Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bulls Interested in All-Star Big
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chi-town23-33
The big man in question: 2006 FIBA World Championship MVP Pau Gasol of the Memphis Grizzlies

The story is here: ESPN Pau Gasol Feature

According to another website, Chad Ford posted this trade:

Bulls Receive: Pau Gasol
Grizzlies Receive: Ben Gordon, P.J. Brown, 1st Round Pick

Ford said he is unsure if the deal would go down, and the Boston Celtics are also interested.

If I'm the Bulls I would not mind giving up Gordon for a legitimate inside scorer. His career numbers are 19/8/3/2. The only thing I would hesitate to give up is the first round pick, but Gasol could potentially open up so many things for other players, specifically Deng and Hinrich. Sefolosha would get some playing time, and Ben Wallace would have the freedom to patrol on the weakside.

What do you guys think?

Also, can we trade the pick to this year's draft? Technically its not our pick its the Knick's, we only have the right to swap selections with them, not the right to the pick itself. Is that correct, or am I wrong?
DutheDoduhon21
no way.
Chi-town23-33
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Dec 1 2006, 09:52 PM) *
no way.

Care to say why? Is it Gordon, or the pick, or do you just not think Gasol is worth it?
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I wouldnt give up that pick (NY's pick) for ANYBODY! Yes I said anybody. We have a legitimate shot at snabbing either Oden, Durant, or Wright in this years draft and ALL of those players I mention have superstar potential and are all low post scorers. I wouldnt trade that pick for anything I just want to see how New Yorks season will turn out before I trade that pick. If I were to trade for Gasol, I would go..

Grizzlies Recieve: Ben Gordon, Andres Nocioni, PJ Brown

Bulls Recieve: Pau Gasol and filler

Then again Memphis probably wouldnt do that.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Dec 1 2006, 09:52 PM) *
no way.

I'd do this deal in a heartbeat. It's a judgement call though becaus of Gasol's injury. But a 100% Gasol for Gordon, Brown, and a 1st rounder is a steal.
Chi-town23-33
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Dec 1 2006, 09:58 PM) *
I wouldnt give up that pick (NY's pick) for ANYBODY! Yes I said anybody. We have a legitimate shot at snabbing either Oden, Durant, or Wright in this years draft and ALL of those players I mention have superstar potential and are all low post scorers. I wouldnt trade that pick for anything I just want to see how New Yorks season will turn out before I trade that pick. If I were to trade for Gasol, I would go..

Grizzlies Recieve: Ben Gordon, Andres Nocioni, PJ Brown

Bulls Recieve: Pau Gasol and filler

Then again Memphis probably wouldnt do that.

Durant is not a low post scorer, he's basically a 6-10 shooting guard/small forward, but his talent is out of this world, but the numbers he's putting up in college seem to prove that he will be that superstar everyone expects him to be. Same with Wright, who does play down low, but it will take him more time.

Anyway, I'm still not sure whether the first round pick in 2007 can be given away. We'd be trading away the right to swap picks, but wouldn't that still leave Memphis with only one pick or would we be picking for them?

The original trade was just Chad Ford's report but its not the only possibility if the Bulls are interested. Gordon, Nocioni, and Brown for Gasol is reasonable as well as some possibilities with Sweetney and those second round picks. The main thing to remember is that the Grizzlies want to dump salary and get plenty of young talent.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I think people overate Gasol sometimes, certainly he is a good player but he has never been a double-double guy and has had his issues with injuries. IMO, he isnt a dominate player or a go to guy. He is just a very talented individual that does his work like Nocioni. He is tall, im all for Gasol but just not for either one of our rooks or that pick.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Dec 1 2006, 10:06 PM) *
I think people overate Gasol sometimes, certainly he is a good player but he has never been a double-double guy and has had his issues with injuries. IMO, he isnt a dominate player or a go to guy. He is just a very talented individual that does his work like Nocioni. He is tall, im all for Gasol but just not for either one of our rooks or that pick.

??? Pau Gasol is the epitome of a go-to-guy. Have you even looked at his season splits? The only season he missed a significant amout of games was 04-05 when he "only" played 56 games. In his other seasons, 82, 82, 78, 80.

18.5 ppg and 8.4 rpg are fantastic numbers. Last year he averaged over 20 ppg. He's just coming into his own as a PF in the NBA and the Bulls are a much better team with Gasol.

Duhon
Hinrich
Deng
Gasol
Wallace

WOW. He's also a 72% FT shooter and that's not bad for a big man. He would tremendously help the Bulls in those close games, and he is the finished we've been missing.
Balta1701-B
The only thing that would slow me down on making that deal right now is the Knick's pick. If the Knicks finish with one of the worst 3-4 records in the league, then I want that pick. If the Knicks keep playing non-terrible, then I would vastly prefer that deal. That would be an incredible deal in fact.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 1 2006, 10:15 PM) *
??? Pau Gasol is the epitome of a go-to-guy. Have you even looked at his season splits? The only season he missed a significant amout of games was 04-05 when he "only" played 56 games. In his other seasons, 82, 82, 78, 80.

18.5 ppg and 8.4 rpg are fantastic numbers. Last year he averaged over 20 ppg. He's just coming into his own as a PF in the NBA and the Bulls are a much better team with Gasol.

Duhon
Hinrich
Deng
Gasol
Wallace

WOW. He's also a 72% FT shooter and that's not bad for a big man. He would tremendously help the Bulls in those close games, and he is the finished we've been missing.

Back too back devistating ok maybe not devistating but dissapointing injuries in back to back seasons could be a problem. Maybe a fluke, nobody knows. Like I said he is a good player but he isnt someone you throw a ton of talent at just to get. You save that for either a guy like Oden or a guy like Bosh, Howard, Red, Arenas etc.. I dont think you can put Gasol as a top notch superstar in this league. His numbers speak for themselves, there solid but Oden or someone else can develop into something better than that.

Now granted I know Oden's success isnt a given, we dont even know if he will go out for the draft at season's end but He is a guy that you CANT miss (like a Lebron James).
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Dec 1 2006, 10:33 PM) *
Back too back devistating ok maybe not devistating but dissapointing injuries in back to back seasons could be a problem. Maybe a fluke, nobody knows. Like I said he is a good player but he isnt someone you throw a ton of talent at just to get. You save that for either a guy like Oden or a guy like Bosh, Howard, Red, Arenas etc.. I dont think you can put Gasol as a top notch superstar in this league. His numbers speak for themselves, there solid but Oden or someone else can develop into something better than that.

Now granted I know Oden's success isnt a given, we dont even know if he will go out for the draft at season's end but He is a guy that you CANT miss (like a Lebron James).

I highly disagree. There is no such thing as a "cant miss" anymore. Saying that about Oden with his current injury is silly. But then again, you were in favor of Thomas over Aldridge, so you probably see potential of a superstar individual instead of a possible NBA Championship.
Tony82087
I'm not THAT up on the NBA, but I think have a pretty good idea about it, and I say you do that deal any day of the week.
TeaLeafReaderII
I hate to rain on anyones parade, but their GM just came out and said he absolutely was not going to trade Gasol this season...
SoxFan1
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Dec 1 2006, 11:05 PM) *
I hate to rain on anyones parade, but their GM just came out and said he absolutely was not going to trade Gasol this season...

I read that too. It's still worthy of some discussion.
Chi-town23-33
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Dec 1 2006, 11:05 PM) *

OK, discussion over. At least we keep the pick. Oden, Durant, Wright, Thabeet, Noah, Jianlian. Just so many options.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 1 2006, 10:44 PM) *
I highly disagree. There is no such thing as a "cant miss" anymore. Saying that about Oden with his current injury is silly. But then again, you were in favor of Thomas over Aldridge, so you probably see potential of a superstar individual instead of a possible NBA Championship.

Ya there is.. I believe Lebron James was a cant miss guy.. Yao Ming.. Please dont take my comments out of context, there my own opinions so dont blow them out of proportion. Thanks wink.gif

O and BTW, Oden is set to make his College Debut today!
DutheDoduhon21
i say no way because we could get a great player with the knicks pick,and i think gasol is a little overrated
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 1 2006, 10:51 PM) *
I'm not THAT up on the NBA, but I think have a pretty good idea about it, and I say you do that deal any day of the week.

No question about it, Tony.

Gasol is a legitimate offensive star in this league who demands double teams whenever he gets his hands on the ball. We need points in the paint, and it ain't happening with the Ben Wallace/PJ Brown/Andres Nocioni mix.

Andres is capable of going off at times, but he ain't no offensive option in the paint. We need a horse down there.

PG: Duhon/Hinrich
SG: Hinrich/Sefolosha
SF: Deng/Nocioni/Khryapa
PF: Gasol/Nocioni/Thomas
C: Wallace/Gasol

You'd also free up a spiffload of minutes for Sefolosha and Thomas, and we'd also get to see a little bit more of Khryapa.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Dec 1 2006, 09:05 PM) *

From ESPN today...
You probably heard the vow earlier this week from Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley, after a flurry of Pau Gasol trade rumors, that there's "no damn way" Pau is headed elsewhere.

Something else interesting out of Memphis that you probably haven't heard: Grizz president Jerry West, before Heisley's proclamation, apparently addressed Memphis' players to tell them that the recent speculation about coach Mike Fratello's imminent dismissal was unfounded and should be ignored.

Yet you better stay tuned away. If the proposed sale of the team goes through, which would empower former Dukie Brian Davis to make the authoritative statements, everything changes and anything is possible.
Chisoxfn
Gasol would be a fantastic pickup. He's a legit low post player and one of the better all around big's in this league. Put him next to Big Ben and I'd be 100% happy. That trade is pretty darn fair as well as we aren't giving up someone like Deng. Plus I don't expect the Knicks to be so awful that we will get a top 3 or 4 pick (although I still expect top 10).

Better yet Pasol is gonna be in his prime for a bit longer so it makes a lot of sense to me (assuming we don't expect him to have any lingering effects from his injury...ie his injury being one that is nagging and will bother and hamper him the rest of his career).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.