Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thomas Gardner invited to Bulls camp
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
madisonsmadhouse
We aren't talking about a guy with much of a chance, but he is a big guard, so he might be worth keeping an eye on for future reference

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2007/Jul/20070722Spor004.asp

● GARDNER TO CAMP WITH BULLS: Former Missouri standout Thomas Gardner could be close to realizing his NBA dream. The 6-5 shooting guard confirmed yesterday that he will take part in the Chicago Bulls’ training camp in October, an opportunity earned with his performance for the organization’s summer-league squad.

Gardner, who finished second in the Big 12 Conference in scoring as a junior in the 2005-06 season, left Columbia after that campaign but was not taken in the NBA draft. He wound up playing for Verviers-Pepinster in the Belgium League last season. He averaged 12.2 points and helped the team reach the semifinals of the Belgium Cup.

"People said I would lose a lot of time and get lost not finishing my senior year in college, but it was good for me," Gardner said earlier this week. "Going to Belgium gave me the chance to play better competition, older players, and I got to see a different style of basketball."

Gardner said he enjoyed his year overseas. His older brother Daryl spent the first three months living with him to help ease the adjustment to living in a foreign country. It also helped that he landed on a roster filled with former American college players, including Wake Forest’s Justin Gray, Syracuse’s Billy Edelin, Iowa’s Greg Brunner and Alabama-Birmingham’s Squeaky Johnson. And playing only a 40-game schedule, he had enough free time to see the sights of Belgium and a few other parts of Europe, as well.

But when he returned to the United States in May, he turned his attention to landing an NBA job. A Chicago Bulls scout, impressed with Gardner’s play both at Missouri and Belgium, paved the way for him to play on the Bulls’ summer-league squad, first in Orlando and then last week in Salt Lake City.

In Orlando, Gardner averaged 9.2 points on 15-for-38 shooting while playing alongside current Bulls Tyrus Thomas and Thabo Sefolosha.

With none of Chicago’s regulars playing in Salt Lake City last week, Gardner had a chance to shine. He averaged a team-high 17.3 points per game and scored 21 and 20 points in consecutive games on Thursday and Friday. He also saw time guarding Acie Law IV, J.J. Redick, Adam Morrison and Kevin Durant, all lottery picks the past two seasons.

He did enough to earn an invitation to training camp, where he is expected to compete for one of the final spots on the Bulls’ 15-man roster. If he fails to make the team, he’ll likely head back to Europe for another season.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reach Steve Walentik at (573) 815-1788 or swalentik@tribmail.com.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Balta1701-B
Maybe he's #15 if Duhon is moved?
sport1016
we only have 14 ppl on our roster, but pax has said he might want to go into the season with one empty spot just in case something or someone oomes up

hinrich/duhon/curry
gordon/thabo/griffin
deng/noc/khryapa
smith/tyrus
wallace/noah/gray

dasox24
Great news for Gardner! Earlier, I said in a different thread that I hoped he'd get invited to another team's training camp b/c I didn't think he had a shot at making our team. However, if we trade Duhon, I think he'll have a great shot at beating out Barrett and whoever else we bring in. I'll be rooting for this guy, whatever happens.
danman31
QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jul 24 2007, 03:12 PM) *
Great news for Gardner! Earlier, I said in a different thread that I hoped he'd get invited to another team's training camp b/c I didn't think he had a shot at making our team. However, if we trade Duhon, I think he'll have a great shot at beating out Barrett and whoever else we bring in. I'll be rooting for this guy, whatever happens.

Yeah, it's a good story. That article doesn't mention that a big part of the reason he left early was for the money and that he knew he probably wasn't going to get drafted by the NBA. Gardner has a pro body, but he is a one dimensional player. He can score, but I don't think the Bulls are going to want a player like that for the 15th man. That is unless he drastically improved his playing style.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.