Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NBA salary cap set
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
madisonsmadhouse
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19702614/from/RS.3/

NEW YORK (AP) -The NBA set next season's salary cap at $55.63 million Tuesday, paving the way for teams to begin signing free agents.

The new cap goes into effect Wednesday, when the league's moratorium period ends and trades can be made. Teams have been allowed to negotiate with free agents since July 1, but the deals couldn't be completed until the new cap was determined.

The salary cap will rise about $2.5 million from last season's $53.135 million figure.

Also, the mid-level exception is rising from $5.2 million to $5.36 million, and the tax level is $67.87 million, up from $65.42 million. Teams will have to pay a $1 tax for every $1 they exceed that figure by.

The minimum team salary is $41.72 million, 75 percent of the salary cap.
Steve9347
Can't argue with having more elbow room...
eddog2
That extra $2.45 million is huge for the Bulls. If they can get it to go up that much more into the 2008-09 season they should have relatively no problem re-signing Deng and Gordon to $10+ million a year contracts.

2008-09

Wallace $14.5
Kirk $10
Tyrus $3.75
Nocioni $7.0-8.5 (depending on how his contract is structured)
Thabo $1.9
Gordon $10 (with an escalating contract)
Deng $12 (with an escalating contract)
Noah $2.5+

= $61.65-63.15 leaving us anywhere from $4.72- $6.22 to work with for 7 players before we go over the luxury amount. Curry & Gray will probably only make the minimum around $700-800K so that leaves anywhere from $3.32 - $5.62 for the other 5 players.

The problem really comes after the 2009-2010 season. It will be during that summer that the Bulls have to start thinking about re-sign Tyrus and Thabo assuming they both stay and are not traded. Otherwise they will become unrestricted the next year. The Bulls will also have to worry about re-signing Noah one year after that. The question becomes, will Tyrus/Thabo/&Noah cost more than Wallace whose $14 million comes off the books that year. If Tyrus gets significantly better, the answer is for sure Yes. Tyrus will command a $10+ million contract if he improves and if he significantly improves to an all-star level he will command $15+ million. Tyrus/Thabo/& Noah combined could easily add up to more than $25-30 million depending on how much each player improves in the next 3 years.

However, at that point hopefully at least one championship has come our way and the boss will have no problem paying everyone.
Steve9347
I really don't thing Gordon will be around still in 2009-2010... he's worth too much to us traded to still be here.
eddog2
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jul 11 2007, 02:20 PM) *
I really don't thing Gordon will be around still in 2009-2010... he's worth too much to us traded to still be here.

With that kind of talking I don't think you'll still be my friend in 2009-2010 yet alone 2008. Just kidding buddy.

Anyway, you could very well be right. However, without obtaining a star player in return I don't think Paxson is letting Gordon go anywhere. That means he's staying a Bull.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 11 2007, 02:23 PM) *
With that kind of talking I don't think you'll still be my friend in 2009-2010 yet alone 2008. Just kidding buddy.

Anyway, you could very well be right. However, without obtaining a star player in return I don't think Paxson is letting Gordon go anywhere. That means he's staying a Bull.

Yeah, if BG isn't here, that means we got a scoring big man instead, because that is the only way Ben leaves Chicago. And to be honest, if that happens, I will help Ben pack and drive him to O'Hare.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 11 2007, 02:35 PM) *
Yeah, if BG isn't here, that means we got a scoring big man instead, because that is the only way Ben leaves Chicago. And to be honest, if that happens, I will help Ben pack and drive him to O'Hare.

With our luck, he'd take Midway. laugh.gif
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (steve9347 @ Jul 11 2007, 12:20 PM) *

I tend to agree with you. The problem is he will stlil be one of those base year type players when he gets his extension so it will be tough to trade him for guys of equal value. However, once that base year is gone the Bulls will have the option of moving him for a bigger name player without having to give up a lot of fillers or additional guys due to cap restraints.

Still I think I recall Pax wanting to make sure his squad is in position to be able to go after Lebron when his contract runs out (a lot of teams in the NBA are going to do this).
dasox24
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12 2007, 12:08 PM) *
Still I think I recall Pax wanting to make sure his squad is in position to be able to go after Lebron when his contract runs out (a lot of teams in the NBA are going to do this).

Isn't Ben Wallace's contract coming off the books the same year LeBron is a free agent? Or is it a year later?
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12 2007, 12:08 PM) *
I tend to agree with you. The problem is he will stlil be one of those base year type players when he gets his extension so it will be tough to trade him for guys of equal value. However, once that base year is gone the Bulls will have the option of moving him for a bigger name player without having to give up a lot of fillers or additional guys due to cap restraints.

Not just Lebron, possibly Wade or Bosh too. It's conceivable (some would say probable) that the teams of those first two will keep getting worse between now and then, and by then Bosh might want out of Toronto (though I don't see them getting significantly worse, being stuck up in Canada might not be high on his list).
WHarris1
The salary cap means jack spiff in terms of signing Gordon and Deng
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.