Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: bulls interested in nene?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
DutheDoduhon21
Nene's contract appealing to Bulls?
Posted: Tuesday May 29, 2007 08:15AM ET
Another player the Bulls might think about this summer is Denver power forward Nene. No team needs to clear payroll more than the Nuggets. Last winter, when Denver acquired Allen Iverson's massive deal from Philadelphia, no team wanted to touch Nene's contract. But with four years and $50.5 million remaining, he's owed less than Zach Randolph or Pau Gasol.

i would like to have nene, i havnt seen much of him thoe, what would we have to give up for him?
Balta1701-B
Well, first of all, Nene is not worth his contract. But that said, he did put up 12 points and 7 rebounds per game in about 25 minutes per game last season at the position we need depth. But he also only played in 64 games last season, 1 game the year before, and 55 back in 04.

But if we're taking on that contract, we better not be giving up much. Like Noc and Khryapa much. Basically, slightly better scoring than PJ Brown gave us last year with a high injury risk and a $50 mil deal.
soxfan3530
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 29 2007, 04:54 PM) *
Well, first of all, Nene is not worth his contract. But that said, he did put up 12 points and 7 rebounds per game in about 25 minutes per game last season at the position we need depth. But he also only played in 64 games last season, 1 game the year before, and 55 back in 04.

But if we're taking on that contract, we better not be giving up much. Like Noc and Khryapa much. Basically, slightly better scoring than PJ Brown gave us last year with a high injury risk and a $50 mil deal.

Yeah, when I read that I couldn't believe that contract. They would need to eat some of that salary to get a deal done.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (soxfan3530 @ May 29 2007, 03:28 PM) *
Yeah, when I read that I couldn't believe that contract. They would need to eat some of that salary to get a deal done.

Um, does that actually happen in the NBA? Because that would make it a heck of a lot easier to get trades done.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ May 29 2007, 05:29 PM) *
Um, does that actually happen in the NBA? Because that would make it a heck of a lot easier to get trades done.

No, I do not believe it does.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
im interested
dasox24
Nah, I'd rather bring P.J. back. But even if he wants to retire, I'd rather not take on that fat contract for 12 and 7 per game.
sport1016
nene played a lot better than 12 and 7 at the end of the season and in the playoffs

they probably want to move him bc his value increased at the end of the season, and they couldnt give away kmart coming off an injury

i would love to have nene-he scores in the post, can play either the 4 or 5 (which, to me, is essential of any FA or trade bc we want someone who can play alongside both wallace now and tyrus later)

duhon (they need help at pg), khryapa, and sign and trade noc (do they need a 3/4 with melo?)

that's 10-12 million in salary, which should get it done

why would denver do this deal?
-5 million in expiring contracts
-they really need a backup pg (maybe even a starter, depending on what happens with blake) but thanks to AI playing the 2, a defender like duhon would be very appealing to them
-dont know about noc though--they have a few tweener forwards already besides melo, like najera and evans, but noc is a better offensive player than those two combined
eddog2
I'd like to start off by asking how many people are real basketball fans or just Bulls fans. How many of you have even watched the guy play and seen how talented he is. I'm guessing not many of you after I read the posts. Nene is one of my favorite PF's in the league.

Anyway, Nene is a true up and coming PF in this league. The guy is super quick, he has super quick hands and he's an above average defender. Just ask Tim Duncan. He's not the most polished player offensively, but he uses his body and his athleticism well and he shoots a very high percentage.

As for the contract, I thought the Nuggets were crazy when they gave him $10 million after missing an entire season with a very bad knee injury. But after watching him play and improve this year, I see why they decided to increase payroll instead of losing the up and coming Nene.

This was his fifth year in the league, but actually his 4th if you take away the season he missed. In only 26.8 mpg he averaged 12ppg, 7.0 rpg, and almost 1 steal and 1 block. And those stats don't show what type of player he is b/c to start the year he wasn't a starter and wasn't 100%. I think it's more fair to look at his last 14 games of the season. During that span he averaged 16.6 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.21 spg, while shooting 71% FG. The 71% is high and probably not likely to ever happen over a season but he's definately capable of averaging 18+ ppg, 10 rpg, 1.5 spg, 1.0 bpg & shooting over 55% at some point in his career. He is becoming a smarter player and he'll need to improve his foul trouble. He'd definately improve that if he were in the eastern conference.

The guy is an improving player. He's turning 25 this season so his potential to grow is still high.

With all that being said, I think it would take a lot for the Nuggets to trade him. I really wish the Bulls would have looked into trading for him before last season. The odds are not in our favor on this one but I'd probably be the happiest Bulls fan in town if we ever did trade for him.

QUOTE (sport1016 @ May 29 2007, 11:06 PM) *
nene played a lot better than 12 and 7 at the end of the season and in the playoffs

they probably want to move him bc his value increased at the end of the season, and they couldnt give away kmart coming off an injury

i would love to have nene-he scores in the post, can play either the 4 or 5 (which, to me, is essential of any FA or trade bc we want someone who can play alongside both wallace now and tyrus later)

duhon (they need help at pg), khryapa, and sign and trade noc (do they need a 3/4 with melo?)

that's 10-12 million in salary, which should get it done

why would denver do this deal?
-5 million in expiring contracts
-they really need a backup pg (maybe even a starter, depending on what happens with blake) but thanks to AI playing the 2, a defender like duhon would be very appealing to them
-dont know about noc though--they have a few tweener forwards already besides melo, like najera and evans, but noc is a better offensive player than those two combined

My last post wasn't directed toward you b/c at least you agree that Nene would be a good fit.

Anyway, as for the deal you suggested, I would love it if that's all it would take to get him. However, I think the price would be higher than that. I think the deal you mentioned plus our 9th pick would probably get it done.

However, if the Bulls aren't willing to give up that pick, I think at least Thabo would have to be included in any trade talks. Maybe Thabo, Nocioni, Duhon.

That would leave the Bulls with the pick that they could then use to get Brewer/Conley if either player falls.
dasox24
QUOTE (eddog2 @ May 30 2007, 12:50 AM) *
I'd like to start off by asking how many people are real basketball fans or just Bulls fans. How many of you have even watched the guy play and seen how talented he is. I'm guessing not many of you after I read the posts. Nene is one of my favorite PF's in the league.

See, the problem I have with acquiring Nene is that if we add his contract, you can say goodbye to adding any other big name for years. We'll be well over the cap after giving Deng and probably Gordon (if he's not traded, and if we picked up Nene, BG would NOT be in that trade) their extensions, and as long as we're over the salary cap, we won't be able to give a big contract to anyone unless that player is already on our team (i.e. we drafted that player). I think this is the perfect time to add an impact player, but I'd rather that player be a Kobe or KG. Of course, a trade of that magnitude is not likely to occur, but I'd rather not become like the Knicks salary cap-wise with a bunch of Max (or close to) contracts b/c that what we'd have with Wallace, Hinrich, Nene, Deng, and Gordon. With that kind of money tied up, I don't see how our depth would be very good.
Steve9347
Nene's injury history makes me weary of going after him.
sport1016
Nene's injury history makes me weary of going after him.

Besides denver asking for too much even though they obviously have to more him, kmart, or camby this is my biggest (and maybe only) fear to making this deal

as eddog said, he's only 25, peak years for big men are 27-30 if I remember correctly, so he might not get to the amare, gasol, KG level, but he will get close enough. Assuming we still had gordon and Deng, we only need a complementary post player, not an all star. Nene could be that and more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.