Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Webber wants out of Philly?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chicago Bulls Franchise
16th November, 2006 - 5:05 pm
Sacramento Bee -
Chris Webber does not want to be a near irrelavent component of the 76ers and if that is what the team intends for him, he wants to be dealt. He has talked to the club's management about the issue.

"I'm not going to keep playing like this," Webber said after scoring six points in 23 minutes in Philadelphia's 96-90 victory Wednesday night in Seattle.

"I don't like this role," he said. "So, you can take that however you want." [READ]

Link

The Bulls need interior presence and somebody that can score down low. I really dont think it would take that much to get him because he is pretty old but still capable of getting 20 and 10 here and there. IMO I think it would take something like PJ Brown or Michael Sweetney and maybe Chris Duhon. Think about that? We would have a lineup of

PG Hinrich
SG Gordon or Sefolosha
SF Deng
PF Chris Webber
C Ben Wallace

Webber would love his role to be one of our primary scorers and wont have to worry so much about grabbin' boards because thats Big Ben's specialty. What are your thoughts?
SoxFan1
He's not the best person in the locker-room, but he is a genuine nice guy. I've met him before and he's very open. He's obviously not as good as he once was but he still has low post ability, can shoot the outside jumper well, and is a great passing PF. They could run the offense through Webber in the post.

Depending on who we'd have to give up, I wouldn't mind a deal for C-Webb.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking because hist style of play fits perfectly for the Bulls. He and Ben who are above average passers fit great in this offense which is constently screening and moving. Plus if we got rid of PJ Brown we still get a veteran playing eager to win it all.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Nov 16 2006, 06:03 PM) *
Yeah thats pretty much what I was thinking because hist style of play fits perfectly for the Bulls. He and Ben who are above average passers fit great in this offense which is constently screening and moving. Plus if we got rid of PJ Brown we still get a veteran playing eager to win it all.

The thing about Webber though, is that he is one of those chroic 2nd-place type guys. No championships. He was always "that close" so I'm sure he'd be eager to win.
CryptViLL
I'd love having webber
ZoomSlowik
I'd pass for several reasons:

1) Webber is well past his prime. He'll be 34 by the end of the year, and hasn't really been a star in 4 years.

2) He is highly injury prone. He's never played more than 76 games in his career, and has only cracked 70 once in the past five years.

3) His field goal percentage has been ugly since 02-03 (his last serious injury). He hasn't shot over 43.5% for an entire season since then. That's mediocre for a guard much less a big man. He's a volume scorer, and he's simply not too likely to get 18 or 19 shots per game for the Bulls.

4) He's a liability defensively, and isn't THAT good on the glass anymore.

5) It may be a small sample size, but he is playing very poorly so far this year, averaging only 10.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, and shooting an abysmal 37.4 percent from the field.

6) The Sixers simply aren't going to give him away, he's still somewhat talented and he's a big name player. If they just wanted to dump him they definitely would have done it last year, and Iverson probably would have been dealt for the best package they could get as well. It wouldn't make sense for them to give him up unless they get a key piece for the future.

7) Lastly and probably most importantly, there are 2 years and more than $35 million left on his contract.

Chris Webber simply doesn't make sense for this team. He hasn't been an impact player in several years, he's old and injury prone, and he's still due a ton of money. Realistically he probably isn't even an upgrade over Nocioni anymore, he just gets more minutes and shoots a lot more. No thanks.
TeaLeafReaderII
In Bill Simmon's latest chicken little piece on the celtics he suggests that they might be considering blowing up the team, and a deal that would kind of make sense for the celts and the bulls would be Paul Pierce for knicks 1rst round pick, thomas, and PJ brown... or some trade like that... I know it won't help the size issue... but having pierce would lead to a lot more open looks for Gordon, et al...

I dunno something to think about.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Nov 16 2006, 11:20 PM) *
In Bill Simmon's latest chicken little piece on the celtics he suggests that they might be considering blowing up the team, and a deal that would kind of make sense for the celts and the bulls would be Paul Pierce for knicks 1rst round pick, thomas, and PJ brown... or some trade like that... I know it won't help the size issue... but having pierce would lead to a lot more open looks for Gordon, et al...

That would make our size issues even greater, although it gives us a go-to guy and a closer late in the game. But with Deng, Nocioni, Pierce, Khryapa, and Griffin, it only creates more cloggage at the forward positions.
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 16 2006, 11:53 PM) *
That would make our size issues even greater, although it gives us a go-to guy and a closer late in the game. But with Deng, Nocioni, Pierce, Khryapa, and Griffin, it only creates more cloggage at the forward positions.

That was basically just the blue print for the deal. Exchange the pieces as you like. Maybe Deng, Duhon, and Brown for Pierce... something along those lines. Or Nocioni, Brown, and the knicks pick.... So long as the deal helps the Celtics salary cap and makes them much younger. Brown pretty has to be a part to make the salaries work. I know that hurts the teams size... but Brown has been playing less and less every game with guys like Allen eating his minutes. Any advantage his height provides is dwarfed by the advantage a guy like Pierce provides.

If a deal that nets a proven superstar like pierce is available, I think Paxson would be crazy not to take it. I think the only question is whether or not the Celtics want to blow up the team.
madisonsmadhouse
Chris Webber is the antithesis of a Scott Skiles player, and this would never happen.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Nov 16 2006, 09:20 PM) *

At least for now, with the rash of bigs available in the upcoming draft, and the Knicks already sitting at 3-6, I think we're probably better off holding onto the Knicks pick.

One other thing to think about...we get someone in the upper part of the lottery with that pick, and for 3+ years, they have a much lower cap impact than picking up someone like a Pierce or a Webber.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Nov 16 2006, 10:38 PM) *
I'd pass for several reasons:

1) Webber is well past his prime. He'll be 34 by the end of the year, and hasn't really been a star in 4 years.

2) He is highly injury prone. He's never played more than 76 games in his career, and has only cracked 70 once in the past five years.

3) His field goal percentage has been ugly since 02-03 (his last serious injury). He hasn't shot over 43.5% for an entire season since then. That's mediocre for a guard much less a big man. He's a volume scorer, and he's simply not too likely to get 18 or 19 shots per game for the Bulls.

4) He's a liability defensively, and isn't THAT good on the glass anymore.

5) It may be a small sample size, but he is playing very poorly so far this year, averaging only 10.3 points, 8.3 rebounds, and shooting an abysmal 37.4 percent from the field.

6) The Sixers simply aren't going to give him away, he's still somewhat talented and he's a big name player. If they just wanted to dump him they definitely would have done it last year, and Iverson probably would have been dealt for the best package they could get as well. It wouldn't make sense for them to give him up unless they get a key piece for the future.

7) Lastly and probably most importantly, there are 2 years and more than $35 million left on his contract.
Chris Webber simply doesn't make sense for this team. He hasn't been an impact player in several years, he's old and injury prone, and he's still due a ton of money. Realistically he probably isn't even an upgrade over Nocioni anymore, he just gets more minutes and shoots a lot more. No thanks.

How does he not make any sense? To me he makes perfect sense. For one, the Bulls arent going to make any blockbuster trades and C Webb would probably be the biggest name they COULD get. He isnt THAT bad. He still gets on the boards and still scores around 15-20 ppg which is what the Bulls need. Not someone like PJ Brown who is a role player that will give you 9-10 a night. We need more than that, those are my reasons we go after C Webb.

QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Nov 16 2006, 11:20 PM) *

I highly doubt we will be trading Tyrus Thomas anytime soon..
spencer958
Stephen A. Smith said earlier on sportscenter that Weber is due $20 mil this year and $22 mil next
year. Way too much for a declining player.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Nov 17 2006, 03:31 PM) *
How does he not make any sense? To me he makes perfect sense. For one, the Bulls arent going to make any blockbuster trades and C Webb would probably be the biggest name they COULD get. He isnt THAT bad. He still gets on the boards and still scores around 15-20 ppg which is what the Bulls need. Not someone like PJ Brown who is a role player that will give you 9-10 a night. We need more than that, those are my reasons we go after C Webb.
I highly doubt we will be trading Tyrus Thomas anytime soon..

I outlined my reasons above, but the two pertinent ones to my response are his field goal percentage/shot attempts and his contract.

Webber is simply not going to get 18-19 shots per game on the Bulls, which is what he needs to get his points, especially in recent years. Just look at what he is doing this year so far, he's averaging just over 10 a game on 13 shots per game. Deng and Hinrich are both averaging around 17 a game with fewer attempts than that. Obviously that seriously hurts whatever value he'd have to the Bulls. There are several guys on our team that could score that much given that many opportunities (Gordon leads the team with 15 per game right now, quite a dropoff from Webber's total), Webber doesn't really offer anything new. Also we don't really need the help on the boards, that's what Ben Wallace is for. We're still out-rebounding our opponents despite a slow start in that area by some of our key guys.

Also I seriously doubt that the Bulls are going to take on another $17 mil to the payroll for the next two years for a 33 year old over-the-hill forward. If you're going to spend that kind of cash you better be getting an impact player, something Webber hasn't been for several years.

Generally when you acquire a guy making that much money it would qualify as a blockbuster.

QUOTE (spencer958 @ Nov 17 2006, 09:51 PM) *
Stephen A. Smith said earlier on sportscenter that Weber is due $20 mil this year and $22 mil next
year. Way too much for a declining player.

Whoops, guess his contract is back-loaded. I was going based off the average per year on the contract.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Alright, I know what your saying but I still would go after him.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 16 2006, 09:53 PM) *

NOt really though, because we would be able to play Pierce at the 2 and have a legitimate back court (with Duhon back to the bench and Hinrich at the point). Plus Pierce can get easy baskets by getting to the line which would be the next best thing to gaining a true low post player.

I'd be all over any move that involves Brown, Gordon, Thomas, our first round pick, and Duhon (if needed) for Pierce (and if we move Duhon give us one of there zillion Pg's).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.