Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Look into Joe Smith
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
BG7
Although Joe Smith is a low-key player, it seems like he brings two key things to Chicago: leadership, and consistency. His numbers may look very inconsistent, but I think it relates to one factor and one factor only: playing time.

If you look at his time in Denver and Philly, he's played extremely well in games where he has been given significant minutes. Consider the last 5 games in which he was given 25 or more minutes:

1. (@ Toronto): 26 pts, 11 rebs, 4 assists in 40 mins
2. (vs Cavs): 17 pts, 13 rebs, in 37 mins
3. (@ Detroit): 13 pts, 9 rebs, 1 steal in 28 mins
4. (vs. Orlando): 7 pts, 8 rebs, 3 assists, in 27 mins
5. (@ Boston): 16 pts, 7 rebs, 2 assists in 25 mins

So, you see, if Joe Smith is given a consistent 25+ minutes per game (I'd say he should be getting around 30), then he can really make an impact on this team. Also, for many of these games, he wasn't even a starter. In Chicago, he would likely be a starter, and that should have a positive impact on his performance as well.

After taking a look into him, I now understand why Paxson got him. Solid player, fairly consistent, low-cost, low-maintainance, veteran leadership, and most of all, great personality to help mentor Tyrus and Joakim.

Good signing!
SoxFan1
He's an excellent rebounder, and you're absolutely correct. When he gets minutes, he can score a bit. Nice to see he did well against Detroit, Cleveland, and Toronto, as they are some of our primary competition in the East. Those are quite the numbers vs Bosh, Varejao, and Sheed.
Steve9347
This just might work out. All we need is someone even remotely capable of scoring inside, and we got that in Joe Smith. Anyone know how his conditioning is?
Rimmin..No
Joe just might be what the doctor ordered...low post scorer.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (BG7 @ Jul 16 2007, 10:31 PM) *
So, you see, if Joe Smith is given a consistent 25+ minutes per game (I'd say he should be getting around 30), then he can really make an impact on this team. Also, for many of these games, he wasn't even a starter. In Chicago, he would likely be a starter, and that should have a positive impact on his performance as well.

With the depth we now have in our frontcourt (wow, that's fun to say) and the youth we have up there who could benefit from increased playing time, I'd rather his minutes be more like 20 per game. Especially given that he's on the wrong side of 30, keeping a good rotation going is one of those things we can do to keep everyone healthy.

Across those 2 positions you could go Wallace 28, Smith 15-20, Noah 15-20, TT 25, and Gray somewhere around 10, have a good rotation of people in, get work for the kiddies (esp. Noah this year), and still wind up with everyone having fresh legs come April.
ZoomSlowik
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Jul 17 2007, 11:12 AM) *
With the depth we now have in our frontcourt (wow, that's fun to say) and the youth we have up there who could benefit from increased playing time, I'd rather his minutes be more like 20 per game. Especially given that he's on the wrong side of 30, keeping a good rotation going is one of those things we can do to keep everyone healthy.

Across those 2 positions you could go Wallace 28, Smith 15-20, Noah 15-20, TT 25, and Gray somewhere around 10, have a good rotation of people in, get work for the kiddies (esp. Noah this year), and still wind up with everyone having fresh legs come April.

Wallace will still get around 35 regardless, we're not paying him $15 mil a year to be on the bench for 20 minutes a game. He's still our best defender and rebounder, and Skiles clearly trusts him a lot more than the other guys.
Chisoxfn
Great post BG. I definitely think Smith brings something that the Bulls haven't had since Eddy Curry. No, he isn't the low post scorer Curry is but he is at least a guy that can provide some offense from the 4 and will make the Bulls a little less of a jump shooting team.

Mix that with some development of Tyrus (which should happen) and you should see a more agressive offense to help counter all of the Bulls strong jump shooters. It obvioulsy isn't the ideal low post threat you'd like, but its a definite upgrade over the past two years.
DutheDoduhon21
thats a great way to look at smith, i really think hes going to be what we needed this year, we went from one of the worst front courts, and now have a very solid rotation with wallace,smith, thomas, noah, and even gray. i think he will start ( i think i actualy rread somewhere that he signed with the bulls because they told him he would), and that will give him about 25 min, and with the stats BG pulled up we should have pretty good production out of him, just what we needed, great signing by pax.
dasox24
QUOTE (DutheDoduhon21 @ Jul 17 2007, 12:44 PM) *
thats a great way to look at smith, i really think hes going to be what we needed this year, we went from one of the worst front courts, and now have a very solid rotation with wallace,smith, thomas, noah, and even gray. i think he will start ( i think i actualy rread somewhere that he signed with the bulls because they told him he would), and that will give him about 25 min, and with the stats BG pulled up we should have pretty good production out of him, just what we needed, great signing by pax.

Actually, according to Smith himself, they never talked about whether he'd start or not. The Bulls sold him on what he could do to help this team get to the next level, etc. I imagine he'll start at first for sure, though. But, if Tyrus develops like we're hoping, Smith maybe would come off the bench in the latter part of the season. Either way, I don't think it matters b/c he'll still always be getting about 20 mpg. I just really love adding Smith to this now deep frontcourt.
DutheDoduhon21
yeah your right about smith not getting told he would start or not, it was another player that was just signed, not by the bulls, i just cant remember who now, its going to drive me nuts. unsure.gif
sport1016
From everything i've read, between the smith and TT articles, it seems that it will be smith's job to lose.

He will come into training camp as the starting 4, but Trus is going to be given the chance to win the job.

I agree with others though, that TT will probably start the 2nd half of the season.
RME JICO
Either way there will be a fresh PF in there at all times.
Chicago Bulls Franchise
I'm very glad we got Joe Smith. I hope he gets the minutes to prove his worth because I think he can be a good scorer and we can use that if he's a starter or if he's coming off the bench. I don't mind who starts because Smith is a vet who can teach Tyrus a thing or two about how to pick your spots on the court and how to do certain things in different situations.
sport1016
just a little blurb from the latest trib article that addresses Smith's LOW POST SCORING

Smith is hoping to fatten up on playoff success after making six first-round exits in his 12 NBA seasons. A long-time admirer of the Bulls' style, he insists his game goes beyond the mid-range pick-and-pop jumper.

"In Philly last year, they used me a lot on the block, and I was able to get things accomplished whether it was for myself or drawing the double team and finding open guys," Smith said. "I have a lot of confidence in what I can do on the block as well as what I can do away from the block.

"Posting up is what got me here, from college to my first few years in the league. I started developing the mid-range game when I started playing with Kevin Garnett [in Minnesota] because he was the main post-up guy. I had to spread the defense a bit. But I still feel comfortable with what I can do with my back to the basket."

yippee.
RME JICO
QUOTE (sport1016 @ Jul 19 2007, 02:08 AM) *
just a little blurb from the latest trib article that addresses Smith's LOW POST SCORING
yippee.
I really hope he is able to draw double teams. That alone would be just as big as his low post scoring, especially the way our guys can slash to the basket.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.