Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fun with Statistics
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
TeaLeafReaderII
I was just checking out the ppg leader board... looking for Bulls players....

Kirk is sitting at #44 with 16.9ppg

Ben at #48 with 16.6 ppg

in the top 50... but just barely... then I sorted by points per 48 minutes...

Ben Gordon is at #25 with 27.3 pp48 min

Deng is at #32
Nocioni is at 40...
Kirk is getting 49...

so what am I saying???? START BEEN GORDON AND GIVE HIM, LUOL, AND EL CHAPU MORE MINUTES!!!!!
SoxFan1
IMO, the pp48min stat is very misleading. 1, because a player would have to play a complete game to score that many points and 2, considering most players dont play 48 mpg (not mile per gallon lol), you have ton consider the amount of time between the next game (in which they would complete the 48 minute cycle) and and the status of how they were playing in that previous game.

In short, Ben Gordon is inconsistent.
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Nov 30 2006, 04:13 PM) *
IMO, the pp48min stat is very misleading. 1, because a player would have to play a complete game to score that many points and 2, considering most players dont play 48 mpg (not mile per gallon lol), you have ton consider the amount of time between the next game (in which they would complete the 48 minute cycle) and and the status of how they were playing in that previous game.

In short, Ben Gordon is inconsistent.

I'm not sure I follow.... there is no cycle... It is just points scored divided by minutes played and multiplied by 48... if it was only points per minute, it would be a fraction.

It can be misleading... Tyson Chandler is awesome with rebounds per 48.... but the reason why his per game totals didn't match it is because he would get into foul trouble keeping him from the minutes.

For the most part, Ben isn't in foul trouble yet he is getting about 5-10 minutes per game less then the rest of the players in the top 30 in pp 48... he just isn't getting the minutes because for whatever reason Skiles hates him huh.gif
eddog2
B/C Skiles is a homo.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Nov 30 2006, 05:00 PM) *
I'm not sure I follow.... there is no cycle... It is just points scored divided by minutes played and multiplied by 48... if it was only points per minute, it would be a fraction.
It can be misleading... Tyson Chandler is awesome with rebounds per 48.... but the reason why his per game totals didn't match it is because he would get into foul trouble keeping him from the minutes.

For the most part, Ben isn't in foul trouble yet he is getting about 5-10 minutes per game less then the rest of the players in the top 30 in pp 48... he just isn't getting the minutes because for whatever reason Skiles hates him huh.gif

That whole "not playing defense:" thing tends to piss off Skiles.
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1 2006, 09:09 AM) *
That whole "not playing defense:" thing tends to piss off Skiles.

yup, thats why Skiles hates him...

but the question is whether or not Ben's offensive prowess can make up for his issues on the defensive end. I think it does huh.gif
ZoomSlowik
Gordon is also leading the team in shot attempts and turnovers right now besides his defensive issues. His shot selection seems to be an issue right now, his percentages are down from last year (especially behind the arc).

When someone is a one-dimensional player, it's kind of hard to justify leaving him out there for long stretches. Obviously he needs to be in there when our offense is struggling, but it's also pretty clear that he creates other issues when he's in there...
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 1 2006, 03:04 PM) *
Gordon is also leading the team in shot attempts and turnovers right now besides his defensive issues. His shot selection seems to be an issue right now, his percentages are down from last year (especially behind the arc).

When someone is a one-dimensional player, it's kind of hard to justify leaving him out there for long stretches. Obviously he needs to be in there when our offense is struggling, but it's also pretty clear that he creates other issues when he's in there...

very good points... I think those are issues he can work through, if you don't yank him at the first sign of struggles. Let him play... we will be rewarded.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.