Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bulls abused in practice after bad loss
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
madisonsmadhouse
Now and again, the gymnasium turned silent. The sounds of bouncing basketballs and stampeding feet of Bulls players running wind sprints became muted, which is usually a signal that practice is ending.

On Wednesday at the Berto Center, the silence was temporary, really just a tease, in a three-hour marathon practice.

This was payback from Bulls coach Scott Skiles for his players' fourth-quarter collapse in a home loss to Orlando on Tuesday, when they squandered a nine-point lead in the fourth quarter and made only 3 of 8 free throws.

With the NBA season winding down, many teams aren't even bothering with practices, but the Bulls are still in the playoff hunt and Skiles doesn't want to see them self-destruct again.

"We're not trying to damage anyone," he said. "That loss isn't a loss we can take lightly, though. It's a game we had under control like we have so many, and we let it slip away."

In a span of seven days, the Bulls were at their best late in victories over Boston and Charlotte, and at their worst late in losses against the Magic and at Indiana. Their problems in the course of a week were emblematic of their unpredictability all season.

If they had put up a fight in the fourth quarter against the Magic, Skiles likely would not have had practice Wednesday. The Bulls have not had a day off since March 20. The last time they went this long without rest was in the preseason.

At this point in a long season, it's debatable whether a practice will accomplish much. Perhaps tired legs could use a rest, or maybe these young players don't require the respite veteran players need.

"Young or old, after what happened [Tuesday] night we would have practiced, and we would have practiced hard," Skiles said. "We can't just let that pass. The Boston game, if we hadn't won that game at the very end … you could walk out of there feeling pretty good because we really laid it out there.

"[Tuesday] night in situations where we looked a little bit frozen, we can't just let that go. We have to get in and work on it. The guys have to get through that."

If the players considered the practice a punishment, they weren't saying so.

"It's not for me to answer," Tyson Chandler said with ice packs on his lower back. "It's not for me to challenge. It was tough. Everybody's tired right now."

The Bulls, who shot 14.3 percent in the fourth quarter Tuesday against the Magic, spent most of their time working on fundamentals, Ben Gordon said.

"Finishing layups, finishing at the basket," he said. "That's a problem we have. We missed easy plays. We just have to be more focused."

Gordon said the staff hinted after Tuesday's loss that the practice would be tough. "I thought it was going to be a lot worse," he said.

mxgarcia@tribune.com
SleepyWhiteSox
Three whole hours???

Brutal. jpshakehead.gif
BV1998
im glad we have a coach like skiles.
Chisoxfn
I love Skiles. He takes no guff and he really toughens this players up. Plus I know we won't have those primadonna's on this team who think they are better than everyone.

Skiles usually gets the most out of his team and even though we probably won't make the playoffs, I really think he's gotten about as much as possible out of a team with ZERO low post scorers.
The Gladiator
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 30 2006, 06:22 PM)
I love Skiles. He takes no guff and he really toughens this players up. Plus I know we won't have those primadonna's on this team who think they are better than everyone.

Skiles usually gets the most out of his team and even though we probably won't make the playoffs, I really think he's gotten about as much as possible out of a team with ZERO low post scorers.

Yes, but as Ive said on the ESPN boards, Personally I dont like skiles as a coach for this team. Ill admit before the season I thought he was the coach for us but, he would be perfect as a College Coach rather than the NBA. He tries to "Toy" With everybody and these guys are Full Grown Adults and dont take to easy to his critiscm. The Main reason I want skiles out of here is because of a Comment he made about a month ago saying quote, " I dont want to coach a "Star", Id rather have a guy that hustles throughout the game rather than an Attitude problem on occassions." Seriously, I know it would be hard for any coach to make a winner out of THIS PARTICULAR team due to the loss of Eddy Curry but for peat sakes, Maybe you should practice on you "PLAYS" rather than run the team for 4 hours and try to prove a point. Its like beating a dead horse with NBA Players and thats why I thiink he should go to College.
soxfan101
I like him as a coach but sometimes I really hate the lineups he puts out there.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Mar 30 2006, 10:04 PM)
I like him as a coach but sometimes I really hate the lineups he puts out there.

Yeah, tell me about it. Whenever I see Pargo and Gordon out on the court at the same time, I feel the need to send Skiles some hate mail, or something.

Also, you punish guys if they don't put forth the proper effort, and that wasn't the case against Orlando. We were just ice cold in the 4th Quarter. I think we shot like 10% or something? I don't even want to think about it.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 30 2006, 08:14 PM)
Yeah, tell me about it. Whenever I see Pargo and Gordon out on the court at the same time, I feel the need to send Skiles some hate mail, or something.

Also, you punish guys if they don't put forth the proper effort, and that wasn't the case against Orlando. We were just ice cold in the 4th Quarter. I think we shot like 10% or something? I don't even want to think about it.

This is one of those teams that as they start missing shots they end up getting distraught and they let it effect the rest of there games. I think its partly because they are young and partly because they lack a leader, but it would help a lot more if they could manage to get easy buckets (and not jumpers) from time to time.

Oh and I shudder at the thought of Pargo. HIDEOUS player.
Jeckle2000
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Mar 30 2006, 07:44 PM)
I know it would be hard for any coach to make a winner out of THIS PARTICULAR team due to the loss of Eddy Curry

You've got to be kidding... If you think that Eddy Curry is whats seperating this from being a winning team your nuts...

Personally I'm glad he's gone... And we can all see how well the Knicks are doing with him...
texsox
I would hope he wouldn't have done this if a playoff spot was in hand. This time of year, rest helps more than wind sprints, these aren't high school goof balls.

While I usually love old school, and Red could have gotten away with this with the Celtics, the modern NBA player will have his ass before long.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 30 2006, 10:14 PM)

I don't think this was because of effort, I think it was to give the team an edginess. They were totally scared after the first few bricks went up, and then no one wanted to step up. I think this was a message that they need to have guts, and Skiles was beating them down for not taking control of that game, instead hoping someone else would do it. To prove his point, Skiles took control and abused them in practice.
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Mar 30 2006, 10:04 PM)

I would be just fine if I never saw the 3 PG, 2 SF lineup again.

I just don't get some of the subs he makes...plus, when it's obvious they are not working, he will just let them go and get run on for 5-8 mins until he makes a change.

I still think the Bulls biggest problem this year is awful officiating.
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Mar 30 2006, 10:14 PM)

Part of the problem is we don't have a post player. Chandler can rebound, but even when he grabs an offensive one under the basket, he has to kick it out bc he is awful when he tries to score. We need at least 2 legitimate low post players this offseason.
madisonsmadhouse
Call me silly, but I think at least someone got the message. I didn't see nearly the amount of fear in the 4th quarter... hopefully this carries over into the HUGE games we have coming up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.