Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Memphis Falling Short in Nocioni Running
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
dasox24
Well, right now it appears as if we'll be heading into next season with one of Joe Smith, Mikki Moore, or Chris Mihm as our post-scoring presence. I'd still like to re-sign PJ Brown too.

Memphis falling short in Nocioni running

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

July 5, 2007, 11:21 PM CDT

The Bulls brought unrestricted free agent Joe Smith to the Berto Center on Thursday to sell their franchise and philosophy and, by the way, hint at throwing some millions around.

Despite a transcontinental flight to woo Andres Nocioni personally in his native Argentina, all indications are the Memphis Grizzlies aren't doing enough of the latter with the Bulls' restricted free agent.

Barring an unforeseen change of philosophy, league sources said the Grizzlies, who have made an oral offer not much better than the Bulls' written offer, wouldn't increase their pursuit of Nocioni.

While nothing is official until Nocioni signs, all signs point to Nocioni accepting Bulls general manager John Paxson's five-year deal worth near $38 million, perhaps within days.

When Paxson took the rare move of proactively offering a restricted free agent that deal, which runs counter to Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf's philosophy of not setting the market, it merely backed up his season-long stance that Nocioni is valuable and needs to be re-signed.

Even if the Grizzlies reached a $46 million offer that was reported erroneously in the Argentine media, the Bulls would have seven days to match because they still own his rights.

A $46 million offer might give Paxson pause. As of late Thursday, however, all indications were that the Grizzlies, who also are considering Cavaliers' restricted free agent Anderson Varejao, were prepared to move on.

The Bulls were pleased that Smith flew in from Phoenix to meet with the coaching staff and Paxson at the Berto Center. The 12-year NBA veteran averaged 8.5 points and 6.2 rebounds in 65 games with the Nuggets and 76ers last season and is one of their main targets in free agency.

Sixers general manager Billy King has said publicly that re-signing the 6-foot-10-inch forward is a priority, and Smith, who played at Maryland, has a comfort level in the East.

But the Bulls, who likely would have to spend most or all of the midlevel salary cap exception of roughly $5.5 million to sign Smith, sold their vision and opportunity to win during a lunch with Smith, Paxson and coach Scott Skiles.

A similar recruiting pitch will follow Friday with Nets big man and Bulls-killer Mikki Moore. Saturday, Lakers center-forward Chris Mihm, who missed all of last season following ankle surgery, will visit the Berto Center.

The Bulls have the midlevel exception as well as the biannual veteran's exception of $1.83 million no matter what happens with Nocioni. But re-signing Nocioni and seeing how that contract is structured would help with some unrestricted free agent decisions and remains the priority.

It appears less so for the Grizzlies.
SoxFan1
I'd be very hesitant with Moore, but if he comes cheap, I would take him.
rangercal
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 6 2007, 05:28 AM) *

I like moore the most out of the bunch. He just keeps improving
SoxFan1
QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 6 2007, 12:52 AM) *
I like moore the most out of the bunch. He just keeps improving

Keep improving? As in was a 12th man on the bench his whole career and exploded on the scene? He never started more than 4 games in a season before 06/07. His career stats just scream fluke. I'm not saying I wouldn't like him on the Bulls, because he's a quality player on both ends, but I wouldn't give him big money, though the Bulls couldn't afford it anyway. Hell, like I said, I'd be hesitant giving the MLE in itself.
soxfan3530
I would vomit in my mouth if we signed Joe Smith!!!!!!! I'll take Darko!
72-10
Does that mean they would be done after one of these guys? I dont think thats enough--they need to seriously persue Darko or revisit Pau (although I dont thnk that will happen).
Steve9347
Honestly, I like them in this order...

Mihm, Moore, Darko (he'd cost more than he's worth), Smith.
madisonsmadhouse
Darko would be my top choice, but we also have the least chance of signing him. To be honest, I think Mihm would be my last choice, because of his injury problems, but I am not really going to get to excited/upset about any of them, as they will literally be 4th or 5th options when they are on the floor.
rangercal
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 6 2007, 07:50 AM) *
Keep improving? As in was a 12th man on the bench his whole career and exploded on the scene? He never started more than 4 games in a season before 06/07. His career stats just scream fluke. I'm not saying I wouldn't like him on the Bulls, because he's a quality player on both ends, but I wouldn't give him big money, though the Bulls couldn't afford it anyway. Hell, like I said, I'd be hesitant giving the MLE in itself.

the last couple years he has kept improving. It's like watching a whole different player. I'd definately throw a few mil for a couple years his way if I were Pax.
b-riann
mikki moore is going to be like adrian beltre. adrian had a great year with LA, then went to SEA and now is a 255 hitter. not worth it
rangercal
QUOTE (b-riann @ Jul 6 2007, 06:33 PM) *
mikki moore is going to be like adrian beltre. adrian had a great year with LA, then went to SEA and now is a 255 hitter. not worth it

is this a fact?
SoxFan1
QUOTE (b-riann @ Jul 6 2007, 01:33 PM) *

QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 6 2007, 02:29 PM) *
is this a fact?

It's not a fact, but I certainly agree with him. Just look at his career stats. Absolutely screams fluke. And even the word screams isn't strong enough.
eddog2
He screams fluke but not as much as Jerome James a couple of years ago. He really hurt the Knicks with that horrible signing. He's got $18.6 million left on his contract for the next 3 years. All for a good 10 game playoff stretch. That's horrible.

Anyway, Mikki doesn't scream fluke to me. He doesn't scream superstar but he'll be a serviceable big. He looked damn good against the Bulls last year. We had no answer for him. Mikki scored in double figures 44+ times last year. He was inconsistent at times and was often in foul trouble but he did have a productive year. Not a productive 11 games.

I wouldn't want to bring him in as a starter but if we can get him cheap and we don't have many other options I'd rather have him on the bench than go into the season with our current lineup.

He'd be a good backup center.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 6 2007, 03:04 PM) *
He screams fluke but not as much as Jerome James a couple of years ago. He really hurt the Knicks with that horrible signing. He's got $18.6 million left on his contract for the next 3 years. All for a good 10 game playoff stretch. That's horrible.

Anyway, Mikki doesn't scream fluke to me. He doesn't scream superstar but he'll be a serviceable big. He looked damn good against the Bulls last year. We had no answer for him. Mikki scored in double figures 44+ times last year. He was inconsistent at times and was often in foul trouble but he did have a productive year. Not a productive 11 games.

I wouldn't want to bring him in as a starter but if we can get him cheap and we don't have many other options I'd rather have him on the bench than go into the season with our current lineup.

He'd be a good backup center.

I don't think he'd sign for the MLE. And he definitely wouldn't sign to be a back-up after his last season.
sport1016
mikki is probably going back to NJ...the buzz is since VC resigned he will want to return there. Players know that the nets want to be at or near contender status when they move to Brooklyn in a couple years bc they have to compete the knicks.

If they keep Moore with krstic and Jefferson healthy they will certainly be a factor in the east.
DrunkBomber
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 6 2007, 12:28 AM) *

But if we get Moore and pair him with Noah we can have te ugliest tandem of players in all of sports.
b-riann
QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Jul 6 2007, 10:28 PM) *
But if we get Moore and pair him with Noah we can have te ugliest tandem of players in all of sports.

yea, and ben wallace wont be winning any beauty contests anytime soon neither
DutheDoduhon21

this is true, but i think pau gasol would beat out moore.
rangercal
QUOTE (b-riann @ Jul 7 2007, 04:34 AM) *
yea, and ben wallace wont be winning any beauty contests anytime soon neither

yeah who the hell are we kidding?

We must have the ugliest team in pro sports. bang.gif
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (rangercal @ Jul 7 2007, 12:01 AM) *
yeah who the hell are we kidding?

We must have the ugliest team in pro sports. bang.gif

We might need to find a way to acquire Oden to seal it...
SoxFan1

Were these 2 ever teammates? laugh.gif
BG7
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jul 6 2007, 11:39 PM) *
this is true, but i think pau gasol would beat out moore.

Pau Gasol? He's not ugly! Actually, if you look watch the video of him during the halftime report of the Bulls-Magic game, he's pretty sexy.

http://videosearch2.nba.com/search/?sp_a=s...amp;sp_k=wmvasf

Click on 'TNT at the Half: Bulls-Magic'.

(by the way, i'm a girl so nothing weird!!).
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 5 2007, 10:28 PM) *

I'm not a big fan of Moore. I'm also not a major Joe Smith fan because I question guys stats when they put up those numbers on a garbage team but I must admit those numbers would look real good coming from a Bulls big.
DutheDoduhon21
(by the way, i'm a girl so nothing weird!!).

i am too, but im not seeing gasol being anywhere close to good looking.
b-riann
if only we could get oden and sam cassell, we would be in the top 3 in ugliest teams ever tongue.gif
SoxFan1
QUOTE (b-riann @ Jul 7 2007, 03:55 PM) *
if only we could get oden and sam cassell, we would be in the top 3 in ugliest teams ever tongue.gif

Any team with Cassell is automatically the ugliest.
dasox24
Gasol is not that ugly. I mean, he's no Matthew McConaughey, but I've definitely seen a lot uglier.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.