Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chris Duhon on the trading block?
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
eddog2
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...bulls-headlines

I really think the Bulls are going to draft a PG if there aren't any prized big men left in the draft. I think the Bulls will definately be shopping Duhon, Nocioni, and maybe even Gordon to try and pick up that quality big man. A guy like Acie Law would probably fit offensively while a guy like Conley will fit if you want someone to lead your second unit for a year or two. (Since everyone thinks it will take that long for him to develop)
madisonsmadhouse
The Bulls would love to move Duhon to get bigger in the backcourt, they have been talking around it for a while now. The only way they draft a PG, however, is if they have a reasonable expectation for a trade or signing of a couple of big men.
heirdog
Drafting Conley and getting rid of Duhon does not increase the size of the back court...it remains the same. If we're seriously looking at Conley (which I doubt), then Kirk might be headed out (in a Garnett, Amare type deal) since you won't draft a player in the top 10 to be a back-up PG on your team.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (heirdog @ Jun 13 2007, 10:17 AM) *
Drafting Conley and getting rid of Duhon does not increase the size of the back court...it remains the same. If we're seriously looking at Conley (which I doubt), then Kirk might be headed out (in a Garnett, Amare type deal) since you won't draft a player in the top 10 to be a back-up PG on your team.

Drafting Conley as a backup point guard is about the stupidest idea I could think of.
Bullseye
I think Du and Noc could be headed on their way out in a trade for some sort of big man, but a PG with our 9th pick just to be a backup would be idiotic. I could see someone with the 49 or 51 picks though.
sport1016
they arent taking a point in the first round, plain and simple

they brought in conley and the other pgs for the same 2 reasons they brought in all those lottery SFs

1) To not make to totally obvious to other teams what we are gonna do
2) To make sure they dont see any top players who absolutely blow them away
dasox24
I wouldn't mind it if we traded Duhon and picked up another PG in the 2nd round like we did with him. Someone like Taurean Green from Florida or Aaron Brooks (assuming he fell to the 2nd and we could trade up to get him) from Oregon.
eddog2
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 13 2007, 12:24 PM) *
Drafting Conley as a backup point guard is about the stupidest idea I could think of.

Well, I wouldn't want him to be a backup but everyone on this site is so hung up on Hinrich and they don't think Conley will be that great. I think he'll be a lot better than Duhon. It wouldn't be so bad to have a starting PG in Kirk and a great backup PG in Conley. That way Conley isn't thrown to the wolves in his first couple of years. It would allow him to develop and possibly take the starting role in the future, or he would always be good trade bait if it came down to it.

However, as I posted, I think the only way that happens is if you get a big man that can start for us with the Duhon trade. A Duhon, Gordon, Nocioni trade could bring back a pretty good big man. Then you start Thabo & Hinrich draft either Conley or Acie Law (who's a better 3 point shooter) and you have a better & cheaper backup PG either way. But that only happens if you get your PF/C via trade.

Either that, or you could take another swing man like Brewer if he's available at 9. Brewer will definately be able to play the 2/3. With him you could go very big with a Deng/Thabo/Brewer lineup.
dasox24
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Duhon: No hard feelings if Bulls deal
Bulls guard keeps working, wants to remain with team

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

June 13, 2007, 11:16 PM CDT

Chris Duhon's Wednesday started with an e-mail from Bulls general manager John Paxson and continued with two workouts.

"That's the part I can control," Duhon said by phone. "I can't control trade rumors."

Nevertheless, despite Paxson's electronic reassurance that no specific talks have taken place, Duhon will be in them this summer for a variety of reasons.

He's a proven NBA rotation player. He owns an expiring contract. Certain incoming guards have impressed management, even as potential second-round picks, which, coincidentally, Duhon was in 2004.

"From where this organization was when I came here to where it is now, of course I want to be a part of that and see this through," Duhon said. "But if I did get traded, there would be no hard feelings. I understand it's a business."

In that same vein, in his season-ending exit interview with Paxson, Duhon expressed confusion over his late-season role. That included a "Did Not Play—Coach's Decision" in Game 3 of the Pistons series, which came on the heels of Duhon missing a team film session.

"I was disappointed because I felt I could've helped more," Duhon said. "Scott (Skiles) is a great coach who gave me my chance in the NBA. But there were times I felt I could've given Kirk (Hinrich) and BG (Ben Gordon) more of a breather."

Paxson has assured Duhon the glut of guards the Bulls have brought in for draft workouts is simply the team performing due diligence. The Bulls raised eyebrows by securing a Saturday workout with Ohio State's Mike Conley Jr., the top-rated point guard in the draft whom most observers figure to be gone by the ninth pick.

But Paxson has insisted at every opportunity the Bulls aren't necessarily locked in to drafting to fill their biggest need, a scoring big man.

Bringing Conley Jr. in is another example of the Bulls being prepared to draft the best player on the board—and then possibly addressing that biggest need after the draft via trade with current assets or ones acquired through the draft, or through free agency.

The Bulls are being equally diligent on their second-round picks. They brought to Chicago last week guard JamesOn Curry, the Oklahoma State junior who has yet to hire an agent and has until June 18 to withdraw from the draft.

Oklahoma State coach Sean Sutton has been quoted as saying Curry is 50-50 on the decision.

Curry, the leading scorer in North Carolina high school history, didn't work out but met with Paxson and Skiles for background interviews that are said to have gone well. Curry has a February 2004 arrest for selling marijuana to an undercover police officer.

Curry had his scholarship to North Carolina revoked. He was placed on three years' probation, which lapsed without incident in April, and ordered to perform 200 hours of community service.

The 6-foot-3-inch Curry, who, according to scouts, plays bigger because of his length, averaged 17.3 points on 45.2 percent shooting in his junior season. The Bulls are looking to add size to their backcourt.

•DePaul's Wilson Chandler withdrew from his scheduled Thursday draft workout at the Berto Center, citing an ankle problem.
GreatScott82
This upcoming draft will be very interesting for the Bulls. Because they have 2 to 3 options on how to improve down low in the post. This whole Conley thing has brought upon a new element to the draft. Here are some reasons:
Oden has stated numerous times that he really wants to play along side Conley for the rest of his career. They have been playing ball together since they were in the 6th grade. So if Conley drops down to the 9th pick, that means the talented big men would have likely been drafted by then (Noah, Hawes, and Yi Ji). So this provides an option for the Bulls to draft Conley and send the rights to him for Zach Randolph.
This will make the Blazers the pure team of the future with guys like Oden, Conley, Aldridge, and Roy. If somehow the Blazers can get Nocioni in the deal as well they just might have a chance at making the postseason next year.

Many are afraid because Zach Randolph has had his issues with the law over his career. However, he did go to Michigan St. just like Coach skiles and i truly believe Ben Wallace and Skiles can whip him into shape. Randolph is going into his 6th NBA season so he should be mature enough by now to move on and get a fresh start with his life.

Here are his 2006-07 stats:
23.6 ppg, 10.1 rpg, and a FT% of 81 which is excellent for a big man.

He would improve our team instantly and this way Pax wouldn't have to worry about drafting a younger big man such as Hawes or Yi Ji and wait for him to develop. Also w/ Nocioni's departure it would provide more minutes for both young stars Tyrus Thomas and Thabo Sefolosha.

I'm all for this deal as it would make sense for both teams as we don't really need to get younger while the Blazers can increase the young core of their super talented young team.

DO IT PAX!
Your 2007-08 Chicago Bulls:
Ben Wallace C
Zach Randolph PF
Luol Deng SF
Ben Gordon SG
Kirk Hinrich PG

Bench:
(re-sign)Brown, Duhon, Seflolsha, Griffin, Allen, Thomas, Kryhapa,
ZoomSlowik
Randolph makes $14 mil a year, we'd have to send several pieces in order to bring that no-D, low effort, off-the-court troublemaker to this team.

If that were to happen one of Skiles or Randolph probably wouldn't make it through the season.

And who the hell cares that they both went to MSU? Randolph was there for one year like 20 years after Skiles and that's supposed to make a difference?
taurus515th
Although Paxson said he wants a bigger backcourt, doesnt neccesarily mean he wants a bigger PG etc but it could possibly mean a bigger backcourt at the start of games like Hinrich and Sefolosha. I dont think how Gordon performs has anything to do with coming off the bench but think about it this way. We already know Hinrich is great on defense. If you add Sefolosha who has already shown good defense against guys like Wade and gets his opponents flustrated at the beginning of the games, having Gordon come in later while those tall SG's are flustrated will only help Gordons game when he comes in and causes them to pick up silly fouls etc. Pick up a guy like Randy Livingston as our backup PG.

Ive talked with Denver fans about Nene and they said they wont trade him but to me, i think its possible also since they are not GM's.

K-Mart is stuck there and to me trading Camby or Nene would be terrible too. One of them has to go and I really believe Nene has the better chance of being traded.

I can c Duhon, #9, 2nd rounders, sign and trade of Malik Allen working. It sounds like a bad trade for Denver but how many teams will take Nene's contract and give up a pick higher than ours for him without giving them a big contract back unless its expiring? With our pick maybe Denver will feel they can get a replacement for losing Nene.

or either Collison or Ely would help us out a lot.
Serbbojo
id rather take Yi or Hawes over Collison or Ely.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (Serbbojo @ Jun 17 2007, 03:49 PM) *
id rather take Yi or Hawes over Collison or Ely.

Considering that we need to find at least 2 big men this offseason, if not 3, I'd say that adding a player from both of those groups might not be a bad idea.
Serbbojo
yea but getting a big man will require that pick. Either we use it to draft a big man or we trade it to get a big man. I highly doubt we can have both
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Serbbojo @ Jun 17 2007, 08:19 PM) *
yea but getting a big man will require that pick. Either we use it to draft a big man or we trade it to get a big man. I highly doubt we can have both

We wouldn't need the pick to get guys like Collison or Ely, if that's what their respective teams think they can get they're sorely mistaken.

QUOTE (taurus515th @ Jun 17 2007, 04:51 PM) *
Although Paxson said he wants a bigger backcourt, doesnt neccesarily mean he wants a bigger PG etc but it could possibly mean a bigger backcourt at the start of games like Hinrich and Sefolosha. I dont think how Gordon performs has anything to do with coming off the bench but think about it this way. We already know Hinrich is great on defense. If you add Sefolosha who has already shown good defense against guys like Wade and gets his opponents flustrated at the beginning of the games, having Gordon come in later while those tall SG's are flustrated will only help Gordons game when he comes in and causes them to pick up silly fouls etc. Pick up a guy like Randy Livingston as our backup PG.

Ive talked with Denver fans about Nene and they said they wont trade him but to me, i think its possible also since they are not GM's.

K-Mart is stuck there and to me trading Camby or Nene would be terrible too. One of them has to go and I really believe Nene has the better chance of being traded.

I can c Duhon, #9, 2nd rounders, sign and trade of Malik Allen working. It sounds like a bad trade for Denver but how many teams will take Nene's contract and give up a pick higher than ours for him without giving them a big contract back unless its expiring? With our pick maybe Denver will feel they can get a replacement for losing Nene.

or either Collison or Ely would help us out a lot.

The contract isn't really that big an issue given that Nene is a big man that can actually play. Now that he looks reasonably healthy $10 mil a year doesn't look so bad for a guy like him (you could actually call it kind of reasonable given what guys like Wilcox and Pryzbilla make).

However, I don't see the teams ahead of the Bulls trading their picks to get him, though they may (in some cases they probably would) deal other attractive pieces to get him.
SoxFan1
Ely is a free agent and could possibly be had for the MLE. Others are Corliss Williamson, Antonio McDyess, Brian Skinner, Malik Rose, Kurt Thomas, Jamaal Magloire, or (prays) Darko Milicic.
GreatScott82
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 17 2007, 04:13 PM) *
Randolph makes $14 mil a year, we'd have to send several pieces in order to bring that no-D, low effort, off-the-court troublemaker to this team.

If that were to happen one of Skiles or Randolph probably wouldn't make it through the season.

And who the hell cares that they both went to MSU? Randolph was there for one year like 20 years after Skiles and that's supposed to make a difference?

His defense does need work but Ben Wallace can makeup for his lackluster defense just like Randolph can make up for Wallace's lackluster offense. And as far as the MSU thing goes.. I don't care and either does anybody else, but maybe Randolph and Skiles can create a possitive working environment because of it... who knows.... i was just throwing it out there.
Pax has pleanty of options and he has 9 days to figure out what he needs to do.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jun 18 2007, 05:38 AM) *
His defense does need work but Ben Wallace can makeup for his lackluster defense just like Randolph can make up for Wallace's lackluster offense. And as far as the MSU thing goes.. I don't care and either does anybody else, but maybe Randolph and Skiles can create a possitive working environment because of it... who knows.... i was just throwing it out there.
Pax has pleanty of options and he has 9 days to figure out what he needs to do.

Knowing Zach's history better than probably anyone else here, coaching isn't and has never been, the problem. Randolph has had some of the best coaches you can imagine, going all of the way back to his high school days at Marion, IN. His high school coach won a state title with Randolph and a runner up with out him. He also nearly pulled off a modern day "Hoosier's" by taking a class 2A team to an undefeated regular season, and took the eventual state champs down to the wire.

He also played for one of the best college coaches in the business at MSU, and if you believe the rumor mill, there was a reason that he only lasted one season under Tom Izzo.

My point is, if this kid hasn't grown up by now, its not going to happen all of the sudden. Its one thing if he had just made a mistake and was trying to learn from it, but this kid has been trouble his whole life. Adding Randolph to this team would be a huge mistake IMO.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 17 2007, 02:13 PM) *

Unless of course you give PJ Brown a fat one year deal. I don't know if he'd want to go to Portland but I bet you the Blazers would love to have a class guy like Brown around to work with a youngster like Oden plus the rest of that young core (Brandon Roy, Aldridge, etc).

I like Randolph but I seriously question his make-up and I don't know how it would work with the Bulls (Skiles/Pax are very peculiar about guys like this). I'd rather make a push at Gasol and I think there is a decent chance the Bulls can get that deal to work in the off-season.
dasox24
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18 2007, 12:04 PM) *
I'd rather make a push at Gasol and I think there is a decent chance the Bulls can get that deal to work in the off-season.

So would I... That is, of course, if we are sure we can't get Kobe from the Lakers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.