Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sam Smith on the draft
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
madisonsmadhouse
None of the college players coming out are projected as serious impact players right away. (I still think Sheldon Williams will be the exception though.) Do you think it would be worth it if the Bulls traded their draft picks and a player or two - as long as it's anyone not named Deng, Hinrich, Chandler, or Gordon - for Carlos Boozer and Corey Maggette or Jason Richardson? Would these players fit in with Scott Skiles and his coaching philosophy? --James, Houston

Thanks for cutting to the chase. I have no idea what they means, by the way, and anytime you read clichés in the newspaper, I suggest sending a letter and referring to the writer as an even bigger moron than the guy who may have said it. Ah, but I digress. I get loads of comment from people excited about the draft and the possibility of a No. 1 overall pick. But the truth is you are right. It doesn't look like, at least for big men, there's a big-time impact player. Maybe one of the smaller players, like Washington's Brandon Roy. But if the Bulls have a top five pick, I assume they'll go with size up front since that's their biggest need. Yes, they could go free agent with Nazr Mohammed or Joel Pryzbilla, and it's looking lately like Joakim Noah will stay in school (I'm not convinced unless he's not as smart as he pretends to be). I like Richardson and would take a shot at him. I'd give up both No. 1's without question. I know he's never made the playoffs, but he hasn't really been coached in the NBA. I think he'd be great with Skiles because he was yelled at plenty at Michigan State by Tom Izzo. You don't win with kids. It takes a long time to go anywhere. The Bulls need a veteran and a scorer, and I'd love to get a shot at Richardson. I think with some guidance and pushing he's on the verge of superstardom.
RememberThe90's
I like Jason Richardson. Heck we could have had him in 2001 but Krause decided to
go with the 2 High School losers.

Did I mention I really hate Jerry Krause!

mad.gif
ZoomSlowik
He's right, there aren't any instant impact players in this draft, and I think there are really only a couple of players that will play a major role as a rookie. Aldridge and Williams will be serviceable big men (something like 8-10 points, 7 boards, and a block), Morrison and Roy will probably be starting for some of these teams and do alright, Gay will play but not a ton, and Redick will be a useful shooter off the bench for someone. Everyone else is probably destined for a lot of bench time.

This isn't the 2003 draft by any stretch of the imagination.
ZoomSlowik
As for the trade, we just can't afford to do that. We need to either draft a big guy or acquire one using the picks. Unless the SG we acquire is Paul Pierce or better, it's not going to make that big a difference. Richardson can score, but he really takes more shots than he should, which pads his scoring stats a bit.
ChWRoCk2
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 12 2006, 02:10 PM)
As for the trade, we just can't afford to do that. We need to either draft a big guy or acquire one using the picks. Unless the SG we acquire is Paul Pierce or better, it's not going to make that big a difference. Richardson can score, but he really takes more shots than he should, which pads his scoring stats a bit.

I really like J rich but he just doesnt fit with this team, him and baron davis just havent clicked and golden state quickly fell apart after a good start this year, id rather have pierce of course also, just because an articles states this draft doesnt have any impact players doesnt mean anything
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 12 2006, 02:59 PM)
I really like J rich but he just doesnt fit with this team, him and baron davis just havent clicked and golden state quickly fell apart after a good start this year, id rather have pierce of course also, just because an articles states this draft doesnt have any impact players doesnt mean anything

Last year's draft was supposedly very weak at the top too...and the Hornets are pretty happy people thought that.
The Dude Abides
trade for Boozer? Are you serious? The guy can't play 1/4 of a season the last 2 years and is way over paid. I wouldn't give up anyone to take on his over rated game and huge contract.h
bulls91
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ Apr 12 2006, 06:42 PM)
trade for Boozer? Are you serious? The guy can't play 1/4 of a season the last 2 years and is way over paid. I wouldn't give up anyone to take on his over rated game and huge contract.h

yea i agree i would say either nene of al herrington and possibilty that jermaine could be in a uni next year not Boozer i have never been a big fan of him.
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 12 2006, 05:36 PM)
Last year's draft was supposedly very weak at the top too...and the Hornets are pretty happy people thought that.

One player doesn't make a draft.
bulls91
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 12 2006, 08:06 PM)
One player doesn't make a draft.

what do you mean one player does not make a draft if they are projected as a first round pick then they will likely go through out the draft .
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 12 2006, 05:36 PM)

That was an example of poor scouting. The average college basketball fan could tell you that Paul was pretty damned good, but aparently the Hawks and Jazz couldn't. Villanueva was decent this year also, but scoring was never the question with him. He's probably not going to be a good rebounder or defender in his career, which is why a lot of teams were leery.

Besides, a lot of people did say that Marvin Williams and Chris Paul were potential impact players last year.
The Gladiator
No way we draft another undersized big man in Sheldin Williams. Hes like 6'9 maybe 6'8 and a half. Hes strong but we need a TALL player. That would be Aldridge and Thomas. Thomas is definatley taller than 6'9 hes at least 6'10 minimum. If we have the 3rd pick and Tyrus isnt gone, thats the guys we take. I guess id still be happy if we chose Aldridge.

The Guys I absolutely do not want in the draft are...

Redick
Sheldin Williams
Morrison
Mardy Collins
Joakim Noah
any European
Any Slow White Kid

The Reason I say no Euros is because they just arent ready to play in the NBA from the get-go. It takes forever for them to develop, usually. Most dont. The Bulls need someone that can at least make an impact from the beginning.

The Reason for No White guys is, well im white but lets get real, we need ATHLETES and I certainly dont see any White Athletes in this years draft.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Apr 12 2006, 10:32 PM)
No way we draft another undersized big man in Sheldin Williams. Hes like 6'9 maybe 6'8 and a half. Hes strong but we need a TALL player. That would be Aldridge and Thomas. Thomas is definatley taller than 6'9 hes at least 6'10 minimum. If we have the 3rd pick and Tyrus isnt gone, thats the guys we take. I guess id still be happy if we chose Aldridge.

The Guys I absolutely do not want in the draft are...

Redick
Sheldin Williams
Morrison
Mardy Collins
Joakim Noah
any European
Any Slow White Kid

The Reason I say no Euros is because they just arent ready to play in the NBA from the get-go. It takes forever for them to develop, usually. Most dont. The Bulls need someone that can at least make an impact from the beginning.

The Reason for No White guys is, well im white but lets get real, we need ATHLETES and I certainly dont see any White Athletes in this years draft.

I agree with a lot of what you said. I have a similar list of guys I don't want, and we do need a longer player.

Thomas really is about the same height as Williams though, and he's a lot thinner. However, he's longer, and is a lot more athletic. Noah also is actually a fairly good for us. He's a legit 6'10" or 6'11", is also fairly athletic, and is very long.

It's starting to sound like we're going to take Thomas if he's there. Apparently Pax really like him according to some articles on ESPN Insider. I won't be upset if we take Thomas, but I think Aldridge is a better fit for what we need. We have virtually no post scoring, and he's our best chance to improve that. He's also more likely to be a factor early in his career. Thomas has a lot of potential, but he's basically a 6'9" Tyson Chandler clone right now, with a slightly better jumper.
SleepyWhiteSox
I'm not on the tyrus bandwagon at all...
bulls91
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 13 2006, 11:47 AM)
I'm not on the tyrus bandwagon at all...

i am not either i think that once he gets to the nba he will have bruises all over because he is so thin and is like chandler and we do not need that.

Also for The Gladiator me and you agree on alot of stuff but what do you say about noch he is a european and he might be and All- Star some day and look what we did and got him.
ZoomSlowik
Bargnani is starting to get a lot of buzz. Apparently a lot of scouts are impressed with him and think he can be a decent player right away. Unless he suddenly added about 15 pounds he's probably too much of a tweener for our purposes though. Someone like the Blazers or Hawks could use him though.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.