Full Version: NEWS: Andres Nocioni Re-Signs w/ Bulls
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
sport1016
noce is back.....back again.....noce is back.....tell a friend

Nocioni back with the Bulls

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

July 6, 2007, 1:09 PM CDT

Andres Nocioni has agreed to a five-year contract worth approximately $38 million, keeping the popular forward with the team that vowed to re-sign him.

The contract can't be signed until the free-agent moratorium ends July 11. But general manager John Paxson confirmed a deal is in place.

Sources told the Tribune that the contract includes a team option for a sixth season.

Earlier Friday, Paxson confirmed that the team was optimistic about their chances.

"We've made progress," Paxson said at the Berto Center. "We're pretty confident. I'm hopeful that in the next day or so we can hammer this thing out with him."

The Tribune and Memphis Commercial Appeal reported in their Friday editions that Grizzlies general manager Chris Wallace wasn't willing to increase a verbal offer that is in the same neighborhood as the Bulls' offer.

The Tribune first reported Paxson has offered a five-year deal worth approximately $38 million. It's rare for teams to make a proactive offer for a restricted free agent instead of letting the market dictate his price.

"I felt the area we started talking about was a legitimate, fair offer," Paxson said. "So I never have problems throwing that out there. We're at the stage where we know our young players have value. I just felt it was appropriate to try to work something out. We want him here. He fits in with what we're trying to do."

Indeed, Nocioni, 27, has become a Bulls fan favorite with his manic intensity and floor-burn style.

"He's one of those guys who have helped change a lot of things around here in terms of how we go about business," Paxson said.

The Grizzlies flew to Nocioni's native Argentina to personally woo him. That they didn't follow with a bold offer raised eyebrows.

But Nocioni, who is resting the plantar fasciitis in his right foot, always stated his No. 1 priority was to return to the Bulls.

He got his wish.

kcjohnson@tribune.com
Steve9347
Well, unless they signed him to trade him, i dont like spending your wad on Noc when we have to worry about luol and gordon... so I expect to see him dealt...

7.6 average annual salary for a player like Noc should be rather attractive to teams out there (cough, Memphis, cough).
madisonsmadhouse
Good to hear. I wonder if this means he is off of the trade market now?
b-riann
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 6 2007, 01:27 PM) *
Good to hear. I wonder if this means he is off of the trade market now?

i hope so. im not the biggest fan of giving a guy like noc, with all due respect, 38 mill over 5 years.
sport1016
unless it's a sign and trade that would have to be announced very soon he can't be traded until december 15th

I think it's pretty clear Paxson drew a line at where Noc's signing wouldnt affect his ability to sign gordon or deng and made the offer. IF Noc wanted more, sign and trade. But, from what has been reported it seems Noc got one offer from Pax and he accepted it.

The only reason to be unhappy about Noce coming back IMO is if you're worried he's gonna take minutes from TT and Deng. It's hard to not think of Noc as the hobbling shell of his former self we saw in the detroit series. But Noce was averaging 15.6 ppg and 6 boards before his injury. That's pretty good for a 3rd year player.
WHarris1
mehhh
Brian
I agree with everyone else. Hopefully he is trade bait now. No way I would want that money tied up with him when we will need to re-sign Deng soon.
rangercal
Thats way too much when we have so many players in the wings to be locked up.
ZoomSlowik
If he gets back to his 13 and 6 days before he started having foot problems, it's not too bad. If it keeps coming back, it's an awful deal, he just wasn't very effective towards the end of the year and in the playoffs.

It also depends on his expected role and how much Tyrus and Noah develop and how much Wallace declines. If those two can be counted on for productive minutes and/or Wallace doesn't deteriorate too fast, then he's going to get squeezed down to about 20 minutes with Deng monopolizing the SF spot and that money is going to get tough to deal with. If he ends up as a major factor at PF because Tyrus/Noah don't develop as fast as well all hope or those guys are forced to eat up more minutes at center, then it's easier to swallow.

It took me a while to say it, but basically while the money isn't too awful for a guy with his abilities, he's not really a building block of the franchise down the road, so it might be more than we can really afford at some point...
SoxFan1
I guess this is good news, but like Zoom said, if this comes back to bite us in the ass when it comes to re-signing the core, it will hurt.

On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him deal on July 11th or 12th.
ChWRoCk2
As much as I love Noch, thats too much money for him, hes not deserving of that much. I really hope he gets traded now.
eddog2
It's not too much for him but it's too much for him on our team. I think he'll be dealt either soon or at the trading deadline. Otherwise, the only option left would be to make him our starting SF and trade Deng.

That could be what Paxson is planning. If he can get something very good in a Deng package he might not be opposed to trading Deng. Then we'd have Nocioni/Tyrus at the 3.

I hate to speculate but if we did trade Deng, Noah and some other reserves like Duhon, lets say KG or even Deng & Gordon for Gasol, we'd still have a pretty sick lineup.

Wallace
KG (or Gasol)
Nocioni/Tyrus
Gordon/Thabo
Hinrich

Paxson has a plan. It just depends on what his plan is. He's not resigning Nocioni for nothing. Either he plans on trading Nocioni, or he plans on trading someone like Deng or Tyrus in a bigger package.
dasox24
Well, I think it's a good thing he re-signed b/c he could be a very valuable trade piece. If some sort of sign-and-trade wasn't worked out (and I think we would have heard about it by now), then I think he'll be great to have next January/February to help us acquire a Gasol, KG, or Kobe. Let's say he doesn't have any recurring foot problems, then I think he could very well be averaging 15 and 6 at mid-season, which would make his trade value higher than now since it would show he's healthy. I think a lot of team's, like the Grizz or Wolves, would love having a tough, in-your-face veteran who can put up 15 and 6 per game (as well as Gordon, TT/Noah, whoever).
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jul 6 2007, 11:26 AM) *
Well, unless they signed him to trade him, i dont like spending your wad on Noc when we have to worry about luol and gordon... so I expect to see him dealt...

7.6 average annual salary for a player like Noc should be rather attractive to teams out there (cough, Memphis, cough).

I don't think the Bulls would have signed Nocioni if it meant they wouldn't be able to bring back Ben Gordon or Luol Deng. However, I don't think Noc will play out the remainder of this contract and that he very well could go at the trade deadline this year or sometime in the next 1-2 years.

The Bulls just knew that Noc is a valuable piece to the equation and while he isn't necessarily the perfect fit (since we have Deng starting at the 3) but he is still a good fit and until Pax can turn Noc into a better fit he will be here. Because if we let him walk, the team gets nothing and would have a hard time ever getting that type of talent back on the roster.
motownbull71
I think resigning Nocioni was a very good move. He has value if he stays with us or as a piece in a trade. He is a very good player who can shoot and rebound. I know he has the foot issue but he will be fine. I keep thinking about the guy who tore Miami up in the playoffs two years ago. He is capable of putting up good numbers and will really help our bench scoring.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Why why why? What purpose does he serve other than eating away alot of our cap for next season and beyond? Who knows if we will be able to resign our core guys in Ben and Luol now that a bench player has eaten up the available spending money.

Its only by default Noc is charted as a bench player, but thats because there isn't a spot in the starting lineup for him. If he isn't traded before the season Im going to be even more angry!

Where are the assets then? (Trade bait)
madisonsmadhouse
They can't officially sign Noc until July 11th when the salary cap information is released. Until then a sign and trade can still be worked out, but it really doesn't sound like that is what is going to happen.
madisonsmadhouse
One interesting thing that I just read... the Noc deal is supposedly front loaded to lessen the salary cap/luxury tax blow at the end of the deal.
sport1016
yeah they front loaded wallace's hinrich's and noce's contracts on purpose so that would leave them room to back load fat contracts for lu and ben, which is the way most contracts are written in the nba. Something like 10% annual raises is the norm.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 9 2007, 07:43 AM) *
One interesting thing that I just read... the Noc deal is supposedly front loaded to lessen the salary cap/luxury tax blow at the end of the deal.

I think it was because they front loaded Kirk, Ben and Noc's deals and than they plan on back loading Deng and Gordon's deals to try to keep the team under the luxury tax threshold.

I also know the Bulls could potentially get themselves under the cap for when Lebron enters the market. I also want to point out that Jermaine O'Neal and a few other very good low post players are FA's next year and the Bulls could very well go about a sign and trade for one of those guys (Pax is a patient man and unless he can get a deal that will put him over the top for a number of years, he will just continue to be patient as he knows this squad has a wide open window).
dasox24
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 9 2007, 12:15 PM) *
I think it was because they front loaded Kirk, Ben and Noc's deals and than they plan on back loading Deng and Gordon's deals to try to keep the team under the luxury tax threshold.

I also know the Bulls could potentially get themselves under the cap for when Lebron enters the market. I also want to point out that Jermaine O'Neal and a few other very good low post players are FA's next year and the Bulls could very well go about a sign and trade for one of those guys (Pax is a patient man and unless he can get a deal that will put him over the top for a number of years, he will just continue to be patient as he knows this squad has a wide open window).

I can only imagine this team with LeBron on it. I absolutely love him, and with those rumors last summer about us acquiring him, I can't help but think he really would love to play in Chicago. How awesome would it be having LeBron and Deng in 3 years (LBJ only has 3 years left on his deal, right?) when they are both in their prime and multiple time all-stars?
Balta1701-B
Folks worried about the cap...seriously...stop. The only way this hurts our cap situation is if Jerry Reinsdorf is unwilling to spend money. We're going to have to pay the luxury tax one way or another to resign Lu and BG. There's no way around it. And there's no situation I see in the next 5 years where the Bulls would have anything other than the MLE to spend. The Bulls will eventually have BW's expiring contract to trade, but if we want to hold this team together, there's no way we're going to avoid the luxury tax.

We'll still have the MLE each year I believe if we want to spend it. We'll still have some opportunity for sign and trades involving smaller guys or even a few of the big guys. But here's the way I see it: from 1999 to 2003, the Bulls were abjectly awful. Terrible. They spent no money because everyone was kids. Tim Floyd was the damn coach. But the biggest stadium in the NBA still was sold out almost every night. And for 3 years now, the Bulls have had a winning team, and have still been pretty darn far underneath the cap, and therefore have made even more $. There's no reason why JR can't go into the Luxury tax territory to hold this team together. If Cuban can do it, why not us?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.