Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trade Noc/9th pick to Portland for Randolph.
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
maggsmaggs
This is what we want. Being with Skiles, two Mich. State guys, he can be cured. The Bulls winning/working enviornment will bring out the best in Randolph. Do it Pax. We get our big man for not a ton, keep the core. Portland pairs Oden with Conley and get a versitle player in Noc, we get our frontcourt player.
ChWRoCk2
QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ May 22 2007, 08:04 PM) *
This is what we want. Being with Skiles, two Mich. State guys, he can be cured. The Bulls winning/working enviornment will bring out the best in Randolph. Do it Pax. We get our big man for not a ton, keep the core. Portland pairs Oden with Conley and get a versitle player in Noc, we get our frontcourt player.

For starters Conley will go earlier than 9.

I wouldnt mind Randolph, hes young, only 25-26 yrs of age and good scorer down low. Just curious if we can stomach his contract, not sure what details of it are but its gotta be at least 12 mil.

I wouldnt mind but somehow I think we would have to give up a little more so throw in some second round picks.
ZoomSlowik
Randolph is making about $14 mil a year through 2011 and plays no defense whatsoever. He also has a poor attitude/work ethic, numerous off the court problems, and doesn't shoot the greatest percentage from the field either. His scoring average would drop a ton since it's unlikely that he gets the 16 shots a game he got the last several years, and there's definitely no way he gets the 18.9 that he averaged this year.

I'd say the chances of us getting him are pretty slim, and I don't think we can keep both Gordon and Deng if we do it. Our team would probably be better off passing and just drafting the best big man, thus saving a ton of cap space.

They will almost certainly move him now that they won the lottery though, he definitely isn't needed with Oden and Aldridge around...
eddog2
Nocioni/#9 wouldn't work financially. We'd have to involve someone else and I'm not willing to trade any of our key players to get a headcase. The only headcase I ever like was Artest and we got rid of him super fast.
Balta1701-B
That salary means that it is impossible for the Bulls to do that deal with only Noc unless Noc signs a $11.2 million a year deal for next year or the Bulls throw in Hinrich/Wallace.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (eddog2 @ May 22 2007, 11:25 PM) *
Nocioni/#9 wouldn't work financially. We'd have to involve someone else and I'm not willing to trade any of our key players to get a headcase. The only headcase I ever like was Artest and we got rid of him super fast.

Not necessarily, depending on how much Noc gets we could potentially add someone like Malik Allen (if he's back) to get within that 25% (which comes out to like $10.5 mil we need to hit). I still don't really like it though, that's a hell of a contract to eat for someone that isn't an elite post player...
madisonsmadhouse
Nothing is going to "cure" Zach Randolph. This kid has had some great coaches who have tried to straighten his life out since he was in middle school. He is a lost cause, and we don't want any part of his self-destructive nature.
TeaLeafReaderII
How far up do you think the Bulls #9 pick and Nocioni would be able to move us in the draft?
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ May 23 2007, 11:51 AM) *
How far up do you think the Bulls #9 pick and Nocioni would be able to move us in the draft?

In this draft, not too bloody far.

Although, if I were Atlanta, and I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that Conley would be there @ #9 because I need a point guard like nothing else, and the Bulls threw in another pick next year, I might consider that, even though it woulnd't be totally fair value, because it fills my needs.
Serbbojo
i read rumors that we may offer the pick, and duhon or victor for Nick Collison. Though i think we can get a Nick collison type player just by using the pick
eddog2
QUOTE (Serbbojo @ May 23 2007, 04:42 PM) *
i read rumors that we may offer the pick, and duhon or victor for Nick Collison. Though i think we can get a Nick collison type player just by using the pick

I seriously hope that was only a rumor. Collison is okay but I'd rather take a cheaper version of him at #9.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (eddog2 @ May 23 2007, 03:01 PM) *
I seriously hope that was only a rumor. Collison is okay but I'd rather take a cheaper version of him at #9.

KC Johnson's Trib article today.
General manager John Paxson will weigh whether the Bulls' top need—a large, interior scorer—can be met with that first-round pick or whether he needs to scour the trade market aggressively to land an established NBA player.

"That will be an option I'll certainly explore," Paxson said.

Of course, it takes two teams to tango in the trade market, so that option could be easier said than done.

Still, it's a safe bet Paxson will inquire on longtime Bulls favorite Nick Collison's availability now that the Sonics jumped to No. 2 and will land either Greg Oden or Kevin Durant.
dasox24
I like Collison, though I'm not sure he's worth the 9th pick. I would trade something like Duhon and Noc for him though, and then hopefully use the 9 on J. Wright or Hawes.

I think this lineup would be pretty sweet:
PG- Hinrich/FA or 2nd rounder
SG- Gordon/Sefolosha
SF- Deng/Wright
PF- Collison/Thomas
C- Wallace/FA or 2nd rounder
eddog2
QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 23 2007, 05:44 PM) *
I like Collison, though I'm not sure he's worth the 9th pick. I would trade something like Duhon and Noc for him though, and then hopefully use the 9 on J. Wright or Hawes.

I think this lineup would be pretty sweet:
PG- Hinrich/FA or 2nd rounder
SG- Gordon/Sefolosha
SF- Deng/Wright
PF- Collison/Thomas
C- Wallace/FA or 2nd rounder

Now I wouldn't mind something like that. By trading for a decent post player who rebounds very well (like Collison), the Bulls would be able to use that #9 pick on the best available player and not have to take an overrated big man. That means they'd probably be able to get someone like Brewer, Conley, or Yi b/c one of those players might slip b/c of team needs. I pray some team is super high on Noah and takes him at 5 or 6. That would mean that one of those players I mentioned will almost surely be there at 9. I'm praying that Yi slips. Howeve, I don't think he will. So I'm praying that Atlanta takes Wright at #3 and Milwaukee takes Yi like many people think they will. If the Bulls pull of this trade they could see Conley sitting in their lap.

However, if we trade for Collison, I'd rather trade Nocioni and some garbage player like Griffin or Victor.
sport1016
Randolph and collison are both great choices because they are VETERANS

With Hibbert pulling out, only Yi and Hawes meet our needs. Neither are the perfect fit, though i like Yi a lot on a front line with wallace/tyrus and deng to help cover his D liabilities for the next 10 years.

But it is very unlikely Yi will last till 9 and even more likely that neither one will help us anytime soon.

We need a veteran.

Nocioni is an attractive trade piece. Duhon is a VERY VERY attractive trade piece (3.2 mil expiring contract AND could probably start at PG for a lot of teams) plus khryapa.

Nocioni could be resigned for 5-7 million a year. Duhon and Khryapa's expiring contracts add up to just over 5 million. Bam! That's close enough to Randolph's salary and it wouldn't take that much to get collison.

Collison fits a lot more with the Bulls style of play, but is like a drew gooden in that he technically is a low post scorer, but at best a 3rd or 4th scoring option. Randolph is a dominating player, could be an all-star, but much more a gamble. Could he handle being the 2nd or 3rd option on the team? Playing D?

Honestly, it seems pretty clear that Lewis is out of seatle and being filled in for by one kevin durant, so I think they might try to keep Collison and wilcox and ray allen and make a run at this thing. But Portland, its addition by subtraction, giving their young core a chance to play and grow together. Randolph just eats minutes and shots for the young guys. SO they are selling low on him. Probably just looking for cap relief. Noc and Du and Vic's 5 mil in cap relief, could get this done. Plus, they have major needs at the 1 and 3. Perfect!

Either way, these trades would shore up the starting pf, and leave us with only 1 glaring need--backup pf and c--which could easily be addressed by the #9.

We could get lucky and nab Yi, but if not, what about Noah?

Sure Joakim isnt our low post scoring answer, but what team wouldnt want an anderson varejao as their 10th man? I would. Check out this roster, because it spells '08 championship baby

Hinrich/Thabo
Gordon/Thabo/Griffin
Deng/Thabo/Griffin
Randolph/Tyrus/Noah
Wallace/Randolph/Noah

Look, if anyone in the nba can straighten out randolph it is skiles.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (sport1016 @ May 24 2007, 01:26 AM) *
Randolph and collison are both great choices because they are VETERANS

With Hibbert pulling out, only Yi and Hawes meet our needs. Neither are the perfect fit, though i like Yi a lot on a front line with wallace/tyrus and deng to help cover his D liabilities for the next 10 years.

But it is very unlikely Yi will last till 9 and even more likely that neither one will help us anytime soon.

We need a veteran.

Nocioni is an attractive trade piece. Duhon is a VERY VERY attractive trade piece (3.2 mil expiring contract AND could probably start at PG for a lot of teams) plus khryapa.

Nocioni could be resigned for 5-7 million a year. Duhon and Khryapa's expiring contracts add up to just over 5 million. Bam! That's close enough to Randolph's salary and it wouldn't take that much to get collison.

Collison fits a lot more with the Bulls style of play, but is like a drew gooden in that he technically is a low post scorer, but at best a 3rd or 4th scoring option. Randolph is a dominating player, could be an all-star, but much more a gamble. Could he handle being the 2nd or 3rd option on the team? Playing D?

Honestly, it seems pretty clear that Lewis is out of seatle and being filled in for by one kevin durant, so I think they might try to keep Collison and wilcox and ray allen and make a run at this thing. But Portland, its addition by subtraction, giving their young core a chance to play and grow together. Randolph just eats minutes and shots for the young guys. SO they are selling low on him. Probably just looking for cap relief. Noc and Du and Vic's 5 mil in cap relief, could get this done. Plus, they have major needs at the 1 and 3. Perfect!

Either way, these trades would shore up the starting pf, and leave us with only 1 glaring need--backup pf and c--which could easily be addressed by the #9.

We could get lucky and nab Yi, but if not, what about Noah?

Sure Joakim isnt our low post scoring answer, but what team wouldnt want an anderson varejao as their 10th man? I would. Check out this roster, because it spells '08 championship baby

Hinrich/Thabo
Gordon/Thabo/Griffin
Deng/Thabo/Griffin
Randolph/Tyrus/Noah
Wallace/Randolph/Noah

Look, if anyone in the nba can straighten out randolph it is skiles.

He has to be the center of attention at all times. This guy has taken swings at teammates, and been all kinds of trouble in the lockerrom. Plus the blackhole he is on the block would not work with Skiles system anyway.

As for Skiles straightening him out, Randolph would not be able to handle a coach like Skiles, Zack is highly egotistical, and has never been able to handle critisizm. This relationship would not work at all.
eddog2
The only way Skiles would straigten him out is by not playing him. That just won't work.
Balta1701-B
Skiles sure did a great job of straightening out Tim Thomas.

Seriously, Skiles is a great coach with most types of players. Guys with attitudes, guys who are ready to mold, guys who are hard workers. But the only kind of guy Skiles doesn't seem to mesh with is the guy with a lot of talent who thinks he's too special to fit with the rest of the rules. We've seen several of those guys come through here and wind up out of here pretty darn fast.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 24 2007, 12:18 PM) *
Skiles sure did a great job of straightening out Tim Thomas.

Seriously, Skiles is a great coach with most types of players. Guys with attitudes, guys who are ready to mold, guys who are hard workers. But the only kind of guy Skiles doesn't seem to mesh with is the guy with a lot of talent who thinks he's too special to fit with the rest of the rules. We've seen several of those guys come through here and wind up out of here pretty darn fast.

And you have just desribed Zach Randolph to a T. Its not like this kid has done a few little things in a short period of time. His first arrest was in eighth grade, and it was a gun posession charge.
madisonsmadhouse
Pay attention to the arrest record closely.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Randolph can be had—with a ton of baggage

So, what's the price of success?

That's a question many teams, including the Bulls, figure to be asking themselves with the results of the NBA draft lottery Tuesday awarding the No. 1 draft pick, certainly Ohio State's Greg Oden, to the Portland Trail Blazers.

His selection means the first low-post domino to be available this coming off-season—and they could include Pau Gasol, Jermaine O'Neal, Amare Stoudemire and Kevin Garnett—certainly will be Portland's Zach Randolph.

He sounds like a perfect match for a team like the Bulls, a 6-foot-9-inch, 270-pound player with a rare, classic post-up game and outside shot. He averaged 23.6 points and 10.1 rebounds per game last season, but with Oden and last year's No. 1 pick, LaMarcus Aldridge, there certainly is no room for Randolph in Portland. His time there was rumored to be up anyway, no matter whom the team would get in the draft.

The first order of business for the Trail Blazers, now that they can have Oden, will be to see if they can trade for his high school and college buddy, point guard Mike Conley Jr.

That probably would require a trade with the Atlanta Hawks, who have the No. 3 pick and a need for a point guard. They already have floated suggestions they might take Conley.

The Trail Blazers have Georgia Tech point guard Jarrett Jack. Perhaps there could be a deal by packaging him with Randolph and a future No. 1. Big-time agent Billy Duffy has been rumored for weeks to be working on uniting the pair no matter where Oden goes. Duffy is working with Conley and his father, who is acting as the agent for his son and Oden.

The most recent talk has the Trail Blazers trying to trade Randolph to the Washington Wizards, who are in desperate need of interior scoring. Perhaps in a multiteam deal with Atlanta? Antawn Jamison, who's going into his final contract season with the Wizards, could be part of a deal to offset Randolph's $13.3 million salary for next season.

Yes, Randolph's statistics and game are appealing, even if he tends to stop the ball with his back-in dribble. But he still is due an average of $16 million per season for three more seasons.

His salary, though, could take a team out of the potential sweepstakes after the 2009-10 season when LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade can become free agents.

Sure, there have been troubled players who have succeeded, like Rasheed Wallace with the Pistons and Dennis Rodman with the Bulls.

But this, according to newspaper reports over the years, is what you also get with Randolph:

•1995. Thirty days in juvenile detention for shoplifting.

•High school years: Thirty days of house arrest for battery.

•Thirty days in juvenile detention for receiving stolen property, a gun.

•2002. Underage drinking arrest in Marion, Ind., his hometown.

•2003. Team suspension by the Trail Blazers for sucker-punching teammate Ruben Patterson in practice and breaking his eye socket.

•2003. Arrested in Portland for driving under the influence of intoxicants and marijuana.

•2004. Accused by police of lying in an investigation of his brother shooting three men in an Indiana nightclub.

•2006. Suspended by the Trail Blazers for making obscene gestures to fans after a game in Indiana.

•2006. Sued by a Portland woman for sexual assault, though prosecutors didn't file criminal charges.

•2007. Left a strip club without paying the bill while he was on bereavement leave from the team and missed three games after the death of his girlfriend's cousin.

•2007. Earlier this month, police were called to the parking lot of a strip club where Randolph and teammate Darius Miles were part of a gathering and a gunshot was fired.

It all reminds you of the wonderful scene from the Bill Murray movie "Stripes" when the characters played by Murray and Harold Ramis are undergoing the Army enlistment process and the recruiter asks if they were ever convicted of a felony.

Murray pauses considerably and says, "Convicted? Not convicted."

I don't know Zach Randolph and I don't know what he has done or hasn't done. His missteps all could be cases of mistaken identity. As the saying goes, "All I know is what I read in the newspaper."

There's no doubt Randolph will be the first traded this off-season, though it technically could run into July with financial rules. There's no doubt he can give a team 20 points and 10 rebounds every game.

But at what cost? Or what value?

There always are desperate teams, and Washington sounds like one. Heck, with what they have had going on with Brendan Haywood, the self-proclaimed heavyweight champion of Wizards' centers, and Etan Thomas, Randolph could be a relief. Perhaps, like Rasheed Wallace, all he needs is to get out of that brutal Portland environment. It could be all the natural grains and narcissistic runners. That would give any of us plenty of indigestion. It seems there's always a catch.

sasmith@tribune.com
soxfan3530
Sounds like a good guy banghead.gif
madisonsmadhouse
And by the way, that isn't all of his arrests. As I understand it there were other occasions while still in HS and college that he was arrested and let go without being charged, and since there was nothing in the newspapers, no one outside of his hometown knows about them.

Plus remember he was born in 1981, so he was 14 for his first listed arrest.
soxfan3530
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ May 25 2007, 02:09 PM) *
And by the way, that isn't all of his arrests. As I understand it there were other occasions while still in HS and college that he was arrested and let go without being charged, and since there was nothing in the newspapers, no one outside of his hometown knows about them.

Plus remember he was born in 1981, so he was 14 for his first listed arrest.

JUST GET GARNETT! biggrin.gif
RME JICO
A little more rumblings about Randolph:
Randolph, who grew up in Marion, Ind., seems most interested in the rumors surrounding Chicago, as he often brings up the Bulls.

"I'd like the chance to compete for a championship, and if I was able to be with the Bulls, I think I would be able to compete for a championship."

The Bulls were knocked out of the playoffs in the second round by Detroit, during which they had trouble scoring inside.

This season, Randolph averaged 26 points and 12 rebounds in two games against the Pistons, which came after he averaged 29 points and 11 rebounds in two meetings during the 2005-06 season.
Randolph owns the Pistons.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (RME JICO @ Jun 1 2007, 07:53 AM) *
A little more rumblings about Randolph:Randolph owns the Pistons.

If Randolph really wants to compete for a championship, there are plenty of ways do it, such as playing defense and not punching teammates...
sport1016
randolph might be the perfect addition bc he can be had for much less than any of the other people we've been talking about

The blazers want another top pick to add a young sf, they could get a GREAT one at #9. They might do it for even less than we think
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (sport1016 @ Jun 4 2007, 01:14 PM) *
randolph might be the perfect addition bc he can be had for much less than any of the other people we've been talking about

The blazers want another top pick to add a young sf, they could get a GREAT one at #9. They might do it for even less than we think

We still have to match salaries, and that would mean we would have to give up at least two core players for a guy that will self-destruct being that close to home.
DrunkBomber
I dont want that bum on our team.
TeaLeafReaderII
with regards to matching salaries, sign and trades with nocioni... and PJ would probably do it.... they would have to convince PJ though.
SoxFan1
Paxson needs to be on the phone non-stop with 3 teams; the Pacers, the Wolves, and the Grizzlies. KG, JO, or Pau...we need one, and we've got the pieces to get something done.
soxfan101
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 5 2007, 12:01 AM) *
Paxson needs to be on the phone non-stop with 3 teams; the Pacers, the Wolves, and the Grizzlies. KG, JO, or Pau...we need one, and we've got the pieces to get something done.

KG even though he can opt out next year prob will still cost too much and JO isnt worth it. Also JO probably is going to the Lakers it seems. Id love to add Pau for the right price but we dont know what that is.
dasox24
More than likely, the Grizzlies won't be trading Pau, their one big name player on the team, unless they get one of Gordon/Deng/Hinrich, plus probably the #9 pick and someone like Nocioni. Why? 1) Gasol has backed off his trade demand and supposedly likes the direction the team is going with the hiring of Iavaroni. 2) Memphis is really hurting for fans and revenue, and unless they got something like the above package for Gasol, the fans would be extremely pissed giving up their only 20ppg scorer.

A deal of Gordon, Noc, and the 9th pick for Gasol would enable the Griz to turn around and deal Mike Miller or Rudy Gay plus some other players to the Nuggets for Marcus Camby. That way, they could use the 4th pick on a PF like Horford or B. Wright to play next to the defensive stud Camby, and the 9th pick on a guard or another big man like Hawes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.