Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Al Harrington likes the Bulls?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Pages: 1, 2
beck72
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bullnt131.html

Harrington would provide the Bulls with a quality low post player who can score in a half court game. Everyone knows the Bulls lack a scoring threat from the post. The best way to address this is via free agency [or trade though there are too many hypotheticals to consider]. Nocioni has been able to do well from the PF spot, both offensively and defensively. But having Noc split time with Deng at the SF and PF w/ Harrington would be a nice rotation, blending offense and defense. Keep Tyson at C and sign Antonio Davis for backup.

I know people expect the Bulls to draft Aldridge or Thomas. But neither will help the Bulls in 2007, esp. with the scoring down low. Say one or both are gone by the time the Bulls pick--who then? Right now, the pick would most likley be 3rd, with Port. and Char. w/ worse records.

If the Bulls sign Harrington, they could draft Brandon Roy with the Knicks pick. Roy would be fantastic with Gordon and Hinrich as the 3rd guard. Roy can create his own shot and pass off the dribble--to Gordon waiting at the 3pt line. He's one of the few lottery picks who could help right away and be a long time contributor in the league. Boston would sweep him up at #7.

With their own pick [right now the 12th] the bulls could grab a big man with potential but can help on defense right away--like Tiago Splitter or Saer Sene. Seeing how both Thomas and Aldridge may not even be there--or are locks to be all stars in the NBA, they should grab a sure thing like Roy. And then use the lower pick for a big guy with defensive ability and could reap big rewards in a few yrs.

Yet it all starts w/ getting a scoring threat for the post. With Harrington interested, and friends with Antonio Davis,
madisonsmadhouse
Harrington would be an excellent add for the Bulls and would provide the low post game to even out their offense. It would also open up Tyson a little more with the double teams that a guy like Harrington would allow.
The Gladiator
Wow, great Article. Now alls the Bulls have to do is offer him a contract and it looks like hed sign it. I cant believe he described how he'd fit into OUR system. You know he wants to be a Bull then. But The Guy I really want this Offseason is Radmonovic. A SF/SG that is lights out shooting from threes. Would be a great Backup SG for whoever that is wether it be Ben Gordon or whomever.
madisonsmadhouse
Radmanivic would be a perfect big man for the Bulls offensive system. The high screen the Bulls big men set at the top of the key, and then at the free throwlines is almost a complete waste because the Bulls lack big men who can shoot from 15 plus feet out with Songalia hurt. Radmanovic would mean that the big man couldn't jump that screen and double the guard handling the ball, because then Rad could just turn and fire the wide open jumper. Right now the Bulls don't have that threat.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13 2006, 07:44 AM)
Radmanivic would be a perfect big man for the Bulls offensive system. The high screen the Bulls big men set at the top of the key, and then at the free throwlines is almost a complete waste because the Bulls lack big men who can shoot from 15 plus feet out with Songalia hurt. Radmanovic would mean that the big man couldn't jump that screen and double the guard handling the ball, because then Rad could just turn and fire the wide open jumper. Right now the Bulls don't have that threat.

At least for now, Vlad seems to suggest that he likes it on the Clippers and wants to stay there. (who woulda thunk that?)
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 13 2006, 09:51 AM)
At least for now, Vlad seems to suggest that he likes it on the Clippers and wants to stay there. (who woulda thunk that?)

Too bad. He would be an excellent signing for the Bulls system under Skiles. I wonder if the Bulls even plan on pursuing him at all. They could at least offer a starting job, while the Clips couldn't do so.
The Gladiator
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13 2006, 10:47 AM)
Too bad. He would be an excellent signing for the Bulls system under Skiles. I wonder if the Bulls even plan on pursuing him at all. They could at least offer a starting job, while the Clips couldn't do so.

Ya, I hope they go after him, hes my number 2 FA signing for this offseason and he could play the SG even on ocassions.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Apr 13 2006, 10:51 AM)
Ya, I hope they go after him, hes my number 2 FA signing for this offseason and he could play the SG even on ocassions.

I thought Rad was a 4? Am I wrong? If so nevermind, we don't need another small forward, and the money could be spent much better somewhere else.
ZoomSlowik
Harrington isn't really a PF or a post scorer. He's a SF that plays out of position in Atlanta. He's not a good post defender, he's only averaging about 7 boards a game, and he doesn't block shots. He might weigh 245 pounds, but he doesn't play like it. He's a lot like Loul Deng, who's already on our roster and is a lot cheaper.
The Gladiator
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13 2006, 10:58 AM)
I thought Rad was a 4? Am I wrong? If so nevermind, we don't need another small forward, and the money could be spent much better somewhere else.

Ya he is a 4. But has also played the 2 and 3 Throughout his career.
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13 2006, 11:23 AM)
Harrington isn't really a PF or a post scorer. He's a SF that plays out of position in Atlanta. He's not a good post defender, he's only averaging about 7 boards a game, and he doesn't block shots. He might weigh 245 pounds, but he doesn't play like it. He's a lot like Loul Deng, who's already on our roster and is a lot cheaper.

We could really, really use 19 and 7 from a big man, athough I'll agree he's not primarily a post player. If we can get him for a reasonable price, I'm all for it. He's got talent, and what he's said about wanting to be with the Bulls is impressive. Just no huge money...
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 13 2006, 11:45 AM)
We could really, really use 19 and 7 from a big man, athough I'll agree he's not primarily a post player.  If we can get him for a reasonable price, I'm all for it.  He's got talent, and what he's said about wanting to be with the Bulls is impressive.  Just no huge money...

There are two problems with that...

First, it's probably not going to be reasonable money. I'd imagine that he gets a rather sizeable contract because he does have decent numbers in Atlanta and he's one of few FA's that can actually play.

Second, he's probably not going to be averaging quite as many points for us because we have more scoring options. I'd imagine he'll be scoring 17 a game tops for us, probably even less than that.

He's a decent player, and I'd normally like to have him. But he's basically another SF and he's probably going to cost us at least $10 mil a year. If his price is somehow reasonable and we don't have to do a sign and trade, then I suppose signing him can't hurt.
bulls91
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 13 2006, 04:35 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/output/bulls/cst-spt-bullnt131.html

Harrington would provide the Bulls with a quality low post player who can score in a half court game. Everyone knows the Bulls lack a scoring threat from the post. The best way to address this is via free agency [or trade though there are too many hypotheticals to consider]. Nocioni has been able to do well from the PF spot, both offensively and defensively. But having Noc split time with Deng at the SF and PF w/ Harrington would be a nice rotation, blending offense and defense. Keep Tyson at C and sign Antonio Davis for backup.

I know people expect the Bulls to draft Aldridge or Thomas. But neither will help the Bulls in 2007, esp. with the scoring down low. Say one or both are gone by the time the Bulls pick--who then? Right now, the pick would most likley be 3rd, with Port. and Char. w/ worse records.

If the Bulls sign Harrington, they could draft Brandon Roy with the Knicks pick. Roy would be fantastic with Gordon and Hinrich as the 3rd guard. Roy can create his own shot and pass off the dribble--to Gordon waiting at the 3pt line. He's one of the few lottery picks who could help right away and be a long time contributor in the league. Boston would sweep him up at #7.

With their own pick [right now the 12th] the bulls could grab a big man with potential but can help on defense right away--like Tiago Splitter or Saer Sene. Seeing how both Thomas and Aldridge may not even be there--or are locks to be all stars in the NBA, they should grab a sure thing like Roy. And then use the lower pick for a big guy with defensive ability and could reap big rewards in a few yrs.

Yet it all starts w/ getting a scoring threat for the post. With Harrington interested, and friends with Antonio Davis,

first of all AD is going to retire after the season is over. second that is a great idea that we get ROY with our first pick and then get some one like splitter (who is not likely to go in the draft) if not then get a good low post player in the draft like O'Bryant or someone like that. i would also love to get herrington sence he is so in to the bulls and is a FA (is he a restricted or an unrestricted free- agent.) also to help with out situation in the center position sign Joel Przybilla for help at center if tyson gets in foul trouble from what this article says he want to go to another team http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/397...lla_might_bolt/. then this would be a great team for next year.

if my idea is not what you have in mind tell us yours it is your opinion tear it apart. biggrin.gif bringit.gif
bulls91

he is 6'9 244lbs and he seems to idolize skiles so i am sure tha he can teach herrington a few moves sence he can right from highschool and had no collage expierance. and we have some money to spend because of paxson and his smartness so we can waste a few million on him and we will still be doing just fine.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Apr 13 2006, 11:57 AM)
he is 6'9 244lbs and he seems to idolize skiles so i am sure tha he can teach herrington a few moves sence he can right from highschool and had no collage expierance. and we have some money to spend because of paxson and his smartness so we can waste a few million on him and we will still be doing just fine.

He's been in the NBA for 8 years now. I doubt he's suddenly going to become a PF if he hasn't already.
bulls91
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13 2006, 12:06 PM)
He's been in the NBA for 8 years now. I doubt he's suddenly going to become a PF if he hasn't already.

he could we will just have to wait and see.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Apr 13 2006, 11:57 AM)

I still think we have to take Aldridge or Thomas even if we do sign Harrington. With only a few exceptions, you need at least one solid big man to win a title. We have none right now, and only Chandler really has any hope. That would give us a chance to let whomever we draft grow into the role a little more. Those two have a lot more potential than any other big guy in the draft, which is why they're going to be picked a lot earlier. Roy would also be a good fit in that situation, but it's generally easier to find a defensive minded SG than a capable big man in trade or on the FA market. If those two are gone, then I'd go that route and hope we can get Oden next year.
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13 2006, 11:51 AM)
Second, he's probably not going to be averaging quite as many points for us because we have more scoring options. I'd imagine he'll be scoring 17 a game tops for us, probably even less than that.

The Hawks have some talent, particularly on offense. They've got more guys averaging in double figures than the Bulls and a legitimate 20 ppg scorer in Joe Johnson, something the Bulls don't have.

What exactly are the Bulls' scoring options? Ben is streaky, Kirk has been forced into shooting more which he needs to cut down on, and Deng is still developing. Scoring isn't a strong point.

It's tough to say whether Al would score more or less in Chicago, but I could see him doing it.
ChWRoCk2
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13 2006, 12:11 PM)
I still think we have to take Aldridge or Thomas even if we do sign Harrington. With only a few exceptions, you need at least one solid big man to win a title. We have none right now, and only Chandler really has any hope. That would give us a chance to let whomever we draft grow into the role a little more. Those two have a lot more potential than any other big guy in the draft, which is why they're going to be picked a lot earlier. Roy would also be a good fit in that situation, but it's generally easier to find a defensive minded SG than a capable big man in trade or on the FA market. If those two are gone, then I'd go that route and hope we can get Oden next year.

I agree

Though I tend to think Oden strikes me as the next eddy curry but his size is what is enticing.

As for Harrington, I see it happening not like that is saying much, if he wants to play here then give him the chance, I just dont see where we would fit him in our lineup, hes not the tallest player in the world to be a PF but i guess we will see.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 13 2006, 12:38 PM)
The Hawks have some talent, particularly on offense. They've got more guys averaging in double figures than the Bulls and a legitimate 20 ppg scorer in Joe Johnson, something the Bulls don't have.

What exactly are the Bulls' scoring options? Ben is streaky, Kirk has been forced into shooting more which he needs to cut down on, and Deng is still developing. Scoring isn't a strong point.

It's tough to say whether Al would score more or less in Chicago, but I could see him doing it.

The Hawks have only two players that take more than 10 shots a game and both Johnson and Harrington are well over that. No one on the Bulls takes more than 14.4, and the Bulls have 4 guys averaging over 10 without adding Harrington. Their role players take a lot of FT's, which boosts their scoring averages a bit.

The Bulls don't have elite scoring options, but they have four decent ones, not including our draft picks. No one on our team is really taking a lot more than they should (Hinrich and Gordon are only slightly high IMO), so unless Harrington is going to hog the ball he's probably not going to get more than about 14 shots per game, which is about two under his average for this year. This is especially true if Deng keeps developing as an offensive option.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 13 2006, 01:03 PM)
I agree

Though I tend to think Oden strikes me as the next eddy curry but his size is what is enticing.

Oden is nothing like Curry. Curry is/was an overweight slob with no work ethic that couldn't rebound or play defense. Oden is 3 inches taller, works hard, is already good enough defensively to be a major factor on the NBA level, and is not a selfish player that takes a ton of shots. There's a reason that a lot of people are calling him the best high school center since Lew Alcindor.
JPargo
Harrington would be a great Player for the team. But what we need is a Center. That is our biggest need. We dont need another PF on the roster. I think we should pick up Nene, Gooden or Nazr. But i wouldnt mind Al on the team
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 13 2006, 07:51 AM)

He's been a good fit, but I wonder if he'll really stick around. Brand and Kaman are going to be the starters for a long time there. He does get some minutes at SF.

I actually am intrigued with the idea of picking up a Maggette. Given his injury history I wonder if the Bulls would be able to get him without giving up much in terms of talent (rather we'd just add salary).
beck72

IIRC, Harrington scores most of his points in the low post by posting up, not off the dribble like a SF.

I do think the Bulls need more rebounding and guy to own the paint. But few PF's out there can do that-via the draft or trade. Maybe the FA Center from Portland [?] can do that. Chandler was able to provide that last yr, though he seems to have lead shoes this season.
beck72
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 13 2006, 08:10 AM)
Harrington would be an excellent add for the Bulls and would provide the low post game to even out their offense. It would also open up Tyson a little more with the double teams that a guy like Harrington would allow.

Right now, the Bulls throw it down low and everyone knows it's coming back out--no one can take a shot in the post. Few of the rookies mentioned [Thomas, Aldridge] would be able to do that either.
beck72
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13 2006, 12:11 PM)
I still think we have to take Aldridge or Thomas even if we do sign Harrington. With only a few exceptions, you need at least one solid big man to win a title. We have none right now, and only Chandler really has any hope. That would give us a chance to let whomever we draft grow into the role a little more. Those two have a lot more potential than any other big guy in the draft, which is why they're going to be picked a lot earlier.

Both of them scare me. I have visions of Aldridge of being another Brad Sellers and Thomas averaging 2 pts and 7 rebounds a game.

I think the Bulls can still get a very good C or PF with their 2nd pick. Guys with potential like Splitter, Saer Sene, could be around. Roy strikes me as a Wade type guy who will grow into an All Star. He makes all the guys around him better, esp on offense. He's quick as a PG and can post up, pass, drive the lane, shoot from outside. And play solid defense. A three guard rotation of Kirk, Roy and Ben would be hard to beat.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 13 2006, 04:40 PM)
IIRC, Harrington scores most of his points in the low post by posting up, not off the dribble like a SF.

I do think the Bulls need more rebounding and guy to own the paint. But few PF's out there can do that-via the draft or trade. Maybe the FA Center from Portland [?] can do that. Chandler was able to provide that last yr, though he seems to have lead shoes this season.

What's up, Beck? biggrin.gif

Harrington is an SF through and through. If you put him in the PF slot, he's a major defensive liability. He is simply not a banger. He is a mid-range player. If your scouting report says that he's cut out for the PF slot, consider who he has to go up against night in and night out, and then stick that report in the paper shredder.

Tyson Chandler is leading the NBA in Rebounds-Per-Minute and Offensive-Rebounds-Per-Minute since since January 21st. It's been what, like 11 weeks already? If he has lead in his shoes, then he's even better than I think.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 13 2006, 04:40 PM)
Maybe the FA Center from Portland [?] can do that.

Oh yeah, and if we want to be mediocre for the next few years, then by all means, sign Vanilla Gorilla. biggrin.gif

This free agent class freaking blows. You don't sign Harrington with Deng and Nocioni in the picture. You don't sign Vanilla Gorilla, as he's a spiffy offensive player and we need points in the paint.

If Paxson signs any of these guys, I'm gonna have to start sending him hate mail.
hammerhead johnson
Radmanovic is a bench player who wants like 8 or 9 million per year, correct? I'd take him for 5, as he can provide some scoring off the bench, but he's about as big of a defensive liability as you'll find.

And check out Gladiator. You have this guy playing out of the 2 slot? That's when you have opposing SGs dropping "fitty" on you. Enjoy those games. biggrin.gif
beck72
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 13 2006, 06:11 PM)
What's up, Beck? biggrin.gif

Harrington is an SF through and through. If you put him in the PF slot, he's a major defensive liability. He is simply not a banger. He is a mid-range player. If your scouting report says that he's cut out for the PF slot, consider who he has to go up against night in and night out, and then stick that report in the paper shredder.

Tyson Chandler is leading the NBA in Rebounds-Per-Minute and Offensive-Rebounds-Per-Minute since since January 21st. It's been what, like 11 weeks already? If he has lead in his shoes, then he's even better than I think.

Not much.

Right now, the Bulls have Noc playing PF. He's not doing too bad. But the Bulls need a low post threat. If not Al, who? Ideas?

Thomas and Aldridge aren't the answer.
The Dude Abides
I would love to see Harrington in a Bulls uni next year. This way,we don't have to give up anyone in a trade. Personally, I still hope we get Aldridge. He has potential and I think he will contribute in his first year. We need more than 1 low post scorer. You can never have too many good big men.
maggsmaggs
I still like the idea of getting Harrington and Thomas/Aldridge and Collins. We really need a good defensive combo guard. Collins in 6-6 can play the 1 or 2 and he held Reddick to only 11 points. This is the guy we wanted Basden to be, except Collins in taller, more athletic, a better scorer and great passer. A rotation like this would make me happy:

PG-Hinrich/Collins/Duhon
SG-Collins/Gordon/FA
SF-Deng/Noc
PF-Harrington/Noc/Allen
C-Chandler/TTorLA/Nazr

The only substitution I would make possibly would be Roy and Cedric Simmons. I think Simmons is better now and in the future than Saer or Splitter.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 13 2006, 04:52 PM)
Both of them scare me. I have visions of Aldridge of being another Brad Sellers and Thomas averaging 2 pts and 7 rebounds a game.

I think the Bulls can still get a very good C or PF with their 2nd pick. Guys with potential like Splitter, Saer Sene, could be around. Roy strikes me as a Wade type guy who will grow into an All Star. He makes all the guys around him better, esp on offense. He's quick as a PG and can post up, pass, drive the lane, shoot from outside. And play solid defense. A three guard rotation of Kirk, Roy and Ben would be hard to beat.

If those two guys scare you, then you should be terrifed of the other big players in the draft. The talent level drops off precipitously after those two. Those two are also by far the highest ceiling guys. These guys won't be THAT bad. Thomas is basically a 6'9" Tyson Chandler right now, and Aldridge can offer similar help defensively and actually has some offensive moves.

Splitter probably won't even be in this draft, and he's not a post scorer. Saer Sene is even rawer than Thomas, which is a scary thought. I'll admit that I haven't seen him play (I'm taking Chad Ford's word for it), but I'm assuming that you haven't either.

Roy is not as athletic as Wade, and isn't as strong a passer or ball-handler either. They have similar styles, but Roy isn't anywhere near as proficient. He's probably a Manu Ginobili-type at best. While that's good, that's not worth passing on potential All-star big men, and it doesn't really get us any closer to a title. The big guys could if they develop.
ChWRoCk2
QUOTE (The Dude Abides @ Apr 13 2006, 07:43 PM)
I would love to see Harrington in a Bulls uni next year. This way,we don't have to give up anyone in a trade. Personally, I still hope we get Aldridge. He has potential and I think he will contribute in his first year. We need more than 1 low post scorer. You can never have too many good big men.

My thoughts exactly, Id rather keep these picks than trade them, unless its for a good price. Aldridge would be a nice player to have, I think it will take him a year to tune to the NBA but hes gonna be a star.

As someone noted earlier the talent in this draft isnt that great, we are lucky we have two picks, if I see us trading a pick its our second one with one of our players or possibly a future draft pick.

Harrington would be a nice fit generally if a player wants to play for a team hes gonna try harder to perform, thats what strikes me as a plus to getting him he wants to come here and he has some talent.
ZoomSlowik
The only thing that really worries me about Harrington is the cost. I don't think he's a long term answer, but I kind of like the idea of having him around for a few years while Aldridge, Thomas, or whatever other big guy we get develop. I really don't want to see us use up a ton of cap space or give up talent in a sign-and-trade.
beck72
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13 2006, 08:56 PM)
If those two guys scare you, then you should be terrifed of the other big players in the draft. The talent level drops off precipitously after those two. Those two are also by far the highest ceiling guys. These guys won't be THAT bad. Thomas is basically a 6'9" Tyson Chandler right now, and Aldridge can offer similar help defensively and actually has some offensive moves.

Splitter probably won't even be in this draft, and he's not a post scorer. Saer Sene is even rawer than Thomas, which is a scary thought. I'll admit that I haven't seen him play (I'm taking Chad Ford's word for it), but I'm assuming that you haven't either.

Roy is not as athletic as Wade, and isn't as strong a passer or ball-handler either. They have similar styles, but Roy isn't anywhere near as proficient. He's probably a Manu Ginobili-type at best. While that's good, that's not worth passing on potential All-star big men, and it doesn't really get us any closer to a title. The big guys could if they develop.

Even though the Bulls desperately need a big man, I'm not convinced Thomas and Aldridge are sure things. Esp for a top 5 pick. Yet taking a big guy with the 12th or 13th pick who could develop would be a decent option [I thought Splitter was still going through the process but should come out;from one of the draft sites--Draft Express?, Splitter's defense is already NBA ready and has some offense; Sene and his 7'8" wingspan---he's still playing and scouts can see what he has]. At least one or two of the bigs projected to go in the 10-20 range should develop into what Aldridge and Thomas could give. It's a question of scouting and the Bulls doing their homework

The only guy I really like is Roy. The way he dominated in both the Illinois and Uconn games [esp. vs UConn having 4 probable 1st rounders] I don't care if he's 6'6". What Roy could give the Bulls, and his style of play to go along w/ Deng, Noc, Kirk and Gordon, IMO he'd be worth taking with a top 5 pick, even if Thomas or Aldridge were available.

Now if Noah came out and was available....
beck72
Here's that blurb about Sene

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1263
RememberThe90's
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13 2006, 01:43 PM)
Curry is/was an overweight slob with no work ethic that couldn't rebound or play defense.

laugh.gif

couldn't agree more zoom.

I grew up in the town next to Curry and everyone knew that

1) Curry was lazy

2) He was dumber than a box of rocks.

Its pathetic that this kid played 20 minutes south of Chicago yet Krause

completely ignored these issues concerning him.
ZoomSlowik
I really wish people would stop using draft express links. It seems like everyone's profiles are written by their parents. They make everyone sound like an All-star. I'm waiting for them to put up my profile and tell people that I'm the next Eddy Curry. laugh.gif

There's a reason that Aldridge, Thomas, and now Bargnani are projected to go so much higher. Those guys are a bit raw as it is, and it gets a lot worse as the draft goes on. No one has anywhere near the ceiling that those two do. I don't see how you'd want Noah over the other two. He's not as athletic, has trouble scoring, and is horribly thin. I'd much rather have the other two.
JPargo
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 13 2006, 06:38 PM)
Not much.

Right now, the Bulls have Noc playing PF. He's not doing too bad. But the Bulls need a low post threat. If not Al, who? Ideas?

Low post threat = Nene, Gooden, or Nazr. One of these guys Plus Our darft picks would meen a great year for us next year. i just hope that yson goes back to the PF
CubbiesFan07
i really liked gooden. have always liked him. big guy that can play down low nicely. wouldnt mind picking him up.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (CubbiesFan07 @ Apr 14 2006, 10:10 AM)
i really liked gooden. have always liked him. big guy that can play down low nicely. wouldnt mind picking him up.

Haha, you want to know why I like Drew Gooden? He is one of the best sources for pure comedy that you'll find in the NBA. Here are some quotes:

So now that the tears shed over the loss of overrated stat-padder Carlos Boozer have dried, the Cavs can move on.  Unfortunately, they move on to Drew Gooden.  He'll post respectable numbers because he'll rack up points when the game has already been decided, but he's not good enough to start in the NBA.  He doesn't play defense, and his work ethic is nonexistant.  Gordon's so lazy, he's like a rug on valium.  That's lazy...

Anderson Varejao was the key to the deal that brough Drew Gooden to the Cavs.  Gooden drew headlines because he's an athletic stat-padder, but he's also a fraud who will be exposed because of his questionable character.

Gooden has made stat-padding into an artform, making him much more valuable in the fantasy realm than in the NBA.  People are quickly figuring out that Gooden isn't a legitimate NBA starter.  If the Cavs are smart, he's only a stop-gap solution.

The PF slot is now up for grabs with Donny Marshall, Anderson Varejao, and the effort-challenged incumbent Drew gooden in the picture.  The Cavs would like to ship Gooden out, but if he stays, they'll find at least 20-25 minutes a night for him.  And he can pad thsoe stats as well as anyone...

Drew Gooden is like Kevin Costner.  Nobody likes him, but he just won't go away.  Every year the team that has him finds that one last team willing to take on the NBA's laziest player.  If he stays in Cleveland, his minutes should be cut.  His luck has to be running out.

The Cavs want to deal Gooden, but they can't because he's so lazy and will never match his mental capabilities with the physical.  There's a reason the Cavs have brought in Donny Marshall and Anderson Varejao in the past two summers.

If you're not laughing, you have no sense of humor. If you support this piece of spiff player, that is damn near enough to be branded a basketball retard for life.

In my experience, people who don't really watch him play like him, and people who watch him hate his guts. Funny how that works out. laugh.gif
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (JPargo @ Apr 14 2006, 10:08 AM)
Low post threat = Nene, Gooden, or Nazr. One of these guys Plus Our darft picks would meen a great year for us next year. i just hope that yson goes back to the PF

Nazr Mohammed is a low post threat?

Come on. All that he provides is help defense and some rebounding, and he's really nothing special in either category. He can't score for spiff. He has no post moves, no mid-range shot, etc. After he lost close to 100 pounds (seriously), he started to resemble Gumby. He gets his ass kicked by big, prototypical centers.

I want him as my 7th or 8th man, but you don't bring this guy in for meaningful minutes. Not exactly what I'd call a building block. wink.gif
bulls91
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 13 2006, 06:38 PM)
Not much.

i think that jermaine would be a good bet he will likely want a trade this summer and if we give them BG he will fill up some of the points that reggie had every night and sweets that could be a idea sence those talks just went away.
beck72
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 14 2006, 09:25 AM)
There's a reason that Aldridge, Thomas, and now Bargnani are projected to go so much higher. Those guys are a bit raw as it is, and it gets a lot worse as the draft goes on. No one has anywhere near the ceiling that those two do. I don't see how you'd want Noah over the other two. He's not as athletic, has trouble scoring, and is horribly thin. I'd much rather have the other two.

I think most scouts are divided on just how good the top few guys are. Thomas and Noah had good and great tournaments respectively and both would likely go in the top 3. Before those few games, Thomas was projected to go 5-10. Noah 10-20. Granted, Aldridge has been talked about all year near the top. Yet these are still guys who may not add up to much. If they do, it'll be a few yrs. Are they guys to build a team around? Probably not. But they probably are the best of a suspect group.

If the bulls pick like 4th or 5th, their move will be decided for them. If they get #1 or 2, it'll be interesting.

Pax has made his picks count, however he's evaluated. Whoever they draft, it'll be someone who contributes to the overall plan of building a contending team
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 14 2006, 04:25 PM)
I think most scouts are divided on just how good the top few guys are. Thomas and Noah had good and great tournaments respectively and both would likely go in the top 3. Before those few games, Thomas was projected to go 5-10. Noah 10-20. Granted, Aldridge has been talked about all year near the top. Yet these are still guys who may not add up to much. If they do, it'll be a few yrs. Are they guys to build a team around? Probably not. But they probably are the best of a suspect group.

If the bulls pick like 4th or 5th, their move will be decided for them. If they get #1 or 2, it'll be interesting.

Pax has made his picks count, however he's evaluated. Whoever they draft, it'll be someone who contributes to the overall plan of building a contending team

You make some good points, but the scouts aren't that divided on the top guys. Everyone seems to love Thomas' potential and think Aldridge can be a major post scorer. They might not be elite immediately (no one in this draft is likely to be), but they can contribute.

Thomas and Noah weren't really on the radar to start the year, which is why it took them a while to get their stock this high. Aldridge was more of a known talent.

The vast majority of draft picks are uncertainties to some extent. There are very few no-doubt stars, none of which are in this draft.
bulls91
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 14 2006, 04:25 PM)

i think that if we get the 5-6 pick then we will go with Roy then for our second first round pick they should go with O' Bryant sence he is 260 and a 7 footer and would be a nice addition.
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Apr 14 2006, 09:38 PM)
i think that if we get the 5-6 pick then we will go with Roy then for our second first round pick they should go with O' Bryant sence he is 260 and a 7 footer and would be a nice addition.

I'd draft aldridge and Obryant...we need 2-3 low post scorers. We are vastly undersized in the paint and can use all the help we can get.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 13 2006, 04:42 PM)
Right now, the Bulls throw it down low and everyone knows it's coming back out--no one can take a shot in the post. Few of the rookies mentioned [Thomas, Aldridge] would be able to do that either.

I don't know that I see Thomas being much of a scorer, at least early on, against the much stronger NBA players. I would love to see an LSU practive where he plays against Davis to give me a better idea.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (beck72 @ Apr 14 2006, 03:58 AM)
Even though the Bulls desperately need a big man, I'm not convinced Thomas and Aldridge are sure things. Esp for a top 5 pick. Yet taking a big guy with the 12th or 13th pick who could develop would be a decent option [I thought Splitter was still going through the process but should come out;from one of the draft sites--Draft Express?, Splitter's defense is already NBA ready and has some offense; Sene and his 7'8" wingspan---he's still playing and scouts can see what he has]. At least one or two of the bigs projected to go in the 10-20 range should develop into what Aldridge and Thomas could give. It's a question of scouting and the Bulls doing their homework

The only guy I really like is Roy. The way he dominated in both the Illinois and Uconn games [esp. vs UConn having 4 probable 1st rounders] I don't care if he's 6'6". What Roy could give the Bulls, and his style of play to go along w/ Deng, Noc, Kirk and Gordon, IMO he'd be worth taking with a top 5 pick, even if Thomas or Aldridge were available.

Now if Noah came out and was available....

I look at Noah, and I see a shorter Tyson Chandler. I see no scoring ability in him whatsoever, even at the NCAA level. He has no jumpshot, and no free throw ability. I like the energy and offensive rebounding he brings to the table, but we are already paying one guy $10 million a year for that, and Noah would be a waste of a pick for us IMO>
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.