Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Could the Bulls Players Work in the Suns Scheme?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chisoxfn
Could the Bulls Players Work in the Suns Scheme?
By JP Paxson
TalkBulls.com

What is a formula for winning a basketball game? Well for one you must score more points then the other team, but that’s something everybody knows. Let’s take a scroll down the formula of the Phoenix Suns, which is a scheme I would like to see the bulls use.

If you would have told me this team would win the amount of games they've had so far without Amare, you would be lying. But let’s look at the reason for success, shall we?

Their play is a fast, yet controlled style of offense. Like all offenses a play begins with a point guard. The Suns are the smallest team in the league but make up for it with there speed and quickness.

They have a 6-8 power forward in Boris Diaw. So how can he play that spot? The Suns offense is based on beating the opposing team and running transitions and scoring easy baskets, such as quick jumpers. The Suns average the most 3-pt shots per game in the league, including the Bulls. They also shoot the most all around FG's per game to, due to their scheme.

Now On the Defensive Side of the Ball the Suns are known for a so called "Lackluster Approach." There is some logic to this madness, and the point of it is to play your man off enough so that you won’t give them second chance points by not boxing out your man. I’ve been watching a lot of their games and have noticed, they are playing man but they all have their own spots to play. They May Give up a lot of shots but by playing off of your man somewhat you are able to get the rebound and "Run."

These are just some things I think the Bulls should do, and with their lack of size, I think this would fit pretty well for them. And although there is no "Steve Nash" or "Shawn Marrion" on the Bulls, just the aspect of the scheme is intriguing enough.

The Bulls will have an early pick in this year’s draft. The one they choose will pretty much decide on what their scheme will be like for the future. If we could just get that one guy or All-Star Caliber Player, we should be a tough team for next year.
ZoomSlowik
My thoughts on this...

1) It's kind of hard to implement a complete system change in the middle of a rebuilding process, especially when none of your managers or coaches have any experience in the system.

2) Some of our guys fit into that system better than others. Hinrich, Duhon, Gordon, Deng, and Chandler work fairly well, although Duhon isn't really a good enough scorer and Deng isn't a good enough outside shooter. However, Nocioni probably wouldn't be quite as effective, and Sweetney might have a heart attack playing at that pace.

We'd need to add at least one wing player and another athletic combo forward type that could rebound, and we'd probably still need to add a somewhat competent big man. You'd need to be at least 8 deep with guys that fit the scheme. We'd also probably need to add another solid 3 point shooter. Gordon is our only elite option and Hinrich and Nocioni are our only other decent outside shooters. It'd also help a lot of one of the additions was a big time scorer (at least an average in the high teens).

The only FA that I can think of that would be a good fit if we tried this is Al Harrington. He could sort of play the Shawn Marion role, although Marion is much tougher and an better rebounder. There are numerous fits in the draft, but we might have a tough time getting two of them.

3) I don't expect this approach to work in the playoffs this year. I don't give them much of a chance without Amare Stoudemire.

4) We already have enough problems rebounding with a more traditional lineup.

5) If we add one of the competent big men in the draft, size isn't as big an issue.
TeaLeafReaderII
I'm not sure this scheme really works without Nash....

and the Suns will never get past more "traditional" teams like the Spurs and Pistons in a 7 games series...

Hell... after seeing Elton Brand destroy them last night... I don't think they will beat the clips.
madisonsmadhouse
The Bulls as a team don't shoot well enough from deep to make this scheme work. Both Du and Kirk are spotting at best from distance, with their safe range going out to about 20 feet. Guys like Gordon, Pike, and Pargo would be cut out for it, but especially when it came to the big men, they would really suffer. In order for a team to be a good fastbreak team, the secondary break has to be up there with the primary, and that consists of the kickout off of the initial balldrive. Many times that involves the big men who are getting back late working to the wings and the top of the key for the open 18 plus footer, and we have only Songalia as a big man who has that kind of range.

The Bulls would fail miserably in the Suns system unless they totally overhauled their roster. Skiles knows this and that is why he runs the motion system offense he does where the big men don't handle the ball too far out on the floor. They will screen up high, but roll to the hoop for the dumppass or the board. When they do handle the ball it is at the freethrowline, and with their back to the basket, because they don't have the range or ballhandling skills to expose the ball to the defense. Skiles has the perfect system set up for these guys, nothing really needs to be changed there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.