Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scola traded to Houston
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
SoxFan1
Jackie Butler and the rights to Luis Scola were traded to Houston for Vassilis Spanoulis. Yes, the man dubbed V-Span aka Kill Bill. All of 2.7 points per game.

What are you doing Paxson? Is he even trying to upgrade the team right now? Looks to me like he's asleep at the wheel. LINKY
madisonsmadhouse
I am guessing they weren't interested in Chris Duhon or anything else the Bulls could offer.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 13 2007, 07:16 AM) *
I am guessing they weren't interested in Chris Duhon or anything else the Bulls could offer.

Well people were speculating that we'd deal Noc. He is much better than Spanoulis.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 13 2007, 02:02 PM) *
Well people were speculating that we'd deal Noc. He is much better than Spanoulis.

Is Scoula about a $7.5 million player? Otherwise they wouldn't match up cap wise.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 13 2007, 02:05 PM) *
Is Scoula about a $7.5 million player? Otherwise they wouldn't match up cap wise.

Scola hasn't signed yet, so he doesn't go against the cap.
SoxFan1
Spanoulis makes 1.8, Butler 2.2.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 13 2007, 02:13 PM) *
Scola hasn't signed yet, so he doesn't go against the cap.

I think he is assigned a value based on his draft position then, no? The values listened there are really small, and I think they have a number for that, in the second round it is probably minimum salary. I really don't think a Noc for Scola deal would have work under the cap because it would have been looked at badly in the cap rules.
SoxFan1
QUOTE (madisonsmadhouse @ Jul 13 2007, 02:32 PM) *
I think he is assigned a value based on his draft position then, no?

Not that I know of.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 13 2007, 02:33 PM) *
Not that I know of.

Yeah, they are assigned a value of $0. So if we traded them Nocioni for Scola, we would have to take on $7.6 million in salary's back from SA somehow. It would be either that or coming up with a contract for Scola that matched close enough with Noc's under the cap to get a deal done.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#71

Draft picks (both first and second round) count $0 for salary matching purposes. This is true both before and after the draft, until the player signs a contract. This can make it very difficult to construct a trade that is equitable in both trade value and basketball talent. For example, Vancouver selected Steve Francis with the #2 pick in the 1999 draft, and traded his draft rights to Houston. When the trade was finally engineered, it included three teams (Orlando was also involved), 11 players (including Francis) and two future draft picks.
Serbbojo
man every1 is improving this offseason and we havent done spiff. We have basically done nothing to improve our team considering our draft picks are basically clones of whats already on the roster besides Aaron Gray since he is now our biggest player. The only way we'll have a chance to contend is if Thabo and Tyrus make considerable improvement.
dasox24
Damn, Scola is a guy I really wanted. He's a major sleeper. He could've definitely provided some good help off the bench at the least. I have a hard time believing the Spurs were more interested in Spanoulis than Duhon, but I guess it's possible.
Chisoxfn
QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jul 13 2007, 12:02 PM) *

Just because people were guessing that doesn't mean that the Bulls would offer it. I think the key is that the Bulls wanted to dump cap room to get him (someone like Duhon) while the spurs didn't want it. Than again the Spurs took on two guys that make similar to what Duhon does combined.

Still I don't know what is on Pax's mind just like I don't know if Scola will sign either. I would have liked him in Chicago but obviously he's no sure thing and I think Pax wanted Smith #1 and he got the guy he wanted. I figure he thinks he has enough youth/inexperienced bigs and Smith/Ben Wallace will be the two veteran leaders down low with Noah/Tyrus/Gray being the raw players (with two of them having a lot of athletic ability and talent and the 3rd being a big body) plus you'll have Noc getting some minutes at the 4.
dasox24
QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 14 2007, 04:01 PM) *
I think Pax wanted Smith #1 and he got the guy he wanted. I figure he thinks he has enough youth/inexperienced bigs and Smith/Ben Wallace will be the two veteran leaders down low with Noah/Tyrus/Gray being the raw players (with two of them having a lot of athletic ability and talent and the 3rd being a big body) plus you'll have Noc getting some minutes at the 4.

That's some good reasoning right there. More than likely, that is what Pax was thinking. If he couldn't get Smith, Moore, or Mihm, then maybe he would have turned his attention to Scola if he hadn't been traded yet. I really do like Smith b/c we know what we're getting, and he's a vet who's been around this league awhile. Whereas with Scola, he would be a rookie, regardless of whether he has played pro internationally or not. I'm sure he'll still get the rookie treatment from refs.
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 13 2007, 07:45 PM) *
Damn, Scola is a guy I really wanted. He's a major sleeper. He could've definitely provided some good help off the bench at the least. I have a hard time believing the Spurs were more interested in Spanoulis than Duhon, but I guess it's possible.

Thats the thing, under the salary cap rules Scola has no $ value, so San Antonio would have to send us back a player matching Duhon's salary.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.