Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Superb Performance
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
BG7
24 pts, 8 rebs, 4 assists, 3 steals, 4 blocks against the Bobcats!!!

Wow.

Anyone know where to get game highlight videos? For some reason, NBA.com doesn't show any of the Bulls summer league games.
rangercal
The man is on a mission!
Rimmin..No
Tyrus keep it up!
eddog2
Here's what Draft Express had to say

Tyrus Thomas, 24 points, 8 rebounds, 4 assists, 4 blocks, 3 steals, 7/13 FG, 10/15 FT

Generally, summer league free throw numbers can be taken with a grain of salt, as the officiating crews call nearly everything that is and is not a foul. This doesn’t apply to Tyrus Thomas however, as he forced the refs to call a foul by attacking the basket with reckless abandon. Watching the second year forward play, you have to wonder how many players in the NBA can match his athleticism. Unlike many players with freakish athleticism, Thomas applies his every single chance he gets. Thomas scored the bulk of his points attacking the basket off the dribble, showing great quickness in getting to the basket off the dribble. His handle still appears to be a bit mechanical, but he can apply it to the NBA playing a face the basket 4 role.

Thomas took many mid-range jumpers throughout the game with mixed success. His form looks to be slightly better from last season, though he still has a stroke that starts inside and moves outward. The ball is released to the basket with better consistency, however, and his touch has improved as a result.

In addition, Thomas’ feel for the game appears to be vastly improving as well. From the high post, he made a number of passes to cutting teammates, and he even made a very nice dish to a teammate under the hoop on a face-up drive.

Thomas continues to show promise defensively as well, especially as a player who can change the flow of the game with his shot blocking. His improved offensive game will allow him to play consistent rotation minutes with the Bulls this season, and it would not be a surprise to see him start for stretches over the course of the season. Tyrus Thomas has all-star potential, and it is almost scary to think of how good he could be if his offensive game continues to progress.
sport1016
fish YEAH!
dasox24
I love the sound of that report, ed. Interesting to see that his motion isn't really all that changed, but his release point is consistent, so it's making him more consistent too. I like that b/c I'm not too interested if Tyrus can shoot correctly as long as he can consistently make shots, i.e. Shawn Marion... Obviously, he was never gonna be a great shooter anyway, so as long as he can make his jumper with regularity, he will fulfill that "all-star potential" they mentioned in the recap.
b-riann
tyrus tyrus tyrus bullssmilie1.jpg headbang.gif cheers.gif

with season tickets, a low post scorer (tyrus) will make the games more pleasurable bullssmilie1.jpg
SoxFan1
QUOTE (b-riann @ Jul 12 2007, 01:10 AM) *
tyrus tyrus tyrus bullssmilie1.jpg headbang.gif cheers.gif

with season tickets, a low post scorer (tyrus) will make the games more pleasurable bullssmilie1.jpg

Except it looks like Tyrus is trying to become a jump shooter.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 11 2007, 05:46 PM) *
Thomas continues to show promise defensively as well, especially as a player who can change the flow of the game with his shot blocking. His improved offensive game will allow him to play consistent rotation minutes with the Bulls this season, and it would not be a surprise to see him start for stretches over the course of the season. Tyrus Thomas has all-star potential, and it is almost scary to think of how good he could be if his offensive game continues to progress.

If he gets any kind of an offense game, this team is a 60 win team.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 11 2007, 07:47 PM) *
I love the sound of that report, ed. Interesting to see that his motion isn't really all that changed, but his release point is consistent, so it's making him more consistent too. I like that b/c I'm not too interested if Tyrus can shoot correctly as long as he can consistently make shots, i.e. Shawn Marion... Obviously, he was never gonna be a great shooter anyway, so as long as he can make his jumper with regularity, he will fulfill that "all-star potential" they mentioned in the recap.

Its kinda like a bad golf swing... If you practice enough, you can make it work. It might not be pretty, but all he has to do is make enough to not allow the players to sag off of him up high.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12 2007, 01:44 AM) *

Chisoxfn
QUOTE (BG7 @ Jul 11 2007, 12:26 PM) *
24 pts, 8 rebs, 4 assists, 3 steals, 4 blocks against the Bobcats!!!

Wow.

Anyone know where to get game highlight videos? For some reason, NBA.com doesn't show any of the Bulls summer league games.

Definitely nice to see him kicking butt. However, just to smooth peoples expectations just a bit I want to point out that most of the guys on summer leauge rosters are non NBA players (Dleague type of guys) with each team having a couple of there top draft picks from the last 1-2 years (typically speaking).

Still I love seeing him do good.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 12 2007, 12:05 PM) *
Definitely nice to see him kicking butt. However, just to smooth peoples expectations just a bit I want to point out that most of the guys on summer leauge rosters are non NBA players (Dleague type of guys) with each team having a couple of there top draft picks from the last 1-2 years (typically speaking).

Still I love seeing him do good.

He also didn't have the greatest game last night offensively, only 7 points on 2 of 9 shooting. However, he did still have 12 boards, 5 blocks, and 4 assists, which is pretty damn impressive.

He definitely looks like he'll be a much bigger factor this year, though his offense still might be a year away...
b-riann
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12 2007, 01:44 AM) *

i think hes working on his jump shot. would u rather him be going to the basket and dropping 30-35 every game with dunks? or since its the summer league, be working on the jumper? ill take the working on the jumper.
sport1016
To me TT dominating isn't like "Yeah! He'll be dominant all next season" It is just good to see bc many of the other second year players have dominated the inferior competetion. Guys like Aldridge and Gay have looked great, and I am more relieved than anything to see Tyrus do the same. He SHOULD be able to dominate these types of fringe NBA guys. I'm glad that he is.

back to back 4 assist games though? That's certainly a surprise.

I have read that TT is working on both his jumper and his low post game, so dont worry that he's trying to become a "pure shooter." Hopefully he will be bigger come october and have a low post move or two. I like the one where he spins to the base line and uses a jump hook. IF he can make that a high percentage shot he can jump high enough to get that off agst anyone.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
Repeat after me, "This is summer league, this is summer league"

But still he's having one hell of a summer, he is dominating defensively and isn't having alot of turnovers or getting all those ticky tac fouls which is great to see. The Bulls don't need a dominating low post player to win a championship but it would help to have an above average one to ease the pressure off our guards in case they have bad shooting nights. 15 ppg from a post player is one thing that would propel us to a championship, maybe even 12 ppg. I think Tyrus' offensive game is about a year away but he lead the NBA in defensive efficieny last season so things are looking up.

Im excited for the upcoming year because I want to see the growth of our players like Deng, Gordon and Tyrus. October can't come soon enough.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (Chicago Bulls Franchise @ Jul 12 2007, 03:43 PM) *
Repeat after me, "This is summer league, this is summer league"

But still he's having one hell of a summer, he is dominating defensively and isn't having alot of turnovers or getting all those ticky tac fouls which is great to see. The Bulls don't need a dominating low post player to win a championship but it would help to have an above average one to ease the pressure off our guards in case they have bad shooting nights. 15 ppg from a post player is one thing that would propel us to a championship, maybe even 12 ppg. I think Tyrus' offensive game is about a year away but he lead the NBA in defensive efficieny last season so things are looking up.

Im excited for the upcoming year because I want to see the growth of our players like Deng, Gordon and Tyrus. October can't come soon enough.

Looks like you're not taking your own advice. "This is summer league." And it's only 3 games.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12 2007, 01:58 PM) *
Looks like you're not taking your own advice. "This is simmer league." And it's only 3 games.

Slav...you sure hate on Tyrus. I can't wait for you to be wrong smile.gif
eddog2
He hates on Thomas about as much as I hate on Kirk. Probably more! Only problem is that only one of those guys has superstar potential. And that player is taller than 6'4" and is super young.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 12 2007, 08:44 PM) *
He hates on Thomas about as much as I hate on Kirk. Probably more! Only problem is that only one of those guys has superstar potential. And that player is taller than 6'4" and is super young.

I'm sorry, but there is no way I dislike Tyrus more than you hate Hinrich. Not even close. I at least acknowledge his potential and acknowledge good games.
soxfan3530
Here is a story on Tyrus i found in the Tribune:

Bulls' Thomas adding to his arsenal
Thomas hopes midrange jump shot will make him more valuable to offense

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

July 12, 2007, 10:40 PM CDT

MAITLAND, Fla. -- Immediately after the ball missed its target, fell off the rim and bounced out of bounds, a tossed mouthpiece followed.

Tyrus Thomas is seeking perfection.

His missed jump shot Wednesday night prompted his response, which illustrated his expectations emotionally because of the effort he has put into improving his midrange game.

"I guess so," Thomas said. "I'm just trying to get better and trying to win. That's it."

Thomas missed the Bulls' summer league 88-72 loss to Orlando on Thursday because of tendinitis in his right knee. But in three summer-league games thus far, he's averaging 16 points, nine rebounds and 4.7 blocks.

Everybody knows about the highlight-reel dunks and breathtaking ability to block shots. But Thomas' commitment to improve his midrange game could go a long way to him commanding more minutes in his sophomore season.

"His attitude has been good, and he has been making an effort on his shot with [assistant] coach [Ron] Adams," general manager John Paxson said. "That's all part of it. I still have to keep in mind that he's a young guy without the experiences that a lot of guys his age have had, the AAU systems and all those things. He's still trying to figure this league out.

"There's a lot riding for him the next couple of years. With his athleticism we all believe he will develop that skill level to go along with it and become a player who will help us win a lot of games."

Thomas' 42.9 percent summer shooting is below his rookie percentage of 47.5 and reflective of his being on the perimeter more. Thomas still attacks the basket at all opportunities. But his work with Adams—they drill shooting almost daily—is attempting to develop a comfort zone when he can't drive the lane.

"I'm trying to develop an all-around game so I can play better however I'm used," Thomas said.

This attention to detail is refreshing to a coaching staff that often spoke publicly of Thomas' tendency to drift during his first season. Lapses at the Berto Center often offset the awesome athleticism that quickly made Thomas a United Center favorite.

"When he first got here, he was engaged in about 50 percent of the possessions," coach Scott Skiles said. "He would be off one, on one, off one, on one. So far, in the few days we've been here, and even as the season went on last year, he got much better at that. He's into about 75 percent of the possessions now.

"We just want to keep moving in that direction because, with his athleticism, his potential is limitless."

Indeed, that's why the attitude is more important than the averages. Summer league is summer league. Showing a willingness to attempt a midrange jumper within the flow of the offense is, at this stage, perhaps more important than if Thomas makes it.

"Whether or not his role increases next season is going to depend on if he can operate on the top-flight players the way he can against second-unit guys," Skiles said. "He had a lot of blowout minutes last season."

With P.J. Brown almost certain to sign elsewhere if he doesn't retire, and the free-agent market moving slowly, Thomas, rookie Joakim Noah, forgotten man Viktor Khryapa and the smallish Andres Nocioni are currently the Bulls' power forwards.

"The game has gone smaller, obviously," Paxson said. "I'm not worried about who starts. For four years, I've watched Scott use his roster. He never has been afraid to get a lot of guys playing time.

"Tyrus has the ability to impact a game with the minutes he's given. I'm not putting that [starting] expectation on him right now. He's going to have his chance. He just has to work and show the coaches he's ready to play."

kcjohnson@tribune.com
Chicago Bulls Franchise
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12 2007, 03:58 PM) *
Looks like you're not taking your own advice. "This is summer league." And it's only 3 games.

What!?! how so?
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Jul 12 2007, 06:44 PM) *

Tell that to the people that selected him to play on the US basketball squad last year. Kirk will never be the player that gets the sports center highlights but he is still the second best all around player on the Bulls (no one touches Luol Deng). However, I'd be the first to admit Tyrus has more potential but a shitload of guys in the NBA have the athletism that leads to potential (although Tyrus is a freak athletically speaking) but that doesn't mean crap without skill (Hinrich is full of skill and is in my opinion the best defensive PG in the league and one of the best defensive 2 guards in the league, which says something considering he has a height disadvantage against most "2s).
soxfan101
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12 2007, 09:26 PM) *
I'm sorry, but there is no way I dislike Tyrus more than you hate Hinrich. Not even close. I at least acknowledge his potential and acknowledge good games.

Not really you always make excuses like it was at the end of the game or wasnt agains the starters or some crap. Even when he has outstanding games you have something negative to say. I know there is a bunch of homers on this site and just in general, but lay off the hatorade and enjoy the performances he is having so far in the summer league bullssmilie1.jpg
soxfan101
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 12 2007, 09:26 PM) *

Not really you always make excuses like it was at the end of the game or wasnt agains the starters or some crap. Even when he has outstanding games you have something negative to say. I know there is a bunch of homers on this site and just in general, but lay off the hatorade and enjoy the performances he is having so far in the summer league bullssmilie1.jpg
SoxFan1
QUOTE (soxfan101 @ Jul 15 2007, 10:00 PM) *

I'm glad he's doing well in summer league, but I'm not putting as much stock into it as some people here. He's going into his 2nd year. All the other 2nd year players have been dominating, so thats good to see. But, it's against rookies and NBDL guys, so I'm not going to say he's ready to start right away because he dropped 20 points against a scrub team. It's like giving credit to someone who is doing what their supposed to do. But ask CBF, when he has had legitimate good performances, like when he shows some post game, doesn't turn the ball over, doesn't get silly fouls, etc., I've given him credit. Read his profile for proof. smile.gif
bschmaranz
Just to add to the conversation, Lonny Baxter was once named MVP of the Rocky Mountain Revue while a member of the Bulls. wink.gif

I think it's great that he's doing well but I'm certainly not getting gung ho yet.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (bschmaranz @ Jul 16 2007, 12:35 AM) *
Just to add to the conversation, Lonny Baxter was once named MVP of the Rocky Mountain Revue while a member of the Bulls. wink.gif

I think it's great that he's doing well but I'm certainly not getting gung ho yet.

Excellent point.
Chicago Bulls Franchise

Lol I was just gonna say that. I forgot about good ole Lonny Baxter. Last time I heard about him was when he suposeably fired a gun not too far from the whitehouse.
madisonsmadhouse

Then again Lonny Baxter was drafted in the second round and #44 overall, while Tyrus Thomas was drafted #4 overall, so there might be just a little bit of higher expectations for TT.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.