that Byron Scott threw a party after they shipped his sorry ass the hell outta there. That dude completely sucks at life.

What you have is a deep squad with a lot of defensive upside, plus a head coach that rewards hard-working players. They are pretty freaking far from "young and bad". Chris Paul might be ready to challenge for the MVP award this year. Legendary PGs don't grow on trees.

45 wins is the most realistic prediction if you take their crazy division into account, but I'm thinking that they could approach 50. We'll see.
WHarris1
Sweet hair
http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/sp/get..._7_52_25_pm.jpg
DutheDoduhon21
i like tys hair too
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Oct 3 2006, 06:02 PM) *
I disagree. I think that the New Orleans Hornets will win at least 45 games.

PG: Chris Paul, Bobby Jackson
SG: Desmond Mason, Rasual Butler
SF: Peja Stoyakovic
PF: David West, Cedric Simmons
C: Tyson Chandler, Hilton Armstrong

Desmond Mason is one of the most underrated players in the league. I have him down as a Top 15 perimiter defender. He is about as slept-on as they come.

Bobby Jackson is the best back-up PG in the NBA, and one hell of a 6th man.

While Peja ain't exactly one of my guys, he is a deadly shooter from the outside. He fills gaps.

I am excited to see how Armstrong and Simmons will perform in their rookie years. That is the primary question mark IMO.

I'd rather see David West in a 6th man role, so hopefully, one of Simmons/Armstrong will step up and claim a starting gig.

There are no cancers on this team. JR Smith is gone with the wind, and I'm sure that Byron Scott threw a party after they shipped his sorry ass the hell outta there. That dude completely sucks at life.

What you have is a deep squad with a lot of defensive upside, plus a head coach that rewards hard-working players. They are pretty freaking far from "young and bad". Chris Paul might be ready to challenge for the MVP award this year. Legendary PGs don't grow on trees.

45 wins is the most realistic prediction if you take their crazy division into account, but I'm thinking that they could approach 50. We'll see.

I'm dumb for completely forgetting that they went out and spent that money, but it still looks like their lack of size will hurt them...
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Oct 3 2006, 11:55 PM) *
I'm dumb for completely forgetting that they went out and spent that money, but it still looks like their lack of size will hurt them...

That is their team weakness, but hopefully, one of Armstrong/Simmons will step up and provide immediate dividends.

They'll be able to run, though. With West and Chandler at the 4 and 5 slots (respectively), teams other than Phoenix will have a hard time trying to keep up with them.

And in a half-court set, you have Chris Paul penetrating, which is beautiful. Someone is gonna be left wide open every time (Peja on the outside, West and Mason in the mid-range, and Chandler right underneath the rim).

Yeah, I know, Tyson still has to catch the ball... biggrin.gif
truthandbasketball
Believe me when I tell you I wanted to be a Tyson fan as much as anyone. I was happy when we got him even though it meant losing Brand. The way I saw it Elton was disgruntled and wanted out like Artest did.
I saw Tyson's highlight real on draft day and he looked like he had the potential to be another Garnett or Rasheed type player. I specifically remember him elevating for a dunk over everyone and I thought Wow! Weve really got something here!!!
I cheered for him and Eddy all through the years and waited for them to produce something. I even bought a Chandler jersey. Eddy showed flashes of greatness mixed with flashes of lazy and stupid and Tyson just never showed anything as far as Im concerned. Yeah hes a rebounder... thats about it. The guy makes Shawn Bradley look like Arnold Schwarzenegger and after five seasons still cant shoot a jump shot or even just catch the basketball.

I was 6 feet tall and dunking at 13 years old and played center for my basketball team. I was always taught you to keep the ball high, either over your head or about chest height, when you catch it in the post as you pivot to use your size. Tyson would always bring it low as he turned and get hacked as a result ending up in his signiture "flop" and free throws routine. This would be ok if he could shoot the free throws but he was struggling there too. Granted he did improve his free throws during the course of the season and had one or two good games here and there but I really dont see him as a big loss (except for his salary!), compared to what we got in exchange.

Tyrus Thomas will hopefully fill that Tyson role and be able to be effective backing up PJ. I think it was a mistake giving up JR though, hes got potential and I think well see that this year. Anyways Good Luck to Tyson in New Orleans, maybe Chris Paul will bring out the best in him and god knows that city needs something to cheer about!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.