Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BEN GORDON!!!!
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Pages: 1, 2
TeaLeafReaderII
TIES THE RECORD FOR MOST CONSECUTIVE THREE POINTERS MADE IN ONE GAME WITH 9!!!

THE LAST CLUTCH 3 GAVE THE BULLS THE LEAD!!!!!!!

UNBELIEVABULL! cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif bullssmilie1.jpg

BULLS ARE PRACTICALLY IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

OH YEAH AND HE DID IT ON A BAD ANKLE!!!!!!1]

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

DAAAAA BULLLS!!!!
SleepyWhiteSox
bullssmilie1.jpg
The Gladiator
It was a nice effort. But I would I still trade him If I could.
Timoperezrulez
QUOTE (The Gladiator @ Apr 14 2006, 08:49 PM)

come on gladiator, show some love
TeaLeafReaderII

@#$% you! Drinking.gif
bulls91

yea i think that we should trade him also this is one good night that he has had i a few games now his stock is as high as it is going to get and we should take full advantage of it.
maggsmaggs
This is the problem with Ben, he plays so well sometimes and then sucks. I wouldn't mind him as a 6th man permantely, but he isn't a starter b/c of his size, defense and inconsistency.
bulls91
QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Apr 14 2006, 09:44 PM)
This is the problem with Ben, he plays so well sometimes and then sucks. I wouldn't mind him as a 6th man permantely, but he isn't a starter b/c of his size, defense and inconsistency.

exacty my point he is not the best that we could get at least a couple times better if we had a good sized guard like a Roy.
TeaLeafReaderII
pffft

You guys are crazy... we can't trade away the only guy on the team not afraid to make the game winning shot.
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Apr 14 2006, 08:44 PM)
TIES THE RECORD FOR MOST CONSECUTIVE THREE POINTERS MADE IN ONE GAME WITH 9!!!

THE LAST CLUTCH 3 GAVE THE BULLS THE LEAD!!!!!!!

UNBELIEVABULL! cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif cheers.gif bullssmilie1.jpg

BULLS ARE PRACTICALLY IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!!

OH YEAH AND HE DID IT ON A BAD ANKLE!!!!!!1]

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

DAAAAA BULLLS!!!!

I agree completely. He is only in his 2nd year. He will continue to improve. anyone who expects him to be a compelte player in 2 years has no patience and does not have realistic expectations. Gordon is a shooter and will be streaky. He will have bad games now and then...but, he also can single handedly win games for the Bulls like he did tonight.

He will only get better and is a great player to have on our team.
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Apr 14 2006, 09:47 PM)
exacty my point he is not the best that we could get at least a couple times better if we had a good sized guard like a Roy.

Roy hasn't taken a shot in the nba yet and you guys already have him taking us to the finals and playing in an allstar game his rookie year. ben is a great player and will continue to improve. I would welcome Roy on this team, but SG is really our 3rd need behind a C and PF who can score in the low post.
JPargo
God its amazing that some people are still saying we should trade Ben. I hope that never happens
The Gladiator
QUOTE (Timoperezrulez @ Apr 14 2006, 08:57 PM)
come on gladiator, show some love

Lol, Yah Ben Is Good in all but he just isnt tall enough or he doesnt handle the ball well at all and thats why Id trade him, He has a few Great Games then about 5 bad ones then 2 good ones then 3 great ones then back to bad... lol hope u could follow that. blink.gif laugh.gif
ChWRoCk2
Ive always supported Ben, he has the potential to be an amazing player and we cant trade him and if we do im not gonna be one happy camper
BV1998
ya ben gordan is showing definate signs of what he can be in the futer, go Bulls sweep the pistons! bringit.gif
rangercal
That performance was just amazing. How clutch can you get? It's not like this was a meaningless game in November people. This was a game in a do or die playoff chase, against a team we are chasing. He goes 9-9? I will say this once: BEN GORDON IS A SPECIAL PLAYER.
RME JICO
Ben Gordon is becoming more clutch by the second. If the Bulls can squeeze into the 6th seed, they have a great chance at making it deep into the playoffs.

This team is one big man away from constant 50-60 win seasons.

bullssmilie1.jpg
timnew
Everything about Ben being undersized is accurate, but Ben is the least of our worries. A good big man is crucial. Not only are we lacking down low, but I our current guards (ben, kirk, and duhon) seem to do a really good job utilizing a low post player that can score. Because of that, I think the combination of our guards and a legit big will help more than a good big would help some other team. I hope that makes sense.

Also, Ben seems to make every big shot he takes. I bet he's over 50% when taking late shots that will either tie, put us ahead, or win the game. If we trade Ben I think we'll be watching him make game winning shots for someone else for a long time.
Cute Little Bulls Fan
how are people still saying we should trade ben? Crazy you people are!!! NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY!! Yeah he can be inconsistent, but this is only his 2nd year!!! Not everyone is lebron james you know?? KEEP BEN IN CHICAGO!! that game last night was amazing, i was there and the United center was electric.. reminded me of the glory days bullssmilie1.jpg
Everyone got their playoff tickets?? I DID!! I DID!!

Oh yeah and i love this website smile.gif
CubbiesFan07
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Apr 14 2006, 09:42 PM)
yea i think that we should trade him also this is one good night that he has had i a few games now his stock is as high as it is going to get and we should take full advantage of it.

i really cant believe how many people on this board dont like ben gordon... the guy has practically gotten us where we are today. i mean jesus christ he shoots 45% from the arch!!!!! 5th in the NBA... come on people, you must be kidding me about that...

i mean he shoots 45%, hamilton leads with 49%... and hamilton has taken 1/2 the shots that gordon has... barbosa and mike james are the only others in front of gordon, i think raja might be too... but idk about that.

he hits the key shots, who else on the bulls can be that clutch, honestly.... hinrich is the closest one to that, but still gordon would be more clutch than him when it came down to the wire... give him some credit my god, its not that hard...

bad game this bad game that, he made 19 free throws the other day... who else can say that for the bulls? hes also what, 2nd or 3rd on the bulls in steals? yeah, go trade him.. sure, w/e. that'd be like trading brand all over again, except this time it's someone who is a huge outside threat, HUGE outside threat.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (timnew @ Apr 15 2006, 08:14 AM)
Everything about Ben being undersized is accurate, but Ben is the least of our worries. A good big man is crucial. Not only are we lacking down low, but I our current guards (ben, kirk, and duhon) seem to do a really good job utilizing a low post player that can score. Because of that, I think the combination of our guards and a legit big will help more than a good big would help some other team. I hope that makes sense.

Also, Ben seems to make every big shot he takes. I bet he's over 50% when taking late shots that will either tie, put us ahead, or win the game. If we trade Ben I think we'll be watching him make game winning shots for someone else for a long time.

Welcome to TalkBulls cheers.gif

How about that Ben Gordon? What an amazing run? I thought Arenas was going to run our asses out of the gym again, but Ben went off on him! That was an incredible preformance. When I say Ben Gordon is the only guy on the team who isn't afraid of the 4th quarter, this is exactly what I mean.
CubbiesFan07
good call
TeaLeafReaderII
Remeber Ben's first three? The one that hit the rim, bounced up about 4 feet then went into the basket. I should of known then last night would be special.

laugh.gif bullssmilie1.jpg
CubbiesFan07
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Apr 15 2006, 11:07 AM)
Remeber Ben's first three? The one that hit the rim, bounced up about 4 feet then went into the basket. I should of know then last night would be special.

laugh.gif bullssmilie1.jpg

haha i missed that one! i picked it up in the 2nd quarter when arenas had 21 or so
bulls91
QUOTE (Cute Little Bulls Fan @ Apr 15 2006, 08:30 AM)
how are people still saying we should trade ben? Crazy you people are!!! NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY NO WAY!! Yeah he can be inconsistent, but this is only his 2nd year!!! Not everyone is lebron james you know?? KEEP BEN IN CHICAGO!! that game last night was amazing, i was there and the United  center was electric.. reminded me of the glory days  bullssmilie1.jpg
Everyone got their playoff tickets?? I DID!! I DID!!

Oh yeah and i love this website  smile.gif

don't get me wrong i like ben on this team but i think that we will be better with out him in the future and get a 6'5-6'6 guard that will cause match up problems.

nice picture of noch and ben Cute Little Bulls Fan how did you find them.
bulls91
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 15 2006, 09:11 AM)
Welcome to TalkBulls cheers.gif

How about that Ben Gordon?  What an amazing run?  I thought Arenas was going to run our asses out of the gym again, but Ben went off on him!  That was an incredible preformance.  When I say Ben Gordon is the only guy on the team who isn't afraid of the 4th quarter, this is exactly what I mean.

i think that ben would be a good undersized guard and we do not need that.
nitetrain8601
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Apr 15 2006, 11:14 AM)
don't get me wrong i like ben on this team but i think that we will be better with out him in the future and get a 6'5-6'6 guard that will cause match up problems.

Well Ben does cause matchup problems. Most teams strategize against him defensively and everyone who says that he hurts the Bulls perimeter defense, I think the Bulls are for the 2nd straight year leading the league in opponents backcourt FG% IIRC. What else do you want? He's a 2nd year player. Patience guys, patience!
soxfan101
Ill never understand the amount of love Chandler gets on this board compared to the amount of hate Gordon does. I guess it hasnt been as bad here but in soxtalk ohmy.gif . First Eddy Curry was the whipping buy and he was our only low post scorer... now Gordon is the whipping boy and he is the only one on the team that can make the shot outside consistently. I guess people here just hate offense.
CubbiesFan07
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Apr 15 2006, 12:00 PM)
Ill never understand the amount of love Chandler gets on this board compared to the amount of hate Gordon does. I guess it hasnt been as bad here but in soxtalk ohmy.gif . First Eddy Curry was the whipping buy and he was our only low post scorer... now Gordon is the whipping boy and he is the only one on the team that can make the shot outside consistently. I guess people here just hate offense.

you got a good point there, i dont know why anyone hates gordon either... but oh well, i guess that's some people.
rangercal
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Apr 15 2006, 06:00 PM)

I was wondering this exact statement yesterday. Chandler gets wayyy to much love and Gordon gets wayy to much people wanting him gone.
maggsmaggs
I don't advocate trading, but he is really not a starter. He would be perfect as the first guy off the bench who can fill it up, but he is a liability in the starting lineup.
Cute Little Bulls Fan
QUOTE (bulls91 @ Apr 15 2006, 11:14 AM)

I got the pics from Yahoo sports' nba section this morning, if you go under the recap of last nights game you will find images. They usually have some pretty good ones.
timnew
I'm a little amazed at some of the trade talk. Ben is the only good player on a team mostly comprised of guys who range from scrub to average. Fine, trade Ben. Watch Deng, Nocioni, and for that matter Kirk try to beat anyone off the dribble late in the game. Without Ben, this team would be the worst in the league. Or darn close to it.

Our front line consists of a bunch of retreads and Tyson Chandler. Everyone else can easily be shut down if the other team chooses to. Everyone except Ben. Despite all that, the Bulls are on the verge of the playoffs for the second year in a row. Ben has been on the Bulls for two years. I don't think that's a conicedence.

Almost every big win we've had over the last two years can be attributed to Ben. Go ahead, throw him under the bus. Your right, we could find someone who's a little taller. But there's no way we can find someone that has more of a knack for hitting the big shot than Ben. If I were a coach and I had the pick one guy OUT OF THE WHOLE LEAGUE to hit a big shot, the only guys who come close are Dwayne Wade and Kobe Bryant. THAT'S IT. Kobe, Dwayne, or Ben and I think I might lean twards Ben.

I can't stress this enough. We can find more size at that position, I'll agree with that....but, THERE'S NO WAY WE'LL FIND SOMEONE THAT MAKES BIG SHOTS LIKE BEN GORDON! NO F'IN WAY!
ZoomSlowik
I'm not saying we should give him away, but I'd still gladly deal him if it can get us an All-star caliber player. It'll take more than a 16 point-ish average and a 41 percent field goal percentage to make me think that he's indispensable. If he ratcheted up his defense, became a better ball-handler, or improved his field goal percentage, than it might be another story. But he's still just a scorer, kind of like Jamal Crawford with a better jumper. Hell, Ricky Davis and Wally Szczerbiak put up better numbers. Let's not let a clutch shot or two make us think he is better than he is. Honestly, none of our guys are really untouchable, although I'd like to see us hang onto Deng (has a lot of potential) and Hinrich (is putting up basically the same numbers while also running the offense).
timnew
Deng? Really? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO Deng is an average player with a very limited offensive game. I also don't think Deng is any better at D than Gordon. Obviously he's bigger, but if the offense ran through Deng like it often runs through Ben I think we'd be a laughing stock. Deng is certainly young, but I can't ever see Deng consistently beating guys off the dribble, hitting big threes, or having an offense run through him. Most of those things Gordon does now, and I think he's got some PG skills that still will develop. As far as shooting percentage goes. I think there's gotta be someone on every team that suffers a little in the shooting percentage department. It's usually the guys who wind up with the ball late in the clock and is forced to make something happen. Ben is one of those guys for us and his shooting percentage suffers because of it. I also don't think Ben takes a lot of bad shots. He certainly takes a lot of shots, but I think the team runs a lot of plays for him. If Deng had to take shots that were half a difficult as the shots Ben is often forced to take I think Deng would shoot around 25%.

I feel the same way about Deng that you do about Gordon. I like him on the team, but if I had to choose it would be Gordon all the way. At the very least, when Gordon is on, the games are exciting.
illinilaw08
Ben Gordon is a very exciting player when he gets going, but looking long-term, how many teams maintain success deep in the playoffs without having a tall guard to cause mismatches? I agree that you can't trade him for less than market value, but if I could get a guy like Paul Pierce for him, the Bulls could be in business.

The Bulls have 2 HUGE weaknesses: a big guard and someone that can score in the low post. Either of these weaknesses could be solved by a trade centering around Ben Gordon.
nitetrain8601
QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 16 2006, 08:59 AM)
Ben Gordon is a very exciting player when he gets going, but looking long-term, how many teams maintain success deep in the playoffs without having a tall guard to cause mismatches? I agree that you can't trade him for less than market value, but if I could get a guy like Paul Pierce for him, the Bulls could be in business.

The Bulls have 2 HUGE weaknesses: a big guard and someone that can score in the low post. Either of these weaknesses could be solved by a trade centering around Ben Gordon.

Why is it a weakness that he can't post guys? He's a guard. I'm more worried if he could make open shots than posting some guy up. That should be Tyson's job. And again, the Bulls lead the league in FG% against, so there doesn't look like there's anything wrong with having a shorter SG.

This team needs one thing and one thing only. Competent post players. Tyson isn't one of them.
WHarris1
QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 16 2006, 10:24 AM)
This team needs one thing and one thing only. Competent post players. Tyson isn't one of them.

But he does contribute to the FG% DEF you alluded too.
nitetrain8601
QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Apr 16 2006, 10:29 AM)
But he does contribute to the FG% DEF you alluded too.

Not when he fouls out in 22 minutes.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (timnew @ Apr 15 2006, 10:21 PM)
Deng? Really? I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. IMO Deng is an average player with a very limited offensive game. I also don't think Deng is any better at D than Gordon. Obviously he's bigger, but if the offense ran through Deng like it often runs through Ben I think we'd be a laughing stock. Deng is certainly young, but I can't ever see Deng consistently beating guys off the dribble, hitting big threes, or having an offense run through him. Most of those things Gordon does now, and I think he's got some PG skills that still will develop. As far as shooting percentage goes. I think there's gotta be someone on every team that suffers a little in the shooting percentage department. It's usually the guys who wind up with the ball late in the clock and is forced to make something happen. Ben is one of those guys for us and his shooting percentage suffers because of it. I also don't think Ben takes a lot of bad shots. He certainly takes a lot of shots, but I think the team runs a lot of plays for him. If Deng had to take shots that were half a difficult as the shots Ben is often forced to take I think Deng would shoot around 25%.

I feel the same way about Deng that you do about Gordon. I like him on the team, but if I had to choose it would be Gordon all the way. At the very least, when Gordon is on, the games are exciting.

I don't think Deng is untouchable, but I think he's got a better shot at being a star than Gordon. No matter how much Gordon develops, he's always going to be an undersized 2 guard that is a bit of a defensive liability. Outside shooting isn't really Deng's strong suit, but he has a better mid-range game, is a capable rebounder, and even if he isn't quite there yet defensively (debateable, I think he's decent right now) he has a lot more potential there because of his length. He's got a much more balanced game. If Gordon's averaging 20 a game, then fine. But he only does that about 2 months out of the season, and if we had better offensive options he probably doesn't have quite as much freedom in his shooting.

Being "exciting" isn't really a selling point for a player, and they don't really run the offense through Ben. If they did, he'd have more assists and more turnovers. It's a good thing they don't, because passing and ball-handling aren't his strengths, and I don't want him bringing the ball up. He's more dangerous off the ball as a spot-up shooter. He's okay driving, but he doesn't do it enough, needs to finish more consistently, and he doesn't create shots for others when he does it. That's a major reason that his shooting percentage is low. He's not as dangerous doing that as he is behind the arc, where he actually shoots for a better percentage.

He's a solid marksmen that would be a really dangerous option off the bench on a good team, but he's not a guy that you can build a team around. None of our guys are franchise players, and if Gordon could help us add one that's fine by me. It's also a lot easier to find an undersized gunner than a long, athletic small forward with talent on the market.
SleepyWhiteSox
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Apr 16 2006, 08:27 PM)
I don't think Deng is untouchable, but I think he's got a better shot at being a star than Gordon. No matter how much Gordon develops, he's always going to be an undersized 2 guard that is a bit of a defensive liability. Outside shooting isn't really Deng's strong suit, but he has a better mid-range game, is a capable rebounder, and even if he isn't quite there yet defensively (debateable, I think he's decent right now) he has a lot more potential there because of his length. He's got a much more balanced game. If Gordon's averaging 20 a game, then fine. But he only does that about 2 months out of the season, and if we had better offensive options he probably doesn't have quite as much freedom in his shooting.

Hate to say it, but I think we as Bulls fans overrate Deng a little...

I also thought I remembered it being said he had very little ceiling when he was coming out of college so it's great to see him improving.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 16 2006, 10:53 PM)

I also thought I remembered it being said he had very little ceiling when he was coming out of college so it's great to see him improving.

I don't think we overrate Deng at all. IIRC, if he hadn't gone to Duke for that first year, there was a good chance he would have wound up being drafted by the Pistons instead of Darko, right behind LBJ.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (SleepyWhiteSox @ Apr 17 2006, 12:53 AM)

No freaking way. This guy is going to be an absolutely stellar mid-range scorer. Again, it's all about upside, similar to our Tyson conversations. These guys are still babies in NBA terms.
hammerhead johnson
Gordon's upside = top 3 in the NBA at creating his own 3 point shot, and top 5 in accuracy.

As long as he doesn't try to drive in, pass, or make any kind of decisions with the ball, I'll be content. Just chill behind the 3 point line.

Because 6'1 ball-hogging SGs who can't dribble, pass, or make good decisions on the fly tend to demoralize teams. But I didn't have to tell you guys that, because y'all know your basketball.
illinilaw08
QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Apr 16 2006, 10:24 AM)
Why is it a weakness that he can't post guys? He's a guard. I'm more worried if he could make open shots than posting some guy up. That should be Tyson's job. And again, the Bulls lead the league in FG% against, so there doesn't look like there's anything wrong with having a shorter SG.

I'm looking toward playoff sucess, not regular season sucess. If you think the Bulls can trot out guards at 6'3, 6'1 and beat good teams in the playoffs, you're kidding yourself. Ben Gordon is a damn good 6th man, but he is NOT the guy i build an NBA team around.

As far as Tyson goes, Tyson is not a superstar, but he fills his role pretty damn well. He rebounds, he blocks shots, and when he stays out of foul trouble, he makes the other team think twice when going to the basket. Yes he is a liability on the offensive end right now, but that's because the Bulls don't have that other big to complement him down low with offensive sucess.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 17 2006, 02:00 PM)
Gordon's upside = top 3 in the NBA at creating his own 3 point shot, and top 5 in accuracy.

As long as he doesn't try to drive in, pass, or make any kind of decisions with the ball, I'll be content. Just chill behind the 3 point line.

Because 6'1 ball-hogging SGs who can't dribble, pass, or make good decisions on the fly tend to demoralize teams. But I didn't have to tell you guys that, because y'all know your basketball.

Part of Gordon's ability to get open shots is based on his ability to go around guys. Without that you can fly out at him with impunity, with that, you have to respect the drive and can't be as aggresive in your close out. The fact that Ben has the ability to score without getting to the rim on the drive hurts him a little bit as it keeps him from the line, but it does open up the lane for offensive rebound off of the double teams, and it opens what passes for perimeter shooting on the Bulls.
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (illinilaw08 @ Apr 17 2006, 02:13 PM)
As far as Tyson goes, Tyson is not a superstar, but he fills his role pretty damn well. He rebounds, he blocks shots, and when he stays out of foul trouble, he makes the other team think twice when going to the basket. Yes he is a liability on the offensive end right now, but that's because the Bulls don't have that other big to complement him down low with offensive sucess.

Liability on the offensive end = leading the league in Offensive-Rebounds-Per-Minute since January 21st.

Oh yeah, I might have to reiterate this a couple million times. With his toolset, consider this:

He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old, He's only 23 years old

And I don't copy & paste either, because I'm old school and maybe a little psychotic. wink.gif
hammerhead johnson
QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 17 2006, 02:21 PM)
Part of Gordon's ability to get open shots is based on his ability to go around guys.  Without that you can fly out at him with impunity, with that, you have to respect the drive and can't be as aggresive in your close out.  The fact that Ben has the ability to score without getting to the rim on the drive hurts him a little bit as it keeps him from the line, but it does open up the lane for offensive rebound off of the double teams, and it opens what passes for perimeter shooting on the Bulls.

Well, what separates guys like Craig Hodges and Steve Kerr from Ben Gordon is a killer head fake (as perimiter defnders read eyes) combined with superior quckness in terms of getting into shooting form and firing away. Without that head fake and superior quickness, he is Craig Hodges.

The problem with creating a good shot off of the dribble is that you actually need to have some ball-handling skills to begin with, and Ben lacks BIG TIME in that area. He's effective when he spots up, gives one killer head fake, and then gets that shot off in a milisecond.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 17 2006, 12:36 PM)
Well, what separates guys like Craig Hodges and Steve Kerr from Ben Gordon is a killer head fake (as perimiter defnders read eyes) combined with superior quckness in terms of getting into shooting form and firing away. Without that head fake and superior quickness, he is Craig Hodges.

The problem with creating a good shot off of the dribble is that you actually need to have some ball-handling skills to begin with, and Ben lacks BIG TIME in that area. He's effective when he spots up, gives one killer head fake, and then gets that shot off in a milisecond.

Which is why it's going to be interesting in 06-07 and 07-08 when we see how this team is built when its parts really start falling into place...adding a vet or two in FA, hopefully adding a big guard and an inside scoring threat. If we put a couple other pieces in there, there's a good chance we can reduce the amount of times he has to try to dribble/penetrate on people because we'll have other means of getting BG open shots. Just like it's going to be interesting to see a 24 year old Chandler when there's someone else down low to guard the big guys and generate shots.
soxfan101
Even though some people dont like it Al Harrington should be a Bull next season and Aldridge so we should be a lot better in the PF/C position. Also we should have enough money to bring in a SG too. Plus I dont know who will be there but still got a pretty decent draft pick of our own.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.