Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bulls looking to draft a guard??
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
soxfan3530
Could be interesting as long as we trade for a post player. Maybe duhon and either gordon/hinrich for someone like gasol? just throwing it out there. Would probably take less to get Randolph and definitely more to get KG.

[quote]Bigger backcourt clearly Bulls' aim
Pair of point guards among 1st workouts

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

June 7, 2007, 11:16 PM CDT

If general manager John Paxson didn't make matters clear enough recently when he first said Thabo Sefolosha needs to play more next season and then added the Bulls' smallish backcourt isn't ideal, try this on for size:

Thursday's first draft workout at the Berto Center featured Acie Law and Javaris Crittenton, two of the biggest point guards who will be available when teams make their picks June 28 in the NBA draft.

"Their backcourt, I think they want to add size to it," Crittenton said. "That could be an issue."

If Crittenton, the Georgia Tech freshman who was measured at 6 feet 4 3/4 inches, can see that, Chris Duhon might want to hope for a growth spurt.

Dealing the 6-1 Duhon in some package to address the Bulls' biggest need of a proven frontline player and then drafting Duhon's replacement is just one option the Bulls must consider.

By all accounts, Crittenton's matchup against Texas A & M senior Law, who stands 6-3 1/2 inches, was a spirited one.

"It was a very physical battle with two big point guards," Crittenton said.

Georgia Tech small forward Thaddeus Young and Massachusetts forward Stephane Lasme also participated, somewhat odd for an organization loaded with perimeter players.

"I was saying that myself, but they're short around the perimeter so I guess they're trying to get some bigger guys and build for the future," the 6-7 1/2 Young said.

All players noted the difficulty of the workout, which included individual testing for speed, agility and vertical jumping ability before they took the court.

"It was a very, very hard workout," Young said.

That's fitting for the very, very hard decision facing Paxson as he continues to mull options for his ninth overall pick. The Oregonian reported the Trail Blazers, who own the first overall pick, are trying to acquire a second pick in the first round, but Zach Randolph—a proven low-post scorer—has practice habits that give the Bulls pause.

Another option is drafting a big man with the ninth pick. Washington freshman Spencer Hawes arrived at the Berto Center on Thursday afternoon for interviews and psychological testing in advance of his high-profile workout with Florida's Joakim Noah on Friday.

The Bulls also had an unannounced workout involving power forwards projected for the second round. It included Purdue's Carl Landry, Maryland's Ekene Ibekwe and Arkansas-Little Rock's Rashad Jones-Jennings.

The Bulls have picks 49 and 51 in the second round.[quote]
ZoomSlowik
Teams work out EVERYBODY that is a potential pick at their spot, many that they have no interest in. I wouldn't read anything into it, though I suppose it is possible that they want to know what their options are in the draft if they get the opportunity to trade Kirk or Gordon for an elite big man...
madisonsmadhouse
Or the Bulls could be looking at trading the #9 pick for a big man and looking at a big guard later in the draft.
Bullseye
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jun 8 2007, 01:19 PM) *
Or the Bulls could be looking at trading the #9 pick for a big man and looking at a big guard later in the draft.

What's wrong with Thabo as our big guard?
dasox24
QUOTE (Bullseye @ Jun 10 2007, 08:47 PM) *
What's wrong with Thabo as our big guard?

Nothing at all. I like Thabo a lot, and don't see the rationale behind drafting a guy to be our "big" guard when we already have a "big" guard: a 6'7'' guard who can play damn good defense when he's on, and will only be better and more consistent next year. However, the Bulls just have to cover all the bases like any NBA team does.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.