Class:
Junior
Ht:
6-11
Wt:
College Team:
Florida
BG7
I still say Joakim Noah. Even though Hawes has a more defined post skill set, you simply cannot weigh that over Joakim's extremely rare level of experience. Any college player who was a key ingredient to his/her team's back-to-back NCAA championships is difficult to pass up in any NBA draft.

Combine his deep experience with the energy and hustle play that he has and his hatred of losing, and you have a very safe pick. You simply cannot pass up a player who was pretty much the face of college basketball other than Durant and Oden, compared to a college freshman who has nowhere near the same level of experience as Joakim Noah.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (BG7 @ Jul 1 2007, 08:12 PM) *
I still say Joakim Noah. Even though Hawes has a more defined post skill set, you simply cannot weigh that over Joakim's extremely rare level of experience. Any college player who was a key ingredient to his/her team's back-to-back NCAA championships is difficult to pass up in any NBA draft.

Combine his deep experience with the energy and hustle play that he has and his hatred of losing, and you have a very safe pick. You simply cannot pass up a player who was pretty much the face of college basketball other than Durant and Oden, compared to a college freshman who has nowhere near the same level of experience as Joakim Noah.

Yeah I'd rather have Noah after thinking about it more. He has that experience you would like all rookies to have but few do. He's an energetc athletic kid but is extremely raw on offense, one could argue even worse than Tyrus. In fact if Thomas starts, Noah will most likely take the place of Tyrus last year with the "Energy and that spark" to get the team going. I expect that he will play way more minutes than Tyrus did last year because he is a "smart" player who doesn't make alot of mistakes. He's also a great passer, sounds like "Skiles" type of player.
dasox24
Well, I put Hawes b/c at the time that's who I wanted. But, after these last couple days, I'm happier with the Noah selection. Maybe it's just the positive media spin put on our selection, but I do think now that Noah was the better selection at our pick. I also think (and this may be most important) that he's more valuable if a trade were to happen.
eddog2
I'd definately take Noah over Hawes and I'm glad the Bulls did. With Noah you know exactly what you are going to get. You may not get a player that dominates offensively, but you'll get a guy who lays it all on the line night in and night out. He'll rebound on the defensive end, play good defense, and he'll try and attack the glass on offense to get some easy putbacks.

With Hawes you don't know what you are going to get. He may develop into a great NBA post scorer but I think his defense will always be suspect. Not to mention he didn't dominate the boards in his 1st year. I think I'd rather have a great defensive option than a guy who "may" be a good post scorer in the NBA but lacks the discipline to be a good defender.

A Noah/Wallace/Tyrus lineup on defense is going to create offense for the Bulls. I wouldn't be surprised if we led the league in blocks with that lineup. I'm sure Gordon/Deng/&Hinrich will be able to handle most of the scoring again this year. They all should be better players next year (though Kirk always seems to let me down in terms of his progression but we'll save that for another day).

With that said, it wouldn't hurt to add a player that can score in the post. Maybe Chris Webber could work though I doubt they'd go that way. Other than that, Mikki Moore, Antonio McDyess, & Bonzi Wells are probably the only players that make sense in terms of free agents that possibly are better offensive options than what we have in the post. However, Wells is probably not even going to command a call from Paxson.

I also heard that 20 teams have called to inquire about sign and trade deals for Rashard Lewis. I highly doubt we'd pull anything off with him but it would be nice to try. If he could play the 2 guard we'd be very dangerous. Probably a lot to win it all.
ZoomSlowik
I honestly don't have a strong feeling either way. I think Hawes is a better fit for our needs, but his lack of athleticism is an issue, and though I tend to think it won't happen it's possible that makes him an absolute stiff. On the other hand, Noah doesn't help our scoring, but with his length, athleticism, and energy he'll be a positive influence, even if he never becomes an impact player.

Neither is a perfect solution, but I would have been reasonably happy with either.
urlacher1285
nobody knew who Spencer Hawes was until the draft started. No articles about him in ESPN or anything. To me Noah has
A. Better defense
B. Way more experience
C. More potential

This to me is way more important for a rookie than maybe a "raw" type of player. If you look at all the draft grades, we have at least a B (draftexpress A+) because we took the best player. If Noah came out last year, we would of taken him over Tyrus Thomas for sure. He has pretty much the same season as his Sophmore year but he is outshined by Al Horford and Corey Brewer. Who cares? that is not the type of player he is. I'm happy with the pick and lock forward for Tyrus, Joakim and Ben fighting for rebounds. We are going to be a big physical team.

BTW I think Tyrus is going to be amazing one day. It is not often I drop everything I'm doing just to see this guy play.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (urlacher1285 @ Jul 2 2007, 12:26 AM) *
nobody knew who Spencer Hawes was until the draft started. No articles about him in ESPN or anything. To me Noah has
A. Better defense
B. Way more experience
C. More potential

This to me is way more important for a rookie than maybe a "raw" type of player. If you look at all the draft grades, we have at least a B (draftexpress A+) because we took the best player. If Noah came out last year, we would of taken him over Tyrus Thomas for sure. He has pretty much the same season as his Sophmore year but he is outshined by Al Horford and Corey Brewer. Who cares? that is not the type of player he is. I'm happy with the pick and lock forward for Tyrus, Joakim and Ben fighting for rebounds. We are going to be a big physical team.
BTW I think Tyrus is going to be amazing one day. It is not often I drop everything I'm doing just to see this guy play.

Funny you mention that about Tyrus, because nobody knew about him until the Elite 8. Tyrus was picked #4 last year and if he was in the draft this year, he probably would have fell lower than Wright, Yi, Noah, and Hawes. And if we keep TT, Ben, and Noah on this roster, we will have the 3 most inept scoring big men in the NBA. And please dont bring up draft grades. The Bears got A's for drafting Cade McNown too.

But for this poll I picked Hawes, and I think everybody already knows why.

And finally, you mention you stop everything so you can watch Tyrus when he comes in. I'm the opposite. On numerous occasions, I've changed the channel in sheer rage and frustration after watching him play for more than a minute.
soxfan101
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2 2007, 02:09 AM) *
Funny you mention that about Tyrus, because nobody knew about him until the Elite 8. Tyrus was picked #4 last year and if he was in the draft this year, he probably would have fell lower than Wright, Yi, Noah, and Hawes. And if we keep TT, Ben, and Noah on this roster, we will have the 3 most inept scoring big men in the NBA. And please dont bring up draft grades. The Bears got A's for drafting Cade McNown too.

But for this poll I picked Hawes, and I think everybody already knows why.

And finally, you mention you stop everything so you can watch Tyrus when he comes in. I'm the opposite. On numerous occasions, I've changed the channel in sheer rage and frustration after watching him play for more than a minute.

Thats the difference between Tyrus and Hawes though, Tyrus made a name for himself on the biggest stage against the best teams, Hawes lost the first game of the tournament. And really you hate Tyrus more than anyone else for some unknown reason, even Zoom/chisoxfan really like Tyrus but for some reason you have some weird hate for him unknown to man.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jul 2 2007, 02:42 AM) *
Thats the difference between Tyrus and Hawes though, Tyrus made a name for himself on the biggest stage against the best teams, Hawes lost the first game of the tournament. And really you hate Tyrus more than anyone else for some unknown reason, even Zoom/chisoxfan really like Tyrus but for some reason you have some weird hate for him unknown to man.

I don't really hate him per se, it's more of an accumulation of things since the tourney the year he got drafted. He blew up because of some great play in the tourney, then was getting all this praise, when he really has little basketball skill. He relies on athleticism for 99% of his game, and that just doesn't cut it.

I love that people come on here and say he has something special or that he is going to be a superstar, but they have no clue why, When I watch Tyrus Thomas play, I see great athleticism, but little skill, and even less control of the energy he possesses. I don't know how many times I've seen him try to make a move with the ball by putting it on the floor and getting a charge. Or how many silly fouls he gets. Or all the bad passes. What pisses me off most is when he sets up shop at the foul line and calls for the ball. LMAO. Get some game first before your calling for the ball and begging your teammates to give it to you.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns into the next Shawn Marion, but I just don't see it happening. People want to give him the starting PF spot already. Whats next? MVP 10 games into the season? Its just the ridiculous praise he gets and the way he carries himself that I don't like. The dunk contest comments were the icing on the cake.

I dont know if I've ever seen so much hype for a guy that averages about the same # of fouls and/or turnovers as points and/or rebounds. And just to add, I dislike Thomas much less than eddog dislikes Hinrich.
Rowand44
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jul 2 2007, 02:42 AM) *

You might wanna go double check that, buddy.
madisonsmadhouse
I would have gone with Hawes because he better fills the Bulls biggest need of a big man who can score on the block.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2 2007, 03:25 AM) *
I don't really hate him per se, it's more of an accumulation of things since the tourney the year he got drafted. He blew up because of some great play in the tourney, then was getting all this praise, when he really has little basketball skill. He relies on athleticism for 99% of his game, and that just doesn't cut it.

I love that people come on here and say he has something special or that he is going to be a superstar, but they have no clue why, When I watch Tyrus Thomas play, I see great athleticism, but little skill, and even less control of the energy he possesses. I don't know how many times I've seen him try to make a move with the ball by putting it on the floor and getting a charge. Or how many silly fouls he gets. Or all the bad passes. What pisses me off most is when he sets up shop at the foul line and calls for the ball. LMAO. Get some game first before your calling for the ball and begging your teammates to give it to you.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he turns into the next Shawn Marion, but I just don't see it happening. People want to give him the starting PF spot already. Whats next? MVP 10 games into the season? Its just the ridiculous praise he gets and the way he carries himself that I don't like. The dunk contest comments were the icing on the cake.

I dont know if I've ever seen so much hype for a guy that averages about the same # of fouls and/or turnovers as points and/or rebounds. And just to add, I dislike Thomas much less than eddog dislikes Hinrich.

I love Tyrus Thomas, he has all the athletiscm but his potential is limitless which makes it that much more exciting to watch him. Is he going to live up to it or will he be a bust? I know when he does bad things im not stupid, I know he turns the ball over a countless number of times, he's not a smart player but I expect that from a 20 year old rookie who just decided to pick up a basketball his sophomore year in highschool. He was picked to go to LSU because of his athletiscm. He demonstrated that he can raise the level of his game when it counts the most hence the tourney. The awesome tournament made every analyst think he would be something special in the NBA if he plays like that.

I want to wait and see weather Tyrus develops parts of his game that will make him be the best player he can be. But you know, when he steps in the game he can provide excitement which is what you want to see in an NBA game. I can't tell you how boring it was to watch the Bulls sometimes when nothing jaw dropping was happening or something that was exciting. Tyrus does that and it brings some joy back into watching the Bulls when Jordan played. No, im not comparing Tyrus to Jordan.

You can say all you want, "Athletiscm doesn't win championships", which history tells us it doesn't but having a few players on the team that have that wouldn't hurt. Wait and see how he improves in the next year or 2 because I have a feeling he's going to amount to "something" good, I don't know about superstar but I think he will prove alot of the haters out there wrong.
Chisoxfn
I think Hawes will be the better scorer, but Noah is a fantastic athlete that fits in the system better (his athletism is a much better fit for the high octane offense the Bulls run).

Personally I think Brandon Wright or Yi would have been tops on my list but aside from that I didn't think the potential scoring big man was available with the Bulls pick so instead they went with the athletic guy that gives the Bulls more length and could potentially replace Ben Wallace in a year or two or get moved to another team.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 2 2007, 12:50 PM) *
I love Tyrus Thomas, he has all the athletiscm but his potential is limitless which makes it that much more exciting to watch him. Is he going to live up to it or will he be a bust? I know when he does bad things im not stupid, I know he turns the ball over a countless number of times, he's not a smart player but I expect that from a 20 year old rookie who just decided to pick up a basketball his sophomore year in highschool. He was picked to go to LSU because of his athletiscm. He demonstrated that he can raise the level of his game when it counts the most hence the tourney. The awesome tournament made every analyst think he would be something special in the NBA if he plays like that.

I want to wait and see weather Tyrus develops parts of his game that will make him be the best player he can be. But you know, when he steps in the game he can provide excitement which is what you want to see in an NBA game. I can't tell you how boring it was to watch the Bulls sometimes when nothing jaw dropping was happening or something that was exciting. Tyrus does that and it brings some joy back into watching the Bulls when Jordan played. No, im not comparing Tyrus to Jordan.

You can say all you want, "Athletiscm doesn't win championships", which history tells us it doesn't but having a few players on the team that have that wouldn't hurt. Wait and see how he improves in the next year or 2 because I have a feeling he's going to amount to "something" good, I don't know about superstar but I think he will prove alot of the haters out there wrong.

I'll gladly take a guy like PJ Brown or Corliss Williamson who plays the game right, contributes more, is a team leader, and is "boring" than the guy who jumps high, turns the ball over, and is exciting.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2 2007, 03:01 PM) *
I'll gladly take a guy like PJ Brown or Corliss Williamson who plays the game right, contributes more, is a team leader, and is "boring" than the guy who jumps high, turns the ball over, and is exciting.

Tyrus does play the game right; exuse me but is being athletic a sin for basketball? You act like we can't have fun watching Bulls games. Im sorry but Kirk Hinrich, PJ Brown, or Ben Gordon don't make a game overly exciting to watch. Tyrus does and Joakim might. When he matures I expect him to be a smarter player, you have to give him time. We can win games but its more fun to watch a game when you have a player like Tyrus contribute in the win. When he becomes a better player he can be good and make jaw dropping plays at the same time!
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 2 2007, 03:07 PM) *
Tyrus does play the game right; exuse me but is being athletic a sin for basketball? You act like we can't have fun watching Bulls games. Im sorry but Kirk Hinrich, PJ Brown, or Ben Gordon don't make a game overly exciting to watch. Tyrus does and Joakim might. When he matures I expect him to be a smarter player, you have to give him time. We can win games but its more fun to watch a game when you have a player like Tyrus contribute in the win. When he becomes a better player he can be good and make jaw dropping plays at the same time!

So your saying having an exciting team is better than having a winning team? You should be a Hawks fan.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2 2007, 03:13 PM) *
So your saying having an exciting team is better than having a winning team? You should be a Hawks fan.

No, I said I'd rather watch a winning team with an exciting player like Tyrus produce. It makes the win feel that much better tongue.gif
Wanne
One other thing I thought about that gives the edge to Noah...he's a VALUABLE trading chip to have. Hell...the Suns tried trading up to #8 to grab him...so he is valued around the league somewhat.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 2 2007, 03:46 PM) *
One other thing I thought about that gives the edge to Noah...he's a VALUABLE trading chip to have. Hell...the Suns tried trading up to #8 to grab him...so he is valued around the league somewhat.

Or to the Lakers for one, Kobe Bryant biggrin.gif
Serbbojo
I dont mind Noah that much, yea i wouldve prefered Hawes because of his offensive skills but i still think Noah will help. He'll most likely be better than Chandler.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jul 2 2007, 01:42 AM) *

I wouldn't say I "really like him". I've got a lot of the same concerns that SF1 does. I still get worried that he'll be the next Darius Miles every once in a while, though at the same time I do know that if he can develop even decent skills he'll be pretty good.
Serbbojo
The only bad thing with Noah is he already has an injury. I just read in the tribune that they are gonna hold him out of both summer leagues for him to rest his shoulder. They also said surgery is the last resort.
soxfan101
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2 2007, 06:51 PM) *
I wouldn't say I "really like him". I've got a lot of the same concerns that SF1 does. I still get worried that he'll be the next Darius Miles every once in a while, though at the same time I do know that if he can develop even decent skills he'll be pretty good.

Is Darius Miles really bad though minutes the injuries/attitude?
TeaLeafReaderII
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 2 2007, 01:09 AM) *
Funny you mention that about Tyrus, because nobody knew about him until the Elite 8. Tyrus was picked #4 last year and if he was in the draft this year, he probably would have fell lower than Wright, Yi, Noah, and Hawes.

That is a fairly ignorant statement. It isn´t that crazy to assume that Tyrus´ play would have improved and LSU would have contended this march if they didn´t break up the duo of Big Baby and Tyrus.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (TeaLeafReaderII @ Jul 3 2007, 01:00 PM) *
That is a fairly ignorant statement. It isn´t that crazy to assume that Tyrus´ play would have improved and LSU would have contended this march if they didn´t break up the duo of Big Baby and Tyrus.

Ignorant statement? Even in 2006 when we drafted him, reports were saying that if he stayed a year more, he might not have even cracked the top 10.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jul 3 2007, 02:36 AM) *
Is Darius Miles really bad though minutes the injuries/attitude?

He's not terrible, not that great either though. He's athletic enough to start, but not skilled enough to be an impact player.

Plus Darius is a bit more skilled, he can actually play SF with some success. You also gotta remember that Darius wouldn't be getting 25+ minutes per game on a lot of teams, which helps his stats a bit.

LOL, no, this poll wasn't fixed. tongue.gif
dasox24
QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 3 2007, 01:36 PM) *
LOL, no, this poll wasn't fixed. tongue.gif

laugh.gif I don't even think there are over 3,000 members on this board.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.