Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ben Wallace's Rebounding
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chisoxfn
I know a lot of people have talked about how Wallace has not been rebounding as well as he did in Detroit and have overall been dissapointed with his play. Obviously as of late Wallace's play has picked up a bit but his rebounding, more specifically his defensive rebounding, has been down all season (and continues to be so).

I think I have came up with one possible explanation. Obviously Wallace has had to mesh with new teammates and that adjustment has taken some time, but you also have to factor in that the team he plays on happens to be one of the better rebounding teams in the league. We have forwards like Nocioni and Deng that both do a very good job on the boards as well as a PG like Hinrich who crashes the boards.

Wallace has basically seen his defensive board numbers suffer while at the same time he's done an outstanding job grabbing offensive boards and giving the squad second chance points. Defensively he's forced numerous deflections and he's starting to get comfortable with the rest of the Bulls players so he realizes where they are when it comes to defensive rotations.
Balta1701-B
While it is still early in the season so these numbers probably haven't settled yet, I think that thus far, the statistics may actually back up your argument.

In 2005-2006, the Bulls averaged 11 offensive boards per game, while in 2006-2007, they're up to 12.5 offensive boards per game (leading the league in that category by the way).

The Bulls overall rebounding is slightly down from last year, but that is entirely on the defensive boards, and may well be a function of the Bulls (for now) giving up a higher percentage of shooting than last year, leading to more rebounding chances last year than this.

Hopefully those trends continue to improve with time, but it at least looks positive to start.
ChitownMan
It definitely seems that something is bothering Ben a little bit. I agree with the fact that it is probably that Ben is still getting used to the system that Skiles runs and for Ben to know the rotations. It is nice to see that the Bulls have put together a nice little win streak and as the season continues the team will definitely gel a bit more. When it comes money time, I would expect that the Bulls will be right were we all have anticipateted they would be and Wallace leading the way against the boards. bullssmilie1.jpg
RME JICO
I am not worried yet, it is still to early in the season to make any judgements, but if there is not a noticeable improvement by January, I will start to worry.

My biggest concern is with his conditioning, it looks like he is a lot slower this year to the ball. Where is the energy and fire he played with in Detroit? Is it in the headband?
Chisoxfn
Ben brings the fro back and we'll see him blocking shots with that hair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.