Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: J.R. Smith
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Michael Jordan
in first preseason game.

i know its preseason. but he not onlyh tremendous athleticism but he can shoot it! i wish paxson had kept him. he is afterall the big guard we needed. 6-6.. and only 20 years old btw..
eddog2
QUOTE (Michael Jordan @ Oct 19 2006, 01:09 AM) *
in first preseason game.

i know its preseason. but he not onlyh tremendous athleticism but he can shoot it! i wish paxson had kept him. he is afterall the big guard we needed. 6-6.. and only 20 years old btw..

Oh. I agree to some extent. I agree he is 6-6 and has tremendous talent and athleticism but he definately needs to play better defense. He is going to be one of the league's biggest threats from 3pt range in the coming years. I wanted to keep him but when we decided to trade him I think we did so for far to cheap.

There is no reason we shouldn't have been able to get a first round pick for him. (especially since Denver was so desperate to get a SG). In a few years we may look at this trade as one of Paxson's only true mistakes.
Balta1701-B
If Pax couldn't get a first round pick for him, I think that has to be because no one out there would give up that much for him.

This trade might be the sort that could make Pax look bad to people who don't pay attention...but that's only if they look at JR Smith's numbers. In my eyes, the only thing I care about is the numbers and performance of the shooting guards on the Bulls: Thabo, Ben, and so on. If we'd kept Smith, we would be cutting down on their playing time significantly, and maybe hindering their development.

It might be a mistake to have decided that Thabo and Ben were #1 and #2 on the depth chart and just going with those 2, but I don't think it will be, no matter how Smith does in another system.
whitesoxfan101
He's a hell of a talent, but I'm just not sure where he'd play. Between Thabo, Tyrus to an extent (he'll play some 3), Luol and Andres at the 3, Ben and Kirk at guards, Duhon at guard......I'm just not sure how he'd get minutes.
Michael Jordan
QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 19 2006, 01:21 PM) *
He's a hell of a talent, but I'm just not sure where he'd play. Between Thabo, Tyrus to an extent (he'll play some 3), Luol and Andres at the 3, Ben and Kirk at guards, Duhon at guard......I'm just not sure how he'd get minutes.

we could've traded somebody else. maybe gordon.
WHarris1
QUOTE (Michael Jordan @ Oct 19 2006, 04:42 PM) *

You do not trade a piece of your core in hopes that some project headcase comes around.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Michael Jordan @ Oct 19 2006, 02:42 PM) *

If I go to Scott Skiles and ask him "Ben Gordon or JR Smith" and he says Ben Gordon...I keep Ben Gordon. I can't imagine Pax would have let Smith go if Skiles wanted him. Scott Skiles has earned my trust. A couple years of intensive defense and massive overacheivement will do that. If Pax traded the guy Skiles wanted for a couple 2nd round picks, Pax should leave. Personally, I think Pax picked Gordon, and that's why Gordon is here, and at this point, I'll trust the judgement of the 2 guys who have carried us this far.
truthandbasketball
I actually talked to a girl who was one of JR Smiths teachers in high school a while back. I guess he was a troubled kid from a rough neighbourhood in Massachusetts and she thought he made a mistake by going to the NBA so soon.
Her mentality was that if he had a career ending injury he wouldn't have anything to fall back on as he really wasn't a great student. She told me that she wished he had gone to college and gotten his education first. When we picked him up in the Tyson trade I was happy because I'd seen his athletic ability and combined with Tyrus I thought that we would be on a whole new level of athleticism. I was envisoning alley- oop after alley-oop and the first slam-dunk trophy in Chicago since Jordan.
The problem is that he did get traded from Denver for a reason and Skiles has the zero tolerence rule so he became a Tim Thomas type casualty. I think that it would have been great to have him but he had the potential to go Ron Artest at any minute and with all our young players Scott was looking out for the team as a whole. Its a shame and he might become a star in Denver but he also had the potential to destroy team chemistry if we had kept him. Regardless we should have gotten more in return from Denver, what about Eduardo Najera? Theres a huge Mexican community in Chicago so he would have a been a crowd favorite and he's a really hard worker as weve seen in the past. Might have been a great fit.
TOMSPY77
I actually talked to a girl who was one of JR Smiths teachers in high school a while back. I guess he was a troubled kid from a rough neighbourhood in Massachusetts and she thought he made a mistake by going to the NBA so soon.
Her mentality was that if he had a career ending injury he wouldn't have anything to fall back on as he really wasn't a great student. She told me that she wished he had gone to college and gotten his education first. When we picked him up in the Tyson trade I was happy because I'd seen his athletic ability and combined with Tyrus I thought that we would be on a whole new level of athleticism. I was envisoning alley- oop after alley-oop and the first slam-dunk trophy in Chicago since Jordan.
The problem is that he did get traded from Denver for a reason and Skiles has the zero tolerence rule so he became a Tim Thomas type casualty. I think that it would have been great to have him but he had the potential to go Ron Artest at any minute and with all our young players Scott was looking out for the team as a whole. Its a shame and he might become a star in Denver but he also had the potential to destroy team chemistry if we had kept him. Regardless we should have gotten more in return from Denver, what about Eduardo Najera? Theres a huge Mexican community in Chicago so he would have a been a crowd favorite and he's a really hard worker as weve seen in the past. Might have been a great fit.

Nice story and thats what I was gonna say, that J.R's leaveing was solely an issue of team chemistry. I wish the guy well, especially after the last post, but we did not need some 'bull' in Skiles' china shop, screwing it all up.
Michael Jordan
Tonight JR Smith scored 26 points on 9/14 shooting 8 of them were 3 pointers...

Thanks alot skiles... and paxson...
RME JICO
Who cares about Smith? He was barely on the Bulls. There are a ton of trades that don't always work out. Look at Elton Brand. He may not have even fit into the Bulls system.

This thread should be put in the NBA sub-forum.
Chisoxfn
No doubt about it, we gave up a talent when we didn't keep him. That said we don't really have the minutes to go around as is, so I think Pax was trying to prevent a big blowup from happening by making the deal.

We seem to have guys on our bench that will be willing to accept there roles and understand that at times they may not play at all while at other times they play 15-20 minutes.
madisonsmadhouse
He.Wouldn't.Have.Played.In.Chicago.
soxfan101
Ive always talked about trading for him... but never thought it would happen... than when it did i was super excited and everything.... but of course we go off and trade him mecry.gif
spiderman
QUOTE (Michael Jordan @ Oct 25 2006, 12:45 AM) *
Tonight JR Smith scored 26 points on 9/14 shooting 8 of them were 3 pointers...

Thanks alot skiles... and paxson...

Smith is a talented player with a questionable work ethic, and attitude - he is being given a golden oppportunity with the Nuggets, and, who knows, it may work out for him, but are you really going to base that on a meaningless pre-season game ??

C'mon!

cheers.gif
CryptViLL
hes on the bench in my fantasy league
woohoo
hinrich fan
QUOTE (iWiN4PreP @ Oct 29 2006, 09:19 AM) *
hes on the bench in my fantasy league
woohoo

Even after his 26 point show...even though Karl said it was in mop up duty???
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.