Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Very interesting article
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Jordan4life_2007
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ....nba/index.html

Basically Tracy McGrady talking about how he's not the same physically and feels old. That's pretty crazy considering he's only 27. He doesn't say anything about being injured. He just talks about how tough it is when you're basically a couple years removed from HS and you're playing 40 minutes or so a night. He even mentions Kobe doesn't look the same. I know that's hard to fathom, considering he did average 35 a game last year. But I don't think Kobe is as explosive/athletic as he was 3 or 4 years ago. Do you guys really think players that come straight outta HS, and play heavy minutes right from the start, will be effected sometime in their late 20's? Your prime is typically late 20's to early 30's. How will Lebron be at age 27? Intersting topic, IMO. It really makes you apperciate how a guy like Jordan was able to be so dominate at age, what, 36?
Chi-town23-33
QUOTE (Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 11 2006, 03:56 PM) *
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writ....nba/index.html

Basically Tracy McGrady talking about how he's not the same physically and feels old. That's pretty crazy considering he's only 27. He doesn't say anything about being injured. He just talks about how tough it is when you're basically a couple years removed from HS and you're playing 40 minutes or so a night. He even mentions Kobe doesn't look the same. I know that's hard to fathom, considering he did average 35 a game last year. But I don't think Kobe is as explosive/athletic as he was 3 or 4 years ago. Do you guys really think players that come straight outta HS, and play heavy minutes right from the start, will be effected sometime in their late 20's? Your prime is typically late 20's to early 30's. How will Lebron be at age 27? Intersting topic, IMO. It really makes you apperciate how a guy like Jordan was able to be so dominate at age, what, 36?

Yeah, Kobe averaged 35 a game last year, but that's deceiving. With all the rule changes, offensive production has ballooned. Just look at how many guys were around 30 a game last year ridiculous. And yes, watching Kobe last year, he was not the player he used to be. He looked to be playing like Jordan did in the second three-peat rather than the Jordan of the first three-peat. There were flashes of the old Kobe, especially during the 81 game, but just not the same. Now T-Mac looks to be just the same.

I think it has a lot to do with the conditioning of High School players, they just didn't look in good enough shape to sustain the jump from high school to the pros, especially Kobe having to play in the playoffs for 10 years. Now T-Mac has a bad back and Kobe has a bad knee. If players come out of high school they are going to have to be strong and conditioned to avoid these problems.

When people talk about prime in the NBA, they usually speak in the ages you gave, but I choose to look at it more in terms of years played. Between five and eight years. Going by that Kobe and T-Mac are falling out of there primes, all those minutes add up regardless of age.

On LeBron, I'm not sure what he will be like at 27, but when he came out of high school he seemed conditioned to play the NBA game from the start. Dwight Howard as well. But that's all based on appearance. LeBron could very well end up like Kobe and T-Mac, or he could not. A lot also depends on the person. Maybe LeBron will be like MJ and Karl Malone, able to play into old age and still be better than everyone else. He seems like he takes care of his body good enough to do so.
ZoomSlowik
You definitely have to look at wear and tear as opposed to age. I would think most of these guys will be significantly less effective after they reach 30. Kevin Garnett is the first one that is reaching that benchmark, and while he is still a damn fine player I'd guess that he has maybe 3 good years left. Some guys will definitely be more durable than others though, I would expect KG, Lebron, and Howard to hold up better than guys like T-Mac, Jermaine O'Neal, and Kobe. It's possible for some of these guys to keep playing at a fairly high level though, Moses Malone was still pretty good well into his 30's.
SleepyWhiteSox
Glide > t-mac still, by the way...
eddog2
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Nov 13 2006, 05:49 PM) *
Glide > t-mac still, by the way...

I know it's been a while since I posted, but I just couldn't resiste the invititation. Tmac started off slow this season but he'll be fine. And, I never said Tmac would have a better career then the Glide, on that he is a better athlete and a better player. Which he still is and which he will remain. End of story.
Chi-town23-33
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Nov 25 2006, 02:17 AM) *
I know it's been a while since I posted, but I just couldn't resiste the invititation. Tmac started off slow this season but he'll be fine. And, I never said Tmac would have a better career then the Glide, on that he is a better athlete and a better player. Which he still is and which he will remain. End of story.

Didn't we already have this talk biggrin.gif

Anyway, athleticism does not make the player.
Clyde baby!
Jordan4life_2007
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Nov 25 2006, 02:17 AM) *

Clyde was every bit the athlete, maybe even moreso, than T-mac was/is.
TeaLeafReaderII
Wade played four years... but I think if anyone has to leave the game early, it will be him.
Jordan4life_2007
QUOTE (Jordan4life_2006 @ Nov 28 2006, 10:11 PM) *
Clyde was every bit the athlete, maybe even moreso, that T-mac was/is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.