Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Theo Ratliff
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
eddog2
I know it's probably just talking out off my ass but I was wondering if the Bulls would have any interest in Theo Ratliff. I know he's getting older and has been plagued by injuries, but I wonder whether he'd be ready to play next year.

I think that trading for him and Rajon Rondo would be very smart for the Bulls. I think a Duhon/Nocioni trade would probably work. I'd love the defensive quick handed Rondo here on the Bulls (especially since he's wen to Kentucky). Ratliff would either be a very serviceable great defending big man who only has one year on his contract left, or he'd be a major trading piece with a big expiring $11 million contract. However, we know how that worked out last year.

Either way, I think the Bulls would come out ahead b/c they'd get Rondo who's better than Duhon. He can't shoot the 3 but he's a better player and he distributes the ball nicely. I really don't see Nocioni or Duhon as being in the Bulls future plans, so why not bring in Rondo and give the Celtics a backup PG and a good SF. I think Paxson would be hesitant to trade players to Boston.

We'd pick up Ratliff's contract and we'd have our 9th pick whoever that is. We could resign PJ and have our big man needs taken care of even if Ratliff is hurt. Then at the midway point, Paxson could evaluate whether or not it's best to make a major deal or keep everyone including whoever he drafted at 9. With Ratliff's contract he'd be able to keep Wallace and Hinrich and not have to worry about matching finances so much if he did try to land a blockbuster deal. He'd have Deng, Tyrus, Thabo, Gordon, Rondo, & the 9th pick as key trading pieces. Or if Ratliff is healthy he'd have 2 of the best defending big men in the league.

I think it would work out great for the Bulls.
Steve9347
I know you love Rondo... but I'm unwilling to deal a player like noc in a package that returns Ratliff. there's so many other options out there (and so many teams that would like a Nocioni), that I can't see wasting that resource on a Rondo/Ratliff package.
ZoomSlowik
Ratliff's biggest asset will be that his contract expires at the end of the year, either giving us some cap relief or possibly facilitating a big trade. He looks like he's done though, I wouldn't expect much on the court. 3 or 4 years ago I'd love to have had him.

As for Rondo, he'd be a pretty nice backup PG with some potential, but the Celtics appear fairly attached to him, especially with Telfair continuing to be a problem...
DutheDoduhon21
i like rondo too, but i like delonte west even more, he can fill it up sometimes, but neither will happen,
ldf
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jun 13 2007, 11:42 PM) *
I know it's probably just talking out off my ass but I was wondering if the Bulls would have any interest in Theo Ratliff. I know he's getting older and has been plagued by injuries, but I wonder whether he'd be ready to play next year.

We'd pick up Ratliff's contract and we'd have our 9th pick whoever that is. We could resign PJ and have our big man needs taken care of even if Ratliff is hurt. Then at the midway point, Paxson could evaluate whether or not it's best to make a major deal or keep everyone including whoever he drafted at 9. With Ratliff's contract he'd be able to keep Wallace and Hinrich and not have to worry about matching finances so much if he did try to land a blockbuster deal. He'd have Deng, Tyrus, Thabo, Gordon, Rondo, & the 9th pick as key trading pieces. Or if Ratliff is healthy he'd have 2 of the best defending big men in the league.

I think it would work out great for the Bulls.

i honestly think this talk is happening with boston. i got the feeling of this, this past week according to the boston herald discussion without mentioning teams.
Steve9347
QUOTE (ldf @ Jun 17 2007, 12:10 AM) *
i honestly think this talk is happening with boston. i got the feeling of this, this past week according to the boston herald discussion without mentioning teams.

It would be amazing if I predicted this spiff before it happened. Not to mention, I be ecstatic if they somehow got Rondo as part of the deal.
ldf
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jun 17 2007, 03:03 AM) *
It would be amazing if I predicted this spiff before it happened. Not to mention, I be ecstatic if they somehow got Rondo as part of the deal.

i really don't know how this salary cap goes and with expiring contracts and all. with that disclaimer, my take is that bost is way of the salary cap and would like a relief in some way. in order to address other trade and/or needs. rumors has it with r lewis and/or s marion as possible future traded players.

so here is what i am reading into the article. theo and his salary gets traded or wally and his huge contract. theo has 1 yr left at close to 12.7 mil and wally szczerbiak has 2 yrs left with 12 mil and 13 mil respectfully. your player rondo has several yrs at 1.4 mil thru 3 mil. which is an affordable contract in anyone eyes. i don't see them trading rondo.

so here is the scenario can the bulls trade the expiring contract of pj brown and someone else to make up the salary difference of theo? with the switching of draft picks as the prize.
eddog2
QUOTE (ldf @ Jun 17 2007, 04:11 AM) *
i really don't know how this salary cap goes and with expiring contracts and all. with that disclaimer, my take is that bost is way of the salary cap and would like a relief in some way. in order to address other trade and/or needs. rumors has it with r lewis and/or s marion as possible future traded players.

so here is what i am reading into the article. theo and his salary gets traded or wally and his huge contract. theo has 1 yr left at close to 12.7 mil and wally szczerbiak has 2 yrs left with 12 mil and 13 mil respectfully. your player rondo has several yrs at 1.4 mil thru 3 mil. which is an affordable contract in anyone eyes. i don't see them trading rondo.

so here is the scenario can the bulls trade the expiring contract of pj brown and someone else to make up the salary difference of theo? with the switching of draft picks as the prize.

First of all, I think you are missing the point. We don't want to trade for Theo as a solution to our big man problem. It would be great to do the switching of picks but I don't think PJ is the solution for that one.

Theo was just something where if he was healthy it would be great but even if hurt he comes off the books before Deng and Gordon's extensions in 2008-2009. Anyway, in terms of Rondo's contract, that is great for Boston but to get some pieces in this league you have to give up young players sometimes. That's what Rondo is. You're not going to be able to trade Ratliff and nobody and bring in some super talented player/s.

Rondo would be a good fit in Chicago. The whole reason for the post was to try and say that I think we should really trade Duhon & Nocioni for a big expiring contract and a very good young player. It doesn't have to be Rondo but I'd love it if we traded for him. I just think we need to bring something decent back to Chicago for both of them b/c I really don't see how either fits in to the Bulls future plans. It would be great to keep Nocioni, but I think he's going to price himself out of our budget and we are either going to sign and trade him or sign him for more than we wanted and trade him as part of any package at the trade deadline this year. Either way, unless he takes under market value, I don't see him being a member of the Bulls in 2008-09.
madisonsmadhouse
Ratliff would be nice if we found a real starting big man... that's about it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.