Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ESPN Trade Machine: Garnett to Bulls...
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Steve9347
I just did this for fun, to illustrate what it would take salaries-wise to get KG here.

Obviously, we'd also be adding a draft pick.

the expiring contracts of brown and sweetney makes them attractive... then you end up with Gordon and Tyrus.

I dont see how the T-Wolves could say no, and as much as I'd hate to lose those 2, KG would be coming in.
madisonsmadhouse
I don't think that would be enough to get Garnett unless he asked to leave. I would have to imagine that someone out there could offer some star power to get KG, whereas the Bulls couldn't. Really if we were going to make a deal like that, Ben Wallace would have to be the cornerstone, as we wouldn't need him anymore, and we wouldn't want to carry that $15 million salary either.
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11 2006, 12:50 PM) *
I don't think that would be enough to get Garnett unless he asked to leave. I would have to imagine that someone out there could offer some star power to get KG, whereas the Bulls couldn't. Really if we were going to make a deal like that, Ben Wallace would have to be the cornerstone, as we wouldn't need him anymore, and we wouldn't want to carry that $15 million salary either.

TWolves would never take on BigBen and his salary... any trade they make is to blow up the team and get young.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
That trade is stupid for us. Number 1 we are giving up almost half our team for a player that is almost past his prime. Remember KG has played 11 seasons and his knees are in bad shape. Besides, why would Minnesota want 3 power forwards?
WHarris1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Dec 11 2006, 03:53 PM) *
That trade is stupid for us. Number 1 we are giving up almost half our team for a player that is almost past his prime. Remember KG has played 11 seasons and his knees are in bad shape. Besides, why would Minnesota want 3 power forwards?

You see KG when he came to the UC? Looked fine to me.

Plus that is hardly half our team. PJ Brown is irrelevant, Sweetney is fat, Tyrus is all potential, and we can afford to lose Gordon if we get a big time low post threat like KG.

You say that is too much but the Wolves would undoubtedly say that is too little.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Dec 11 2006, 03:53 PM) *

You've said at least 3 times that his knees are in bad shape, and I have yet to see anything that backs that up. I don't know of too many guys putting up 20 and 10 with bad knees (actually closer to 22 and 12 for KG)...

He does have a lot of mileage on him, but he's probably got 2 good years left after this one, and he'd make us one of the favorites to win it all if not THE favorite.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Dec 11 2006, 04:13 PM) *
You see KG when he came to the UC? Looked fine to me.

Plus that is hardly half our team. PJ Brown is irrelevant, Sweetney is fat, Tyrus is all potential, and we can afford to lose Gordon if we get a big time low post threat like KG.

You say that is too much but the Wolves would undoubtedly say that is too little.

We'd almost certainly have to throw in at least a first rounder, and realistically they could hold out for Deng instead of the pick or Gordon and that wouldn't be that unreasonable for a player of KG's caliber (I'm not saying I'd do that, I'm just pointing out the T-Wolves side of things).
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 11 2006, 10:50 AM) *

AI will be headed toe the Wolves if all goes well for them. They actually seem to be a decent team with a bright future so I don't see KG getting moved. However, if they were to move him I can't see another team in the league making a better offer.
CubbiesFan07
why put tyrus in there?
Steve9347
QUOTE (CubbiesFan07 @ Dec 11 2006, 07:16 PM) *
why put tyrus in there?

because the T-Wolves wouldn't do the deal without him in there.

As for the AI heading to T-Wolves bright future thing... that team is stuck in mediocrity, and AI going there would not put them over the hump.

Plus, i highly doubt he ends up there, right now the big, hot rumor is Golden State.
CubbiesFan07
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Dec 12 2006, 08:05 AM) *
because the T-Wolves wouldn't do the deal without him in there.

As for the AI heading to T-Wolves bright future thing... that team is stuck in mediocrity, and AI going there would not put them over the hump.

Plus, i highly doubt he ends up there, right now the big, hot rumor is Golden State.

okay but the bulls wouldnt put tyrus in there... kg has what, maybe 3-4 years left him in? tyrus has 12? and tyrus will be a beast.. nuff said
Steve9347
QUOTE (CubbiesFan07 @ Dec 12 2006, 01:36 PM) *
okay but the bulls wouldnt put tyrus in there... kg has what, maybe 3-4 years left him in? tyrus has 12? and tyrus will be a beast.. nuff said

trust me. if the T-Wolves would ever let go of KG, the bulls would do this deal in a HEARTBEAT.

this deal = championship.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 11 2006, 04:19 PM) *
You've said at least 3 times that his knees are in bad shape, and I have yet to see anything that backs that up. I don't know of too many guys putting up 20 and 10 with bad knees (actually closer to 22 and 12 for KG)...

He does have a lot of mileage on him, but he's probably got 2 good years left after this one, and he'd make us one of the favorites to win it all if not THE favorite.
We'd almost certainly have to throw in at least a first rounder, and realistically they could hold out for Deng instead of the pick or Gordon and that wouldn't be that unreasonable for a player of KG's caliber (I'm not saying I'd do that, I'm just pointing out the T-Wolves side of things).

When you play 11 seasons since you were 18 years old your going to slow down faster than normal. What makes you think we can get Luol Deng and Nocioni resign if we take on KG's contract? I dont see a KG deal anytime soon in Chicago, nor would I wish it.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Dec 12 2006, 02:28 PM) *
When you play 11 seasons since you were 18 years old your going to slow down faster than normal. What makes you think we can get Luol Deng and Nocioni resign if we take on KG's contract? I dont see a KG deal anytime soon in Chicago, nor would I wish it.

You know the remarkable thing? We really don't have a good idea yet of how coming out and playing a full 882 game NBA season starting when you're 18 will affect these guys when they start hitting their early 30's, because we haven't seen many of the guys who came out so early hitting hteir 30's yet. So for all we know, KG could wind up getting old at the same time as guys who didn't come out, he could fall apart before the end of this year, or he could last even longer, we really don't know how his body is going to react to what it's been put through.
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Dec 12 2006, 04:28 PM) *

because reinsdorf is a really cool owner and is willing to reward players for winning championships. Just ask paul konerko.
DrunkBomber
The things teams request for players that are over 30 and have seen their best years makes me scratch my head. To give up Tyrus, Gordon, Brown and Sweetney and then more then likely a draft pick, is IMO way too much. They can have both the older guys, one young guy and a drat pick but to give up that much is inasne for a guy with only a couple years left.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Dec 12 2006, 04:28 PM) *

Okay, so basically you're saying there is no reason to buy that at this point.

At this point there's no real reason to believe that playing pro ball straight out of high school instead of going to college drastically changes your durability or longevity. It's possible that is the case, but it's also possible that it doesn't really make a difference. In fact, Moses Malone came right out of high school, played 2 years in the ABA, and played 14 more years in the NBA at a very high level and was still effective for another two after that. Heck, Shawn Kemp had 11 decent years in the league too, and he could have had more if he hadn't gotten fat in the lockout year. Early results would suggest that it doesn't really matter. Will the next set of guys be any different? I would assume it will vary.

You can't really say with any certainty when he is going to break down, some guys do it a lot sooner than others. For instance, guys like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone lasted for quite a long time while guys like Anfernee Hardaway and Antonio McDyess broke down a lot sooner. Eventually everyone does, but when is not all that certain. The point is that there are PLENTY of guys that put in an awful lot of years even after going to college. For all we know Garnett could play another 5 years, or he could tear up a knee tomorrow. Until he actually starts showing signs of wear and tear, I'd hold on on saying that "he has bad knees." That's just inaccurate.

See, the beautiful thing about the NBA is that there is no salary cap, so we could easily still sign Luol and Nocioni. Reinsdorf has done it before, Michael alone was making more than most teams his last few years. Garnett's contract also expires after 08-09, so it would really only be an issue for one year of Deng and Noc's contracts.

I would love to see Garnett on the Bulls, that would instantly make us a bigger threat to win it all. My only concern would be that the pick would turn into Oden or Durant. Dealing one of those guys as well would be unacceptable.
Steve9347
The argument that KG must break down because he's been in the league for 11 years is a bit off. All of these players, whether they go to college or not, played basketball everyday. If anything, KG could last longer because he's had nothing but the best care/science to keep him healthy and in great shape since he joined the league.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 12 2006, 08:31 PM) *

At this point there's no real reason to believe that playing pro ball straight out of high school instead of going to college drastically changes your durability or longevity. It's possible that is the case, but it's also possible that it doesn't really make a difference. In fact, Moses Malone came right out of high school, played 2 years in the ABA, and played 14 more years in the NBA at a very high level and was still effective for another two after that. Heck, Shawn Kemp had 11 decent years in the league too, and he could have had more if he hadn't gotten fat in the lockout year. Early results would suggest that it doesn't really matter. Will the next set of guys be any different? I would assume it will vary.

You can't really say with any certainty when he is going to break down, some guys do it a lot sooner than others. For instance, guys like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Karl Malone lasted for quite a long time while guys like Anfernee Hardaway and Antonio McDyess broke down a lot sooner. Eventually everyone does, but when is not all that certain. The point is that there are PLENTY of guys that put in an awful lot of years even after going to college. For all we know Garnett could play another 5 years, or he could tear up a knee tomorrow. Until he actually starts showing signs of wear and tear, I'd hold on on saying that "he has bad knees." That's just inaccurate.

See, the beautiful thing about the NBA is that there is no salary cap, so we could easily still sign Luol and Nocioni. Reinsdorf has done it before, Michael alone was making more than most teams his last few years. Garnett's contract also expires after 08-09, so it would really only be an issue for one year of Deng and Noc's contracts.

I would love to see Garnett on the Bulls, that would instantly make us a bigger threat to win it all. My only concern would be that the pick would turn into Oden or Durant. Dealing one of those guys as well would be unacceptable.

I would rather have a chance on getting Oden or Durant rather than throw everyone at KG. Just my honest opinion..
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Dec 13 2006, 03:51 PM) *
I would rather have a chance on getting Oden or Durant rather than throw everyone at KG. Just my honest opinion..

Well, it depends on how much the Knicks suck. There's a big difference between having a "chance" to get a great young player and guaranteeing yourself a great older player that gives you a great shot at winning a title. At best we'll have like a 40% chance of getting those two, and the way things are going I don't think the Knicks will be quite that bad.

Sure, I'd rather have Oden or Durant, but if we get screwed and the Knicks end up picking 6th or 7th it's another story. I'd much rather have one of those two than someone like Josh McRoberts or Darrell Arthur. Even Noah and Horford don't thrill me that much (though I wouldn't mind the latter), and guys like the two Wrights and Budinger aren't the greatest fits for us. I'd be much more willing to give up one of those types for Garnett, though it's a giant crap-shoot until the lottery.

It's also far from throwing "everyone" at KG, in the proposed deal since we'd be trading zero starters. We'd be dealing our 6th man (who could potentially start), a guy that's potentially great but isn't much help right now, two bench players, and a pick. Unless that pick turns out to be Oden or Durant, it's most likely worth it for Garnett and probably 3 solid shots at a title...
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Dec 12 2006, 06:31 PM) *

My theory is with Garnett we have everything we need to win a championship and I assume for at least the next 3 years (barring no major injuries or moves) we would be in position to win a championship during that span. To me that makes things worthwhile, plus no one is going to tell me that even when Garnett finally fades off into crapitude that our team would not be competitive (since we'd still have Hinrich/Deng/Noc).

That said I think we only give up one of Tyrus or the draft pick if at all possible (or just give up a future 1st, not this year's). However, in the end its all about winning championships and Garnett makes us as good of a team as any. Of course he isn't about to go anywhere with the Wolves actually playing well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.