Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oberto opts out
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
Balta1701-B
Starting center for the Spurs Fabricio Oberto has opted out of his deal. He had an option to make $2.5 million this season.

I dunno, but I wouldn't mind this as a pickup for my 4th big guy. He's 6'10, 32 years old, an international competition veteran, would probably work well with Noc, has a ring, and should be signable for less than the full MLE that we have to play with.

Wallace, TT, Hawes, Oberto, Brown? That takes us from a pretty shallow front court to a really deep one.
SoxFan1
I'd much rather try my best to get Milicic, Ely, or McDyess.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 25 2007, 02:53 PM) *
I'd much rather try my best to get Milicic, Ely, or McDyess.

Milicic will not be available for the MLE. I just can't imagine that happening. Sign and trade maybe, but I have no idea why Orlando would give him up when they're short on big men and without a first round pick.

I like the latter 2 as options, but the question is whether they'll go for the MLE or someone will have the $ to offer them more. If my options are someone like Oberto with the MLE or losing Nocioni in a sign and trade to get one of those other guys, I'll take the guy at the MLE and hold onto Noc.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 25 2007, 05:00 PM) *
Milicic will not be available for the MLE. I just can't imagine that happening. Sign and trade maybe, but I have no idea why Orlando would give him up when they're short on big men and without a first round pick.

I like the latter 2 as options, but the question is whether they'll go for the MLE or someone will have the $ to offer them more. If my options are someone like Oberto with the MLE or losing Nocioni in a sign and trade to get one of those other guys, I'll take the guy at the MLE and hold onto Noc.

My dream scenario (w/o trades) would be drafting Hawes and signing Milicic or Ely to the MLE.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 25 2007, 03:04 PM) *
My dream scenario (w/o trades) would be drafting Hawes and signing Milicic or Ely to the MLE.

At least all of the rumors I've read seem to have Milicic making something like $8-$9 mil with Orlando next season.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 25 2007, 05:52 PM) *
At least all of the rumors I've read seem to have Milicic making something like $8-$9 mil with Orlando next season.

Can you link me up to some? Because I've yet to see anything on Milicic.
ZoomSlowik
Milicic just turned 22, is big and athletic, has finally started to look reasonably competent, and has name recognition. I'd be very surprised if all he gets is the MLE. I could probably find some stuff if I wasn't so lazy, but it'd be ESPN Insider stuff, so not sure how useful that would be...

I'd personally pass on Oberto. For one, he's already 32. Secondly, role players off teams that just won a title tend to get grossly overpaid. He's really not THAT good, I would think we could do at least a little better than 4.4 points and 4.7 rebounds with our MLE. As a last resort fine, but there have got to be better options.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 25 2007, 04:12 PM) *
Can you link me up to some? Because I've yet to see anything on Milicic.

I believe the qualifying offer to Darko, so that the Magic can match anything he's offered, is $6.9 mil. So presumably, anyone wanting to sign him is going to have to beat that offer, because he'd make that next year if he just played out the 1 year deal.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jun 25 2007, 06:22 PM) *
I believe the qualifying offer to Darko, so that the Magic can match anything he's offered, is $6.9 mil. So presumably, anyone wanting to sign him is going to have to beat that offer, because he'd make that next year if he just played out the 1 year deal.

Damn. There goes my dream. Thanks Balta.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jun 25 2007, 06:50 PM) *
Damn. There goes my dream. Thanks Balta.

Ruining people's dreams is what I'm best at.
madisonsmadhouse
Oberto resigned with San Antonio
dasox24
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 19 2007, 09:46 AM) *
Oberto resigned with San Antonio

Probably smart for Oberto to just re-sign. There's a certain comfort level in SA for him and they did just win a Championship. I imagine he was probably looking at Chicago (since we have Noc) pretty hard until we signed Smith.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 19 2007, 08:56 AM) *
Probably smart for Oberto to just re-sign. There's a certain comfort level in SA for him and they did just win a Championship. I imagine he was probably looking at Chicago (since we have Noc) pretty hard until we signed Smith.

I'd much rather have Smith and Noc than Oberto. Seeing what we got, I'm fairly content.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.