Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gooden could join bulls
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
DutheDoduhon21
Cavs' Gooden could join Bulls
Posted: Monday June 18, 2007 06:19AM ET
The Cavs have salary-cap issues and might be unable to re-sign Anderson Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic, two of their top six players. Don't be surprised to see them offering Drew Gooden, and he could end up with the Bulls, reuniting with college teammate Kirk Hinrich. Gooden, not Nick Collison, is the fellow former Kansas player more likely to join Hinrich.

that would be a good move, i think it would improve kirks play alot.
madisonsmadhouse
FWIW< this is Sam Smith speculation, so I wouldn't get too excited.
Steve9347
sam smith speculation... when has he ever been right?

anyway, that would look solid

C Wallace
PF Gooden
SF Deng
SG Kobe
PG Kirk

hahaha, yeah right.
ZoomSlowik
Not a bad idea, he definitely qualifies as a capable big man. He's not quite a difference maker because of his inconsistency (effort and defense contribute to that), but he's athletic and will occasionally give you a dominant performance.

I wonder what the price would be though. Nocioni makes a lot of sense, sign him for like $6 mil so they save a little cash while giving them someone that can actually hit an open shot when Lebron passes. Sounds like they might want to save more money though, meaning maybe it'd be like Duhon and the 2nd rounders or a future 1st or something...
Steve9347
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 18 2007, 01:18 PM) *
Not a bad idea, he definitely qualifies as a capable big man. He's not quite a difference maker because of his inconsistency (effort and defense contribute to that), but he's athletic and will occasionally give you a dominant performance.

I wonder what the price would be though. Nocioni makes a lot of sense, sign him for like $6 mil so they save a little cash while giving them someone that can actually hit an open shot when Lebron passes. Sounds like they might want to save more money though, meaning maybe it'd be like Duhon and the 2nd rounders or a future 1st or something...

I'm thinking Noc for him straight up would be fair, but they are trying to move him for cash... so it'd probably be a couple of 2nds and/or Duhon.

edit: helps to read your whole post, lol... i pretty much said what you said.
madisonsmadhouse
If they are looking at this as a salary dump, we could re-sign PJ Brown to a one year deal, and include a #1 draft pick in 08 or 09 to make the deal work.
Steve9347
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jun 18 2007, 01:35 PM) *
If they are looking at this as a salary dump, we could re-sign PJ Brown to a one year deal, and include a #1 draft pick in 08 or 09 to make the deal work.

Yeah, but PJ needs to go to Washington in the 3-team Kobe deal!
SoxFan1
As long as he gets rid of that gay ass patch on the back of his head.
Balta1701-B
If he's our 4th or 5th big guy, ok. But he shouldn't be our 3rd or 2nd. Not with that #9 pick in our hands.
DutheDoduhon21
As long as he gets rid of that gay ass patch on the back of his head

^^^^^^^
sport1016
If we could get him without the #9 we would have a great big man rotation

Tyrus/gooden
Wallace/Pick

That'd be nice no matter whether we get Hawes or NOah
SoxFan1
Gooden should start over Thomas, but I certainly wouldn't complain about Gooden/Tyrus at PF and Wallace/Hawes at C.
Chisoxfn
I'd assume the Cavs would have some serious interest in Chris Duhon (I know they have in the past). Would a package involving Duhon and a second round pick be enough (are the Cavs that interested in moving Gooden's contract...would it even work cap wise)?

I'd definitely be a fan of picking him up. Gooden isn't a star, but he would be good enough to force opposing defenses to respect the low post game and with Tyrus and Ben Wallace both being defensive studs (Tyrus still developing but he is gonna be some kind of defensive player) I'm not as concerned about the lack of defense Gooden plays.

QUOTE (sport1016 @ Jun 18 2007, 01:58 PM) *
If we could get him without the #9 we would have a great big man rotation

Tyrus/gooden
Wallace/Pick

That'd be nice no matter whether we get Hawes or NOah

Agreed...that would be real nice. Spencer Hawes and Ben Wallace down low with Gooden/Tyrus Thomas at the 4.
taurus515th
im not that big on Gooden. Last season Paxson even pasted up the opportunity of getting him. He would be much better than any free agent tho. But id put trying to get guys like Collison or Nene, etc b4 getting him.

He would be a nice guy to have off the bench if we could also get Collison for cheap.

PG-Hinrich/........
SG-Gordon/Sefolosha
SF-Deng/Nocioni/Griffin
PF-Collison/Thomas/Brown
C-Wallace/Gooden

Collison is probably better than any post-player we could land at the 9th pick imo and we already know what Collison will bring because hes played a few season in the NBA. I dont know about u but i dont trust a rookie post-player to preform as much as we would want him 2 do in the play-offs because Skiles wont let him get much time anyways during the regular season and a lot more others reasons.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (taurus515th @ Jun 18 2007, 02:42 PM) *
im not that big on Gooden. Last season Paxson even pasted up the opportunity of getting him. He would be much better than any free agent tho. But id put trying to get guys like Collison or Nene, etc b4 getting him.

How much cap space did Pax have last summer after signing Big Ben?
taurus515th
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 18 2007, 04:46 PM) *
How much cap space did Pax have last summer after signing Big Ben?

yea thats true.
TeaLeafReaderII
He would never play for the Bulls... he likes his head band so much he has a growth on the back of his neck to support it.
GreatScott82
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Jun 18 2007, 06:07 PM) *
He would never play for the Bulls... he likes his head band so much he has a growth on the back of his neck to support it.

lol bang.gif is what is that? Is he bringing back those ugly pony tails of the 80's or is that part of his culture?
eddog2
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 18 2007, 01:18 PM) *

Drew Gooden only makes $6.4 million next year so I don't think signing Nocioni at $6 million and trading for Gooden will be in the Cavs best financial interests or in their interest in general. I would love to have Gooden but the only way that's going to happen is if we trade them something like Duhon and Sweetney and throw in some kind of cash. Personally, I don't want Sefolosha going anywhere. He's only going to get better.

The Cavs are in real bad financial shape b/c they have Hughes and Ilguaskas signed up for 3 more seasons at more than $10-13 million per season. That just sucks especially when those players are either always injured or becoming less effective each year. Not to mention they will have to resign Gibson after next year.

I really think they are going to look for another team to try and take either Hughes or Ilguaskas off their hands as part of a Gooden deal. It's the only way they'd be able to afford a good free agent in the next couple of seasons that Lebron has left on his contract.
ChWRoCk2
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 18 2007, 03:10 PM) *
As long as he gets rid of that gay ass patch on the back of his head.

Haha thats the first thing I thought of too when I saw this thread.

Getting Gooden would be fine with me, then I would love to take a player like Brewer for sure.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Jun 18 2007, 08:09 PM) *
Haha thats the first thing I thought of too when I saw this thread.

Getting Gooden would be fine with me, then I would love to take a player like Brewer for sure.

I'd still go with Hawes, Smith, Noah, or Jianlian to really solidify that frontcourt for the future.
eddog2
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 18 2007, 11:26 PM) *
I'd still go with Hawes, Smith, Noah, or Jianlian to really solidify that frontcourt for the future.

For once, I'd probably have to agree with you. If we don't get a superstar PF/C via a trade and we end up with Gooden who is a serviceable starter but nothing spectacular, I think we should definately draft one of the 4 players you listed. I'd have no problem drafting Noah at 9 if we already had Gooden. We need that defensive energy spark plug once Wallace retires. That's what Noah is.

I also wouldn't mind taking Hawes at nine if we already have Gooden. My beef with taking Hawes 9 overall would be if we didn't have a PF to start. I don't think he'll be ready to start for a couple of seasons and under this scenario that works great. Hopefully by the time Wallace's contract is up, Hawes would be ready to start and really make his impact at the center position.

Either way, if Gooden can be had at a very cheap price, I'd love it. It would give the Bulls that many more options come draft day. Would Duhon, Khryapa, & 2 second rounders do the trick? Or even just Duhon and Sweetney (whose contracts would expire)?
sport1016
is it going to be hard to include Khryapa in a trade to Cleveland after lebron abused him in that game near the end of the season for Victor's worst minute of the season?
SoxFan1
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jun 18 2007, 11:34 PM) *
For once, I'd probably have to agree with you. If we don't get a superstar PF/C via a trade and we end up with Gooden who is a serviceable starter but nothing spectacular, I think we should definately draft one of the 4 players you listed. I'd have no problem drafting Noah at 9 if we already had Gooden. We need that defensive energy spark plug once Wallace retires. That's what Noah is.

I also wouldn't mind taking Hawes at nine if we already have Gooden. My beef with taking Hawes 9 overall would be if we didn't have a PF to start. I don't think he'll be ready to start for a couple of seasons and under this scenario that works great. Hopefully by the time Wallace's contract is up, Hawes would be ready to start and really make his impact at the center position.

Either way, if Gooden can be had at a very cheap price, I'd love it. It would give the Bulls that many more options come draft day. Would Duhon, Khryapa, & 2 second rounders do the trick? Or even just Duhon and Sweetney (whose contracts would expire)?

ohmy.gif wink.gif
soxfan101
As already mentioned he would have to get rid of that gay ass patch on the back of his head, it looks so ridiculous and I cant stand it tongue.gif.

I wouldnt mind a Duhon and a future first for him though. Than from what im hearing we have told JamesOn Curry we would draft him in the 2nd round which would fill the backup guard need left by Duhon and with the 9th pick hopefully Hawes or Yi fall to us.... if not than I guess Noah.
Iguana
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 18 2007, 04:36 PM) *
I'd assume the Cavs would have some serious interest in Chris Duhon (I know they have in the past). Would a package involving Duhon and a second round pick be enough (are the Cavs that interested in moving Gooden's contract...would it even work cap wise)?

I'd definitely be a fan of picking him up. Gooden isn't a star, but he would be good enough to force opposing defenses to respect the low post game and with Tyrus and Ben Wallace both being defensive studs (Tyrus still developing but he is gonna be some kind of defensive player) I'm not as concerned about the lack of defense Gooden plays.
Agreed...that would be real nice. Spencer Hawes and Ben Wallace down low with Gooden/Tyrus Thomas at the 4.

Yes it is. it would be a real nice front line.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jun 18 2007, 07:46 PM) *
Drew Gooden only makes $6.4 million next year so I don't think signing Nocioni at $6 million and trading for Gooden will be in the Cavs best financial interests or in their interest in general. I would love to have Gooden but the only way that's going to happen is if we trade them something like Duhon and Sweetney and throw in some kind of cash. Personally, I don't want Sefolosha going anywhere. He's only going to get better.

The Cavs are in real bad financial shape b/c they have Hughes and Ilguaskas signed up for 3 more seasons at more than $10-13 million per season. That just sucks especially when those players are either always injured or becoming less effective each year. Not to mention they will have to resign Gibson after next year.

I really think they are going to look for another team to try and take either Hughes or Ilguaskas off their hands as part of a Gooden deal. It's the only way they'd be able to afford a good free agent in the next couple of seasons that Lebron has left on his contract.

Hmm, must be like $10 mil the next year then, because he has 2 years and $16 mil left...

Duhon and Sweetney wouldn't be the end of the world (though unless I'm mistaken the latter is a FA now). Obviously I wouldn't deal Sef to get him.

They're going to have a hell of a time trying to move Hughes or Ilguaskas, they're grossly overpaid. Hughes has 3 years and just over $45 mil left on his deal, and Ilgauskas has 3 years and $32 mil left on the deal. I can't see them dumping one of those guys AND Gooden in the same trade cause that'd be like $15 mil minimum in salary they'd have to take back, and they'd likely have to add someone else to get any real talent. The best they might be able to hope for is getting a large expiring contract (though it'd hurt next year, someone like Theo Ratliff could GREATLY improve their future cap situation).
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.