Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Return of Tyson Chandler
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
SoxFan1
Bulls not sure what to expect from Chandler

December 1, 2006
BY BRIAN HANLEY Staff Reporter
Given the reunion that awaits Scott Skiles tonight in Oklahoma City, the media were trying to stir up a Hornets nest Thursday at the Berto Center with their questions for the Bulls coach.

Yep, Skiles facing Jannero Pargo for the first time since he left the Bulls is meaty stuff.

Yeah, right.

Actually, the role-playing Pargo went without mention. As expected, Skiles was quizzed about Tyson Chandler, whose five-year Bulls career ended last summer with a trade to the Hornets for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith.

Chandler didn't leave town quietly. He criticized Skiles for being uncommunicative with him throughout their time together. Skiles countered that he had spent more time talking to Chandler than any other player he has coached.

Skiles stayed away from any stinging barbs Thursday and kept his Chandler comments on the high road.

''He looks like he's playing well,'' Skiles said. ''He's really rebounding the ball, he's active, he's changing ends. He looks like Tyson looks when he's playing well. He looks like he's in good shape and able to play longer stretches. He wasn't able to as much last year.''

Chandler's poor conditioning was something Skiles talked about at length throughout last season, when the 7-1 center averaged 5.3 points, nine rebounds and 26.8 minutes after signing a six-year, $60 million contract. Chandler, who said he has hired a nutritionist this season, is averaging 5.9 points, 11.9 rebounds (a career-high pace) and 31.4 minutes with the Hornets.

''He had a lot of stuff going on last year,'' Bulls guard Kirk Hinrich said. ''Coming off his big deal, I don't know if he felt pressure to perform. His wife was having their first child. I don't know if it's just the change of scenery, [but] Tyson, when he relaxes, he can be a real effective player.

''When he started slow [last season], people started talking: 'Oh, Tyson's playing bad. Tyson's struggling.' You can see how the pressure could add up.''

Hinrich does believe Chandler, who never hid his emotions, will use playing his old team to his advantage.

''It's the kind of thing Tyson tries to use to motivate himself, so I'm sure he's going to try and do that,'' Hinrich said.

Brown and center Ben Wallace, who is expected to play despite being limited in practice the last two days because of a stiff neck, will take turns defending Chandler.

''He's an energetic player -- he's athletic, he can block a lot of shots and cause a lot of havoc with his length,'' Brown said. ''You have to be aware of him because he can be a difference-maker down in the paint. I'm going to try and use some of my experience against his youthful exuberance and see if I can get that on my side.''

NOTE: Scott Skiles got in a shot Thursday at Seattle SuperSonics coach Bob Hill, who had weighed in on the Ben Wallace headband flap. Hill told the Tacoma News Tribune the Bulls should have told Wallace about the team's headband ban before he signed his four-year, $60 million contract.

''And Ben would say, 'Yes, that's a problem,''' said Hill, who also has a no-headband rule. ''I mean, Ben Wallace has worn a headband and it has made his hair famous.''

Skiles shot back at Hill when asked if Tyson Chandler could become more of an offensive threat with the Hornets.

''You should probably ask Bob Hill,'' Skiles said. ''I noticed he's commented on a lot of situations nowadays. I stay out of other teams' [business]. ... I'm worried about my own guys.''
Balta1701-B
Chandler tonight:

24 minutes, 13 rebounds (2-Off), 0 points, 3 blocks, 1 ast.

Better than B-Wall's #'s to be sure.
SoxFan1
I'll take that line and a Win any night against NOK.
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Dec 1 2006, 10:31 PM) *
Chandler tonight:

where are you getting your numbers from? NBA.com says he has 31 minutes, 17 rebounds, (3 off) 3 blocks shots, 1 assist and 2 points...

worlds better then Ben's... but then again in 11 minutes Sweets had much better numbers then ben...
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Dec 1 2006, 10:31 PM) *
Chandler tonight:

where are you getting your numbers from? NBA.com says he has 31 minutes, 17 rebounds, (3 off) 3 blocks shots, 1 assist and 2 points...

worlds better then Ben's... but then again in 11 minutes Sweets had much better numbers then ben...
SoxFan1
This is nice to hear...

Chandler: Almost no hard feelings

December 2, 2006
BY BRIAN HANLEY Staff Reporter
OKLAHOMA CITY -- Tyson Chandler was just about to take the court for the Hornets' pregame shootaround when Bulls general manager John Paxson jogged up and intercepted his former player.

''How you doing, kid?'' Paxson said sincerely, while shaking Chandler's hand.

So began the reunion for Chandler and the Bulls on Friday.

''I was very happy to see him, I didn't expect it,'' said Chandler, who holds no hard feelings toward Paxson, the man who traded him to the Hornets for P.J. Brown and J.R. Smith. ''No, not at all. He gave me opportunity. I still love the organization.

''It's still a bunch of great people over there and I still have relationships with them. Even through the trade, I was still talking to Pax, and even after. They were good to me the whole time there. It' a better fit here for me, or it has turned out to be.''

About the only member of the Bulls that Chandler did not catch up with Friday was coach Scott Skiles. Chandler, as he left town, said he had ''no relationship'' with Skiles when he was with Bulls. Skiles countered at the time that he had talked more to Chandler than any other player he had coached.

Chandler said he was surprised that Skiles shot back publically when he heard Chandler's comments.

''Yeah, because I'm not the type of person to take any shots at anybody,'' Chandler said. ''I was just telling the truth in interviews. People were asking me, 'Did we have a close relationship?' and, 'Did we communicate?' And we didn't, that's the honest truth.

''Did I dislike the person? I try not to dislike anyone. To me, it was kind of twisted. Because I felt like in every interview, I said, 'I loved the organization. They treated me well all the time I was there.' The only thing I did say is that we had communication issues and that's the truth. So I didn't feel like [Skiles] needed to lash back'

Told Skiles was complimentary about his production this season, Chandler sounded sarcastic: ''Isn't that nice. Tell him I appreciate it.''

The Bulls likely appreciated the fact that Chandler -- who had 17 rebounds but only two points against them Friday -- found himself in the same early foul trouble that limited his effectiveness with them last season. Chandler, who was scoreless in the first half, went to the bench for the remainder of the second quarter when he picked up his third foul with 6:46 left.

The Ford Center crowd welcomed Brown with a nice ovation when he entered the game in the first quarter.

''It was a pleasure to play there,'' Brown said. ''I'll never forget that first game there against Sacramento, the opening night. I can't remember too many games I've been in that I've been so fired up and got so energized off the crowd. I've been playing this game a long time and that was probably one of the most memorable games I've had in my career.''

The way the Hornets have been received in Oklahoma City should lead to this city eventually getting a permanent NBA team.

''There's no doubt about it, they want to be a big-league city,'' Brown said. ''Not only Oklahoma City, but the whole state. They come from all around to see the Hornets play.'
hammerhead johnson
Yeah, awesome game for Tyson despite the fact that he was in foul trouble throughout the first half.

I feel bad for the Hornets. Desmond Mason is currently their best scoring option outside of Chris Paul. No Peja or David West = steamrolled.

I hope that they get their spiff together, and I'm sorry that they had to run into us right when we're starting to pick up a little steam.
DutheDoduhon21
Yeah, awesome game for Tyson despite the fact that he was in foul trouble throughout the first half.

I feel bad for the Hornets. Desmond Mason is currently their best scoring option outside of Chris Paul. No Peja or David West = steamrolled.

I hope that they get their spiff together, and I'm sorry that they had to run into us right when we're starting to pick up a little steam.

yeah i agree with everything, i want to see tyson do well also.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Dec 1 2006, 09:34 PM) *

Hmph, I was getting those from ESPN.com's scoreboard at the end of the game last night. Guess ESPN still doesn't have that working well.
Chisoxfn
I still think Chandler will eventually be what we all hope/hoped Ben Wallace will be for the Bulls. I always liked Chandler's attitude and I wish him the best.

He still can't score but I still think eventually he'll be able to get 8 or 9 a game while getting tons of boards and playing top notch defense. That said I completely understand why we moved him and I hope he enjoys it with Chris Paul.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.