Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: kobe wants to play for bulls
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Pages: 1, 2
DutheDoduhon21
Kobe wants to play for Bulls?
Posted: Tuesday May 29, 2007 05:35AM ET
It's my understanding Kobe recently informed Lakers ownership he'd sanction a trade to one specific team and no other. My source is oblivious to its identity. Logic dictates that team is the Bulls, because there's no way the Lakers would deal him to the Clippers.

i love kobe but i dont think hes what we need right now, i like the backcourt of kirk and BG, and i dont think him and skiles would get along very well, but thats interesting.
Balta1701-B
Just out of curiosity, could you link to the page so that we can see where that came from?
soxfan3530
They were talking about trading Kobe Bryant on 1st and 10 this afternoon. Someone said a team like the Bulls make sense. And then the other woman said: "Yeah, I think a package of Loul Deng, Tyrus Thomas, Ben Wallace and Ben Gordon could get it done."

I was laughing my ass off!!!! laugh.gif
DutheDoduhon21
its from si truth and rumors
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ May 29 2007, 04:21 PM) *
i love kobe but i dont think hes what we need right now, i like the backcourt of kirk and BG, and i dont think him and skiles would get along very well, but thats interesting.

Thats why Skiles leaves and Phil comes back
dasox24
I would definitely take Kobe on this team as long as we still had Hinrich, Deng, and Wallace. As much as I love Tyrus, I'd be willing to give him up if we were to make a trade of something like Gordon, Tyrus, and the 9th pick for Kobe.
sport1016
kobe is perfect for the bulls plain and simple----he solves 2 of our 3 needs
1) post scoring
2) size in the back court
3) size at the 4/5

he is a better post up player than most (maybe all) of the free agents available

we definately have the players to get a deal done, but it would be damn near impossible to make the salaries work without hinrich or wallace moving....which is unlikey bc clearly the bulls would want to keep kirk to play alongside kobe and send BG instead, and why would the rebuilding lakers want wallace?

Gordon, Nocioni, duhon, khryapa, and #9 and.........a couple more first rounders?
that adds up to 15-18 million in salary plus a couple more first rounders...what does kobe make? 20?

i would hope to hell we could leave deng and tyrus out of these deals, but thanks to noc, sef, and tyrus' uniqueness, deng might be more expendable than TT if we are getting kobe's scoring in return
hinrich/thabo
Kobe/thabo/griffin
Deng/thabo/griffin
tyrus/?
wallace/mle FA

thats the best starting 5 in the league

I cant imagine why the lakers would give up the best player in the league but, as we've seen, kobe gets what he wants

and i definately believe kobe wants to play here-besides the MJ thing, which cannot be overlooked-we are one of the few teams that could give up plenty and still keep enough pieces to compete, we are in the east, which makes getting to the finals INFINITELY easier

kobe wants to win a championship without shaq badly. Going to the east is the best way to make that happen. Going to the bulls is the best team in the east for him to join.
dasox24
QUOTE (sport1016 @ May 29 2007, 10:43 PM) *
I cant imagine why the lakers would give up the best player in the league

B/c they are going nowhere with him. They don't have the pieces to acquire a huge name (Bynum is valuable, but who else? Brown? No. Odom? No. Walton? Nope). They need to change things up by adding young, talented players. Plus, they're still in a huge market, and wouldn't lose fans/money like a small-market team with Kobe would if they were to trade him.

If you were a Lakers fan, wouldn't you rather have a lineup of:
Farmar
Gordon
Nocioni
Odom
Bynum
with Walton as your 6th man
#9 pick (someone like Julian Wright, Joakim Noah, or Spencer Hawes)
#19 pick

...than a lineup of:
Farmar
Kobe
Walton
Odom
Bynum
#19 pick

Okay, so they wouldn't be a championship-caliber team, but would definitely make the playoffs. They would have some young pieces to build around, like Farmar, Gordon, and Bynum, and 2 draft picks this year, as well as 2 next year (I'd be more than willing to give up our 1st rounder next year too) Plus, it would give them some much-needed depth, which they don't really have at the moment.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (dasox24 @ May 29 2007, 11:08 PM) *
B/c they are going nowhere with him. They don't have the pieces to acquire a huge name (Bynum is valuable, but who else? Brown? No. Odom? No. Walton? Nope). They need to change things up by adding young, talented players. Plus, they're still in a huge market, and wouldn't lose fans/money like a small-market team with Kobe would if they were to trade him.

If you were a Lakers fan, wouldn't you rather have a lineup of:
Farmar
Gordon
Nocioni
Odom
Bynum
with Walton as your 6th man
#9 pick (someone like Julian Wright, Joakim Noah, or Spencer Hawes)
#19 pick

...than a lineup of:
Farmar
Kobe
Walton
Odom
Bynum
#19 pick

Okay, so they wouldn't be a championship-caliber team, but would definitely make the playoffs. They would have some young pieces to build around, like Farmar, Gordon, and Bynum, and 2 draft picks this year, as well as 2 next year (I'd be more than willing to give up our 1st rounder next year too) Plus, it would give them some much-needed depth, which they don't really have at the moment.

There's no way that team makes the playoffs in the west. If Seattle can't do it with Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis (they still didn't make it when they were healthy), I don't see how that team does.

I don't really see LA doing it unless they got Deng unless they're a lot more desperate than I think. When you're trading a top-5 talent like Kobe you don't do it without getting at least one star or two future stars back (Shaq was an exception. the first time was a sign-and-trade and the other was a special circumstance, and they still got Odom and Butler).

The Bulls need at least $15 mil to make it work financially, so I would guess what they'll be asking for is something like Hinrich, Deng, Tyrus, and #9, with the closest thing that might actually happen being something like Kirk/Gordon, Noc, #9, and Tyrus or Thabo (possibly a future pick if they get Tyrus).
dasox24
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 29 2007, 11:49 PM) *
I don't really see LA doing it unless they got Deng unless they're a lot more desperate than I think.

Fair enough. If Deng had to be apart of a trade, I might even give up Gordon and Deng to get Kobe, but if we did make that trade, I guess somehow salaries would have to match, so that wouldn't work. I'd definitely rather keep Hinrich b/c (regardless of the hate he sometimes gets) he's a damn good PG, something that a lot of teams in the association don't have. Maybe we could throw in Nocioni in a sign and trade (to up the salaries) and get Andrew Bynum back. I really like Bynum, and he would be that low-post scorer we need. Then, we could use the #9 pick on a SF like Julian Wright, Jeff Green, or Corey Brewer to take over for Deng, and use the MLE on a big man FA, and we have ourselves a very good team without the weaknesses (small backcourt and no low-post scorer) of this year's team.

PG- Hinrich/Duhon
SG- Kobe/Sefolosha
SF- Draft Pick/Griffin
PF- Bynum/TT/FA
C- Wallace/TT/FA

Not a bad lineup at all. I think it's better than this year's.
RME JICO
What is Kobe's salary? I think that would be the biggest hurdle, unless he did a sign & trade and took less money.

I would easily give up Gordon, Noc, Duhon, and the draft pick for him.

Kobe with Kirk, Luol, and Big Ben would be sweet.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (RME JICO @ May 30 2007, 07:45 AM) *
What is Kobe's salary? I think that would be the biggest hurdle, unless he did a sign & trade and took less money.

I would easily give up Gordon, Noc, Duhon, and the draft pick for him.

Kobe with Kirk, Luol, and Big Ben would be sweet.

It comes out to like $19.5 mil a year, so the Bulls would need to send at least $15 mil to make it work financially.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 30 2007, 09:41 AM) *
It comes out to like $19.5 mil a year, so the Bulls would need to send at least $15 mil to make it work financially.

And unless we can convince the Lakers that Noc is a $10 mil player, that basically means that Wallace or Hinrich needs to be included, as far as I understand things, because they're the only 2 with Salary figures in the $10 mil range for this season. If I understand things correctly, even if we resign Deng or Gordon to a higher figure, I believe they still would count for their current salary for this trade, so they just can't be used to cover salary.

SI.com:

BREAKING NEWS Kobe Bryant says he wants to be traded by the Lakers.

ESPN Link
The story lines that have engulfed the Los Angeles Lakers in the last week hit a crescendo Wednesday when Kobe Bryant said he would welcome a trade.

"I would like to be traded, yeah," Bryant said on 1050 ESPN Radio in New York. "Tough as it is to come to that conclusion there's no other alternative, you know?"

Bryant, interviewed by Stephen A. Smith, was asked if there was anything the Lakers could do to change his mind?

"No," Bryan said. "I just want them to do the right thing."
Bryant was left "beyond furious" by a report in Tuesday's Los Angeles Times that read, "as a Lakers insider notes, it was Bryant's insistence on getting away from Shaquille O'Neal that got them in this mess."
The Dude Abides
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 29 2007, 03:57 PM) *
Just out of curiosity, could you link to the page so that we can see where that came from?

yeah, trading our entire starting lineup could get it done. that woman and 99.9% of anyone who espn puts on tv is an idiot.

realistically, any trade for Kobe is going to have to include Deng. In my mind Deng is untradeable, however, for Kobe that would be reasonable.

I think a package of deng, Gordon, Wallace and the Knicks pick could get it done. We would have to put in Wallace bc of salary and Gordon wouldnt have a place here with Kobe anyways.

Pax has proven he is a jedi...If Kobe wants to come to chicago and enforces that stance, we could possibly get it done without including Deng, but I doubt it.

The starting lineup would be
PG:Hinrich
SG:Bryant
SF: Noch
PF:Tyrus
C: Brown/FA/Someone from the lakers thrown in trade?

If Pax can pull this off and keep Deng....That would be amazing to see them play side by side and have Hinrich run the point.
sport1016
If Kobe wants to be traded the Bulls are the perfect destination (young assets, in the east)

I still don't see why the lakers couldnt get JO or KG or Gasol to help Kobe, but to get them they'd have to gut their nonexistent depth and still might not have enough to compete with the super teams out west...despite the fans threatening to mutiny, their best option might be to go young to peak in a few years when duncan and nash FINALLY slow down

we do not need to trade Krich or Wallace to get to 15 million

PLAYER--------------WHY
Gordon-4 million SG for SG, will make good young inside outside duo with bynum
Duhon-3.2 million Need help at PG, need D in backcourt, plus expiring contract
Khryapa-1.8 million they like combo forwards (odom, walton, radmonovic)...expiring contract
Nocioni-5-7 million sign and trade-steps in for Walton, whos contract is up, noc is better at both ends
future 1st rounders young rebuilding teams want flexibility to make future deals, they'll want future 1sts

that's over 15 million in salary

WHY WOULD THE LAKERS DO THIS?
A Gordon Bynum combo is both intriguing and youthful, and noc is good enough to be the 3rd/4th option on any team. This would allow odom to become more of the distributor he was b4 playing with kobe and give them a good inside outside game (Noc and BG are among best 3pt shooters in league) that could emerge in full force in a few years. Though they may see Duhon as more than just an expiring contract, and a possible long term solution backing up farmar, he and khyapa's 5 million in expiring contracts is appealing. Now armed with plenty of assets (BG, Noc, Bynum, Farmar, turiaf, odom) those future 1sts could help facilitate future deals

WHY NOT?
Unless they resign duhon, this is basically BG and Noc and future late 1sts for Kobe. For another star that might be enough, but for the game's best player it might not be. They got Odom and Butler for an aging shaq, so they'd probably ask for one of Deng, TT, or sef as well. They will ask for TT, and that scares me.

We cannot give them TT. He is our most unique player and a proven game changer. As for Deng, Sef can step in and be a defensive stopper at sf. TT found ways to score all year based solely on athleticism and could transcend the game on the defensive end. He is going to be a shot blocking machine. A machine.

We get a championship caliber rotation, best backcourt in the nba, and they get a good young core to compete in a few years
Hinrich/Sef
Kobe/sef
Deng/sef/griffin
TT/FA MLE-maybe someone who wants a championship gives us a discount
Wallace/FA or draft pick

farmar/duhon
Gordon/Vujacic
Noc/Radmonovic/evans
Odom/Turiaf/cook
Bynum/Kwame

3 proven scorers (gordon, noc, and odom, with two guys who could be stars down the line (Bynum, and farmar) and an excellent bench (Radmonovic! turiaf, duhon, evans, cook)

we'd be the favorites for 08, plain and simple
ZoomSlowik
Sport, you're not too far out of line, but I just don't think they do it for Gordon, Noc, and future picks. If that's all it takes talent-wise there are other teams that can come up with something (assuming Kobe would go there of course). I just don't see them being that desperate, unless I drastically underestimate how pissed off Kobe is. I think it MIGHT be feasible if Tyrus or #9 is involved in that package as well...
Steve9347
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ May 30 2007, 04:06 PM) *
Sport, you're not too far out of line, but I just don't think they do it for Gordon, Noc, and future picks. If that's all it takes talent-wise there are other teams that can come up with something (assuming Kobe would go there of course). I just don't see them being that desperate, unless I drastically underestimate how pissed off Kobe is. I think it MIGHT be feasible if Tyrus or #9 is involved in that package as well...

Gordon, Noc, #9, Tyrus...

even if we give them ALL that, the salaries still dont work. we'd need BG to decide he likes to play PG a LOT, so we can trade kirk... or else we still don't have a prayer of having it work out... unless you can convince LA that noc is worth 10 mill!
sport1016
ordon-4 million SG for SG, will make good young inside outside duo with bynum
Duhon-3.2 million Need help at PG, need D in backcourt, plus expiring contract
Khryapa-1.8 million they like combo forwards (odom, walton, radmonovic)...expiring contract
Nocioni-5-7 million sign and trade-steps in for Walton, whos contract is up, noc is better at both ends
future 1st rounders young rebuilding teams want flexibility to make future deals, they'll want future 1sts

that's over 15 million in salary

this may be the 1st time i have ever quoted myself, but FOR THE LAST TIME we dont need to trade kirk or wallace or sign noc to a ridiculous deal.

We only need to get to 15 million in salary. Noc is going to get AT LEAST 5 million. Songalia got that last year and he only plays 1 side of the court and backed up an all star (Jamison). Noc is an upgrade over Walton, whose contract is up. Consider him in the deal.

Duhon and Khyrapa add up to just over 5 million in expiring contracts.

That's 10-12 million right there. Add Gordon, a given, exchaning SGs and giving them a possible all star, and a few future 1sts gets u there.

As for #9, if we include noc we'd have to do a sign and trade and that cannot be done till july 1st. The only way to include #9 is to draft a player for the lakers and send him in july too.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do the deal i mentioned before. I think adding TT gets it done almost for sure (assuming kobe doesnt back down from his trade demand) but i REALLY REALLY want to keep him off the table. I'd rather give them every other 1st rounder for the next 10 years (NBA prohibits teams from giving up two 1st rounders in a row), honestly.

Can we agree to a trade in principle including Noc's sign and trade, and then draft a player for them? Does that ever happen?
GreatScott82
QUOTE (sport1016 @ May 30 2007, 05:00 PM) *
this may be the 1st time i have ever quoted myself, but FOR THE LAST TIME we dont need to trade kirk or wallace or sign noc to a ridiculous deal.

We only need to get to 15 million in salary. Noc is going to get AT LEAST 5 million. Songalia got that last year and he only plays 1 side of the court and backed up an all star (Jamison). Noc is an upgrade over Walton, whose contract is up. Consider him in the deal.

Duhon and Khyrapa add up to just over 5 million in expiring contracts.

That's 10-12 million right there. Add Gordon, a given, exchaning SGs and giving them a possible all star, and a few future 1sts gets u there.

As for #9, if we include noc we'd have to do a sign and trade and that cannot be done till july 1st. The only way to include #9 is to draft a player for the lakers and send him in july too.

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do the deal i mentioned before. I think adding TT gets it done almost for sure (assuming kobe doesnt back down from his trade demand) but i REALLY REALLY want to keep him off the table. I'd rather give them every other 1st rounder for the next 10 years (NBA prohibits teams from giving up two 1st rounders in a row), honestly.

Can we agree to a trade in principle including Noc's sign and trade, and then draft a player for them? Does that ever happen?

Yeah the Bulls did it with Pippen during the breakup of the Dynasty back in 1998.
As far is this whole Kobe thing, as tempting as it is to have a player as good as Kobe, Paxson has to be very careful about this. Do you mortgage your future and trade guys you invested so much time in like Gordon, Deng, or Hinrich? Kobe is 29 while Gordon, Deng and Hinrich are much younger.

This is the only deal i would do: Ben Gordon, Andreas Nocioni, Tyrus Thomas, and the #9 pick for Kobe Bryant. Im not sure if the salaries add up enough or not, but I WILL not trade Deng or Hinrich anyone else is very tradable.

There is soooo much coverage about this on ESPN right now and the only 2 teams brought up to even come close to having something to offer LA are the Bulls. WOW Kobe may be Bulls sooner than later!!!
Chicago Bulls Franchise
So I guess Kobe now doesn't want to be traded. What a crock! Tomorrow he will want to be traded AGAIN! How do you read this guy?
GreatScott82
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ May 30 2007, 06:41 PM) *
So I guess Kobe now doesn't want to be traded. What a crock! Tomorrow he will want to be traded AGAIN! How do you read this guy?

Many believe this is a ploy to bring Jerry West back to LA. If it was, it a bunch of crap. Anyway, now Pax can focus on getting a true low post presence.
DrunkBomber
Kobe flat out said he wants to be traded in an interview with Stephan A. Smith, it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. There arent many teams that can work a trade for Kobe out and were one of the teams that can.

One thing that intrigued me would be something like Kobe for Garnett and maybe some other guys. But if those teams want to move them, their salaries would certainly line up.
RME JICO
QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ May 30 2007, 08:12 PM) *
Kobe flat out said he wants to be traded in an interview with Stephan A. Smith, it will be interesting to see how this unfolds. There arent many teams that can work a trade for Kobe out and were one of the teams that can.

One thing that intrigued me would be something like Kobe for Garnett and maybe some other guys. But if those teams want to move them, their salaries would certainly line up.

He also said later that he wants to stay in LA (after talking with Phil).

For LA, if they did trade Kobe, the Bulls would be a perfect fit for both sides. The Bulls actually have several packages they could put together for Kobe.

If I was Kobe, I would be licking my chops about playing in the East. Kobe on the Bulls would be an automatic ticket to the Finals.
bschmaranz
This is from Chris Sheridan's column on ESPN Insider
CHICAGO
It'd be difficult to put together enough salaries to add up to at least $16.2 million, which is the minimum needed to make the trade work prior to June 30 under the 125 percent rule. If you do it after July 1, you'd have to find $17.9 million worth of salaries to lump together.

You could do it by putting together a package of Tyrus Thomas ($3.5M), Ben Gordon (4.9M), Chris Duhon (3.3M) and Andres Nocioni (in a sign-and-trade deal in which the Argentine would get a starting salary of $6.2 million).

But would John Paxson be willing to give up that much?

Am I the only one that would run away with a deal like that giggling like a school girl?

Wallace-Deng-Kobe-Hinrich... notworthy.gif
dasox24
QUOTE (bschmaranz @ May 30 2007, 10:34 PM) *
Am I the only one that would run away with a deal like that giggling like a school girl?

No, definitely not. I think a lot of people would love that deal.
bschmaranz
I'd probably be cool with any deal that didn't include Deng... if we're giving up Deng, I'm not liking it.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
With the way Kobe has talked over the course of this day, I don't know what to expect tomorrow or down the road. Its clear he is disgruntled with the organization and you can tell he "wants" to be a Laker but if there not putting together a contending team then he wants to leave. Which is why he wants West back as GM because he is the only one he trusts. If that doesn't happen, I expect Kobe trade talks to increase although I think he stays until his opt out is up. Too bad he will be like 31 or 32 then. With the milage he has on those legs I probably wouldn't be overly excited to sign him when/if the time comes.
RME JICO
The time to get Kobe is now, and the championship window would be about 3-5 years because Big Ben is getting old too.

If the Bulls do not sign a FA low post scorer, we will be relying on a rookie to give us easy points in the paint.
RME JICO
On ESPN Page 2, they have the Bulls deal as the 2nd most likely:
Deal No. 2: Chicago trades Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Victor Khryapa and the No. 9 pick for Kobe.

Additional notes: This deal works as long as the Bulls renounce P.J. Brown's rights; also, it means the Lakers would receive a mammoth (and appealing) trade exception in the deal.

Comments: This seems like the most natural home for Kobe -- it's a big city; they're a contender in the East; there's enough talent left after the deal to make a run, and even the MJ-Kobe symmetry works nicely -- as well as the best possible haul for the Lakers. The deal could work in a variety of ways: Instead of renouncing Brown's rights, the Bulls could include Andres Nocioni as a sign-and-trade (starting at around $5 million per) and renounce Mike Sweetney's rights instead of Brown's. If they wanted to get even more creative, they could make it Deng, Gordon, P.J. Brown (sign and trade -- one year, $10 million) and the No. 9 for Kobe. They could try to substitute Ty Thomas and a future No. 1 for Deng. Etc., etc., etc.

Two big obstacles here:

(A) Would the Bulls ever give up Deng? The Lakers would have to get him back in a Kobe deal, right? I feel like he's become slightly overrated over the past season -- he's definitely a potential All-Star; he definitely could become the second-best player on a championship-caliber team, but I don't see him getting much better than he is right now. Do you ever see him scoring 27-28 a game? Do you ever see him being the crunch-time scorer on a great team? If you could land Kobe and keep Kirk Hinrich, Ben Wallace, Ty Thomas, Chris Duhon and Thabo Sefolosha, then sign one more veteran to help them out, that's a potential 2008 title team. Isn't the whole point to win a title?

(cool.gif Would John Paxson ever roll the dice with a mega-deal for someone like Kobe? He seems to be happier stockpiling young assets and waiting for one of these other teams to offer him the likes of KG or Jermaine O'Neal for 30 cents on the dollar. By making a Kobe deal, Paxson would be shoving his chips to the middle of the table ... something he's been completely unwilling to do. We will see.
Steve9347
If you can get Kobe, you just ask the Lakers what it would take... the moment trading is opened, if I were Paxson, I'd easily show my hand and just tell them, "we want Kobe."

I think we are far enough away from Colorado-gate that Kobe could help this team on so many levels. We'd be much more attractive to a national audience, we'd have the "Air to the throne," we'd have our guy... Kobe would own this town, and with the other pieces we have in place right now, we'd be ready for a championship run.

Kobe is still young, and could help this team for more than a decade, and has expressed interest in coming to Chicago. I just see this working so well, as much as I have not been a fan of Kobe in the past...

I don't care if it is an unreasonable offer... if you can get Kobe, without giving up too much of your core, then you do it... I believe we saw what this team, as currently assembled, is fully capable of this year... and that's one step away from the Eastern Conference Finals.

With Kobe, this team is a Finals contender, no questions asked, and we're set up perfectly for when Ben Wallace leaves to sign another big man... so the possibility of keeping Kobe continually happy is through the roof.
Steve9347
This from Bill Simmons... in the top 7 trade possibilities for Kobe, we're #2 of 7.

Bill Simmons' Top 7 Trades

Deal No. 2: Chicago trades Luol Deng, Ben Gordon, Victor Khryapa and the No. 9 pick for Kobe.

Additional notes: This deal works as long as the Bulls renounce P.J. Brown's rights; also, it means the Lakers would receive a mammoth (and appealing) trade exception in the deal.

Comments: This seems like the most natural home for Kobe -- it's a big city; they're a contender in the East; there's enough talent left after the deal to make a run, and even the MJ-Kobe symmetry works nicely -- as well as the best possible haul for the Lakers. The deal could work in a variety of ways: Instead of renouncing Brown's rights, the Bulls could include Andres Nocioni as a sign-and-trade (starting at around $5 million per) and renounce Mike Sweetney's rights instead of Brown's. If they wanted to get even more creative, they could make it Deng, Gordon, P.J. Brown (sign and trade -- one year, $10 million) and the No. 9 for Kobe. They could try to substitute Ty Thomas and a future No. 1 for Deng. Etc., etc., etc.

Two big obstacles here:

A. Would the Bulls ever give up Deng? The Lakers would have to get him back in a Kobe deal, right? I feel like he's become slightly overrated over the past season -- he's definitely a potential All-Star; he definitely could become the second-best player on a championship-caliber team, but I don't see him getting much better than he is right now. Do you ever see him scoring 27-28 a game? Do you ever see him being the crunch-time scorer on a great team? If you could land Kobe and keep Kirk Hinrich, Ben Wallace, Ty Thomas, Chris Duhon and Thabo Sefolosha, then sign one more veteran to help them out, that's a potential 2008 title team. Isn't the whole point to win a title?

B. Would John Paxson ever roll the dice with a mega-deal for someone like Kobe? He seems to be happier stockpiling young assets and waiting for one of these other teams to offer him the likes of KG or Jermaine O'Neal for 30 cents on the dollar. By making a Kobe deal, Paxson would be shoving his chips to the middle of the table ... something he's been completely unwilling to do. We will see.
madisonsmadhouse
If you trade both Gordon and Deng, plus the #9 pick, you pretty much are surrounding Kobe with the same amount of talent his has in LA.
soxfan101
We have to keep one of Deng or Gordon, trading both would just kind of be pointless in my mind. Would effectively make us the Lakers of the East. If we do end up trading both Deng and Gordon id expect Bynum to come our way too. If we got Bynum plus draft lets say Julian Wright maybe we got something.
SoxFan1
A number of the 7 trades are quite ridiculous.
Sanitarium
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ May 31 2007, 03:49 PM) *
We have to keep one of Deng or Gordon, trading both would just kind of be pointless in my mind. Would effectively make us the Lakers of the East. If we do end up trading both Deng and Gordon id expect Bynum to come our way too. If we got Bynum plus draft lets say Julian Wright maybe we got something.

so basically just swap teams with LA?
TeaLeafReaderII
the LA lakers in the eastern conference have a pretty good shot at the best record and reaching the championship :huh
dasox24
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ May 31 2007, 02:49 PM) *
Would effectively make us the Lakers of the East.

I don't necessarily think it would. We would have a better PG (Hinrich>Smush), SF (Nocioni>Walton), and C(Wallace>Bynum) than the Lakers. They have Odom who can play PF better than anyone on our team right now, but having the better of 3 out of 4 positions besides Kobe makes us better.
soxfan101
QUOTE (Sanitarium @ May 31 2007, 07:27 PM) *
so basically just swap teams with LA?

No? We would still have Hinrich running the show at PG and Ben Wallace being a stopper at C. Not 2 mention Tyrus Thomas and Thabo who are both very talented individuals. Than you draft a lets say Julian Wright in that scenario who would be another great athlete and bring in a talented big who can score in the paint with Bynum. In LA its Kobe/Odom/Kwame....

That would be one talented roster from the get go and when Kobe/Wallace are fading would be the peak of Thomas, Thabo, Bynum, and Wright. Not 2 mention PG's seem to get better and better for a long while in their careers so Hinrich would still be good.

If we could trade Deng, Gordon, Nocioni, and send whatevr else it takes to work salary wise for Kobe and Bynum id do it without a 2nd though.

PG:Kirk Hinrich
SG:Kobe Bryant
SF:Julian Wright
PF:Tyrus Thomas
C:Ben Wallace

bench:
PG:Chris Duhon
PG/SG/SF: Thabo Sefelosha
PF/C:Andrew Bynum

We could also use the MLE to bring in more depth, maybe we can bring in someone like SAR.
RME JICO
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jun 1 2007, 07:11 AM) *
No? We would still have Hinrich running the show at PG and Ben Wallace being a stopper at C. Not 2 mention Tyrus Thomas and Thabo who are both very talented individuals. Than you draft a lets say Julian Wright in that scenario who would be another great athlete and bring in a talented big who can score in the paint with Bynum. In LA its Kobe/Odom/Kwame....
That would be one talented roster from the get go and when Kobe/Wallace are fading would be the peak of Thomas, Thabo, Bynum, and Wright. Not 2 mention PG's seem to get better and better for a long while in their careers so Hinrich would still be good.
If we could trade Deng, Gordon, Nocioni, and send whatevr else it takes to work salary wise for Kobe and Bynum id do it without a 2nd though.

PG:Kirk Hinrich
SG:Kobe Bryant
SF:Julian Wright
PF:Tyrus Thomas
C:Ben Wallace

bench:
PG:Chris Duhon
PG/SG/SF: Thabo Sefelosha
PF/C:Andrew Bynum
We could also use the MLE to bring in more depth, maybe we can bring in someone like SAR.

I don't think the Bulls would part with both Noc and Deng. Also, from what I have been hearing Bynum is not going anywhere.
ZoomSlowik
I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it again: Julian Wright is not ready to start in the NBA, and if he is our starting SF we got problems. This is especially true if Tyrus and Wallace are in the same lineup, that's 3 guys that can't create their own shot. He's long and athletic, but he has NO jumper and at this point is better equipped to play more of a PF role because he's at his most dangerous waiting in the paint for lobs and offensive rebounds (of course the problem with that is he's a little thin to play PF in the pros right now). Kobe and Kirk better score about 60 a game if we're going with that setup.
soxfan101
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 1 2007, 12:14 PM) *
I said it in the other thread, but I'll say it again: Julian Wright is not ready to start in the NBA, and if he is our starting SF we got problems. This is especially true if Tyrus and Wallace are in the same lineup, that's 3 guys that can't create their own shot. He's long and athletic, but he has NO jumper and at this point is better equipped to play more of a PF role because he's at his most dangerous waiting in the paint for lobs and offensive rebounds (of course the problem with that is he's a little thin to play PF in the pros right now). Kobe and Kirk better score about 60 a game if we're going with that setup.

Thats your opinion. For one we would have Bynum in that scenario and he could prob avg. 10-15 and I think Tyrus will greatly improve too. Not 2 mention Thabo will get more minutes and he can score too. I think Julian Wright can have the impact Deng did his rookie season.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jun 1 2007, 07:34 PM) *
Thats your opinion. For one we would have Bynum in that scenario and he could prob avg. 10-15 and I think Tyrus will greatly improve too. Not 2 mention Thabo will get more minutes and he can score too. I think Julian Wright can have the impact Deng did his rookie season.

Am I the only one who thinks that 1/2 of this is related to Kobe being really, really tired of waiting on Bynum to develop?
soxfan101
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 1 2007, 11:57 PM) *
Am I the only one who thinks that 1/2 of this is related to Kobe being really, really tired of waiting on Bynum to develop?

Probably, but it would be ridiculous just to trade Deng and Gordon for Kobe. And of course whatevr else makes it work salary wise.
ChWRoCk2
I could see the Knicks looking at him. They have alot of players they could give up, one being either Francis or Marbury.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
When the season starts, Kobe will be a Laker unfortuneatley. Jeani Buss on her blog said the Lakers will NOT look to trade Bryant. The more and more I think about it, its just Kobe trying to negotiate through the media. He wants to stay a Laker but he wants them to realize, they better make some trades NOW!
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jun 1 2007, 09:34 PM) *

Exactly what makes you say that? Deng was the best player and leading scorer on a loaded Duke team, and was only a freshmen. He was EXPONENTIALLY more polished offensively than Wright is. Heck, Wright probably wouldn't even be my first choice among Kansas players, Brandon Rush looked better than him 9 games out of 10 (of course he's hurt now and going back to school).
soxfan101
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 3 2007, 03:10 PM) *
Exactly what makes you say that? Deng was the best player and leading scorer on a loaded Duke team, and was only a freshmen. He was EXPONENTIALLY more polished offensively than Wright is. Heck, Wright probably wouldn't even be my first choice among Kansas players, Brandon Rush looked better than him 9 games out of 10 (of course he's hurt now and going back to school).

I watched Deng play in March Madness and I watched Julian Wright play, no question about it Wright was a more confident and better player. Deng was far from being more polished thant Wright is. Id say Deng was arguably more raw. Even now I bet Julian can shoot the 3 better than Luol.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jun 3 2007, 04:07 PM) *
I watched Deng play in March Madness and I watched Julian Wright play, no question about it Wright was a more confident and better player. Deng was far from being more polished thant Wright is. Id say Deng was arguably more raw. Even now I bet Julian can shoot the 3 better than Luol.

Which is exactly why they told Deng to take it out of his arsenal and shoot the mid range jumper more. Still, Deng was a better player overall.
soxfan101
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 3 2007, 04:14 PM) *
Which is exactly why they told Deng to take it out of his arsenal and shoot the mid range jumper more. Still, Deng was a better player overall.

well yeah, but he is saying Wright cant shoot, and he shot better than Deng while in college. And he also is a better athlete than Deng. Its not out of the realm of possibility to imagine he would put up similar numbers to that of Deng's rookie season.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jun 3 2007, 07:47 PM) *
well yeah, but he is saying Wright cant shoot, and he shot better than Deng while in college. And he also is a better athlete than Deng. Its not out of the realm of possibility to imagine he would put up similar numbers to that of Deng's rookie season.

Where will he get minutes on this team? Behind Deng, Thabo, Nocioni (maybe), and Tyrus?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.