Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jermaine o'Neal
TalkBulls Forums > Nothing But Net > Bulls Talk
ChicagoBullsMadison
Im thinkin joe smith, ben gordon, and joakim noah. 20 10 guy and 2nd leading shotblocker in the nba. only 28 and has a great post game. rolls great off pick and rolls and hits up out to 18 feet. thoughts?
Balta1701-B
First of all, by rule, free agents can not be traded until either 3 months have passed or December 15th comes, whichever is later, so Joe Smith can not be dealt until after December 15th.

Second of all, JO has a $19 million salary right now, and Smith + Gordon + Noah comes to just over $12 million, so you're not even close on the salaries.

And third, I still don't want the guy even if he was a steal, which that deal is not. I'm still not convinced in the least that he can stay healthy, I'm also not convinced he'd be that much better than what we already have, and most importantly, I'm convinced what we do have will be both better and cheaper than he is just a year or two down the road.
DrunkBomber
Theres not many guys in the NBA I would want on my team less than Jermaine O'Neal. The guy is a punk, plain and simple. Hearing him rant about racism in interviews, and then seeing him deck a fan in the Malice at the Palace who wasnt even suspecting it...Pass.
b-riann
QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Aug 4 2007, 04:42 PM) *
Theres not many guys in the NBA I would want on my team less than Jermaine O'Neal. The guy is a punk, plain and simple. Hearing him rant about racism in interviews, and then seeing him deck a fan in the Malice at the Palace who wasnt even suspecting it...Pass.

you're right. not to mention he was hurt last season, and i dont want this guy's $19 million to get hurt
RME JICO
20/10 is not a big deal when you are on a crappy team. I would rather keep what we got. There is no way ONeal would offset the lost output from Gordon/Noah/Smith.
eddog2
QUOTE (Balta1701-B @ Aug 4 2007, 04:36 PM) *
I'm also not convinced he'd be that much better than what we already have, and most importantly, I'm convinced what we do have will be both better and cheaper than he is just a year or two down the road.

Now, I agree with what you say about him not being the best value b/c of the large contract, but no way in hell the rest of our PF's are better than he is. He's one of the best PF's in the game. He may have an injury problem but he's definately a Bosh type offensive player. He has a great post up game, he's a decent free throw shooter, he scores, he rebounds well, & he blocks shots.

I'll be the first to say I don't want him on this team, but it's not b/c I don't think he a significant upgrade, it's b/c I don't like his attitude.
Balta1701-B
QUOTE (eddog2 @ Aug 4 2007, 08:44 PM) *
I'll be the first to say I don't want him on this team, but it's not b/c I don't think he a significant upgrade, it's b/c I don't like his attitude.

I know he's a very good player, but at least to my eyes, I think the stuff we have certainly has the potential to close the gap very, very rapidly, because I think we've drafted pretty well, esp with doubleT. But. we'll see soon enough.
dasox24
QUOTE (RME JICO @ Aug 4 2007, 06:15 PM) *
There is no way ONeal would offset the lost output from Gordon/Noah/Smith.

That's a pretty big reason for me not wanting O'Neal. If he can't match the production of the 2 big guys (let alone adding BG into that equation too) we trade for him, why would we? I could very well see Smith and Noah combining to put up at least 15 and 10. That's pretty close to O'Neal's 20 and 10... And then you throw in what Gordon will avg. next year, that's a lot of lost points per game.

Then, of course, throw in the fact that he has a terrible attitude, and I really would hate having him on this team. Anyway, this discussion is pretty much moot b/c he's not at all the type of player either Pax or Skiles would want on this team, so there's no chance of us adding him.
Balta1701-B
This almost fits in too many threads...

JO wants traded to pref. the Lakers, if not them, then maybe the Nets.
greasywheels121
Get him out of here. Please.
madisonsmadhouse
I don't think the Pacers would want to help us out, and I don't think the salaries would match up without the Bulls giving up too much to get the deal done.
dasox24
QUOTE (greasywheels121 @ Aug 6 2007, 02:58 PM) *
Get him out of here. Please.

I think that says it all right there.
sport1016
if NJ gets ONeal for Jefferson and Krstic or something like that the nets are going to be very very dangerous

I woul say kidd, carter and JO is = or better than allen, pierce, KG or at least will be a better team bc they wouldnt have to gut their youth and depth to get JO

I just hope he goes out west or stays on a bad team. He could return to his MVP calliber form with a little motivation and health luck
madisonsmadhouse
QUOTE (sport1016 @ Aug 8 2007, 02:41 PM) *
if NJ gets ONeal for Jefferson and Krstic or something like that the nets are going to be very very dangerous

I woul say kidd, carter and JO is = or better than allen, pierce, KG or at least will be a better team bc they wouldnt have to gut their youth and depth to get JO
I just hope he goes out west or stays on a bad team. He could return to his MVP calliber form with a little motivation and health luck

Well you also have to pray that those guys will stay healthy and motivated. Both of which have been problems for Carter and Oneal.
ZoomSlowik

I'd still take Boston's guys. Even when he's healthy O'Neal is a step down from Garnett, Pierce doesn't have as many injury/motivation problems as Carter, and though Kidd has more value to the team than Allen he isn't anywhere near as dangerous a scorer, which is pretty key when depth is an issue.

Actually, I'd argue that that's a WORSE gutting of the team, because you're giving up two highly productive players. Jefferson and Kristic both average in the teens when they're healthy. You're improving the D and rebounding, but you're losing around 12-15 points of offensive production that'll be hard to replace. Their bench is moderately better than Boston's, but Nachbar-Magloire-Boone-Williams still doesn't exactly inspire fear in your opponents, they'd have to hope that Sean Williams stays away from the pot. Combine that with the declining offensive prowess of Kidd and Carter potentially coasting again now that he got paid, that could really hurt. I'd actually rather have Jefferson and Kristic, assuming both are healthy of course (not exactly a safe bet, though you could say the same about O'Neal).
Alpha Double Negative

I would say Kidd, Carter, and JO is far worse than the Celtics' threesome. And you're right they wouldn't have to gut their youth and depth. They don't have any to begin with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.