Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Greg Oden Hyped more than Lebron was?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
The Gladiator
I would say yes because every single NBA team wants this man next year. Lebron was heavily pursued also but this kid they say could be better than Moses Malone, Olajuawan, and others. NBA Comparison is David Robinson wich is a pretty good one. He is most likely going to play his one year at Ohio State and Declare his name for the Draft come next year. Alls I have to say is, We can flop picks with the NY Knicks next year and if they suck again this will be the Best draft the Bulls have ever had since Michael Jordon.

What is your opinion.
The Gladiator
O.. I forgot, Heres his Profile and stuff...

Greg Oden

Greg Oden
Birthdate: 1/22/88
NBA Position: Center
College: Ohio State
Class: HS Senior
Ht: 7-0
Wt: 245
Hometown: Indianapolis, IN
High School: Lawrence North
Stats

NBA Comparison: David Robinson

Strenths: Incredibly fluid athlete for a 7 footer... Tremendous speed in the open court ... A center with his agility and talent comes along roughly every 10-15 years ... Extremely quick and explosive ... Enormous potential ... His game has improved significantly from his sophomore to junior seasons ... Starting to understand how to use his body and how dominant he can be ... Big defensive presence, and a terrific shot blocker with great length, timing and instincts ... Excellent rebounder ... Soft touch around the basket ... Has developed a decent turnaround hook with his right hand ... Very good passer with nice court vision (averaged 3.7 assists per game as a junior) ... Quality kid with a great attitude ... Very coachable, listens and wants to improve ... Team player with a winners mentality ... Improving on a daily basis ... Decent free throw shooter at 64% but needs to and should improve upon it (improved considerably from 51% as a sophomore) ...

Weaknesses: Soft spoken. Very humble personality, which is a positive and a negative in that some would like to see him develop more of a swagger of confidence, but Duncan and Robinson were/are both silent (humble) assassins ... Needs to add more nastiness on the floor to dominate ... Still raw in terms of post moves, they are developing, but still have a ways to go ... He is so dominant on the high school level he hasn't needed to develop any range or post skills ... Doesn't have the ability to create offense for himself as he can overwhelm anyone he faces with his size and athleticism ... Still scores mostly on ally oops and put backs ... Has nice touch, but needs to develop a consistent mid range shot (ala Robinson) ... Strength wont be an issue for him ultimately, but right now he needs to add muscle to his upper body and legs ... Almost too unselfish ...

Outlook: The top candidate for the number 1 pick in the 2007 draft, one year removed from high school ... A year of college should give him a great stepping stone for the NBA.

-Aran Smith 7/9/05
B-4-Bulls
Yes this guy is a beast. He played 8 min in the Highschool Mcdonalds All American game about a week and a half ago and had 4 points 5 blocks and 2 rebounds. Insane!!

the reason he played so little is he got a little nicked up so the coach sat him out the rest of the game. Just think if he did that in that short of time, think about what he could do the whole game? Especially against the Best Highschool players.
bulls91
QUOTE (B-4-Bulls @ Apr 8 2006, 06:26 PM)
Yes this guy is a beast. He played 8 min in the Highschool Mcdonalds All American game about a week and a half ago and had 4 points 5 blocks and 2 rebounds. Insane!!

the reason he played so little is he got a little nicked up so the coach sat him out the rest of the game. Just think if he did that in that short of time, think about what he could do the whole game? Especially against the Best Highschool players.

the best part is that he is olny in H.S. and he likly has one or two more inches to go. Just think him and Aldridge that is insane.
Balta1701-B
Anyone who thinks Oden is right now more hyped than Lebron was doesn't remember all the hype around Lebron. His mom buying him a pre-draft hummer, or that immediate gigantic shoe contract before he ever played a game, or ESPN televising their first high school games ever just to showcase him, etc. People were seriously talking about him as the next Jordan before he even was drafted.
Timoperezrulez
I think Oden had what 1 or 2 televised games, i remember Lebron had a lot more then that his senior year.
greasywheels121
Not even close. LeBron had much more hype going around him.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Apr 9 2006, 07:57 AM)
Not even close. LeBron had much more hype going around him.

I agree 100%. People have been talking about Oden, but nothing like Lebron. Remember James became the first HS hoopster to be on the cover of SI since Damon Bailey way back in the day.... And that was in Brons Jr year. The James hype was WAY worse.
Da Bulls 88
Nope. Not even close.
The Dude Abides
Oden is hyped, but it's not even close to LeBron...the were calling him "the chosen one" and annointing him king james before he graduated high school.

Imagine if the Knicks suck next year too...imagine if this year and next year they get the 1st pick in the draft...Imagine...Aldridge at PF and Oden at C!!!!! Please keep up the good work Isiah and Larry!!!
The Gladiator
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ Apr 9 2006, 10:03 AM)
Oden is hyped, but it's not even close to LeBron...the were calling him "the chosen one" and annointing him king james before he graduated high school.

Imagine if the Knicks suck next year too...imagine if this year and next year they get the 1st pick in the draft...Imagine...Aldridge at PF and Oden at C!!!!! Please keep up the good work Isiah and Larry!!!

LOL Ya....
bulls91
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Apr 9 2006, 11:35 AM)
LOL Ya....

would that be the best line up ever i know that the bulls have had. and also having tyson coming of the bench and some one else i am sure that it will change from now to then.
ChWRoCk2
No, lebron was supposed to be the next mj oden has never gotten any comparisons to that.
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 9 2006, 03:28 PM)
No, lebron was supposed to be the next mj oden has never gotten any comparisons to that.

Some are calling him the next david robinson...who is my favorite center of all time...next to Will Purdue and Bill wennington, of course!

If he is even close to David Robinson, he will be a very very special player. Plus, he already looks like he's 30!!!!
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Apr 8 2006, 04:13 PM)
I would say yes because every single NBA team wants this man next year. Lebron was heavily pursued also but this kid they say could be better than Moses Malone, Olajuawan, and others. NBA Comparison is David Robinson wich is a pretty good one. He is most likely going to play his one year at Ohio State and Declare his name for the Draft come next year. Alls I have to say is, We can flop picks with the NY Knicks next year and if they suck again this will be the Best draft the Bulls have ever had since Michael Jordon.

What is your opinion.

I have to go with a resounding no. For Lebron you had a ton of his games nationally televised on ESPN. I have not seen them do that with Oden.

However, I also have to say one thing. Lebron wasn't overhyped and neither is Oden. Both of these guys are total freaking studs. Lebron is one of the best players in the league and is in his 3rd season and will only get better. Oden would already be one of the better centers in this league (thats partly because he's that good and partly because of the lack of quality bigs in the NBA).
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ Apr 9 2006, 02:23 PM)
Some are calling him the next david robinson...who is my favorite center of all time...next to Will Purdue and Bill wennington, of course!

If he is even close to David Robinson, he will be a very very special player. Plus, he already looks like he's 30!!!!

Ya, but David Robinson is not Michael Jordan. Robinson was a very good to great center in his prime as was hakeem but they aren't in the class of being one of the greatest centers ever (they don't come close to Kareem, Wilt, etc).

Lebron was compared to the greatest guard to ever play the game and quite possibly the greatest player to play the game (MJ).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.