Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: BG and Lu contract talks starting
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
DutheDoduhon21
Bulls talk contract with Deng, Gordon
Posted: Saturday May 19, 2007 09:01AM ET
Bulls general manager John Paxson's exit interviews with Ben Gordon and Luol Deng focused on dollars and sense. Instead of merely discussing the obvious off-season on-the-court goals, as he did with all players, Paxson also addressed with Gordon and Deng the window opening for their contract extensions on July 1.

i hope they both can get something done, i would love to see both of them back in bulls uniforms next season.
Balta1701-B
I can't explain how angry I'd be with JR if he wasn't willing to pay the luxury tax to keep this team together, especially given how low the salaries were for that 5 year post dynasty period when the stadium was still selling out every night.
eddog2
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 21 2007, 11:49 PM) *
I can't explain how angry I'd be with JR if he wasn't willing to pay the luxury tax to keep this team together, especially given how low the salaries were for that 5 year post dynasty period when the stadium was still selling out every night.

I agree. I really think it is going to be hard not to go over $65 million with this group. In 2008-2009 when Gordon/Deng's extensions count this will likely be how much each player will make that is currently under contract for that season or who I assume will be re-signed.

Ben Wallace $14.5 million
Kirk $10 million
Deng $12-15 million
Gordon $9-12
Tyrus $3.75
Thabo $1.93
Griffin $1.71
Nocioni $7

So that's $59.89 - $65.89 for 8 players assuming Nocioni/Deng/Gordon get around what I quoted. That's not including whoever we draft this season which will probably be another $2-5 million by 2008-2009 or the 6 other players that will occupy a roster spot.

Both Tyrus's and Thabo's extension take affect after Wallace becomes a free agent and I'm sure that's why we only gave him a 4 year instead of 5 year deal. Not to mention his age. Either way, Tyrus and Thabo combined once they get extensions will likely make more than $14.5 million so we are talking even more $. However, that's years away and either one or both could be gone by then.

I think we have no choice but to try and sign and trade Nocioni for a future draft pick/picks and an expiring contract unless of course JR want to go way over the cap. Or, maybe we could get Corey Maggette who is under contract for 2007/08 but has a player option that he will more than likely use in 2008/09.

Either way, it can be as bad as the Knicks situation. They are unloading over $60 million in expiring contracts this summer and they still are going to have a payroll next season of $87.7 million for 14 roster spots. That's just stupid. And what do they have to show for it. Isiah would have been better off not making any trades. Ever! He would have Tyrus plus whoever he would have gotten the year before. Then they could have tanked games on purpose this year and ended up with Oden or Durant. Oh well, good thing he's an idiot.
madisonsmadhouse
I think Lu will end up with a max deal, or close to it. Ben will get a deal similar to Hinrich's. I do not think we will see Nocioni back here next year. From a dollars and depthstandpoint, I don't think Nocioni is worth keeping a guy like Tyrus out of the rotation.
eddog2
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ May 22 2007, 10:24 AM) *
I think Lu will end up with a max deal, or close to it. Ben will get a deal similar to Hinrich's. I do not think we will see Nocioni back here next year. From a dollars and depthstandpoint, I don't think Nocioni is worth keeping a guy like Tyrus out of the rotation.

I don't think Deng deserves a max deal. Max deals should only be given to proven all-star players. Like Lebron, Wade, Kobe, ect. I don't think Deng's there yet and he probably never will be as good as those guys.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.