Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Joe Smith
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
eddog2
Bulls Targeting Joe Smith

John Paxson is targeting one of Joe Smith, Chris Mihm, and Mikki Moore, though so far it appears his number one option is Smith, the former #1 overall selection. Smith came in for a workout late last week and is exactly the kind of guy the Bulls would like to add to play some spot minutes in the post. Philadelphia has made it clear they’d like to re-sign him, but if Smith wants to have a shot at a championship, the Bulls clearly would be the smarter option. The money will probably be similar from both teams.

I could really see the Bulls adding Smith and then not adding anyone else (including PJ). Smith would add a PJ type player who can hit the mid-range jumper and work somewhat in the post. He's still capable of averaging 9 ppg, and 7 rpg. However, on a team that has Noah, Tyrus, Wallace, & Nocioni to fill the 4 or 5 spot it is unlikely he'll get enough minutes to average that yet alone 7 ppg, & 5.5 rpg.
sport1016
i like joe smith a lot. He will be more effective offensively than PJ was and he's a lot younger at 31, he still has a little life left. PJ once every 2-3 weeks had a very nice 15 and 10 double double or something. I think that's something Smith could do like once a week. I would be happy with our PF rotation of Smith/Tyrus/Noc with a little Noah and deng sprinkled in.

But if that is our only move I'm concerned about our center position. Ben/Noah/Gray looks fine on paper, especially bc ben rarely fouls and plays a lot of minutes, but if there were ever an injury i dont think you want to have to depend on noah and gray for that kind of responsibility. Sometimes the bulls were more effective with PJ at center with Tyrus at the 4.

That's why Mihm makes more sense to me. I think we should go after both of them. Maybe mihm would take the veteran's minimum of 1.8 million? I think both are probably looking in the 4-6 million range.

I like Joe smith, but I'd rather see them sign Mihm and then trade for gooden or collison. Word is if the cavs pay big bucks to keep varejao gooden would be traded. So basically if varejao signs a memphis offer sheet we could easily get gooden probably for du, vic and a draft pick.
SoxFan1
I'd still much rather sign and trade Noc/Du for Darko.
BG7
I really don't understand the point of this move. Why add another role player to the team? If Joe Smith doesn't bring serious defense or offense and is just another veteran big man who serves as a 'filler', why add him and further clutter the roster?

We have a handful of big men on the team with more than suffient potential. Tyrus is coming into his own, Joakim is going to have a solid rookie impact, Big Ben is always going to get his 10pts 10rbs, and we have a good and young backup center in Aaron Gray.

No need to clutter the 4/5 spots with guys who don't really address a need! Let Tyrus/Joakim handle the PF position. That will give both significant playing time and will have a big impact on their development.

I'm satisfied with the following starting lineup with the primary backups:

PG: Kirk Hinrich/Chris Duhon/JamesOn Curry
SG: Ben Gordon/Thabo Sefolosha
SF: Luol Deng/Andres Nocioni
PF: Tyrus Thomas/Joakim Noah
C: Ben Wallace/Aaron Gray

Either get an impact player, or stick with this roster. No more role players, please.
sport1016
that's a fine rotation except that none of your bigs can score in the post and are relying on too many rookies/2nd year guys for important minutes. What if there is an injury?

If Wallace or TT went down for any period of time, we'd be really screwed. Joe Smith fills a need. He's better than PJ just by being only 31, let alone his offensive skill

I would rather add a better scoring big via trade, but we have to sign at least one pf/c.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (BG7 @ Jul 10 2007, 10:15 PM) *
I really don't understand the point of this move. Why add another role player to the team? If Joe Smith doesn't bring serious defense or offense and is just another veteran big man who serves as a 'filler', why add him and further clutter the roster?

We have a handful of big men on the team with more than suffient potential. Tyrus is coming into his own, Joakim is going to have a solid rookie impact, Big Ben is always going to get his 10pts 10rbs, and we have a good and young backup center in Aaron Gray.

No need to clutter the 4/5 spots with guys who don't really address a need! Let Tyrus/Joakim handle the PF position. That will give both significant playing time and will have a big impact on their development.

Either get an impact player, or stick with this roster. No more role players, please.

blink.gif blink.gif
b-riann
i would support the pick up if they got joe smith
madisonsmadhouse
Joe Smith is a good fit for the Bulls. He has a solid post game, he knows that he plays a specific role, and isn't going to beach about it. He also can set screens and shoot an OK jumper. In the absense of a 20-8 guy on the block, he works.
Steve9347
He works if we're all about baby steps... this move and the slow trigger finger of Paxson are starting to annoy me...
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (BG7 @ Jul 10 2007, 08:15 PM) *

I disagree, and I think 1 more role player who can play the SF/C positions is exactly what this team still needs.

With Big Ben, TT, Noah, and Gray, there's just not going to be an awful lot of minutes available for a big name impact player. And even if we drop TT or Noah in a trade, there's still going to be 2 guys ahead of whatever impact player we might try to pick up.

On top of that, at least I personally actually want TT and Noah to start pulling in good minutes this season. I think we really need to both see what these guys can give us (esp. TT) and give them minutes to allow them to grow up (esp. Noah).

But, we still have 1 issue; health. Noah has that shoulder, Big Ben is up there in years, and a bunch of us are going to be worried about TT's health until he adds a few more pounds. IMO, I think there's probably 10 or so games each of the next few years where Big Ben just won't be able to play, on average, and possibly a few more if he suffers a bigger hurt. On days that Big Ben can't play, our lineup is Gray, TT, and Noah. Nocioni becomes our backup PF again. Or if Big Ben or one of the kids gets in foul trouble, then we don't have any depth. We could really use 1 more big man just to give us a little bit of depth, even if he isn't a dominant player.
eddog2
I don't mind adding Smith or someone like him if we can't get Gooden or someone else who has a better post game at a relatively small price.

I personally love Gordon, Deng, TT, Thabo & I'm sure I'll like Noah. Paxson is smart in not trading away 2 of them in any package for a PF that's getting older like KG, or a PF that's never won on his own like Gasol. Gordon/Deng/TT/Noah/&Thabo will only get better. They are all very young and have time to grow in both skill and knowledge of the game. The Bulls drafted Noah to be Wallace's replacement when he contract is up unless of course he wants to re-sign with the Bulls for the mid-level when his contract is over.

I kept Hinrich off the list but hopefully he improves as well.

However, my concern with adding someone like Smith is not Smith himself but Scott Skiles. I still don't trust that Skiles will play the young boys enough for them to really develop. (TT, Noah, Thabo) I really think Tyrus will get increased minutes but that can be impacted by the minutes that Smith/Nocioni get at the 4. I can only hope that Noah and Thabo both average close to 18-20 mpg. However, adding a player like Smith will mean that Noah probably won't get that many minutes unless he gets all of the center minutes. With Smith/Tyrus/Nocioni playing the 4 it's unlikely Noah will get enough minutes. I guess Wallace/Noah will be the only centers playing unless there is an injury. Gray will probably only play when people are in foul trouble.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jul 11 2007, 09:11 AM) *
He works if we're all about baby steps... this move and the slow trigger finger of Paxson are starting to annoy me...

What big deal am I missing that was out there? Realistically the only guy who Pax could have traded for without trading core guys was Zach Randolph, and there was no way that was going to happen. What other deals am I missing?
Rimmin..No
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 11 2007, 06:11 AM) *
Joe Smith is a good fit for the Bulls. He has a solid post game, he knows that he plays a specific role, and isn't going to beach about it. He also can set screens and shoot an OK jumper. In the absense of a 20-8 guy on the block, he works.

Joe Smith is washed up. The Bulls don't need him.
dasox24
QUOTE (Rimmin..No @ Jul 11 2007, 05:33 PM) *
Joe Smith is washed up. The Bulls don't need him.

While Joe Smith may be past his prime, he is far from washed up. First, he'll only turn 32 next week. He could easily play 5 more years before calling it quits. Second, if you throw out his stats from playing with Denver last year (where he wasn't used much) and look at how he did in 25 mpg (54 games) with the 76ers, he did a pretty good job. He averaged about 9 points, 7 rebs, and 1 assist. Now, from a Bulls standpoint, in which signing Smith to the MLE won't affect re-signing our own guys, I don't see how we wouldn't want those numbers on the team, especially from a position we're pretty young at. Wallace is the obvious exception, but right now we'd be counting on a 2nd year guy (TT) and 2 rookies to round out the big man rotation. I really don't want to have to do that. Smith would provide good, veteran leadership and provide a breather for Tyrus, assuming TT makes the type of impact some other guys around the league have made in their 2nd year.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 10 2007, 07:04 PM) *
I'd still much rather sign and trade Noc/Du for Darko.

Thats no longer and option. I still think I take a healthy Mihm over any of them but I would definitely be happy having Joe Smith aboard. He is a crafty scorer and will make a great addition to the squad.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12 2007, 12:04 PM) *
Thats no longer and option. I still think I take a healthy Mihm over any of them but I would definitely be happy having Joe Smith aboard. He is a crafty scorer and will make a great addition to the squad.

Mihm has been pretty productive when he's healthy (basically 10 points-6 boards and a little over a block per game the last two years), though that's definitely an issue since he didn't play at all last year. He's still pretty young though at 27 (actually, I guess 28 in a little over a week), so if he can prove he's healthy and can be had for the MLE, that seems like the right move.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I expect Smith to fill that PJ Brown type role but he'll have more athletiscm which is good. I am not sure what he's capable of numbers wise on THIS team but he should get some minutes, especially if Noah is out for a large portion because of the crap injury. Maybe 8 ppg 4-5 rpg is about what he'll get?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.