Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is Jermanie O'neal a possiblity?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
madisonsmadhouse
I just read an article that Indiana would be more inclined re-sign Peja Stojakovic and consider trades for Jermaine O'Neal. With two draft picks what are the chances of the Bulls landing O'Neal? What do you think the Bulls would have to give up and would it be worth it? --Angelo Ppanikolas, Melbourne, Australia

Though much of the off-season trade talk will probably be about Kevin Garnett, I think the most likely big name to be traded with be O'Neal. The Pacers clearly are a team that has had its run and has to retool. I can see a major overhaul, and O'Neal is their big piece. As you saw with Ron Artest, they aren't going to give him away, but I believe they see him as the way they can get a head start on coming back without the big fall. I think that's the point Minnesota is missing. Their run with Garnett is over. They just don't know it and are too stubborn to accept it. They are heading to be the Bulls of 2000. I believe the Pacers will search out an All Star for O'Neal and wouldn't be interested in what the Bulls have. They don't want to start over with kids in a weak draft. Plus, their experience of trading Antonio Davis for a draft pick (Jonathan Bender) didn't work out very well. I also don't see O'Neal fitting with the Bulls. He's fooled many a media person since he's very open, cooperative and controversial. But he's also known for a lack of a work ethic and leadership, which the Bulls could not afford from a top player.
Balta1701-B
If someone could guarantee me that O'Neal would be able to play 70 games, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Right now, I don't know if he'll ever do that at any point in his career.
The Gladiator
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Apr 13 2006, 09:44 AM)
If someone could guarantee me that O'Neal would be able to play 70 games, I'd take him in a heartbeat. Right now, I don't know if he'll ever do that at any point in his career.

Exactly, Id rather have Aldridge, Thomas or Al Harrington.
ZoomSlowik
If he checks out medically, I'd take him in a heartbeat. The only other guy we could possibly get that would have a bigger impact on our team is Garnett. 20 points, 10 boards, 2 blocks players don't exactly grow on trees, and IMO it's worth the risk. He'd make our team a lot better than anyone in the draft as long as we can keep most of our core.

I don't really want Harrington. He's basically the same player that Loul Deng is, and would cost us a ton of money (and possibly talent in a sign and trade) to get. He's got more weight on his frame, but he doesn't really play like it.
bulls91
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 13 2006, 11:19 AM)
If he checks out medically, I'd take him in a heartbeat. The only other guy we could possibly get that would have a bigger impact on our team is Garnett. 20 points, 10 boards, 2 blocks players don't exactly grow on trees, and IMO it's worth the risk. He'd make our team a lot better than anyone in the draft as long as we can keep most of our core.

I don't really want Harrington. He's basically the same player that Loul Deng is, and would cost us a ton of money (and possibly talent in a sign and trade) to get. He's got more weight on his frame, but he doesn't really play like it.

i would take ant of them in a heart beat they are all good and would all present low post scoreing i would rather have O'Neal and then have Aldridge or Roy throug the draft but all will work out as it is meant to be in the future.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Apr 13 2006, 08:53 AM)
Exactly, Id rather have Aldridge, Thomas or Al Harrington.

I'll take the guy that is one of the 5 best centers in the NBA over those rookies and an over-rated guy who put up his points as one of the lone options on a bad Hawks team.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 13 2006, 04:30 PM)
I'll take the guy that is one of the 5 best centers in the NBA over those rookies and an over-rated guy who put up his points as one of the lone options on a bad Hawks team.

Yeah, Jermaine O'Neal is a freak. A major championship piece.

But I don't know who would play C, as him and Tyson are both undersized. They are both capable of playing terrific man defense out of the PF slot, but neither one has the girth to go up against your prototypical 265+ pound centers.

People talk spiff about Tyson's man defense, but you have to take into account that he's at a major weight disadvantage. He is much more effective when he is covering prototypical PFs in the 240 to 260 pound range. But then again, it's hard to play great help defense when your job is to smother a Bosh or a Brand.

I guess that I'd put Jermaine at C, as he can score on pretty much any center in this league. However, you don't want to have such an injury-prone player taking a beating night in and night out.
ChWRoCk2
I think id rather have harrington hes cheap and we would get to keep both of our picks, it makes more sense, and Indiana would want a lot for him
RememberThe90's
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 13 2006, 08:57 PM)
I think id rather have harrington hes cheap

Harrington will not come cheap.

He's a decent player in an otherwise pathetic FA market.
CubbiesFan07
wow i would take jermaine in a heartbeat. i remember when he was on portland and they never played his amazing ass. was sad because i knew the entire time he'd become a superstar like he is today.
yeah, id take jermaine if it came down to it, although he is a pretty high paid player. would easily take care of the C spot where we lack like, all competition...
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (CubbiesFan07 @ Apr 14 2006, 07:38 AM)
wow i would take jermaine in a heartbeat. i remember when he was on portland and they never played his amazing ass. was sad because i knew the entire time he'd become a superstar like he is today.
yeah, id take jermaine if it came down to it, although he is a pretty high paid player. would easily take care of the C spot where we lack like, all competition...

We could have had him. IIRC they wanted the pick for Chandler and another pick or something along those lines, but we didn't want to do it.
bschmaranz
QUOTE (RememberThe90's @ Apr 14 2006, 08:48 AM)
Harrington will not come cheap.

He's a decent player in an otherwise pathetic FA market.

Yeah, I see Al getting at least 8-9 million a season, probably the max, which is unfortunate.
CubbiesFan07
yeah id take al too. high paid again though.

we need a center tho boys, in case we dont get aldridge
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.