Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Barrett makes team, Luke cut.
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
madisonsmadhouse
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bulls-headlines

Small wonder: Roster spot goes to Barrett

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

October 29, 2006, 11:33 PM CST

Soft-spoken and small, Andre Barrett left the Berto Center on Sunday with the Bulls' 15th roster spot, beating out 7-foot-1-inch Luke Schenscher, who was waived.

"It feels real good," Barrett said. "It shows my hard work paid off. [My trainer] put that mentality into my head to come into training camp and play like I'm going to make the team. He said sometimes I lacked that attitude and confidence."

Barrett, generously listed at 5-10, seemed to be the last thing the Bulls needed—another smallish guard. Combined with Schenscher's familiarity with the program, his chances seemed remote.

But management became impressed with his ability to run the team, play defense and be a pass-first point guard. He scored two game-winning baskets during the preseason.

It also didn't hurt that Chris Duhon missed the last two practices with a sore foot and is coming off off-season back surgery. Or that Schenscher sprained his ankle severely Oct. 22 and missed the last three exhibition games.

"I'm happy for [Barrett]," Ben Gordon said. "I've known him for a long time. He's always worked really hard and had to show the doubters what he can do. Even though he's small, he can hit the open shot, run a team really well. He's pesky on defense."

Barrett, a New York native out of Seton Hall, played AAU ball against Duhon and Gordon in high school and played against Gordon and Kirk Hinrich in college.

"I knew there were a lot of talented guards," Barrett said. "But I also knew I could compete."

Barrett has averaged 3.6 points and 2.1 assists in 57 games with Houston, Orlando, Phoenix and Toronto over the last two seasons. He turned down other training-camp feelers because he liked the Bulls' style.

It paid off.
Chisoxfn
I'm bummed, I liked Luke coming off the bench. He had a decent hook shot and had size. I just don't see why we need a 4th point guard (w/Thabo, Hinrich, Duhon).
madisonsmadhouse
When a 7 footer goes completely undrafted and can't make an NBA roster out of training camp, that ought to tell you everything you need to know about his talent.
Balta1701-B
I still wouldn't be surprised at all to see Luke back on this team at some point if there's an injury. He'll wind up back in the NBDL if no one else grabs him right?
TOMSPY77
Bit late on this one but I'm really glad that he made the team...
bschmaranz
Dammit, gotta change my avatar!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.