Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would you draft Julian Wright?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Listen I know we have Deng secured at the 3 spot for sure for hopefully a very long time but I can't help but think all of the could be "star" type players are going to be at the 3 spot when it comes down to our pick. All the great forwards will undoubtabely be gone when the number 9 pick comes around so im asking. Is there any way we take a chance on a guy like Julian Wright or Thadeus Young or maybe even Corey Brewer if he falls to us?

I always think you take the best player available in a draft but it'd be hard not to draft a big since its our GLARING need. Whats your take on this?
ZoomSlowik
No. Unless we trade one or two of our current small forwards for an impact player, that is the last thing we need. This is ESPECIALLY true if that guy is Julian Wright or Thaddeus Young, both still need a fair amount of work before that can become big time contributors on the NBA level. Green doesn't really fit the bill either because he doesn't seem to have anywhere near the upside of those two, though he is a bit more polished.

I'd consider Brewer if he somehow fell (which he almost certainly won't it appears), he's considerably better offensively than the other options and can probably play 2-guard as well. That doesn't seem too likely though, and even if they aren't as talented someone like Hawes or Noah would have a greater impact on our wins/losses record since they fill a GLARING need. We need to add as many competent big men as we can...
Balta1701-B
Only if we already have a trade for a big man lined up somewhere.
SoxFan1
Yes...if we traded Deng, Nocioni, and Thomas.

Taking another SF would be incredibly dumb IMO. What is the need for a bunch of athletic players who can't score and create their own buckets? Tyrus Thomas pissed me off last year. Picking a clone would probably make me jump off the Sears Tower onto a football-sized bed of swords.

People need to realize that we are not the Grizzlies. We are not the Hawks. spiffy teams draft best available because they need all the help we can get. Good teams draft for need to complete the team. We are on the verge of dominance in the East. Why would we pick another project who can jump high? We don't need that. Stop trying to become the Hawks and try getting players who can put you over the top, not players who can potentially become really good if they work really hard on every aspect of their game. What's the use of all this athleticism if you're not even going to need it or use it.

Let's draft one of the Wright's, then trade Gordon for Josh Smith, then trade Hinrich (because he sucks and he's white) for his brother JR. Then our whole lineup could dunk on people!11!!!!111!!
eddog2
I think Wright is going to develop into a great player eventually but I don't think he's the right pick for us. However, if Brewer falls I'd have no problem with the Bulls picking him. Unlike Wright/Young he's going to be a stud defensively from day 1. He also is an improving outside threat.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jun 3 2007, 02:32 PM) *
I think Wright is going to develop into a great player eventually but I don't think he's the right pick for us. However, if Brewer falls I'd have no problem with the Bulls picking him. Unlike Wright/Young he's going to be a stud defensively from day 1. He also is an improving outside threat.

I agree with one caveat: Wright will likely be a near lock-down wing defender from the outset as well. He has incredible length and solid athleticism. However, defense isn't really a need for us unless they can easily play inside (which Wright can't). He's way too close to Tyrus for my liking on offense though, and it's even scarier because his best fit is at small forward...

If we were a crappy team that was at least 3 years away from contending and didn't have a borderline All-Star at small forward, I wouldn't be too pissed about taking Wright or Young. That's simply not the case though...
BG7
I agree. Julian Wright is not ready for the rigor of the NBA. He should've stayed at Kansas for another year for development. He isn't a scorer like Deng either. He could develop into a decent NBA small forward in 2 years, but the Bulls do not need any more athletic forwards. Deng and Nocioni both are far bigger contributors to our team, and Tyrus is already our "instant spark" off the bench.

The small forward position should be the last thing on our minds. What we really need is a low post scorer. My vote goes to Pau Gasol. We should do anything we can to get him.
madisonsmadhouse
Wright would be nice if we didn't already have huge depth at the position he plays, and a glaring hole elsewhere. The kid is going to be good, but he is just not a fit here at this time.
dasox24
QUOTE (BG7 @ Jun 4 2007, 12:45 AM) *
My vote goes to Pau Gasol. We should do anything we can to get him.

I don't know what it would take, but it would be high b/c Gasol has backed off his trade demands from earlier in the season, and has said he wants to stay b/c he likes the direction they're heading after hiring Ivoroni, having a high draft pick, and the owner has now taken the team off the market. I think him wanting to be traded was more of a plea for the Griz to add more talent, like Kobe just did. Gasol would be thought of as an even better player than he his now if Memphis were to add a defensive force down low and some more solid shooters on the wings. On offense it would open things up for him tremendously, and his defensive weaknesses would be covered up somewhat with, say, Marcus Camby next to him.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.